Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2022 1:07:59 AM EDT
I’m going thru and updating my first aid and medical kits. Would like to hear your packing lists or even better see some pictures of your kits and storage ideas.
The usual, home, vehicle and edc kits.
General first aid and trauma.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:16:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Agree 100%. There is no sense in carrying anything you're not trained to use. Tourniquets, a chest seal, some rolled gauze, and some quick clot bandages are a good foundation. Build from there based on your level of training and anticipated injuries you may encounter.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your skills determine all of that...all we can do is recommend vendors.
View Quote
I really don't like this answer. Unlike a personal firearm, car, cooking utensils and a wife... a first aid kit is for other people to use too.  Also, they for other people to use on YOU.

"You haven't received training on this tourniquet so we aren't going to use it on you."  Does that make any real world sense to you?

Yes, a noob shouldn't necessarily be trying to patch up a sucking chest wound and planning for it in a kit, but if there is one, and you are the only one there.... what you gonna do?

A kit goes along with training and if he's thinking about a kit that's great, but "get skillz first noob" is also the wrong answer.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#4]
OP,,,I built our "kit" with the help of my research, a friend that's a trauma nurse and my DOC. I have everything in it to deal with most injuries including gun shots. Do I know how to use everything? No. I'm learning but the answer is still no. My hope is that there will be someone around that DOES know how to use everything in my kit. We were ROs at large pro shooting matches where there was actually a "chance" of a bad accident. Many of the participants had serious medical training. MAYBE there will be a Doc or an EMT at the scene of the accident we run up on. MAYBE there will be a Doc or another with training at the event we're attending if something bad happens. The bag is about 5 lbs. and it goes EVERYWHERE with us. Car, truck, motorhome, CanAM you name it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#5]
@aceb36tc - would you mind posting a picture and or contents list? Sounds interesting.

I appreciate the input so far.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
@aceb36tc - would you mind posting a picture and or contents list? Sounds interesting.

I appreciate the input so far.
View Quote

LOL,,I can't type well enough to build a list. It's just a small RED backpack that slings on the headrests or just rides along with us. Chest seals, sutures, bandages, Cat tourney, all types of cleaning solutions, novacaine, syringes and more and more and more. It took me about a month to put it together and I suspect there's about $4-500 in it. I can send a pic but to do you any good I'd have to unpack it all and spread it out for you to see all the items.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I put 2 together based on expected need for the environment and expected time for an EMS unit to arrive on scene in context to my travels.

200+ mile drives and time at the hunting lease. 40 minutes from a main road and another 30 minutes to town.
Truck is geared toward stop the bleed, with some extras. 3 tourniquets, 4x4, 4x6 non stick gauze, ace or self stick bandages, knife, shears, quick clot, 2 sugar cubes, half pack of Benadryl, small flashlight, ballpoint pen, 3 sizes of bandaids, disinfectant spray, Neosporin, roll of electrical tape,
Surgical gloves, 4 cylume glow sticks, tweezers, space blanket.

Swamp buggy has the above plus slighted toward gunshot trauma and has roll out splints, cold packs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#8]
@ACEB36TC  - thanks for the overview, it’s helpful.

@Number1gun  - sounds like a decent trauma kit set up. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I actually just dropped ~$800 at Chinook Medical, so here's what I bought:

Gunshot Range kit
QuikClot Z-Fold combat gauze
Butterfly closures
Compressed gauze
4" & 6" Izzie bandages
A shit ton of 4"x4" gauze pads
Chinook BurnPAK
Blister kit
Several (more) SOFTT-W tourniquets
Povidine-iodine prep pads
Would closure kit
HALO chest seals
Pneumodarts
Skin staplers

I also bought a whole bunch of OTC shit from the dollar store & Sam's club... Triple antibiotic ointment, bandaids, diphenhydramine tablets & creams, cortisone, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, witch hazel pads, etc.

Bad shit's coming and I'm gonna be stacked deep.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#10]
@Number1gun

I assume the sugar cubes are for hypoglycemia?  Might I suggest actual glucose gel, or honey packets.  A little messier, but.you can squeeze into someone's mouth and "dip" it against the cheek.

Also, so everyone knows... benadryl doesn't really help anaphylaxis.  It helps the itching and rash, but epinephrine is the treatment.  So ask your doc for a prescription.   They expire relatively quickly and don't do well in the heat, fyi.  And tbh  zyrtec is a pretty good replacement for benadryl,  without the sedation.

Here's a blurb from Emergency Medicine Oral Board Review Illustrated,  2nd ed.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:30:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Actually just updated all my kits since a coworker cut his finger pretty good. Our work team has 11 vets in it and we all had tourniquets, large pressure bandages , etc but nothing for minor injuries besides small bandages. Don't forget the boo boo kit and small injury kit, those are much more likely to be encountered in your day to day.

Also get training, practice with your equipment, and refresh with it. Don't try to do field surgery or anything that you aren't familiar and trained on. Stop the bleeding and TCCC are great training starting points. Also be realistic in what you are likely to encounter and have supplies to cover that as well as trauma.

Me personally I use a 3 layer approach when it comes to med kits. The first level is my boo boo and small injury kit. This is always in my bag and goes almost everywhere. It has the following items:
(1) NAR mini responder ETD
(2) NAR mini responder gauze pads
(1) assorted bag of bandages
(1) SAM finger splint
(2) Nitrile gloves
(1) Assorted otc meds from Chinook Medical
(2) individual burn jel packets
(1) roll medical tape
(1) tacmed control wrap
(2) individual iodine packets

Next is my IFAK style setup. It also stays in my bag and goes everywhere. It is used for more serious or trauma specific tasks. It has the following items:
(1) CAT tourniquet
(2) NAR mini responder ETD
(2) NAR mini responder gauze pads
(1) trauma shears
(1) 4x4 burn dressing
(2) nitrile gloves
(1) hyfin compact vented chest seal
(1) roll medical tape

Last is my vehicle bag that lives under the backseat of my truck. It is in an emt style bag and holds a lot.  I won't go into each item in it but will break down the categories it covers:
- Splints (SAM are easy to use)
- Minor burns (burn jel packets, 4x4 burn dressing, blast bandage)
- trauma (pressure bandages, gauze, tourniquet, chest seal)
- minor injuries (sunscreen, bandages, otc meds,etc)
- tools ( shears, strap cutter, window breaker)
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:22:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@Number1gun

I assume the sugar cubes are for hypoglycemia?  Might I suggest actual glucose gel, or honey packets.  A little messier, but.you can squeeze into someone's mouth and "dip" it against the cheek.

Also, so everyone knows... benadryl doesn't really help anaphylaxis.  It helps the itching and rash, but epinephrine is the treatment.  So ask your doc for a prescription.   They expire relatively quickly and don't do well in the heat, fyi.  And tbh  zyrtec is a pretty good replacement for benadryl,  without the sedation.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269389/20220521_145830_jpg-2392005.JPG
View Quote

Yes. Concerned about Florida heat. The environment the kit lives in is exceedingly hot. Easily 90+ degrees day after day.
Need for items to not degrade or expand. Previously had some issues trying to keep liquid based items from going bad.
BTW..Benadryl works just fine for me. Every time. If I can’t get it over the counter I don’t want it.
I’ll try some Zyrtec next time.

For our expected significant medical issues that are likely.. it’s a band aid on a broken arm. Just barely enough to get through the first 90..ish minutes until EMS arrives or we get them to town. Depending on cell signal strength.
Already had one. Well 2, sort of.  Got very lucky..Which prompted me to make the kit based on expected need and not have a shit ton of extra never used shit taking up space. General first Aid kit lives in the trailer. The kits that over heat are in my truck and the swamp buggy.

Most of our issues have been lacerations or my recent problems with ant bites. Those little fuckers we have in the swamp are evil..7-8 bites and I’m starting to get symptoms. 12+ I’m turning red and the swelling starts.
My most severe reaction was fairly intense but 3 bene’s took care of it. Then I got a wasp sting but only localized swelling. No issues.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:52:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes. Concerned about Florida heat. The environment the kit lives in is exceedingly hot. Easily 90+ degrees day after day.
Need for items to not degrade or expand. Previously had some issues trying to keep liquid based items from going bad.
BTW..Benadryl works just fine for me. Every time. If I can’t get it over the counter I don’t want it.
I’ll try some Zyrtec next time.

For our expected significant medical issues that are likely.. it’s a band aid on a broken arm. Just barely enough to get through the first 90..ish minutes until EMS arrives or we get them to town. Depending on cell signal strength.
Already had one. Well 2, sort of.  Got very lucky..Which prompted me to make the kit based on expected need and not have a shit ton of extra never used shit taking up space. General first Aid kit lives in the trailer. The kits that over heat are in my truck and the swamp buggy.

Most of our issues have been lacerations or my recent problems with ant bites. Those little fuckers we have in the swamp are evil..7-8 bites and I’m starting to get symptoms. 12+ I’m turning red and the swelling starts.
My most severe reaction was fairly intense but 3 bene’s took care of it. Then I got a wasp sting but only localized swelling. No issues.
View Quote

None of those are anaphylaxis.   And, like I said, benadryl helps skin symptoms.

Btw, reactions can worsen over time, so probably a good idea still to get epi.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is a shockingly good answer.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I really don't like this answer. Unlike a personal firearm, car, cooking utensils and a wife... a first aid kit is for other people to use too.  Also, they for other people to use on YOU.

"You haven't received training on this tourniquet so we aren't going to use it on you."  Does that make any real world sense to you?

Yes, a noob shouldn't necessarily be trying to patch up a sucking chest wound and planning for it in a kit, but if there is one, and you are the only one there.... what you gonna do?

A kit goes along with training and if he's thinking about a kit that's great, but "get skillz first noob" is also the wrong answer.
View Quote

People have improvised most of their first aid equipment for thousands of years…if they know how.  If he has $100 to spend and no training he should probably think about spending it all on training.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I actually just dropped ~$800 at Chinook Medical, so here's what I bought:

Gunshot Range kit
QuikClot Z-Fold combat gauze
Butterfly closures
Compressed gauze
4" & 6" Izzie bandages
A shit ton of 4"x4" gauze pads
Chinook BurnPAK
Blister kit
Several (more) SOFTT-W tourniquets
Povidine-iodine prep pads
Would closure kit
HALO chest seals
Pneumodarts
Skin staplers

I also bought a whole bunch of OTC shit from the dollar store & Sam's club... Triple antibiotic ointment, bandaids, diphenhydramine tablets & creams, cortisone, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, witch hazel pads, etc.

Bad shit's coming and I'm gonna be stacked deep.
View Quote

This isn’t to sharp shoot, just an opinion.  Your range kit and long term care kits seem to be overlapping here.  If someone is bleeding out I’d hate to have to dig past a whole bunch of “OTC shit”, skin staplers, and and blister stuff to get to stop the bleed stuff.  Maybe you have them separate it just doesn’t read that way.

Otherwise lots of good stuff there. I would add several SAM splints, a few triangular dressings, and a c-collar.  My kit has a lot but in non-combat situations in the last ~five years I’ve treated a motorcycle rider (my son) and a car that got t-bonned.  No bleeding in either but significant broken stuff in both and I didn’t have a c-collar or help at the car and the driver wouldn’t/couldn’t stay still in an improvised SAM c-collar so had to tape him to the seat.

Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Stop the bleed has pre-made trauma kits. They are not ouchy kit but it's a good place to start for traumatic injuries.

https://www.stopthebleed.org/shop-kit-tourniquet/

The Texas STB kits include chest seals.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#19]
NAR stop the bleed kits

A few of these, Quick clot gauze, 4 x4’, chest seals, Vaseline gauze, etc
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Mountain Man Medical

There are a lot of great videos under the training section, all free. Takes a while to go through them and has questions at the end, sort of like a lot of continuing ed classes. It has some really good info in there. They also sell a lot of great gear, in different kits depending on what you want to have. I had already picked up a couple of MyFAK kits prior to finding them or I would have likely gotten one of their kits also. My kit is mainly for RSO work, stop the bleed and get them to safety.

MyFAK
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:39:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@Number1gun

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269389/20220521_145830_jpg-2392005.JPG
View Quote

Your blurb says benadryl is a second line therapy diphenhydramine is benadryl.  Epi stops the anaphylaxis *momentarily* however a person can go back into anaphylaxis if what is causing the allergic reaction isn't addressed.  That's where benadryl comes in.  Ideally you should use both.  I do know of cases where a person went into anaphylaxis and no epi was available, benadryl was given they got better, they could have gotten better on their own potentially as well.  It's also good to remember anaphylaxis doesn't automatically equal total airway shutdown.

I prefer honey or glucose to sugar cubes.  The sugar cubes will be burned through way to fast and yoyoing someone in hypoglycemia isn't that cool
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:00:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm leaning toward this answer. I've had lots of first aid training through work and scouts. My training is likely more than John Q Public has but probably pales in comparison to many posting here. My wife has all the medical training and carries a kit in her car that she could do almost anything short of brain surgery. As such my training has mostly been done to meet minimum requirements and is not really an extra interest for me.

One thing I would recommend is having some sort of first aid manual to go with all of the supplies. I have seen some pretty good ones over the years.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This isn’t to sharp shoot, just an opinion.  Your range kit and long term care kits seem to be overlapping here.  If someone is bleeding out I’d hate to have to dig past a whole bunch of “OTC shit”, skin staplers, and and blister stuff to get to stop the bleed stuff.  Maybe you have them separate it just doesn’t read that way.

Otherwise lots of good stuff there. I would add several SAM splints, a few triangular dressings, and a c-collar.  My kit has a lot but in non-combat situations in the last ~five years I’ve treated a motorcycle rider (my son) and a car that got t-bonned.  No bleeding in either but significant broken stuff in both and I didn’t have a c-collar or help at the car and the driver wouldn’t/couldn’t stay still in an improvised SAM c-collar so had to tape him to the seat.

View Quote

@sea2summit

Sorry man, just saw your response. I should have clarified, as you are correct. I keep long-term stores and trauma kits separate, along with a separate booboo kit for the house and the car.

That list was just my latest order from Chinook. I do have splints, dressings, and a c-collar (three actually, sized differently for me, my wife, and our daughter). Something else I haven't seen mentioned is Coflex. Can't have too much of that!
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 4:37:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Your blurb says benadryl is a second line therapy diphenhydramine is benadryl.  Epi stops the anaphylaxis *momentarily* however a person can go back into anaphylaxis if what is causing the allergic reaction isn't addressed.  That's where benadryl comes in.  Ideally you should use both.  I do know of cases where a person went into anaphylaxis and no epi was available, benadryl was given they got better, they could have gotten better on their own potentially as well.  It's also good to remember anaphylaxis doesn't automatically equal total airway shutdown.

I prefer honey or glucose to sugar cubes.  The sugar cubes will be burned through way to fast and yoyoing someone in hypoglycemia isn't that cool
View Quote

If you want to get technical,  you can even get rebound symptoms out to a few days after the initial trigger.
And no, anaphylaxis doesn't equal total airway shutdown.  It requires 2 different body systems,  but airway doesn't have to be one.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 6:17:17 AM EDT
[#25]
nvm
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#26]

@ juslearnin

Thanks for the link!
I like what you put together, seems very functional.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Never mind, it was apparently a very stupid idea.
View Quote

?????

I didn’t think so.  I wish I could carry everything I think I need, sacrifices are made no doubt but I still carry a lot of crap.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If you want to get technical,  you can even get rebound symptoms out to a few days after the initial trigger.
And no, anaphylaxis doesn't equal total airway shutdown.  It requires 2 different body systems,  but airway doesn't have to be one.
View Quote

I was just talking to my partner about this.  We are currently out at a station 1.5 hours from the nearest hospital.  We were talking about how many times we would go IM before starting an epi drip and what else we might give enroute after getting a refusal from the father of a small pediatric patient that had angioedema of the lips and hives.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I have several well stocked first aid kits available to me at home, car and at work but they are too large to carry with me.
When out hunting I want to carry a small/simple trauma or gunshot wound kit with me as gunshot is always a possibility when out hunting.   I have a small 5"x7"x3" pouch which can be attaches to my hunting pack so I filled it with following items based on my father's suggestion (he is a retired veterinarian):

1X Tourniquet
1X 7" hemostat (locking clamp)
1X 7" Medical Scissor
1X Israeli bandage
1X 12"x20" Cotton towel
1X 4"x15 feet self-adhesive tape
2X 4"x15 feet gauze roll
10X 4"x4" Gauze
10X 3"x3" Iodine pads/swabs

Any other items I should include to the kit?
I want to keep this one simple and small as it will be something I will constantly carry on my pack or on my belt when out hunting or hiking.

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I was just talking to my partner about this.  We are currently out at a station 1.5 hours from the nearest hospital.  We were talking about how many times we would go IM before starting an epi drip and what else we might give enroute after getting a refusal from the father of a small pediatric patient that had angioedema of the lips and hives.
View Quote

No idea! I'd assume every time symptoms rebounded.  Maybe wilderness-EMT has some data on it?

BTW, I read once that epi pens have enough "extra " liquid for a second dose- you can research that yourself..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top