Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2024 12:48:05 AM EDT
Bought a t beam and fired it up. Been driving around with it in my car to see if it picks up any signals. So far I got nothing. I've sent messages out into the ether and pings... I see no evidence that there is anyone on the receiving end. Are these useless without owning a few of your own and having someone to use them with? Or did I set it up wrong?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:51:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Meshmap.net ?

A New Live Global Meshtastic Node Map - Meshmap.net
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:04:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Always buy 3x units one for you & someone else one for as high as you can get it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:10:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#3]
Recent GD thread on them.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Meshtastic-is-anyone-using-it-/5-2706007/

I have a few, and no one else is in range of me either, at least not on the main channel.  You can get several and setup you're own mesh network around your area with family/friends, just know their limits, they're highly LOS dependent.

The meshmap linked above required the user enable the MQTT option and have it tethered to an internet connected device.  So it's not necessarily a picture of all the nodes out there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:31:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smeeg] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Recent GD thread on them.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Meshtastic-is-anyone-using-it-/5-2706007/

I have a few, and no one else is in range of me either, at least not on the main channel.  You can get several and setup you're own mesh network around your area with family/friends, just know their limits, they're highly LOS dependent.

The meshmap linked above required the user enable the MQTT option and have it tethered to an internet connected device.  So it's not necessarily a picture of all the nodes out there.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:36:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2ANut] [#5]
I have several of them. No contacts at all in my area, and range is at BEST half a mile even with upgraded antennas (suburban area). However, I think they'll be great for camping trips, multi-vehicle road trips where cell coverage is spotty, and to equip some friends if we ever have a long loss of cell/Internet due to a natural disaster and such.

I've considered setting up some private MQTT nodes so I can link to friends in other cities without turning it into a public mesh. That might make them more interested in getting involved.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I've played with the raw LORA chips based on ESP32.  With the slow bit rates it will never be a SHTF replacement for the internet.

I think a couple of DMR radios using text messages easily out do a few LORA devices.  You have much more TX wattage and you get FM and digital voice and a large battery in the same waterproof package.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 10:43:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stanprophet09] [#7]
I have a couple inbound. There is a plugin now for ATAK to allow messaging and location. Currently working on an ATAK server on a Raspberry pi 5. Plan is to make my DMR repeater a mobile system with the Lora Mesh and ATAK server on board. Then plan on adding a GMRS micro repeater to the mix. The Meshtasitc node will be mounted to where the Antenna goes and powered on Solar to act as a mesh repeater. Wifi antenna for the server portion.

It seems like a cool little project to keep me occupied and help with comms. GMRS is going to be for some of my buddies that do not want to do the ham thing. Thinking if I get them on a GMRS repeater they will catch on and go the next step. If not I can still talk with them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:49:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordVader] [#8]
Originally Posted By stanprophet09:
I have a couple inbound. There is a plugin now for ATAK to allow messaging and location. Currently working on an ATAK server on a Raspberry pi 5. Plan is to make my DMR repeater a mobile system with the Lora Mesh and ATAK server on board. Then plan on adding a GMRS micro repeater to the mix. The Meshtasitc node will be mounted to where the Antenna goes and powered on Solar to act as a mesh repeater. Wifi antenna for the server portion.

It seems like a cool little project to keep me occupied and help with comms. GMRS is going to be for some of my buddies that do not want to do the ham thing. Thinking if I get them on a GMRS repeater they will catch on and go the next step. If not I can still talk with them.
View Quote
Has the DMR-to-Meshtastic gateway been done yet? With a DMR radio as an endpoint only, since making it a full mesh node would be a bit more involved.  (The FCC compliance side would be a separate question to be resolved.)
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
Has the DMR-to-Meshtastic gateway been done yet? With a DMR radio as an endpoint only, since making it a full mesh node would be a bit more involved.  (The FCC compliance side would be a separate question to be resolved.)
View Quote
Meshtastic currently cannot handle voice modes, it's fairly low throughput, only simple data packets like text messages and GPS or other sensor type data.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Sometimes, that's enough.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I look at it as a private network. you can leave the settings open so others can piggy back your network without seeing your traffic. but its still not popular enough to expect anyone around. I havent seen any near me and I live in a large city. there is 1 unit 40 minutes away from me on the above mesh map. I have 7 devices personally, and I have 2 setup permanently, with a 3rd coming soon in a solar remote use enclosure. that will be to hopefully clear terrain so I can connect with a buddy 7 miles away.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Meshtastic currently cannot handle voice modes, it's fairly low throughput, only simple data packets like text messages and GPS or other sensor type data.
View Quote
Yes, text and digital APRS would be the common denominator for a gateway.

Just for kicks I sent a text from my dmr6x2(at878 clone) to my hotspot and got a response from 4-5 miles away. I did cheat some.  The hotspot was on a separate freq and hit my 50w at578 running digital crossband repeat mode.  So a pi based hotspot with a LORA radio could function as a gateway between DMR Texts and Meshtastic and achieve respectable range for the HT.  

I think the correct answer for this is using the GD77 in mmdvm modem mode linked to a PI with a LORA radio.  I will try this once they have a stable firmware for my tyt-uv390+ 10w model.

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm waiting on some cases to come in for my T-Decks.

Also saw there is a Heltxt (which is an ESP32 + cardKB)

HelTxt - Standalone Meshtastic Communicator(User experience)

We need an NRF52 + SX1262 + KB and screen all in one (meaning, single PCB).  The meshtastic capable Armachat is close, but is rPi.  rPi snd ESP32 use too much power.  NRF52 is much nicer, power wise.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:12:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 0100010:
I'm waiting on some cases to come in for my T-Decks.

Also saw there is a Heltxt (which is an ESP32 + cardKB)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t2c4mul_XA

We need an NRF52 + SX1262 + KB and screen all in one (meaning, single PCB).  The meshtastic capable Armachat is close, but is rPi.  rPi snd ESP32 use too much power.  NRF52 is much nicer, power wise.
View Quote
I would just settle with someone who makes them besides just the echo with a damn box. why do I have to 3d print everything.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
I would just settle with someone who makes them besides just the echo with a damn box. why do I have to 3d print everything.
View Quote

Yeah, a few manufacturers make some unfinished devices, many more fab houses make chiplets like this; but it hasn't really gone beyond a hobbiest thing yet; hence all of the 3d printed enclosures.

Some folks are fine with just a standalone transceiver and BT pairing to a phone / tablet for comms.  Others (like me), would prefer a LoRa only all in one that has good battery life (low power consumption), message history, built in keyboard, decent screen.  The T-Deck and Armachat are pretty close; just waiting on 3.0 firmware from Meshtastic to add in history to the canned messages plug in, and a new board that is based on an nRF52840.  Of course, putting up a couple solar nodes up high for coverage helps.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#17]
This little guy comes with its own "case".

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#18]
This little guy comes with its own "case".

https://i.postimg.cc/HsD2LLWb/helteccapsule.png
View Quote
I saw something in my youtube feed about that a little bit ago but the video got lost in the algorithm before I could watch it. thanks for reminding me.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:28:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 0100010] [#19]
Not meshtastic, but still LoRa and very interesting:

How I broadcast LoRa packets WITHOUT a radio
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Not meshtastic, but still LoRa and very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIdHBDSQHyw
View Quote

My heavy lift drone uses lora for the C2 link. Similar to the crossfire protocol. I actually have a plan to try to bridge a network of lora mesh radios using a node in repeater mode on a drone with a hight gain antenna at 400 ft. Figured it would be a cool experiment.

Have also built out a 6v system in a waterproof box with a solar panel and thought about using my tower to practice using Magnets on the box and attaching to my tower at the top. Would be easy to expediently deploy in the case of an emergency to any building, tower, metal pole to gain some coverage. Just some thoughts that I have been running through my head.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:11:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 12:32:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Bought a Heltec V3 just to try out. Have had a few other nodes pop up around me off and on. Prolly will get another one of some sorts just to experiment further with.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:10:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, a quickly deployable solar repeater is on my list too: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1312727008/3w-meshtastic-solar-base-station-with?show_sold_out_detail=1
View Quote

If you are interested in building one yourself and you have a 3D printer, Voltaic has designs on printables of their enclosures under their name. You can still buy stuff like the battery regulator from their etsy store when it's in stock, and Wisblock parts from your preferred retailer like Rakwireless or whoever, and toss it into the same printed case they sell. I have also seen guys using solar garden chargers on the Meshtastic Discord and FB groups, and those have slots for 2-6 18650 batteries along with space for all the boards if you wanted a cheaper option. Guys are selling some of those on there for 200ish bucks, but if you don't mind building them yourself it can save you 50% or more by grabbing the same enclosures they are using off alibaba or amazon and getting the boards separate.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By stanprophet09:

Have also built out a 6v system in a waterproof box with a solar panel and thought about using my tower to practice using Magnets on the box and attaching to my tower at the top. Would be easy to expediently deploy in the case of an emergency to any building, tower, metal pole to gain some coverage. Just some thoughts that I have been running through my head.
View Quote

Get out of my head. I have hilly terrain where I live, I can get los out to 3 miles or as short as a 1/4 from my house and I am on a hill. I have a water tower 3.5 miles away that is on a hill and 200 feet tall. From online programs it gives pretty good coverage out to where I live but still only like 75%. There is another water tower that I have looked at and it gives coverage over the hill its on. But the only ways I can see to get a node on them is by drone or flat out trespassing. I have really thought about setting up a mag attached node and slapping it on the side of the water tower, no one would notice it up 150 feet.

I just built a solar charged node last light and tested it charging today and I am going to deploy it tonight. I did it the lazy way and bought a 7w 5v panel rated for charging things via usb and put on a usb c end after I got it in the box. It works just fine in direct cloudy weather, but the lipo in there runs it for days, it should be good for a long time. The only problem is below 32 degrees charging. If it works I will probably do a 3 ah 12 volt battery with a usb converter to feed it the device and just get a 12 volt panel.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:52:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I have owned several Gotennas, T-Beams and RAKs the past couple of years. I had them shelved until recently when I saw that they were flying off the shelves.

I'm in an area that has pretty wide coverage. I had my wife take one to work and go on the roof of her building. She was able to text back something like 8 miles as a crow flies back to the house. There are a couple nodes between us.

I think the key is placing some in advantageous positions around your home and leaving them running 24/7 for the "community mesh" to function. Then take "rovers" with you.

I've also received messages from people in airliners recently.

Not ham radio but the price of entry is cheap and everyone can text on an app. Much of a lower signature than running around with a radio in your hand, too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:15:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I’ve placed an order and have 4 on the way. Hope to get 2 up on towers.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:38:12 PM EDT
[#27]
If you going for solar nodes look at the wis block from rak wireless. It does not have gps or a screen to draw power and has the low draw chipset. Bonus of no gps is people cant see if it broadcast un encrypted and they cant come take it. Running one at my house after 5 days the 1200 mah battery had not dropped enough to even show it as low. While being charged they show 4.04-4.15 volts, with in an hour of coming off the charger they drop to around 3.9. Its stayed at the 3.9-3.7 for all 5 days.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:31:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quick question, I have the Lillygo T-Echo and have been looking more at other units and part of me keeps thinking I want mobile devices that have gps, but now I am wondering if it would be better to have mobile units that do NOT have gps.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ZF-1:
Quick question, I have the Lillygo T-Echo and have been looking more at other units and part of me keeps thinking I want mobile devices that have gps, but now I am wondering if it would be better to have mobile units that do NOT have gps.

Any thoughts?
View Quote
Do you want their location to be known on the network to others?  Also, they can also pull the GPS data from the phone connected to them and relay that.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Do you want their location to be known on the network to others?  Also, they can also pull the GPS data from the phone connected to them and relay that.

View Quote

For devices on the private network yes I want the GPS. But I also want these to be stand alone messaging devices that do not need a phone

I think this goes back to wanting a physical master GPS switch to have the option on/off.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:22:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZF-1] [#31]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ZF-1:

Any thoughts?
View Quote

Most of the units that have gps, if you go in the command line controls you can shut off the gps. You have also quickly switch them to display a fixed gps location that is no where near the actual position. AKA you have it say your in china when your actually in the US. As was said you can also have it relay the phones gps. But in true shtf will gps still work, or will it shut down/switched to the mil channels only?

I have a few haltech trackers with built in gps, and I have the rak wireless starter kits which you can add gps to. The nice thing about the rak kits is no screen or gps so the battery lasts a lot longer. The haltech ones also use the euro gps system if the us got switched to mil only

I plan on recovering the solar node I put out last weekend thhis weekend to see how the solar worked on keeping it charged. Its a rak wireless one with a 1200 mah battery.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#33]
I have 2 older t-beams up and running as clients for testing.

I'm interested in the t-echos for hiking with the family.  I figure I can outfit each person for roughly $150 and have offline comms, gps, and atak.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By whollyshite:

I'm interested in the t-echos for hiking with the family.  I figure I can outfit each person for roughly $150 and have offline comms, gps, and atak.
View Quote

150 each? halteck trackers are like 30 bucks and they come with ant. A 3d printed case and a battery is another 30, atak is free and so is the phone they already have.

Heck the trackers I am playing with fit great in a 2 buck amazon project case.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:15:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StaccatoC2] [#35]
Okay just an update on my solar node I built.

First its a wisblock starter kit. I bought This solar panel its rated to give out 5 volts. I wired it to a USB c connector and just plugged it in to the board. The board can handle the charging on the battery. I put the 1100 mah battery and wisblock in One of these boxes, and used hot glue to seal the box and the wire entrances.

After iirc 8 days I just went and retrieved it. I literally just screwed it to a tree, kind of facing an opening in the trees looking south east, panel vertically mounted. After the 8 days or so I just checked the battery in it, it said 92% 4.07 volts, that tells me its been charging 100% daily. I did have one drop of water in the box and we have had 3 days of rain, some of it damn heavy. I saw a spot or two I did a bad hot glue job sealing it up.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:16:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: swampfoxoutdoors] [#36]
I bought 4 v3 boards on aliexpres and have them all flashed. Waiting on antennas to get one installed on my tower.

I have one in my office and another at the fire station about 1/2mi apart and they are communicating with each other even with the crappy stock antennas.

The one that’s going on my tower.
Attachment Attached File

I have Solar panel that it will be plugged up too. Got it from Aliexpress too. It’s a 10w panel with 2 18650s built in and comes with a 5’ cord with usbc plug.

Here is the one at the fire house.
Attachment Attached File

Still have a lot to learn on these things. Hope to get some basic infrastructure up then start testing.

Hope to have 3 solar nodes up. My tower, local water tower and fire training center. Then start seeing what they are capable of.

Got to get 2 more boxes and solar panels.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Dumb question: why aren't you all buying waterproof (IP65) boxes? There are quite a few to choose from on Amazon for under $10. Many of them even come with cable glands so you can make waterproof connections to solar panels, etc. This avoids problems associated with RTV/glue jobs and they are much easier to rework/maintain because of that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:
Dumb question: why aren't you all buying waterproof (IP65) boxes? There are quite a few to choose from on Amazon for under $10. Many of them even come with cable glands so you can make waterproof connections to solar panels, etc. This avoids problems associated with RTV/glue jobs and they are much easier to rework/maintain because of that.
View Quote

I did not for two reasons, one I am just playing around at this point. Two I kind of like the thought of glueing the box shut for tamper reasons. If you set the device to have your encryption and it gets found its too easy for someone to get in to it and copy the encryption. Yes I know you can set it up so it does not have encryption and just forwards all signals. Hot glue is about perfect for this, easy, it works and can be opened and closed again if needed but it obvious. How many people who may find something like this will have a hot glue gun with them to open and reseal it, so obvious tamper signs.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

I wasn’t aware of them. Post up a link.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2: I did not for two reasons, one I am just playing around at this point. Two I kind of like the thought of glueing the box shut for tamper reasons. If you set the device to have your encryption and it gets found its too easy for someone to get in to it and copy the encryption. Yes I know you can set it up so it does not have encryption and just forwards all signals. Hot glue is about perfect for this, easy, it works and can be opened and closed again if needed but it obvious. How many people who may find something like this will have a hot glue gun with them to open and reseal it, so obvious tamper signs.
View Quote
Tamper proof labels...
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=waterproof+project+boxes
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#43]
This box is rated waterproof, and I have a couple that have held up fine for a couple years. You probably don't want clear lids though. 4:1 for a 20m delta loop. Sorry for the tater pic.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Same thing I have mine just came from China for $2. But it’s typical China quality. Good enough for what I’m testing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:10:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: swampfoxoutdoors] [#45]
In my limited testing I’m getting about 3 mi range out of my node on a tower and a heltec in the car driving around.

From fixed point to point about 4miles.

This is rolling hills with mostly timber.

I am also using the long slow setting.

Below is a pic of it on my tower. It’s probably 40’ up.
Attachment Attached File

And I have been able to relay messages from the mobile station to the tower then back to my office.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:
Bought a t beam and fired it up. Been driving around with it in my car to see if it picks up any signals. So far I got nothing. I've sent messages out into the ether and pings... I see no evidence that there is anyone on the receiving end. Are these useless without owning a few of your own and having someone to use them with? Or did I set it up wrong?
View Quote

I have one up on the house with battery and solar panel.  I have another in my 4th floor office about 25 miles away.  I have a couple other mobile units as well, one will be mounted in the truck.

There seems to be a fairly large following down in Denver.  Occasionally I'll see a bunch of nodes when someone in that area takes one up on the mountain in Golden. I'm trying to get a network setup in my local area.  It's good stuff though, the ones that I see pop up in Golden are a little over 60 miles away.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 3one5:

I have one up on the house with battery and solar panel.  I have another in my 4th floor office about 25 miles away.  I have a couple other mobile units as well, one will be mounted in the truck.

There seems to be a fairly large following down in Denver.  Occasionally I'll see a bunch of nodes when someone in that area takes one up on the mountain in Golden. I'm trying to get a network setup in my local area.  It's good stuff though, the ones that I see pop up in Golden are a little over 60 miles away.
View Quote

What antennas are your using on your fixed tower nodes?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:44:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:

150 each? halteck trackers are like 30 bucks and they come with ant. A 3d printed case and a battery is another 30, atak is free and so is the phone they already have.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:
Originally Posted By whollyshite:

My bad.  I didn't see this response.

I meant $150 for the radio and a cheap Android phone.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:28:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Maybe I missed it but would anyone be willing to post a parts list with links to building their setups?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:03:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By jdogg1583:
Maybe I missed it but would anyone be willing to post a parts list with links to building their setups?
View Quote

Mine all came from aliexpress.

It’s cheaper than Amazon sellers but did take a week or so to get it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top