Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2018 8:26:41 PM EDT
After doing some work on the franken-hustler 6-BTV, I thought I'd replace the old home brew choke at the feed point with a different version.   I had run across a supplier with a pretty decent selection & pricing for ferrites: http://www.kf7p.com/KF7P/Ferrite_chokes.html  and picked up a few, including some FT240-31 toroids specifically for HF chokes.   Type 31 has similar characteristics to type 43, but a broader range that extends into the lower HF freqs.

This time around, I went with a teflon jacketed coax rather than a bifilar wrap.  I ended up using RG-316 for ease of wraps & what looks to be adequate power handling for my uses.   Anyway, this is what the finished product looks like:

I made up two, one for the feed point on the vertical & one on the 6 way antenna switch.  The one in the shack was left open so I could see if any power issues might crop up.  I did test with 1KW cw key down into the dummy for about 45 seconds & only a very slight degree of warmth in the coax.   I also swept the choke, terminated w/50 ohms,  from 1 Mhz -> 30 Mhz with the AA-170.  SWR was <= 1.02:1 for the full range.

Sweeping the sheath through the same range was showing impedance numbers of > 1000 ohms (multiples) for the majority of the range, dropping to 850 - 900 at about 30 Mhz.
(I know it isn't the proper tool for a real test of the wound toroid impedance, but it is what I have, so I took a look ....)

We'll see how it pans out over time.  I haven't really ever run into common mode RF issues, but figured I might as well be pro-active.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#1]
There is some serious ham radio in this thread!!! Good job.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#2]
They look great!
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Fantastic job. I have found running chokes at various points cuts down on noise coming from the shack at the antenna. When I run field day at the EOC i can kill 2-3s-units of noise by putting them right at the outside of the building.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#4]
That looks first class!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top