Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2021 1:17:16 PM EDT
If cell, internet service is down what platform would be best to get information? Thinking along lines some type radio, listen only not transmit. Looking for a way to keep up with what is going on.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Most emergency style radios will monitor the local NOAA folks and what not, a step up would be something that listens to VHF/UHF.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I just put an OTA antenna in my attic and it works great.  I pick up all three of the major networks, as well as 30 or so other channels.  All of these channels broadcast from over 50 miles away but they come through crystal clear.  As long as I have power for the TV, the antenna does the rest.  OTA antennas are inexpensive as well.  If you have a clear line of site to relatively nearby broadcast towers you can get a good indoor flat OTA antenna for under $20.  Because I'm out in the sticks, I went with one that advertises a 200 mile range.  Probably unlikely it would work at that distance unless the terrain was perfect but easily getting 50+ miles where I am with mountains and hills in every direction.

Not suggesting this as an alternative to radios, this is just another layer for my information PACE plan.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:26:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If cell, internet service is down what platform would be best to get information? Thinking along lines some type radio, listen only not transmit. Looking for a way to keep up with what is going on.
View Quote

Other than smoke signals, at that point all thats left is POTS, radio and TV.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#4]
OTA t.v. for MSM news.

AM/FM radio for little more diverse info and maybe getting late night AM radio from a good distant off.

SW radio with SSB for everything else. One of the better ones out there  : CCrane
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:12:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Find a quality short wave radio that also includes the HF ham bands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top