Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2021 1:14:20 AM EDT
I looked at them before I retired, back then a 375H&H went around eight thousand. Now to me that was a hell of a lot of money. They seem to be the poor mans double compared to others at five or six times that. Still I mentioned it to the wife and she didn't seem adamantly opposed to the idea but I passed it up because I never intended to hunt Africa and but I still would like one. If anyone has one or knows about them tell me your experience with them. Do you think the quality is good enough to spend that kind of money?
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 2:38:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Years ago  (1981) I worked in a gun store in Texas.  The owner hunted Africa owned and sold double rifles.  Is it worth it to pay the price.... no it is not..... up until you have a very angry dangerous game animal charging you....  at which point price is no object. The up side is there are very few of them to be  had and they hold their value or increase in value provided they are taken care of.  I have always admired them never owned one. I do have a .375 H&H single shot Encore and have had a  Win.458 Win. A friend has .458 Lott rifles and loves the two he has one of which is a Ruger #1. the other is a Winchester, those are in a price range that seems reasonable to me.  The .375 H&H caliber is ideal for large North American game and it seems to scratch that itch, at least for me.   Purdey still builds a .470 and  Merkel still builds them .416 Rigby / .470 N.E. / .500 N.E. / .450/400. N.E. / .375 H&H   At what these things cost something heavier than .375 H&H like  .416 Rigby might be a better choice.
WESTLEY RICHARDS 470 N. E.- TRUE & FULL SIZE PROPER 470 at 12 Lbs. 3 Oz.- EXC. BORES w/ SHARP RIFLING the ENTIRE WAY- 85% ENGRAVING- 2" ACCURACY

You could always pick up a double barrel shotgun with some slugs and hurt your shoulder that way to get the experience.  I don't think anyone shoots these things very much they quickly become a safe queen. But I know guys who have them and have hunted Africa with them.  The cost will stop me from ever doing that but  I like them.
Ruger #1   .458 Lott   buy this

.458 Lott  Ruger M77    or buy this
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. I will resist the temptation, the only practical use for it would be elk hunting if I could draw a tag but I already have rifles for that. Mostly it would be something to look at, they are just things of beauty.

On the other hand they do seem to hold their value better than money in the bank at pitiful interest rates......

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The Merkel is an outstanding and quite high quality double. It was where I was headed when a Kreighoff fell in my lamp for a price I could t refuse.

Belted magnums are not where it’s at in doubles. Pressures are high on things like 375 H&H and all you have is that little tiny belt for extraction and all you have for camming/extraction power is the leverage of breaking it open. Dimmed cases are where it’s at. My suggestions would be 450/400, 450 NE or 475 NE. If you can accept a little lower power the 9.3X74R is another great caliber they gives you a .366 caliber 286 gr bullett at 2150 FPS. That will take anything in North America.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I want an 8x57R Merkel double rifle for deer hunting, we have a long season where I live and lots of deer, I think it would be fun.  There is one on GB that has been listed for at least 8 years that I sorta watch.  

Seems to be pretty east to get brass/dies for, and .323 bullets are easy enough.  Same powders/primers that I currently stock.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I gave my Dad an "In the white" John Rigby 470 NE I got in trade 15 years ago when they were being built here in CA. I gave my mom a 7x57 I saved from an estate sale 25 years ago. Both went to Africa with my parents 12 years ago for their hunt, both of them are very into the African big game experience. I want to go one day, but the $$ is not there yet.

I've shot a bunch of the different double rifles, and they are all about the same as far as that goes. The big difference is the fit and finish, as well as the engraving.
Find one that suits your fancy, it will not depreciate in the safe at all, as thats not how art tends to work.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Merkle is Housed with Steyr in Birmingham, Alabama: Been there, it's a nice place and last time I was there (five years ago) they had a decent selection.
They do not offer much if any discount to Dealers, so you might as well go direct, better yet take a trip to their Facility....Pick up an AUG while you're at it.

https://www.steyr-arms.com/us/firearms/merkel-products
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top