Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2018 9:46:44 PM EDT
I've been into old trucks my whole life but I've just recently started to get interested in ham radio.  When I say recently I mean that my Baofeng UV-5R got delivered last week and I tuned into a local repeater and listened to some talk for the first time on Thursday evening.  I'm starting to learn the basics but I'm a total radio newb at this point.  I plan to get my license but I haven't started studying yet.  In an odd coincidence I just bought a '76 Dodge M880 US military truck that had gone to a South Dakota fire department after it was decommissioned.  I got it home and was cleaning out the interior when I looked behind the seat and saw what looked to me like a radio of some sort based on the FCC info on the tag.  I couldn't get a close look at it since I couldn't figure out how to fold the seat forward.  I'm not sure it even does.
But I was able to snap a picture of the info tag and it had the following information:
Motorola, Inc.
MITREK
Prim Pwr 12v
FCC Xmtr Data CC1147
FCC Rcvr Data RC0213
Model No. T51JJA3900BK
Serial No. 433HEWXXXX

I did some searching around online and I was able to learn that it's a "low band, low power", 25-50MHz radio.  Other than that everything I found about it was over my head at this point.  I'm sure that it was used by the fire department for comms.  I don't have any other pieces other than the main radio unit.  No power cables or mics or anything.  There's a whip antenna on the roof of the truck and what looks like a base for another antenna on the back of the cab.
Does this radio have any practical use for a beginner ham operator, or any use for any level of ham?  Is it something that's worth having or is it basically a doorstop?
Thanks.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#1]
The Mitrek was a very solid radio in its day.  But it's a rockbound (crystal controlled, actually it used "channel elements") radio from the 70s into the early 80s.

I hate to say it but it's pretty much worthless today.   If it were a complete running system with everything you need on frequencies you want, it'd be worth keeping it, but apparently you don't even have a control head for it.  Maybe not even a control cable.

I could get one running if I had the whole setup.  But I wouldn't be likely to bother with it.

If the radio unit is locked down on its base and installed in the vehicle, you need a Motorola no. 2135 key to unlock the chassis lock handle and remove it.  You can get those keys off ebay for a buck or two.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I recently sold our 1949 ALF Pumper with no radio-you got a better deal and a more practical truck.

this link will help you as a newbie
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry I never wrote back.  I got busy with other stuff and pretty much forgot about it.  Thanks for the info, though.  I kinda figured it was obsolete but I was hoping that maybe it was something really cool.  Oh well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top