Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 11:47:28 PM EDT
[#1]
How far can bees see?

Think I'm gonna buy a book.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Checked on the new queen today and the whole hive seems more populated and active. The queen has escaped her box and hopefully will begin laying eggs right away. The frame of brood I stole from the other hive seems to be ok. I'm optimistic, I guess.
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#3]
So, is there any honey then?
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 7:02:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KG5S] [#4]
You guys are a freakin hoot in the vids !!!!!

Where did you get the package bees and were they shipped to your door ?   I tried to order package bees this spring but didn't find anybody that would ship to my door, it was all bulk ship to a location with many other beeks for pickup only !

I have one hive , it's a strong hive but would like about 5 more !

Link Posted: 6/27/2010 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 11:39:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I just watched the videos again..that's pretty much exactly how we sound all the time. He yells at me, I ignore him, rinse, repeat. But we have fun.

I didn't get the hive painted. I wonder if I could use some kind of bumper sticker on the outside instead.
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:
Originally Posted By SFENDER:

Of course there is––that's what they use to make the wax to build the combs.  They also feed upon it.  

If you mean "is there any honey surplus for you to take?"––the answer is no, not this year.  The colony must be built up and established.  Maybe next year, if things go well, and if they don't winter kill, and if there is a good nectar flow, and if the parasites don't get them, and if various virus diseases don't get them, etc.    

Cool, thanks. I just bought some local honey yesterday at a farmers market. It was a little pricey but worth it. I love that stuff.
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 1:50:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA22-400] [#8]
Originally Posted By Barbara:
I just watched the videos again..that's pretty much exactly how we sound all the time. He yells at me, I ignore him, rinse, repeat. But we have fun.

I didn't get the hive painted. I wonder if I could use some kind of bumper sticker on the outside instead.

I'm sure that all self respecting Arfcom bees can tell the difference between an AR bolt face and an AK bolt face.

Link Posted: 6/28/2010 2:09:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: iNuhBaDNayburhood] [#9]
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#10]

They're very docile. They must not know you.
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By KG5S:
You guys are a freakin hoot in the vids !!!!!

Where did you get the package bees and were they shipped to your door ?   I tried to order package bees this spring but didn't find anybody that would ship to my door, it was all bulk ship to a location with many other beeks for pickup only !

I have one hive , it's a strong hive but would like about 5 more !

???
Link Posted: 7/2/2010 6:54:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I ordered them from Rossman.

Will open up the hive probably Monday to make sure the new queen is doing her job.
Link Posted: 7/3/2010 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Barbara:
I ordered them from Rossman.

Will open up the hive probably Monday to make sure the new queen is doing her job.

Thanks for the info !

I'll check with them in the spring to see if they will ship to my door instead of pickup only.  I have brandnew hives just sitting here and they need bees !
Link Posted: 7/3/2010 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Backstop:
How far can bees see?

Gonna teach them to read?
Link Posted: 7/3/2010 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
How far can bees see?

Gonna teach them to read?

Well yeah.

They need to learn their ABeeC's, and about the birds and the bees.

Lame joke, but that's all I got.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#16]
can you recommend a book on bee keeping please. thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 9:55:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#19]
What would be the initial cost of what Barbara did in her video?
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I finally got bees after several years of wanting them. A local bee keeper captured ten swarms this year. He buys a pheromone, sets a special hive in tree lines and captures bees when they swarm. He said that the last few years have produced a lot of food for the bees and that has caused so many swarms and that many people had called him about getting wild swarms off their property. Plus I have located a bee tree and next year we will set a bee hive out for them. It is one of the most fascinating hobbies, I really like it. The bee keeper will rob my hive next year and give me a few pounds of honey from my hive and next spring I will buy another hive and when he catches a swarm he will give it to me ( I had to force him to take money this year). He has 20 hives and all of the equipment, he is teaching me about bees and eventually I will buy the equipment to rob the hives and let him do the extracting. If you're thinking about getting bees, don't wait. I wish I had done this 10 years ago. If you want bees put an add in the paper, tell them you will buy the hive, bees and etc. and you will let them get the honey for a few pounds in return. Four days after I got my bees and telling a few friends that I had gotten them, one of my friends called after a storm and a large tree in his yard had fallen over and there were bees in it and he wanted to know if I wanted them. I called the bee keeper and two hours later we were chainsawing the tree and trying to get the bees. Unfortunately, they had swarmed leaving the honey, two 5 gal. buckets of comb. He will take most of it to feed some of his bees. He did set a hive out with comb and brood, to see if they would swarm back, but no luck.
Good luck,
BravoCharlie
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I think the one hive is just toast. The last time I had it open, the queen was alive and laying but there's just not much activity..the other one, though, is teaming with bees. Maybe I need to write it off and try again next year..its too late in the year to do much with it. Anyone have thoughts on this?

I haven't opened it up because its been very hot and the bees were hot and grumpy last time I did.

I
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I started two new hives this year. New hive bodies, frames, etc. Got the two new colonies by mail, got them going, supplemental feed and all. Good for about two weeks, noticed the east hive doing very well and the west hive declining. Got hurt and spent time in the hospital and recovery and didn't get to check hives for about three weeks. Population in the west hive still going down and the east still thriving  Now  the west hive is dead. I made the mistake of setting the hives about two yards apart facing the same direction, painted the same (white). I believe that there was something wrong with the queen in the west hive, I saw bees moving larvae out of the hive and dumping them over the edge. Ideas on that? East hive is strong. ???

So, I have access to a wild hive that I can get and move to the now empty hive. I'm in Texas, first freeze usually won't be till second week in Nov. Should I get the wild bees now or wait till spring?  Any advice would be appreciated.

GM
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 12:08:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 2:41:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:
Originally Posted By SFENDER:

Of course there is––that's what they use to make the wax to build the combs.  They also feed upon it.  

If you mean "is there any honey surplus for you to take?"––the answer is no, not this year.  The colony must be built up and established.  Maybe next year, if things go well, and if they don't winter kill, and if there is a good nectar flow, and if the parasites don't get them, and if various virus diseases don't get them, etc.    

What is a winter kill, just a prolonged period of cold weather? What temps can a bee withstand when they are dormant, and for how long?
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 5:40:59 AM EDT
[#25]
You should paint one with an AR boltface, the other with an AK boltface.

Let's see how smart they really are.

This cracked me up! Good luck with the bees Barb! I've often wondered about getting a hive brcause I enjoy making meads and honey-brown ales,and honey ain't cheap!
Also,I never realized you could get so much honey from them!
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 7:04:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Sounds like the one hive is doing well.  Nice work!  My father just got back into beekeeping this year.  He used to do it back when he was a kid.  Just started back with one hive this year but it is doing very well.  Have it down with the garden.  My son is helping out with the beekeeping, learning a lot, and having fun!  They just put the second super on this week.  Bees are doing so well, dad thinks we'll be able to pull a little honey from them this fall.  He's already gotten some people calling with bee trees that they want him to get the swarm from.  Probably have three or four hives next year.
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 7:25:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thebeekeeper1] [#27]
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 6:07:12 AM EDT
[#28]
What do you think I should do with the hive that's very weak. There's no way it will make it through the winter, but the other one seems very strong and is full of happy bees. Just let it die out on its own? How do I clean it out when that happens?
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll open it this weekend. Its been so hot and humid here, and the last time I opened the hive, the bees were very grumpy. But I don't believe there are enough to make it viable for the winter.

What happens to the queen in the smaller hive?
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I think she just got a late start. The 1st queen died and I wasn't experienced enough to realize it soon enough. I think by the time I got the replacement, so many bees had died of old age, she just can't keep up now.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 3:48:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Nope, not giving up. The other hive is doing great as far as I can tell. I'll start this one again in the Spring.

I don't know anyone here that keeps bees and the local bee club seems to have meetings only very rarely and then with little notice, so I'm mostly winging it..wish they'd both made it but can't complain.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I may take you up on that. Let me open up the hives this weekend if its cooler and see what's what.

Thanks for all your help..very, very much appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Sorry to hear about your second hive Barb

Like many others here I greatly enjoyed watching your videos, and I really appreciated all of the questions and answers provided in this thread. Beekeeping is a dream of mine, and this thread continues to be inspirational.

My wife and daughter really enjoyed watching Barb's Bees™ as well
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Keep up the fight Barb.

Watching this thread is like keeping up with a soap opera.
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Any news??
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#41]
I combined the two hives almost two weeks ago. Haven't opened it up since but will do on Sunday. Will let you know but they still seem busy so I take it that's a good sign.
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#43]
What do you recommend? I've been giving them sugar water and they drink it up..is there something else?

Do they like pancakes? I'll make extras.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top