Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2023 6:08:32 PM EDT
Im looking on getting a mess kit for myself and and the family. Currently im looking at the swiss kidney shaped ones.

Any other ones should i consider? I have used the boy scout ones and didnt like those
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're considering a mess kit for yourself and your family, there are several options you can explore apart from the Swiss kidney-shaped ones and the Boy Scout mess kits. Here are a few alternatives you may find suitable:
1.Stainless Steel Mess Kits: Stainless steel mess kits are durable and easy to clean. They often consist of a pot, a frying pan that doubles as a lid, and a plate or bowl. They are available in various sizes and configurations to accommodate different needs.
2.Aluminum Mess Kits: Aluminum mess kits are lightweight and often come with non-stick coatings for easy cooking and cleaning. They typically include a pot, a frying pan, and sometimes a plate or bowl.
3.Military Surplus Mess Kits: Military surplus mess kits can be a good option if you prefer a more rugged and utilitarian design. These kits are often made from aluminum or stainless steel and are designed to withstand harsh conditions. They can be found in various styles and configurations.
4.Camping Cookware Sets: Instead of a traditional mess kit, you may consider investing in a camping cookware set. These sets usually include a pot, a pan, bowls, plates, utensils, and sometimes additional accessories like a kettle or a stove. They provide more versatility for cooking meals while camping or hiking.
5.Modular Camping Systems: Modular camping systems, such as the Jetboil or MSR WindBurner, offer an all-in-one solution for cooking and boiling water. They consist of a stove, a cooking pot, and a heat exchanger for efficient fuel usage. These systems are lightweight, compact, and ideal for backpacking or minimalist camping.
When selecting a mess kit, consider factors such as the number of people it needs to accommodate, weight and portability, durability, ease of cleaning, and any specific features you may prefer. Reading reviews and comparing different options can help you make an informed decision based on your requirements.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#2]
For a small but capable kit, I have and can recommend the Stanley Basecamp kit.  It's not geared toward backpacking (too heavy) but for a relatively small kit for cooking for a small group, it's pretty neat.  Really like mine for camping/cooking out of my Jeep.  

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Adventure-Base-Stainless-Steel/dp/B01MTFIMUC
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Member13:
If you're considering a mess kit for yourself and your family, there are several options you can explore apart from the Swiss kidney-shaped ones and the Boy Scout mess kits. Here are a few alternatives you may find suitable:
1.Stainless Steel Mess Kits: Stainless steel mess kits are durable and easy to clean. They often consist of a pot, a frying pan that doubles as a lid, and a plate or bowl. They are available in various sizes and configurations to accommodate different needs.
2.Aluminum Mess Kits: Aluminum mess kits are lightweight and often come with non-stick coatings for easy cooking and cleaning. They typically include a pot, a frying pan, and sometimes a plate or bowl.
3.Military Surplus Mess Kits: Military surplus mess kits can be a good option if you prefer a more rugged and utilitarian design. These kits are often made from aluminum or stainless steel and are designed to withstand harsh conditions. They can be found in various styles and configurations.
4.Camping Cookware Sets: Instead of a traditional mess kit, you may consider investing in a camping cookware set. These sets usually include a pot, a pan, bowls, plates, utensils, and sometimes additional accessories like a kettle or a stove. They provide more versatility for cooking meals while camping or hiking.
5.Modular Camping Systems: Modular camping systems, such as the Jetboil or MSR WindBurner, offer an all-in-one solution for cooking and boiling water. They consist of a stove, a cooking pot, and a heat exchanger for efficient fuel usage. These systems are lightweight, compact, and ideal for backpacking or minimalist camping.
When selecting a mess kit, consider factors such as the number of people it needs to accommodate, weight and portability, durability, ease of cleaning, and any specific features you may prefer. Reading reviews and comparing different options can help you make an informed decision based on your requirements.
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestion the initial plan is each member (exception of the youngest) to have one to themselves for those individual camping but allowing each member decide what food they want pack with them

I have used jet boils and never been a fan but thats because ive used fire for nearly all my camping needs. But i also dont like depending on a non renewable resource

Now much of this kit is replacing my cat irons (usually carried a fajita pan) and a usgi cup
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
For a small but capable kit, I have and can recommend the Stanley Basecamp kit.  It's not geared toward backpacking (too heavy) but for a relatively small kit for cooking for a small group, it's pretty neat.  Really like mine for camping/cooking out of my Jeep.  

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Adventure-Base-Stainless-Steel/dp/B01MTFIMUC
View Quote

That is interesting for a travel kit
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#5]
"Mess Kit", meaning a plate, bowl, cup and cutlery?
Or a "Cook Kit"?  To prepare and eat food?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:38:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: clownbear69] [#6]
Originally Posted By JohnClarkUSN:
"Mess Kit", meaning a plate, bowl, cup and cutlery?
Or a "Cook Kit"?  To prepare and eat food?
View Quote

Cook kit

ETA individual cook kits
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:48:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#7]
Originally Posted By clownbear69:

That is interesting for a travel kit
View Quote

They changed the packaging so I got mine at a local store for $50 for a closeout but the Amazon price is the best I've seen in awhile.  Not crazy about the sporks so I carry some extra Ascend silverware.  The plates work but are a little small.  The bowls are nice.  The fry pan has a heavy duty base on it and the pot is nice for making larger meals and you can cook pasta and strain it with the lid.  When we camp on longer trips, we will bring larger cooking tools but for a compact kit, it's hard to beat.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:21:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#8]
YouTube contributor Blackie Thomas has done a lot of vids concerning surplus cooking gear.  See playlist (which may not include latest "cookwear" vids)  Here

I have seen European Milsurp stoves very similar to the Swedish rig paired with the windshield, burner, and fuel bottle from the Swedish Mil cookset sell for considerably less than the nearly identical Swedish kit, which is overpriced at this point, and has been for a while.  I don't recall which Euro Milsurp fits best; I believe Blackie (above) mentions the "hybrid" and much less expensive rig Here.  Obviously, the depth and configuration of the large pot makes all the difference whether or not the windshield will fit over it.  The windshield is useful for using a Trangia alcohol burner, fuel tabs, and/or twigs.  Very versatile.

Doing some investigation, it seems that using the (suggested above) East German mess set and buying the Mil Trangia burner, windscreen, and fuel bottle would cost about $60 or so, all-up, which is about 1/2 the current price of the comparable and functionally equivalent Swedish rig.

Pathfinder makes a modern Stainless Steel version of the Swedish rig, and IMHO it is reasonably priced.  Swedish M-40 (stainless steel) versions have a single circumferential ridge around the mouth of the large pot.  Aluminum M-44 Swede stoves have a double ridge for added strength.  Pathfinder SS large pot has a double ridge, possibly due to its metal being thinner (and lighter) than the M-40 version.

With any of these mil kits, get a black nylon strap of suitable length/width which uses a "cam" type buckle.  Far easier to use than a conventional buckle.  Strapworks.com can supply them.

FWIW, the unique plastic cup for the Swedish Mil cookset fits inside it, along with the larger Milsurp burner, and the fuel bottle, with a little room to spare; cups available on ebay.

All these cooksets will get dirty, especially if burning wood, so have a scrubby pad for the inside, and some sort of pouch to encapsulate the whole rig, lest it make everything it touches dirty as well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a couple of aluminum Swedish kits, bought when the price was reasonable, all fully equipped with unique Swedish cups and so forth.  Big and relatively heavy, but stout and versatile.  Price for same nowadays is prohibitively expensive.

IMHO, it's not so much the exact kit as how well the chosen kit works well with different fuel sources.  The Swedish kit, with windscreen, does well with alternative fuel sources, but other and less expensive kits can be made to work-see above links.  

Most important is trying out such kits in one's backyard before using them in the field.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By raf:
I have a couple of aluminum Swedish kits, bought when the price was reasonable, all fully equipped with unique Swedish cups and so forth.  Big and relatively heavy, but stout and versatile.  Price for same nowadays is prohibitively expensive.

IMHO, it's not so much the exact kit as how well the chosen kit works well with different fuel sources.  The Swedish kit, with windscreen, does well with alternative fuel sources, but other and less expensive kits can be made to work-see above links.  

Most important is trying out such kits in one's backyard before using them in the field.
View Quote

I read both your posts.

1 i forgot that i bout a Czech army mess kit complete with chop board knives etc so i am covered on the family (imagine what can be found when you pick up something lol)

Now the swiss kit i was looking at didnt have the sheild of from Varusteleka for $17 for the pot/pan so i didnt think thats a bad deal but i ended up picking up a dutch mess kit (the 2 deep pan set or britishset up) for $13. I needed something for my hunting/stealth camping set up so we will see how it will work.

I think in the near future i will be looking at the Pathfinder pfm40 and thank you for the suggestion on that

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 12:07:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#11]

I read both your posts.

1 i forgot that i bout a Czech army mess kit complete with chop board knives etc so i am covered on the family (imagine what can be found when you pick up something lol)

Now the swiss kit i was looking at didnt have the sheild of from Varusteleka for $17 for the pot/pan so i didnt think thats a bad deal but i ended up picking up a dutch mess kit (the 2 deep pan set or britishset up) for $13. I needed something for my hunting/stealth camping set up so we will see how it will work.

I think in the near future i will be looking at the Pathfinder pfm40 and thank you for the suggestion on that

View Quote
Glad I could be of help.  I think the SS Pathfinder PFM40 will be a good choice.  I'm not entirely sure if the Pathfinder alcohol stove is the way to go; suggest a standard Trangia alcohol burner with "simmer/snuffer" cap to play it safe.  Keep the top of the alcohol burner about 1" to 1-1/4" from the bottom of the cooking vessel for optimal results; it DOES make a difference.  Optional pouch for the kit from Pathfinder looks decent, but here's an alternative that I have used with the Swedish cookset: BAE/Eclipse Gas Mask Bag    UCP (cheaper) and ABU colors can be dyed green or brown using RIT dye.

There is a mfr/vendor on Ebay who makes hand-made aluminum lids for some cooksets, and such lids reduce cooking time/fuel use and also prevent crud from falling into the cooking vessel.  HERE

IMHO, such lids are well worth the cost, but YMMV.  There may be some dimensional differences between the Pathfinder PFM40 and the Swedish units, so if going this route, suggest asking the Mfr/vendor about sending him a tracing of both the large and small pots.  Maybe he can make one for you.  FWIW, I bought two of these lids for my Swedish cooksets, and a couple of lids for my hybrid British rig.  All needed a little light sanding around the edges of the lids, but no big deal.  I painted the exterior of all of them using HI-TEMP flat black Exhaust Header paint; the sanded external surface of the items was GTG, just cleaned them with alcohol first.

OTOH, if you are reasonably "handy", you can make lids yourself.  See this Youtube vid: HERE

Drilled holes for water-draining are optional; increase cooking time/fuel use, but useful for draining/straining.  Not a lot of holes are needed to be "useful".  See pix of canteen cup lids on the web for ideas.

All best wishes, and If I can help further, LMK.

@clownbear69
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:08:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbatheredneck] [#12]
Everyone cooking their own thing sounds like a royal pita.

Heck, that can be a mess at home.

What are you expecting everyone to cook?

Good luck, but on the surface, it sounds like a horrible plan.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:

View Quote

1.) The ability to boil their own water. It takes alot of fuel to boil water as you know. With us living in the midwest during any winter camping, able to melt snow individually.

2.) What to cook? Their provision what ever it may be. My 2 older kids are old enough and strong that they need to carry their own food. The youngest cant hold anything so yes i need to carry for him.

Yes it might be a mess but the biggest learning experiences are typically from the biggest messes
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:02:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: texmarine0331] [#14]
Originally Posted By raf:
Glad I could be of help.  I think the SS Pathfinder PFM40 will be a good choice.  I'm not entirely sure if the Pathfinder alcohol stove is the way to go; suggest a standard Trangia alcohol burner with "simmer/snuffer" cap to play it safe.  Keep the top of the alcohol burner about 1" to 1-1/4" from the bottom of the cooking vessel for optimal results; it DOES make a difference.  Optional pouch for the kit from Pathfinder looks decent, but here's an alternative that I have used with the Swedish cookset: BAE/Eclipse Gas Mask Bag    UCP (cheaper) and ABU colors can be dyed green or brown using RIT dye.

There is a mfr/vendor on Ebay who makes hand-made aluminum lids for some cooksets, and such lids reduce cooking time/fuel use and also prevent crud from falling into the cooking vessel.  HERE

IMHO, such lids are well worth the cost, but YMMV.  There may be some dimensional differences between the Pathfinder PFM40 and the Swedish units, so if going this route, suggest asking the Mfr/vendor about sending him a tracing of both the large and small pots.  Maybe he can make one for you.  FWIW, I bought two of these lids for my Swedish cooksets, and a couple of lids for my hybrid British rig.  All needed a little light sanding around the edges of the lids, but no big deal.  I painted the exterior of all of them using HI-TEMP flat black Exhaust Header paint; the sanded external surface of the items was GTG, just cleaned them with alcohol first.

OTOH, if you are reasonably "handy", you can make lids yourself.  See this Youtube vid: HERE

Drilled holes for water-draining are optional; increase cooking time/fuel use, but useful for draining/straining.  Not a lot of holes are needed to be "useful".  See pix of canteen cup lids on the web for ideas.

All best wishes, and If I can help further, LMK.

@clownbear69
View Quote

@raf
Thoughts on with lid/simmer vs without and alcohol bottle?

https://trangia.se/en/shop/spirit-burner-b25/

vs

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/evernew/ti-alcohol-stove/
&
https://trangia.se/en/shop/fuel-bottle-olive/
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:48:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#15]
Originally Posted By texmarine0331:

@raf
Thoughts on with lid/simmer vs without and alcohol bottle?

https://trangia.se/en/shop/spirit-burner-b25/

vs

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/evernew/ti-alcohol-stove/
&
https://trangia.se/en/shop/fuel-bottle-olive/
View Quote
Suggest you go to PaleoHiker MD  Y/T channel for specific reviews of alcohol stoves and much more; search on his channel for T+E of specific burners.  Personally, the sealed screw top lid and simmer/snuffer cap of the Trangia are well worth it. Trangia also offers a Pre-Heater  which clips onto the bottom of the Trangia burner and helps with using the alcohol burner in cold temps.

@texmarine0331

The Evernew stove, while light, cannot be capped and sealed with unused fuel still it.  One can always "hope" to use a simmer/snuffer cap from another mfr, or perhaps make a simple snuffer cap; lack of a sealed cap is a problem, IMHO.  The bother of either wasting unburnt fuel or pouring it back into fuel bottle is an annoyance, I think.

The Trangia/Optimus fuel bottle is an excellent device.  There are other smaller plastic bottles which can be used; read reviews on whether they leak or not, and possible cheap O-ring remedies.

Always encapsulate burner and fuel bottles in "Trangia Plastic Yellow Spirit Burn Bag" from Amazon.  You do NOT want a leaking burner or fuel bottle to contaminate the items in your pack.  Handy multi-lingual instructions printed on the bag are a useful, if limited foreign language primer, lol.  Spare O-rings for the Trangia burner are strongly suggested.

HTH.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#16]

1.) The ability to boil their own water. It takes alot of fuel to boil water as you know. With us living in the midwest during any winter camping, able to melt snow individually.

2.) What to cook? Their provision what ever it may be. My 2 older kids are old enough and strong that they need to carry their own food. The youngest cant hold anything so yes i need to carry for him.

Yes it might be a mess but the biggest learning experiences are typically from the biggest messes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:

Gotcha.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:44:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#17]
Many ways to slice this pie, while concurring with @Bubbatheredneck.

For example, I might choose to carry some metal water bottles which have slip-over "stove" items which allow me to either heat the metal bottle itself, and/or a slip-over cup for lesser water heating needs.  Sometimes, with careful examination, one can have all three things.

In generally "hot" areas, having metal water bottles which might be frozen, and needed to be thawed, may not be an issue.  Having a viable metal bottle to purify water by boiling is always valuable.

Having slip-over cups and stoves is always worthwhile, I think.  How all these items are "rigged-up" to your water vessel and "nested-in" is up to the user.  Sometimes this takes some painstaking examination on what is available.  BTDT.

All of these items are bought from different mfrs/vendors who provide different measurements of their items, and who have no interest in "mating/nesting" their items with other items.  Assembling some "nesting" items is like assembling a jig-saw puzzle parts of which are made by different mfrs who have never spoken to each other.

Unfortunately, some vendors/mfrs are a little sketchy on the dimensions of their articles.  I have made many "kits" using common water bottles, stoves, and cups, all of which "nest" on each other.  Doing so has often been a PITA and required returning some items.   Some specific attention to Metric and Imperial measurements is required, unfortunately.  Attention to detail is required in order to "nest" items from different mfrs/vendors.

It can be done, but it takes some effort on the part of the user.  I'm a geek, and have the time and willingness to make the effort.  Lots of folks will, understandably, become frustrated and give up.  I understand.

All best wishes!

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:06:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#18]
The Swedish cook set sometimes referred to as the "Swiss" Mess kit is a fine one, although bulky and heavy, even n the original aluminum.  A simple look-around on the web will distinguish one from the other.

I own a couple of Swedish M44 aluminum rigs. While the rigs were complete, with all burners, fuel bottles, and so forth, the kit lacked the very useful and unique plastic cups originally intended to fit within the stove ensemble.  Such plastic cups are available on Ebay, and I suggest them as they fit within the kit, and having scant weight.

While relatively large and bulky, I believe such Swedish Mil mess kits to have value.  Boiling useful mounts of water while cooking meals at the same time amongst such uses.  The "windscreen" allows use of Trangia alcohol stoves as well as common fuel tabs as even wooden twigs.  Lids for the cooking vessels are available from overseas.  There are YouTube vids about how to make such lids, at far less cost.  I stoutly recommend such lids as they diminish fuel usage/cooking/boiling time and prevent crud from entering the open top of the cooking vessel.

I've used this exact stove under varying conditions, and with various fuels.  With some personal weight/bulk reservations, I think this stove has a lot going for it.

The Aluminum Swede Mil device is not likely useful for "ultra-light" folks, but it may be that their chosen "ultra-light" device might mimic the Swede unit, albeit on a lighter level.  Please let me know about such a device.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:27:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#19]
Early days yet, but this Three Piece Cookset  >>seems< to fit s a Swedish M-40 mess kit Stove/burner base.  The Swede stove/base unit will need to have the notches for the pot handles slightly widened, and a slot cut to allow the handle to engage the bottom of the pot through the stove base.

That done it "seems" as though everything will nest fairly well and work OK.  I have just done preliminary test-fitting and "eye-balling" of both items.

Awaiting a separate Swede stove base, alcohol burner, and fuel bottle before proceeding further.  Bespoke lids for Swedish mess sets (linked above) should work (perhaps with a little "tweaking" with the cook set linked immediately above.  The "base" for the Swede cookset is also a burner-stand/windscreen and a twig stove.  Highly useful in conjunction with any on-Swede cookset which will nest inside it.

The "ensemble" is an alternative to more expensive Swede units.  I believe some of the less expensive "Swedish" cooksets currently for sale are actually various Euro-Mil cooksets set into genuine Swede stoves/bases, hence the reduced price compared to actual, complete Swede items.

The Pathfinder PFM 40 Cook set  (currently @ 10% off sale) is also a solid choice.  Made of stainless steel.  IDK if the bespoke aluminum cup lids for the Swede M-40 will fit the PFM-40.  It may be possible to send the lid maker a tracing of the PFM-40 and see what happens.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 4:55:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Back to the Stanley stuff..... I have several of their cooking sets. All are good quality.

How about something like these?

Cookset
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 8upwitHDs:

Back to the Stanley stuff..... I have several of their cooking sets. All are good quality.

How about something like these?

Cookset
View Quote
I haven't used that specific item, so can't comment.  @ROCK6 prefers a different style/material of frying pan.  Perhaps he'll drop by and advise.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 8:09:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#22]
I'll recommend one of the MSR kits with pot, cups, bowls and silverware. Comes with cleaning stuff too, brush and scraper. Add a salt and pepper shaker, a little pocket rocket stove, fuel canister and a folding metal cup and you can scale up or down from a four person set for family meals down to just a pocket rocket and metal cup for heating water for dehydrating meals. Really two flexible systems in one. The silverware are folding and light duty, fine for minimalist stuff but I usually take a stainless set that clips together.

Aside from that, the MSR Alpine pots with locking lids are a really handy way to store, transport and cook, are affordable, and are well made.

ETA: for pocket rocket type stoves I will always recommend a wind screen as well. Here is a pic of what I usually use: MSR two person set on the left,  includes 2x bowls, cups, silverware, pocket rocket, cleaning stuff, salt and pepper, and still enough room for some boullion or drink mix etc inside.

When by myself, something like on the right - folding GSI cup that fits on the bottom of a Nalgene bottle and a BSR pocket rocket knockoff (a great buy at 12 bucks or whatever they are).

If you just need to heat water for dehydrated food you really can't get much simpler for a 1 person food/water setup than your preferred water container (standard bottle top for) a Sawyer filter, folding cup, pocket rocket and can of fuel. Filter, stove, and cup plus a can of fuel is around 60 bucks all in.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I like to assemble my own mess kits as store-bought options are usually missing something or have a bit I don't need. These may not be directly applicable to your needs, but they might get you thinking about different options.

My first kit is an MSR Alpine pot with lid. Inside is an MSR Pocket Rocket, scrub pad, lighter, metal spoon (I can add more if the kids are tagging along), and the rest of the volume occupied by Potable Aqua tabs, tea, oatmeal, soup mix, snack. This kit and a gas canister are meant to be thrown in a pack for hiking or taken along in the truck for a quick snack or tea break. I have a GSI plastic bowl I can throw in the bag, and then there's a GSI canister that doubles as both a bowl and food storage.

Kit two is a Stanley Adventure "mug" nested in a GSI Nalgene cup. Inside the Stanley mug is a BRS stove (pictured in the green pouch in the post above), lighter, scrub pad, water purification tabs, and a bunch of snacks, oatmeal, tea, drink mixes, etc... This fits in a Nalgene pouch on my MOLLE "battle belt". Spoon and additional food are in a bag in another Nalgene pouch.

Link Posted: 12/23/2023 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I thought about which kit I should recommend over the last few days but have come to the conclusion that even though I have a few kits, most of what I use is a mix match setup depending on what I am trying to accomplish.  I have several titanium light weight items but really only take those when on foot and weight can be an issue.  For most of my backyard bushcraft outings I use carbon steel or stainless stuff that I can beat on a bit and not worry about.  When car camping, I bring whatever items I think I will need.  Most of my car camping items are just a mix match of random pots, pans cups or whatever that I have accumulated over the years.

The one item I have probably used most over the years is my Snow Peak Kettle No 1.  I have used it on various different cook stoves, over open fire.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AR2OWA?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:35:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hound] [#25]
Bottom level- Stanley 2 cup set take out one cup add a tiny propane stove and a propane canister.
There is room for tea or coffee and a folding spoon.

One of my first cooking kits I made up.

Just bought my 12th stove....the addiction is real

Amazon Product
  • IDEAL OUTDOOR ACCESSORIES: The Stanley cook kit is perfect for outdoor cooking for hot meals, coffee, or boiling water Our cooking pots come with a vented top to let steam escape or strain liquid This is a great survival supplies gift too

From leadbreakfast's pic up above- I use that stove and nest the whole thing in the cup on the right
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#26]
I am going to take a slightly different approach with my answer.

To me “mess kit” implies what I eat on and with.

What I cook with is my “cook kit”.

For a mess kit I have 4 utensils.

The plastic for and wide spoon that you can get at REI and a long spoon from an MRE (sometimes you need some reach into a pouch or peanut butter jar.

For a knife I take along a small very thin and light paring knife from Victorianox. The sheath is homemade from a very thin piece of cardboard and a little duck tape.

I do t take any kind of plate. I use a 4” deep Rubbermaid container with a lid. If there is something that needs to be set ona plate like a bagel or something the lid suffices. Virtually any food I make hiking can go in a bowl and it also functions as a “pre-hydration” container either on the trail or if I get to camp early.

Easy and simple.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I've used East German 3-piece aluminum kits for a lot of years, but am trying to get away from the aluminum due to health concerns about using "uncoated" aluminum products.  The design is great, but confirming my concerns about "bare aluminum" for cooking ... I'm looking to upgrade to some type of Ti.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Someone will ask ... this is the top hit from a google search:

The long-term health effects of consuming aluminum are not entirely known, but some health agencies recommend minimizing dietary intake as much as possible. Cooking wet, acidic foods in uncoated aluminum is particularly to be avoided, since they cause more of the metal to leach into the food than dry, non-acidic items.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:
Someone will ask ... this is the top hit from a google search:

The long-term health effects of consuming aluminum are not entirely known, but some health agencies recommend minimizing dietary intake as much as possible. Cooking wet, acidic foods in uncoated aluminum is particularly to be avoided, since they cause more of the metal to leach into the food than dry, non-acidic items.
View Quote

While I personally suspect the concerns of aluminum are overblown, I also don't know that for a fact so all the aluminum I cook with is coated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top