Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2021 12:56:09 AM EDT
I'm really considering this as my next daily driver.  No over bearing electronics.   Simple. And not dependent on gas.  DIESEL.   The hoarding car parts thread got me thinking what's the point if you can't buy gas anymore.  That's ultimately how they will push us all to electric vehicles.  I can't make gas but biodiesel is a possibility.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:00:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Will your state allow it to be licensed for road use? Some states will and some won’t.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:41:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will your state allow it to be licensed for road use? Some states will and some won’t.
View Quote

https://atvman.com/tennessee/
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:34:37 AM EDT
[#3]
All of the downsides of a UTV, except also slow and heavy so what’s the upside?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you ever been in an original sized jeep or the that thing? Very tiny.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:03:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm really considering this as my next daily driver.  No over bearing electronics.   Simple. And not dependent on gas.  DIESEL.   The hoarding car parts thread got me thinking what's the point if you can't buy gas anymore.  That's ultimately how they will push us all to electric vehicles.  I can't make gas but biodiesel is a possibility.
View Quote
Hopefully your daily commute is under 45 mph b/c that's the top speed from the factory.  Look here for a work around to get to 70 mph+.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a CUCV blazer or pickup.

At least there are parts and simplicity.  $2,500k- 6000 is a common range.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
All of the downsides of a UTV, except also slow and heavy so what’s the upside?
View Quote

They're easy to mod for more power and speed but also more practical for daily usage than a UTV.  But they're Mahindras.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:46:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Not road legal in FL i know that. Its classified as a side by side
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:59:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Have you ever been in an original sized jeep or the that thing? Very tiny.
View Quote

I didn't feel like these were that bad. Felt a lot better than my friends CJ5. I'm over 6' and fat.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 2:07:33 AM EDT
[#11]
The Mahindra brand isn't exactly famous for reliability - and repair parts are not going to be easy to come by.

Being able to burn an alternative fuel doesn't mean much if your vehicle is out of commission when you need it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:07:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Mahindra brand isn't exactly famous for reliability - and repair parts are not going to be easy to come by.

Being able to burn an alternative fuel doesn't mean much if your vehicle is out of commission when you need it.
View Quote

Quite a few people I know have Mahindra tractors and they seem to be quite reliable. I used to borrow a friends Mahindra tractor and it worked well. Parts were easy to get.

I have read a lot about these Roxors and it appears parts are easily available. Reliability seems to be decent too but it’s a little to early to tell yet IMO. A few places local to me are selling them but of course, they aren’t as common as other brands of UTVs.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#13]
It is small , cheap and light because it doesnt have things that cars and trucks are required to have. like AIRBAGS, CRUSH SPACE, reduced risk roll over CG, ABS, telescoping steering wheels, shatterproof glass. if that vehicle gets ina wreck at 35 MPH people are going ot hospital immoblie if at all. while in a legit road legal vehicle they woudl walk away easily. Which is more likely to kill you? running out of alternative fuel in a post apocolypse wasteland and the biker gang led by Humungus catching you and your dag, OR suzy soccer mom texting and running a red light at 35?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It is small , cheap and light because it doesnt have things that cars and trucks are required to have. like AIRBAGS, CRUSH SPACE, reduced risk roll over CG, ABS, telescoping steering wheels, shatterproof glass. if that vehicle gets ina wreck at 35 MPH people are going ot hospital immoblie if at all. while in a legit road legal vehicle they woudl walk away easily. Which is more likely to kill you? running out of alternative fuel in a post apocolypse wasteland and the biker gang led by Humungus catching you and your dag, OR suzy soccer mom texting and running a red light at 35?
View Quote

Posted by the guy with a motorcycle as his avatar!! A motorcycle has none of those things and even less protection than a Roxor.

I drive my RZR on public roads and it doesn’t have any of those things....and I haven’t died yet.

Ever see a VW (or other) based dune buggy driving around? Same exact thing and many of them are street legal.

There is risk to everything in life. I probably wouldn’t want to drive a Roxor around a bigger city but wouldn’t hesitate to on rural roads and smaller cities.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Roxor still has electronically controlled injection, i.e. there's at least one ECM, and alot of electronics.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Roxor still has electronically controlled injection, i.e. there's at least one ECM, and alot of electronics.
View Quote

I guess a lot is relative.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I would get a K5 Blazer or Jeep TJ over it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quite a few people I know have Mahindra tractors and they seem to be quite reliable. I used to borrow a friends Mahindra tractor and it worked well. Parts were easy to get.

I have read a lot about these Roxors and it appears parts are easily available. Reliability seems to be decent too but it’s a little to early to tell yet IMO. A few places local to me are selling them but of course, they aren’t as common as other brands of UTVs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a Mahindra tractor for years and it worked phenomenally well - no problems at all and I was pretty hard on it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I had a Mahindra tractor for years and it worked phenomenally well - no problems at all and I was pretty hard on it.
View Quote

I think Mahindra is the biggest tractor manufacturer in the word.

If the price was similar, I’d choose Kubota over Mahindra (maybe because that’s what I have?). That said, if the price was right I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a Mahindra.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#20]
My neighbor bought one and let me take it for a drive one afternoon. For a small diesel it has a lot of get up and go but has previously said, top speed 45 mph. There is a computer flash to remedy this.
All in all it is what I suspected. Pretty fun to drive and just like any old utility Jeep but with new parts. Of course the new Jeeps are much nicer but they are marketed to a different crowd.
Several things I noticed. I didn't turn very short but in looking at the front axle, the steering stops were turned way out. Probably to idiot proof the vehicle some what but easily remedied.
It is very simple and there is relatively nothing underneath the dash. You will need a heater kit. Looks like any other Jeep and from what I understand many parts are somewhat interchangeable. Gears locker etc.
They are spendy. I think he paid 15K and his brother owns the dealership. It is a fun drive but for a daily I'm not sure. Depends on how many miles you have to drive and what kind of roads are driven.
Be aware, a Roxor won the 4600 stock class at the King of the Hammers in Johnson Valley CA last year, first time out. The toughest off road race in the world. Look it up on YTube.
I am not a Jeep guy but do enjoy off roading and just bought a 2021 Ranger XP1000. Probably can't compare the two but I like my Ranger.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Be aware, a Roxor won the 4600 stock class at the King of the Hammers in Johnson Valley CA last year, first time out. The toughest off road race in the world. Look it up on YTube.
I am not a Jeep guy but do enjoy off roading and just bought a 2021 Ranger XP1000. Probably can't compare the two but I like my Ranger.
View Quote

I posted a link to that very rig in the big Roxor thread as it is for sale. Honestly though it's almost hard to even compare it to a stock Roxor as nothing is really stock anymore. The axles alone built like they are probably cost more than a base Roxor Jesse Haines is a hell of a builder and I think he really enjoyed rubbing some salt in the wound of a few that talked a bunch of crap about leaf spring vehicles never being competitive let alone being able to win anything.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:03:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a 2018 Roxor for a nice day daily driver in Michigan. It is easy to get a “real car” title & license plate for them here.  Aside from the minor mods to get to a street-legal status, I highly recommend a computer tune.  I used a company called Diesel Freaks because they are close to me.  There are plenty of other companies that offer tuning, too.  The tunes all offer more power than stock and a much higher top speed.  I’ve had my Roxor moving over 70mph on the interstate without any problems.

There are quite a few Roxor groups on Facebook & an Internet forum called Team Roxor that are great resources for more information and sales listings.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a 2018 Roxor for a nice day daily driver in Michigan. It is easy to get a “real car” title & license plate for them here.  Aside from the minor mods to get to a street-legal status, I highly recommend a computer tune.  I used a company called Diesel Freaks because they are close to me.  There are plenty of other companies that offer tuning, too.  The tunes all offer more power than stock and a much higher top speed.  I’ve had my Roxor moving over 70mph on the interstate without any problems.

There are quite a few Roxor groups on Facebook & an Internet forum called Team Roxor that are great resources for more information and sales listings.  Good luck!
View Quote

@bassguy354

Why are there no pictures posted???

Instead of us in this thread speculating, you have first hand experience!

How many miles do you have on it?
Any mechanical issues so far?
What kind of mpg you getting?
Likes?
Dislikes?

Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:30:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Could just do like me.  I am currently having a Kubota 4-cyl turbo mechanically injected diesel installed in my TJ Jeep!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:19:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Could just do like me.  I am currently having a Kubota 4-cyl turbo mechanically injected diesel installed in my TJ Jeep!
View Quote

Saying something like that without pics and specs is just mean. Give me the details. Full fab or some kind of kit?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:45:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like it! Now....what’s the price?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a 2005 LJ (My dream Jeep) and lifted it 4", put a Dana 44 under the front, Ox air lockers front and rear.  Upgraded axles.  36" Swampers.

I'm a Kubota dealer and have a customer that deals in used Kubota (V2203) engines.  A company called Kubota Swapper builds all the conversion parts needed to install.  Says that 55-60mph won't be an issue and I'm fine with that

I haven't kept up with price.  I'm hoping around $5,000-$6,000 total when done.

I'm being lazy and paying someone to do it.  Will cost quite a bit to have done, but it will be much quicker than if I did it and it will be right.

I'll start a thread when it's finished.  I'm pretty pumped about it.  Be unique for sure.

If it goes well, I have a '96 Land Cruiser I'd like to as well.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have a 2005 LJ (My dream Jeep) and lifted it 4", put a Dana 44 under the front, Ox air lockers front and rear.  Upgraded axles.  36" Swampers.

I'm a Kubota dealer and have a customer that deals in used Kubota (V2203) engines.  A company called Kubota Swapper builds all the conversion parts needed to install.  Says that 55-60mph won't be an issue and I'm fine with that

I haven't kept up with price.  I'm hoping around $5,000-$6,000 total when done.

I'm being lazy and paying someone to do it.  Will cost quite a bit to have done, but it will be much quicker than if I did it and it will be right.

I'll start a thread when it's finished.  I'm pretty pumped about it.  Be unique for sure.

If it goes well, I have a '96 Land Cruiser I'd like to as well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84856/LJ_Jeep_jpg-1789464.JPG

View Quote

Price is high but not quite as high as I expected. Changing engines isn’t cheap.  Looking up the engine specs (assuming I found the right ones) it looks like it will be much less HP and torque than the 6 cylinder and still a little less than the 4 cylinder....so sounds pretty gutless.  Will you also be turbo charging it?

I’ve seen a few 4BT conversions and they are really cool but take a lot of extra work due to the height of the engine. I’m guessing the Kubota engine is shorter so perhaps easier to get into the engine bay.

Look forward to learning more about it and your opinions and observations once it’s done. Very neat!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#29]
It will get a turbo.  My understanding is when done it will be less HP, but have simliar torque at a much lower RPM.  We shall see.  I'm hoping I don't ruin my Jeep!  LOL
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Op, I've got a 2020 that I bought in August. I've got about 700 miles on it and was able to get it street legal here in Arkansas. It's got a stage 2 tune it in that doubled the horse power to about 110hp and will run 70mph.

It's pretty bone stock and I've added some lift shackles, mile marker hubs, extra fuse panel, bumpers, 285/75r16's and an 8000lbs winch and with my lead foot I get about 26MPG's.

It's been great so far but I'll say it's a straight axle vehicle and is rough if you are in a hurry. Riding across a pasture at anything over about 10mph is not really doable. I have a plan to take a leaf out of the springs, run the tires a little lower pressure and put some Bilstein shocks on mine. If that doesn't work I will probably switch over to a YJ spring that is supposedly more forgiving.

I'll also note there is way more room in these than a CJ5 or CJ2a. I'm 6'5" and have no issues in it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Op, I've got a 2020 that I bought in August. I've got about 700 miles on it and was able to get it street legal here in Arkansas. It's got a stage 2 tune it in that doubled the horse power to about 110hp and will run 70mph.

It's pretty bone stock and I've added some lift shackles, mile marker hubs, extra fuse panel, bumpers, 285/75r16's and an 8000lbs winch and with my lead foot I get about 26MPG's.

It's been great so far but I'll say it's a straight axle vehicle and is rough if you are in a hurry. Riding across a pasture at anything over about 10mph is not really doable. I have a plan to take a leaf out of the springs, run the tires a little lower pressure and put some Bilstein shocks on mine. If that doesn't work I will probably switch over to a YJ spring that is supposedly more forgiving.

I'll also note there is way more room in these than a CJ5 or CJ2a. I'm 6'5" and have no issues in it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/243882/92873831-C51B-4B60-96F8-7818EC9F30BD_jpe-1794938.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/243882/43C15C71-5C0E-462B-BFBC-D49DAC06A403_jpe-1794939.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/243882/76846CAA-3597-4917-A65A-97FE2DA14699_jpe-1794941.JPG
View Quote

Very neat!  Got any interior and engine pics?

Can you explain the tune a little more?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/243882/92873831-C51B-4B60-96F8-7818EC9F30BD_jpe-1794938.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/243882/43C15C71-5C0E-462B-BFBC-D49DAC06A403_jpe-1794939.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/243882/76846CAA-3597-4917-A65A-97FE2DA14699_jpe-1794941.JPG

Thanks!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The inside is very simple and “rinolined” so you can just hose it out because there are drain holes in the floor.

Old school manual 4wd.

I installed the backseat aftermarket and only the only thing I should have gotten was a “fold and tumble” seat. But this one comes out very easily if I need more room.  

The Roxor weighs about 3000lbs and has a tow rating of 3700lbs.

The ECU tune is pretty simple. Pull it out and mail it into the company of your choice. As pointed out Diesel freaks is probably the top tuner for these and Wade Knows the machines very well. I sent mine to another place called Gilomen innovations and have been very please with it.

A big thing about these is they do not use DEF which makes me very happy. I also have block off plates on the regen system and it works great.

I can go further into detail if you wish. Just let me know.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Have you looked into a top for it?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Have you looked into a top for it?
View Quote

Yes, it is on the list. I've got a bikini top on it now that "came with it". If you buy one new I would tell you to not buy anything from the dealer when you pick it up. There is so much better aftermarket stuff out there. I should have waited and bought a hard top with a basket instead of the bikini. I should have waited and bought a CJ style fold down front window instead of the fixed front one Mahindra sells.

I'm slowly upgrading and trying to keep it under about $500 a month on the spend but I've blown over a few months now with Tires, winch, seat, hubs, bumpers, etc.

I will probably do a roof like this:

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#35]
good luck finding parts for Indian Bosch units.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
good luck finding parts for Indian Bosch units.
View Quote

The ECM or electronics in general?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#37]
You state it would be your Daily Driver (if at all possible) what is your distance one way to work?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top