Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2020 10:32:26 PM EDT
I decided to start a hydroponic garden since its only warm for 4 months here and our store's produce is terrible. Like $4 for the ugliest looking romaine heart ever. Seriously.

I'm planning on growing cucumbers, potatoes, carrots, onions, peppers, tomatoes, brussels sprouts, and mint.

I bought a propagation dome, grow tent, lights and fans.

Started the seedlings on Dec 7th while I wait for my lights to show up. I ordered two Spider Farm grow lights.

Seedlings today.

Click To View Spoiler

I'm growing the potatoes and cucumbers in 55 gallon plastic drums.

Click To View Spoiler

The potatoes will be aeroponics. I'm going to drill and tap the pipes for spray nozzles and have it inside a barrel.

Click To View Spoiler

Everything will be grown inside of an 8x8 grow tent.

Click To View Spoiler

Using fert I bought, but I will be using dry fertilizer after. I got a conductivity pen and PH pen.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Very impressive.
Looking forward to following along.

What size are your lights?

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very impressive.
Looking forward to following along.

What size are your lights?

View Quote

26x21”

450W each

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 1:16:48 AM EDT
[#3]
you might look at Masterblend 4-18-38 with added calcium nitrate 15.5-0-0, available from Morgan county seed.Water soluble, mixed as a dilute solution. I've had good luck with it, as have others.look up mhpgardener on youtube. be careful how you mix it, as improper mixing can lead to nutrient lockout.

eta: looking forward to aeroponic potatoes
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 1:48:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
you might look at Masterblend 4-18-38 with added calcium nitrate 15.5-0-0, available from Morgan county seed.Water soluble, mixed as a dilute solution. I've had good luck with it, as have others.look up mhpgardener on youtube. be careful how you mix it, as improper mixing can lead to nutrient lockout.

View Quote

I’ll look into that, thanks!
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

The MHP Gardiner special.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 12:30:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The MHP Gardiner special.
View Quote
Leon Sloan had a couple of videos about it, as well. Gardening with Leon on youtube. It worked well for me this past year.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I think I need a stronger light for my dome. The lettuce got leggy and fell over. Probably not going to live. The dome comes with an 17 watt light. I tried to raise them up closer to the light but it was too late.

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Aeroponic setup works awesome. 360 degree nozzles spaced 6”.

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Finally got one of my lights. Its ridiculously bright.

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Just an update. The light burnt off pretty much every except for my tomatoes and a lettuce plant. I only had it at 50% brightness. I was watering them twice a day.

Time to start pretty much over.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#11]
yeah, lots of trial and error there. i had a very successful first super hot pepper outdoor season, and am in the process of overwintering some of the mature plants i saved and cut back, as well as growing seedlings from those peppers. so far, mixed results and not what i had ideally hoped for, but still experimenting and if i can get all my mature plants overwintered without losing them , and they can be replanted and produce peppers again, ill call that a success.

nice set up by the way, much bigger than what i have
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
yeah, lots of trial and error there. i had a very successful first super hot pepper outdoor season, and am in the process of overwintering some of the mature plants i saved and cut back, as well as growing seedlings from those peppers. so far, mixed results and not what i had ideally hoped for, but still experimenting and if i can get all my mature plants overwintered without losing them , and they can be replanted and produce peppers again, ill call that a success.

View Quote

How many peppers does a plant produce?

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#13]
You can supplement your dome light with just some cheap LED under cabinet lights or something similar and just  have them shine through the dome in a safe position where it won't get hot or melt something.

In one of my college classes I had to grow this little plant on my own for a semester project. I lived in a shitty college dorm with only one window that faced west, which in Texas might was well be a pizza oven.

This was 25 years ago, and LED's for this kind of application were still kind of unheard of, so I went down to Walmart and bought one of those cheap ass $15 florescent grow light tubes and a cheap plug in fixture for it. I emptied one of the cabinets in my room, lined it with aluminum foil, put my plant in there with the grow light.

2 things happened.

It got hot in the little cabinet, like 90+ degrees and my plant stretched like stupid.

So I bought another cheap, white florescent tube and fixture, put it in there. That fixed the light problem, but didn't fix the heat problem.

I went to the store and bought like 10 ft of 4" dryer vent tube. I attached it to the AC vent in my room with cardboard and blew air directly into the cabinet. So 24 hours a day, I was blowing 72 degree air through there with optimal lighting. Shit grew like stupid.

When I turned it in at the end of the year, several people accused me of cheating and buying a new plant. The reality is, it's not that hard. It's like baking a cake, put in the right ingredients and bake it for the right amount of time and you'll have great results.

So consider how much light you need and how much heat it's generating.

Also look up "damping off" which is Phytophthora. Too much moisture can cause your seedlings to melt off. You may want to consider using a water sanitizer with something that uses hydrogen peroxide or at least a UV light. Lots of options here, just do some research.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You can supplement your dome light with just some cheap LED under cabinet lights or something similar and just  have them shine through the dome in a safe position where it won't get hot or melt something.

In one of my college classes I had to grow this little plant on my own for a semester project. I lived in a shitty college dorm with only one window that faced west, which in Texas might was well be a pizza oven.

This was 25 years ago, and LED's for this kind of application were still kind of unheard of, so I went down to Walmart and bought one of those cheap ass $15 florescent grow light tubes and a cheap plug in fixture for it. I emptied one of the cabinets in my room, lined it with aluminum foil, put my plant in there with the grow light.

2 things happened.

It got hot in the little cabinet, like 90+ degrees and my plant stretched like stupid.

So I bought another cheap, white florescent tube and fixture, put it in there. That fixed the light problem, but didn't fix the heat problem.

I went to the store and bought like 10 ft of 4" dryer vent tube. I attached it to the AC vent in my room with cardboard and blew air directly into the cabinet. So 24 hours a day, I was blowing 72 degree air through there with optimal lighting. Shit grew like stupid.

When I turned it in at the end of the year, several people accused me of cheating and buying a new plant. The reality is, it's not that hard. It's like baking a cake, put in the right ingredients and bake it for the right amount of time and you'll have great results.

So consider how much light you need and how much heat it's generating.

Also look up "damping off" which is Phytophthora. Too much moisture can cause your seedlings to melt off. You may want to consider using a water sanitizer with something that uses hydrogen peroxide or at least a UV light. Lots of options here, just do some research.
View Quote

Thanks for the advice. I think they were damping off. The dome had condensation on it and I was removing it at night. I did seem some mold growing. Now that I have the lights, I won’t use the dome after they emerge.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i got about 1200 peppers out of 18 plants, so about 60-70 each on average. some a lot more, some less, but a decent average i thought.  mostly grew in 5 gallon buckets, or similar sized. a handful planted in dirt when i ran out of room on deck as they grew. im glad i kept a spreadsheet of peppers and quantities i picked, for future reference, but otherwise i would never have guessed i would have picked that many. gave them away, ate them, dried them, froze most, split and drop into beer, and made 4 different sauces.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
i got about 1200 peppers out of 18 plants, so about 60-70 each on average. some a lot more, some less, but a decent average i thought.  mostly grew in 5 gallon buckets, or similar sized. a handful planted in dirt when i ran out of room on deck as they grew. im glad i kept a spreadsheet of peppers and quantities i picked, for future reference, but otherwise i would never have guessed i would have picked that many. gave them away, ate them, dried them, froze most, split and drop into beer, and made 4 different sauces.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice, that's impressive.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Really happy how they are turning out. You can see how the tomato had light burn on the leaves. They dropped all these roots in a day or so.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Great thread. Thanks for posting and keep it going please!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:27:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Really happy how they are turning out. You can see how the tomato had light burn on the leaves. They dropped all these roots in a day or so.

https://i.imgur.com/KcdsmnR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/npnpm5X.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/29f2Q2Z.jpg
View Quote

You can pinch those burnt leaves off since they should come off anyway. Look into pruning and topping if you’re not familiar with those already.

ETA:  Do you have a link to the light?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:55:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You can pinch those burnt leaves off since they should come off anyway. Look into pruning and topping if you’re not familiar with those already.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering if I should or not.

My second light just came in.

https://www.spider-farmer.com/products/sf-4000-led-grow-light
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:42:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Water quality can make a big difference in nutrient availability. Having good (low ec, ppm and Total Dissolved Solids) goes a long way with preventing nutrient availability/lockout.

I’m very sure you are aware of all this, but just a reminder.

Also, fertilizer salts can build up in your medium which can give ya problems, too!

Nice set up! Good luck and enjoy caring for your garden.

Also, pests enjoy the same conditions as your garden does. Keep an eye out for that stuff, too!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:48:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You can pinch those burnt leaves off since they should come off anyway. Look into pruning and topping if you're not familiar with those already.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can pinch those burnt leaves off since they should come off anyway. Look into pruning and topping if you're not familiar with those already.

plenty of other leaves at this point, so ill second trimming off those burnt ones. youll have more than you can handle in short order anyway
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:02:08 AM EDT
[#23]
They call rockwool "rotwool" for a reason. Coco coir isn't much different.

I put seed in pro-mix. Once the root system is large enough for a net pot, I rinse away the pro-mix by dipping in a 5 gallon pail of RO, then feed as many roots through the net pot before filling with hydroton.

You can't let the hydroton stay wet, except maybe the very bottom 1/2" or you will encourage root rot. If your sprayers are spraying the nettie itself, you'll kill the roots. Same for DWC, the water should be 1" or so below the net pot. The bubbling will hydrate the roots well before they reach the water.

You also should keep the water temp below 72F, or again, root rot. I shoot for 68F. That's a perfect temp for hydro once the roots are developed enough.

Also, on lights. 10w/sqft is plenty for seedlings and for the first couple weeks. 25w/sqft is plenty for the entire vegetation cycle. Once my plants are set to 12hrs light to fruit, I up it to 50w/sqft of LED, plus another 5w/sqft of UV.
I get amazing results.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Water quality can make a big difference in nutrient availability. Having good (low ec, ppm and Total Dissolved Solids) goes a long way with preventing nutrient availability/lockout.

I’m very sure you are aware of all this, but just a reminder.

Also, fertilizer salts can build up in your medium which can give ya problems, too!

Nice set up! Good luck and enjoy caring for your garden.

Also, pests enjoy the same conditions as your garden does. Keep an eye out for that stuff, too!
View Quote

Thanks, we have quite the water filtration here. It should be good. If I have problems I’ll take a sample tested.

Quoted:
plenty of other leaves at this point, so ill second trimming off those burnt ones. youll have more than you can handle in short order anyway
View Quote

Got it done. Felt like an albatross around my neck.

Quoted:
They call rockwool "rotwool" for a reason. Coco coir isn't much different.

I put seed in pro-mix. Once the root system is large enough for a net pot, I rinse away the pro-mix by dipping in a 5 gallon pail of RO, then feed as many roots through the net pot before filling with hydroton.

You can't let the hydroton stay wet, except maybe the very bottom 1/2" or you will encourage root rot. If your sprayers are spraying the nettie itself, you'll kill the roots. Same for DWC, the water should be 1" or so below the net pot. The bubbling will hydrate the roots well before they reach the water.

You also should keep the water temp below 72F, or again, root rot. I shoot for 68F. That's a perfect temp for hydro once the roots are developed enough.

Also, on lights. 10w/sqft is plenty for seedlings and for the first couple weeks. 25w/sqft is plenty for the entire vegetation cycle. Once my plants are set to 12hrs light to fruit, I up it to 50w/sqft of LED, plus another 5w/sqft of UV.
I get amazing results.
View Quote

I bought a huge bag of prosoil and started more seeds, thanks for your advice. Also drained some water out of my DWC.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only you can decide. Pruning is a way to control how your plant grows, out vs. up primarily, but can also be used to control unnecessary leaves. Topping is only used on indeterminate (grows forever) species so depending on what kind of tomatoes you’re growing will determine if it’s an option.  Being indoors will obviously be a deciding factor, but you could wrap the vines completely around the room if you’re going an indeterminate species.

I watch a YouTuber called Self Sufficient Me for tons of gardening tips.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:46:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Only you can decide. Pruning is a way to control how your plant grows, out vs. up primarily, but can also be used to control unnecessary leaves. Topping is only used on indeterminate (grows forever) species so depending on what kind of tomatoes you’re growing will determine if it’s an option.  Being indoors will obviously be a deciding factor, but you could wrap the vines completely around the room if you’re going an indeterminate species.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am growing Tasti Lee, determinates.

I will check them out, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I think I might switch to all aeroponics eventually. Then I can easily run a chiller, don't have to keep dumping individual pails out and I only have to monitor one water source.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Lettuce is looking awesome, I had the EC at 3.6 accidentally and dropped to it 2.7. Tomatoes fell over, thought about staking them but at least they won't grow as high now.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:27:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Such a good thread,  please keep updating!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Such a good thread,  please keep updating!
View Quote

This! Did this a few years back with Tomatoes, Jalapenos and Bell Peppers. Moved and never set back up. This may be some motivation to do so!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#31]
My tomatoes look terrible, I think it might have nutrient lockout. The EC and pH looked good though, but I changed the water just incase. I did order some big trays (43x43") to run a water chiller, it will take two months to get here from the States.

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm going to harvest the lettuce this week. I think thai lettuce wraps sounds good.

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#33]
I may have missed it but are you running a fan of any sort in the tent? If not your tomatoes may have fell over because the stems are a bit weak. The air circulation helps to strengthen the cell structures (like plant exercise) and also helps prevent mildew and such.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I may have missed it but are you running a fan of any sort in the tent? If not your tomatoes may have fell over because the stems are a bit weak. The air circulation helps to strengthen the cell structures (like plant exercise) and also helps prevent mildew and such.
View Quote

I have an oscillating fan and a 6" inline fan

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:46:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I am playing with it as well. Just on alot smaller scale. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I am playing with it as well. Just on alot smaller scale. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/261590/87315_jpeg-1806296.JPG
View Quote

That's a nice set up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That's a nice set up.
View Quote

So I was contemplating doing something like you. This huge setup but in my greenhouse I just built. I am using this aero garden to have a revolving door of veggies/herbs/whatever grows in water that I start here and put out in my greenhouse. The greenhouse will allow it to grow approx 2-3 months longer meanwhile I can grow in the dead of winter indoors.

That's my thought anyway but I am probably wrong...
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I broke off 8 leaves and made thai lettuce wraps.. Turned out awesome.

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/CgF0WWO.jpg
View Quote

How long does it take to regrow?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/CgF0WWO.jpg

Probably won’t take long. It’s been growing pretty fast.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Lettuce has exploded. Tomatoes still look sad. The starts to bloom after 3 months.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Looks great!

You should prune all the suckers off that tomato though!

I also use a cheapo electric toothbrush to pollinate the tomatoes (just vibrate the flower clusters to increase the pollen release).  Increases the fruit production.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Looks great!

You should prune all the suckers off that tomato though!

I also use a cheapo electric toothbrush to pollinate the tomatoes (just vibrate the flower clusters to increase the pollen release).  Increases the fruit production.
View Quote

I’ll get to that next week thanks. I’ve been away working for a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#44]
The tomatos look a little stressed. The under curl of the leaves can signify a few different things but is often associated with over watering. You may want to look into lowering your water level in the buckets if the roots are submerged to allow more air exposure. Your nutrient concentration could be a little hot as well or they could be too crowded and not getting enough air circulation. What are your air/water temperatures and what is the humidity level in the tent?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The tomatos look a little stressed. The under curl of the leaves can signify a few different things but is often associated with over watering. You may want to look into lowering your water level in the buckets if the roots are submerged to allow more air exposure. Your nutrient concentration could be a little hot as well or they could be too crowded and not getting enough air circulation. What are your air/water temperatures and what is the humidity level in the tent?
View Quote

It’s most likely from being dry, it was -40 here and I had a hard time keeping the humidity up.

Also I have in floor heat which makes the water temp high. Just waiting for some large trays so I can run a water chiller.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I'll second the masterblend recommendation above, its really good and its cheap since its all dried components. You arent paying for water.

You might try a soilless mix for your tomatoes. I decided to go w/that since it seemed lower maintenance and its worked really really well. You essentially set up a bucket/pot/container w/a mix of peat moss or coco coir and perlite, I think I've got about 80%-90% peat or coir and the rest perlite. You water it w/your hydroponic nutrient every few days, I usually do a rotation of full strength, half strength, then just plain water to prevent burning, but I dont know if thats completely necessary. I set up the containers w/a reservoir and lava rocks at the bottom to give some leeway if I'm late or miss a day or two.

In my case, I set up to grow indoor what I though was a dwarf determine variety of cherry tomato, and it ended up being an indeterminate variety. Despite being in fairly small buckets for 6 foot plus vines they grew into (1 gallon maybe) I havent had any real problems keeping the tomatoes alive and producing without much attention. Now that its warmed up I can get the damn things outside and go with some tomato seeds not from some idiot off ebay.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Bump for update?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Things aren't looking good. I got really busy at working and was burnt out. The lettuce went to seed and my garage got so hot the tomatoes died. I pulled the plug. I will start over when I'm feeling better.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Things aren't looking good. I got really busy at working and was burnt out. The lettuce went to seed and my garage got so hot the tomatoes died. I pulled the plug. I will start over when I'm feeling better.
View Quote

How hot did you get your garage that they died?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top