Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2023 6:55:08 PM EDT
Any of you ever miss when shooting at coyotes? I see a lot of great shots here. How about the not so great shots. I missed one at about 75 yds while calling! Damn! Probably should practice rifle a little more. Think I rushed the shot. Probably buck fever!
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Bet it happens more than you think. Guys don't post their misses.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Just last week I did
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:54:32 AM EDT
[#3]
About a month ago I missed 8 in one night.

Shit happens.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes. I've educated quite a few furry animals.

I am the worst coyote hunter

World Class Night Vision and Thermal Hunting in Nebraska
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I am almost at 100% when they come in hot and slam on the brakes then stand still for a few seconds. Anything within 200 yards, broadside or head-on, is dead meat.

I use to open up on fast walking or running coyote, the kind that come running to the call but then swing off wide in one direction or another still looking back at the area of the caller. Unless they are within fifty yards or so when they swing away I've finally developed the required discipline to just let em go.

My last kill was a runner who came in kind of fast but never slowed down no matter how much whistling or barking I did. He came in from left to right and passed by me at about 45 yards. I grazed his head right before he entered the wood line on shot #3 iirc.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#6]
On average, I probably hit 1 out of 20 or 25 coyotes I shoot at.  

Doesn't matter how many I call, I still get all amped up and super excited when they start running in.  I do get close, but no cigar.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:10:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Missed plenty, usually out past 200 yards when I'm trying to rush a shot before I lose my chance.

And then there's the time I put a 350 yard running shot on one with a woefully inadequate caliber off the hood of a car because that's all I had close to me. I believe I was holding about 2 feet over and 6 feet in front of him. It was a hail mary and I connected due mostly to luck, but also due to my days of rabbit hunting when younger (shooting running rabbits is a great way to improve your skills at leading targets).
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope never miss

Coyote stand with Bering Optic Hogster R35.

Hit or Miss? Coyote makes it to the tree line.

Hog hunt with Bering Optics Hogster R35 thermal optic.

Thermal Coyote calling after evening deer hunt.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top