Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2020 4:09:43 PM EDT
So I’ve developed a relationship with one of the local peanut farmers over the last two years. He leases his land to deer hunters and I have other land I typically deer/pig hunt. Anyway it came up during our last interaction he was apparently paying a guy to hunt hogs during the early part of the season but that guy retired and moved I guess. Needless to say I would have done it for free because I can’t hunt nights for pigs at my other place so I jumped at the chance and told him I was way interested in helping out.  We’re gonna meet next month and see where he sits as far as numbers of pigs/pig problems (I think he try’s to manage them for the deer guys as well).

So aside from the basics of a good daylight recon and agreement to where/when/how many to kill, not driving my 250 across the fields, closing gates, picking up garbage what should I think about to go the extra mile to take care of this opportunity with an eye to the future and maybe more opportunities like this becoming available if he’s happy with my “work”?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I’ve developed a relationship with one of the local peanut farmers over the last two years. He leases his land to deer hunters and I have other land I typically deer/pig hunt. Anyway it came up during our last interaction he was apparently paying a guy to hunt hogs during the early part of the season but that guy retired and moved I guess. Needless to say I would have done it for free because I can’t hunt nights for pigs at my other place so I jumped at the chance and told him I was way interested in helping out.  We’re gonna meet next month and see where he sits as far as numbers of pigs/pig problems (I think he try’s to manage them for the deer guys as well).

So aside from the basics of a good daylight recon and agreement to where/when/how many to kill, not driving my 250 across the fields, closing gates, picking up garbage what should I think about to go the extra mile to take care of this opportunity with an eye to the future and maybe more opportunities like this becoming available if he’s happy with my “work”?
View Quote

Don't brag to others about what you see or kill. Loose lips create massive poaching and head aches!
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you've got a good start. Ask him what he wants you to do with the dead pigs/coyotes/whatever else he wants you to kill. Some of the places we hunt, they don't care if we leave them where they are, they're gone in a couple days with coyotes and buzzards anyway. Others ask that we at least drag them to the edge of the fields. I keep a good rope in the Toyota for that. We typically don't clean/keep them unless someone asks us for some meat.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I was just talking with a good buddy about this the other day: It's all about how you approach the conversation.

I have land owners who feel indebted to me for the nights when I show up and shoot their hogs and coyotes. I have other landowners who charge me $$ for the exact same thing.  The difference essentially boils down to commodification.

You're not a city boy who wants to come out and have fun hunting hogs on this man's property.  You're someone who understands how devastating a sounder could be to a peanut farm, and want to be part of the solution.  Does it happen to be fun? Well sure. But that's not the point.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like you've got a good start. Ask him what he wants you to do with the dead pigs/coyotes/whatever else he wants you to kill. Some of the places we hunt, they don't care if we leave them where they are, they're gone in a couple days with coyotes and buzzards anyway. Others ask that we at least drag them to the edge of the fields. I keep a good rope in the Toyota for that. We typically don't clean/keep them unless someone asks us for some meat.
View Quote
Good point someone added a hog to the compost pile. Not sure who but I appreciate it the bones are hard on hay equipment.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Offer to notify him prior to every hunt.
Does he mind late night shooting, and if so what time do you need to stop.
If you have to remove them from the fields get specifics on where.
Ask him about dragging across the rows vs down the furrows.
Is there any direction you shouldn’t shoot because of equipment, livestock or neighbors if your not familiar with the area.
If you see a coyote, beaver, armadillo etc does he want them eradicated.

Send him pics or vids of your kills after the hunt. If he enjoys them continue, otherwise your call.
Offer to lend a hand if he ever needs anything.
Don’t rut up the property, and be prepared to walk.
I always text the local warden before  I hunt one piece of property. Lesson learned after a 911 call around midnight for suspected poachers. Nearest neighbor was 1/2mile away and we were shooting suppressed.

The landowner may enjoy going with you. Be prepared for strange requests.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Gutdoc has great suggestions. Offering to give meat to the farmer (if he wants any) is a standard thing.  If he wants meat, I would deliver it dressed out, not just drop a dead hog on his door step.  If you want to save time, just field bone them, don't even both gutting them.  That can go really fast if you know how to do it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:13:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Offer to notify him prior to every hunt.
Does he mind late night shooting, and if so what time do you need to stop.
If you have to remove them from the fields get specifics on where.
Ask him about dragging across the rows vs down the furrows.
Is there any direction you shouldn't shoot because of equipment, livestock or neighbors if your not familiar with the area.
If you see a coyote, beaver, armadillo etc does he want them eradicated.

Send him pics or vids of your kills after the hunt. If he enjoys them continue, otherwise your call.
Offer to lend a hand if he ever needs anything.
Don't rut up the property, and be prepared to walk.
I always text the local warden before  I hunt one piece of property. Lesson learned after a 911 call around midnight for suspected poachers. Nearest neighbor was 1/2mile away and we were shooting suppressed.

The landowner may enjoy going with you. Be prepared for strange requests.
View Quote
Very good suggestions here
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Ask him to give you a ride around the property to make sure you don't stray on neighbors land.
Ask about any shooting hazards in outlying areas that you need to be aware of.
Offer him meat.
Make sure you don't look or act like a skuzball.
Take care of his roads. Just because your truck can make it, doesn't mean you should. When things are wet make sure the farmer decides if it is worth road damage vs pig damage.

I can tell you from the farmer's point of view: Letting some dude on your property is as nerve wracking as letting someone in your house. There are soooo many things you can screw up. The more you can do to put him at ease so that he doesn't think you are a goof ball is the best thing you can do.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#11]
All of the above,
I would also assure the farmer that it won't be a free for all, it will be just you or you and whoever else he approves.
I've given up letting people hunt and fish on the farm for this reason.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All of the above,
I would also assure the farmer that it won't be a free for all, it will be just you or you and whoever else he approves.
View Quote
Yeah numbers seem to grow. Then pretty soon you have several groups. Then the next thing you know the main person that is specifically banned is there every week! Then the person that invites said poacher always claims they don't know. Or they trespass on your neighbor and create extra problems. That's where the contract with must provide their own insurance with a 1 million dollar minimum.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All of the above,
View Quote
This boggles my mind
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This boggles my mind
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of the above,
This boggles my mind
Why? Most people are into self gratification with as little time expenditure as possible. Otherwise everyone would be killing to own the large tracts of land.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This boggles my mind
View Quote
Which part, that someone I'm nice enough to let come on my farm would abuse the invitation or that
I just tell everyone NO because I'm tired picking up trash and dealing with crap?
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Which part, that someone I'm nice enough to let come on my farm would abuse the invitation or that
I just tell everyone NO because I'm tired picking up trash and dealing with crap?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This boggles my mind
I think whoever put the pig on the pile the other day played the best joke of all time on me. Cause now I'm wondering Who did the little bit extra work to keep my equipment from getting plugged or dulling my knifes on hay equipment.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#17]
True story, a brother killed a really big boar in a bean field.
The boar was to heavy to drag and he didn't have a ATV to go get it.
He let me know where it was so I could take care of it, no big deal.
Well, I forgot and about a month later at harvest damn, the bones and shreds of the hide go thru the combine.
Nothing broke so I kept going, When the load gets delivered to the elevator I get docked $1600.00
for musty odor.
Lesson learned, remember to drag the nasty pigglies out of the field
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
True story, a brother killed a really big boar in a bean field.
The boar was to heavy to drag and he didn't have a ATV to go get it.
He let me know where it was so I could take care of it, no big deal.
Well, I forgot and about a month later at harvest damn, the bones and shreds of the hide go thru the combine.
Nothing broke so I kept going, When the load gets delivered to the elevator I get docked $1600.00
for musty odor.
Lesson learned, remember to drag the nasty pigglies out of the field
View Quote
I run  a live 40#'er Through  the Mower conditioner once he stopped at the shoulders and smoked the belts! He was fun to cut out with a pocket knife. Now stop and think what a ripe one about a day old would smell like not to mention how slick with all the pork grease! Our silage baler has a set of knifes to pre cut the hay to make it pack better and at 60% moister the bales are Hell to unroll so you dare not want a stoppage.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, the part about someone you invite on becoming an ass hat.  This is why we can't have nice things
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top