Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2019 4:03:52 PM EDT
Since I live in a population dense environment, HOA antenna restricted area and an RF nightmare of QRM from close living proximity among houses, I decided I make a Go Box that I can lug to remote areas that is ready to go for all my communications desires in lower noise environments.  I wanted everything to be turn-key minus power and antenna setups.  Buy once cry once.
Attachment Attached File

What i built:
- HF/VHF/UHF radios with Icom IC-7300 and Yaesu FTM-400xd
- Alinco DM-430T 30amp power supply with front Powerpole connectors for added flexibility
- RigRunner 4008 with 8 Powerpole connectors for power distribution.
- West Mountain Radio Epic PWRGate for power source management. Includes connections for 13.8V power supply input, battery back-up input with moderate current charging(10amp), and a solar input for operation and charging.
- An LDG RT-100 remote tuner that is stored in the rear and can be removed and placed at the antenna  if needed. Power injector and control is mounted in the front.
- Rear power strip 120v
- I custom created a from panel out of 1/8”
aluminum bar to place all the inputs from the rear of the radios to the front: CW key, FTM-400 mic, FTM-400 data USB connection, 7300 USB and ACC, a USB power connection, and an audio switch I created out of a 4PDT switch that can switch the audio between the two radios and the two speakers.  I wanted the Kenwood speakers as their audio quality is great. Due to space considerations I placed them one behind the other both facing forward.  But the rear speaker loses some treble so I added the switcher to flip which radio uses the from speaker for the better sound quality.
- A 6U gator box with shortened depth
- A 1U drawer for mics, CW key, cables, manuals and paper.
- two steel shelves. The top shelf is inverted and the upper equipment is hanging from it.
- A rear 1U panel blank that has the antenna and power connections
- A 12v LED flexible lamp for night time use.

Items were installed to the shelves with mounts and screws where available, large Velcro strips or large zip ties.  The front panel is mounted with drilled and tapped holes in the two shelves.  The FTM-400  main unit and display panel were mounted inverted and on drawer slides so I can slide out the FTM-400 to get access to the front connections as they would be blocked once all is installed.

Things to do next: mic hooks, a 12v voltage and power meter to be inserted inline with the rigrunner, and a main power cutoff switch for the rigrunner.

The system is paired up with a Buddipole system, roll-up dual band J pole, and a 33ft telescopic pole for holding a wire or be an apex of a inverted
V dipole.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 4:18:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow!
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice job.  I'm jelly.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#3]

seriously tho, that's pretty cool
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Isn’t that what we all are here in the Ham Forum?

Thank you for the comment. It was damn fun to build.  A month ago I had the idea and I’ve been on a mission mapping out my options and buying all the parts.  Amazon was pretty good at getting all the case and rack components.  Some trial and error in trying to see what fits here and there.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Isn’t that what we all are here in the Ham Forum?

Thank you for the comment. It was damn fun to build.  A month ago I had the idea and I’ve been on a mission mapping out my options and buying all the parts.  Amazon was pretty good at getting all the case and rack components.  Some trial and error in trying to see what fits here and there.
View Quote
I see your label-fu is strong grasshoper
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I assume you'd have to remove both ends before use for airflow. how hot does that thing get?
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#7]
That's a very nice setup.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I see your label-fu is strong grasshoper
View Quote
Thanks. A little crooked but makes sense.  Since it’s for encomm use, I wanted other hams to know each part. May make an instruction book for the unit. Now if I can find white on black label tape and place them with tweezers instead of my fat fingers, then it will look mo profeshunal.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I assume you'd have to remove both ends before use for airflow. how hot does that thing get?
View Quote
Yes, front and back are removed. There is lots of open space around the radios and power supply so plenty of ventilation.  They each have fans.
I’ve only done some lower power data and CW so far and haven’t noticed any heat build up.  If I do notice heat build up, I’ll install a fan and internal thermometer to keep an eye on things.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice!
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:43:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Very nice!!

I want to build a go box but I barely have time to operate the rig that sits on the desk in my home office.

Some day....
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice build Op!

Congrats, you made the list!
View Quote
Thank you to you and everyone.  I didn’t know we had an emcomm sticky so I’m reading up to see what else I can do or update.

I’ve been reading that some of the advice is not to have fuses. Why is that? For in the event of not having spares you can keep operating?  If so, I can just throw in a Powerpole bus or extra fuses.

Thanks.

Also, I’ll add a few pics of my battery, solar and gen setup soon.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, some like breakers over fuses. I went with fuses, and can't remember why
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Very nice, and very professional looking!  Well thought out, logical, all that.

Two thumbs up!

~ Jup
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Very nice and neat job.  

How much does it weigh?
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Two thumbs up!

~ Jup
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Two thumbs up!

~ Jup
Thank you

Quoted:
Very nice and neat job.  

How much does it weigh?
Thank you. 61 pounds. No batteries inside.  The steel drawer and shelves add a lot of weight.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#18]
wow very cool
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top