Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2019 3:55:15 AM EDT
Anyone have a Morton Building?  Tell me about it, good and bad.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 5:52:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't own one. That said, they are well built with a price to match.

You can probably have a building built cheaper by a local contractor.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 6:33:29 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're putting up ANY metal building be sure to add insulation!!!! Even the thin roll on foam will keep it from sweating inside
Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 6:41:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I've just heard they're crazy over priced. I would try to find a local contractor if you're just wanting a simple pole barn.

If you're wanting to build a barndominium to live in I could see MAYBE going with Morton, but probably not. If you're doing a barndominium you're better off stick building unless you're wanting 12ft + ceiling heights.

At first I thought about doing a pole barn house, but after I started getting quotes it just made sense to go with stick built. here are some of the quotes I have received:

60x40x10 pole barn from a local guy that strictly does pole barns for $32,000 labor, lumber,metal for siding and roof.

85x40x10 from a local company that does mostly pole barns and he quoted me $72,000 for a stick built house in the dry labor and lumber only..

My most recent quote is from a reputable contractor that's done residential homes for 30 years and he's built a few houses for my family. I never even thought about trying to get a quote from him cause he's known for doing custom homes only. but He quoted me $37,000 for labor and lumber on a 2400sqft house with attached 1000sqft garage in the dry.

I've had some more quotes for a stick build in the dry for a little less than the last quote^

All of these quotes I've mentioned are to only get the house in the dry and do not include the price of slab or windows. If I got quotes from Morton I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted 100k for a pole barn in the dry.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anyone have a Morton Building?  Tell me about it, good and bad.
View Quote
The wife and I have a buyer for our house, awaiting closing, we’re looking to build on our 38 acres in the sticks.  We’re looking to build an approx 2200-2500 sqft house and 40x50 shop.  It’d be next year before I can get a local contractor that does quality work to build a house because they’re backed up.  We’ve considering a barndominium but few contractors in the area have any experience building them.  I’m capable of building much of it myself but due to my work schedule it’d take way way too long.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#5]
We have a 50 year Morton that looks better than a 25 year old Walters next to it.

Even back then, Morton cost more than the others.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I put up a 30x56x14 Morton last fall, and I finished the interior this spring.

Going into the process, I started set on a Menards building due to cost. After getting labor costs to erect it (my time is extremely limited), I started reaching out to other manufacturers and builders. I looked at Lester, Reaves, Morton, etc. Lester was the leader and were great to work with. Morton was high off the bat. When it came down to it, I was ready to sign on with Lester but when the Morton guy caught wind of it he became very aggressive and beat the price from Lester for the same spec building (bigger actually).

Material and craftsmanship, Morton is the leader, but you do pay for it. For me, this is a building I will have to look at for the next 50 years (hopefully). I was willing to stretch my budget a bit to get something that will last a lifetime.

Some suggestions if you do go the Morton route:

Ask what the standard width and length dimensions are off the bat. They will quote whatever dimension you give them,  but often they have standard lengths that are more in line cost wise. Let them know that cost is important and ask for suggestions to help keep the building within budget.

Understand the insulation package and how best to incorporate that. The fiberglass batts they used are presized for the pole spacing. I’m amazed how cool the building ha been this summer and I am excited to see how well it holds heat this winter.

Get the options you want now. Yes you can always add on in the future, but porches, windows, cupolas, etc. are great finishing touches that really make a building stand out.

The post system they use with precast concrete footers is a really neat system, no wood in the ground. This should help the building last for years to come.

Morton is willing to act as GC for excavation and concrete if needed. I handled site prep and they did concrete and insulation. Understand who is covering what and what is included in your quotes. In addition make sure concrete specs are up to your requirements if they handle that.

Any questions, feel free to ask.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 7:54:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a thread on building a pole barn house using Morton here.

They are expensive, but very well designed and built.  If you are just after a machine shed/cold storage I would not recommend them due to price.  For a nice climate controlled shop or house they're worth every penny.

It it would be worth talking to local pole barn builders in your area.  If you have a good one that may be the way to go.  We did not have any good local ones.

Personally, if I ever need another pole barn it will be Morton putting it up.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 8:05:12 AM EDT
[#8]
http://www.diypolebarns.com/

Used them for materials and one of their recommend Amish building crews plus a local company concrete guy. About 60% the cost of Morton, building went up in 3 days. Concrete took about three days of preparation with stone, vapor barrier, rebar, extra thick areas for lift/heavy equipment.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Morton buildings are engineered which means they can be insured.  You have to check your area, your insurance agent, codes etc to make sure whatever you build meets the criteria for the local codes and to be able to insure it.  The metal building I had built last year was not a Morton building but put up by a local contractor.  I can get insurance but that is mainly due to its not my residence.  I have a lot more metal in my building, purlins on walls and ceiling and it all welded, not bolted.  It was $19/ft with concrete slab.   Morton exterior metal is really good, the primer and paint specs are the best and I had Morton metal put on mine.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I put up a steel building last year.

It is 30x50x15.

I bought a steel building kit for a "A" style building.

All together with a footer and slab, I have about 20K in it.

We did everything but had help with concrete labor, $1000.00 worth.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:14:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Morton’s have a higher profit margin. We have an 80x45 that was built in 74’. I have been in a couple new ones. They were square and plumb. That’s more than I see from most of the low bidder “contractors” there are companies that will build a straight quality building but they are usually not the lowest bidder and they usually include all the stuff your building should have.
Edit: 90 percent of the pole barns built the owner wishes they went taller. My shop has a 16’ ceiling. I will not build one for myself less then 18’.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top