Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2021 2:56:10 PM EDT
I am going to start studying morese again. The ap I was using before was great in that it allowed me to set the speed, and it allowed me to select which letters I wanted to hear. And that's great except that as the letters are displayed on the screen, I have to be staring at the screen. It would be FAR more efficient if I could walk around with headphones and listen to the dots and dashes, then hear a voice say what letter it was.

I could turn on the headphones, go mow the grass.
If my only choice is to sit down and study it, I'll do that.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, same here. I'd like to have the option of an audio only scenario as I listen to podcasts all day long. I could do the same but learn Morse.

It's tougher to sit in front of the computer and learn, I always get distracted by other things on the internet. It's tough to stay away from browsing cute cat pictures.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe try the Chuck Adams Code Course. I can't remember much about it, but there is a PDF manual for it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know if there is one that does exactly what you want, but some members will be along to better answer your question. (I learned from 78 RPM records and punched tape code machines )
The SKCC has a beginner's page that lists some CW tutorial websites. Two I've heard mentioned often are MorseFree and G4FON. There are a lot of others tutorials I'm not familiar with.

Once you know your characters, W1AW has practice files to help build your speed.

FWIW, my wife passed her Novice license with the 5 WPM CW requirement after about 6 weeks of study. Back then, thre Novice exam included a quite a bit of what is now on the General exam.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Y I always get distracted by other things on the internet. It's tough to stay away from browsing cute cat pictures.
View Quote

Yeah, no kidding. It's a time pit for me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Didn't realize it until just now, but MFJ makes pocket sized a CW tutor, the MFJ-418. You can download the manual HERE and see if it's what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Didn't realize it until just now, but MFJ makes pocket sized a CW tutor, the MFJ-418. You can download the manual HERE and see if it's what you're looking for.
View Quote

Cool. Thanks. I'll have a look.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like the MFJ tutor may have fallen victim to the chip shortage. DX engineering has given an estimated ship date of mid October. Try calling MFJ and see what their prediction is.

In the meantime, you could use the online trainers and buy or build a code practice oscillator to build your sending skils. There are several offered online in the $10 - $20 dollar range. Here's one.
For a key, you could start with an MFJ-550 straight key. I know a lot of people throw rocks at it, but I have one left over from when I used to teach CW classes, and still put it on the air from time to time.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I used this. It was on CDs back when I did it.

https://www.cq2k.com/
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 8:36:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When there were usable electronics parts suppliers, they all sold a little kit with a transistor and so on...
View Quote

You can find component parts and kits at Jameco and Nightfire.
If you want to do some homebrewing, Nightfire has crystals for the 40, 30 and 17 Meter bands,
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I use Morse Mentor on my android phone.  It has a setting that can announce the letters either before or after sending the morse characters.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I use Morse Mentor on my android phone.  It has a setting that can announce the letters either before or after sending the morse characters.
View Quote

That sounds ideal.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 8:46:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I used this. It was on CDs back when I did it.

https://www.cq2k.com/
View Quote

I used it years ago, and it was still on audio cassettes.

I recently bought it again, and now it's all .mp3 files which is convenient. I was out of radio for 15 years or so.

It brought the code back in a rush for me, it's an excellent course.

The new format has you print the flash cards out on your printer, although you can still get the cards and CD's if you need them.

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Any crystal used in a Pierce oscillator circuit will make an excellent code practice oscillator if you have a receiver with a BFO that is capable of receiving the crystal's frequency. TV color burst crystals can be had for less than a dollar and any radio capable of receiving the 80 Meter band will pick them up. The tone is smooth, the same as a CW signal heard on the air.

In this circuit, the transistor is a MPF102 and the RF choke is 1 millihenry. It operates from a 9 Volt battery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top