Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2024 10:52:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thederrick106]
Low lumen flashlights.  I haven't seen a topic on this and figured it might be worth some discussion.

For those times when you don't need or want a can of sunshine or just want to be conservative with your energy storage devices.  I am sure we can all see a situation where this would be beneficial.  

Most modern lights have various brightness settings, and some can be programed for low to come on first.  This will probably suffice for most but what about a long-term grid down situation.  I plenty of rechargeables, basic portable solar, 18650 options that can easily be recharged and also keep a decent AA & AAA alkaline rotation.

Here are a few of my favorite lights.  For this topic, I want to focus on low settings and runtime so I will leave out the brighter versions.  

Streamlight Polytac- two cr123a: 35L for 35H.
Streamlight Polytac X- 18650: 35L for 36H. same as above when using two cr123a.
Streamlight ProTac 90 - cr123a: 40L for 15H...  AA: 40L for 8.25H.
Streamlight Microstream - AAA: 45L for 2.25H.
Fenix E15 - cr123a: 8L for 72H.  (discontinued.)

Those are some decent run times on low and I could go on and on with models and stats, but this leads me to a new light I just got and am really enjoying.  

Streamlight Sidewinder boot - two AA: 7L for 90H.  

After getting one and playing around with it a bit I ordered a couple more to stash in my light box because I think it's better than the average reviews.  It's NOT sunshine in a can in fact it's the exact opposite and why I like it.  I plan on using it when camping, hunting, or just general around the house tasks that don't require a spotlight.  Remember the days when the AA mini mag light was it?  This does that but much better.  The red slider is handy too.  In the end while I do like this specific one, any long-lasting low level lumen battery sipping light will do the same.  For me it's not replacing bright ones but supplementing it for when you don't need to be blinded or scream this is my location during a grid down situation.  It can also run at 55L for 8H which is more than enough light for basic use around the campsite or hunting camp.  Its light and can be made lighter if you use lithium AA.  It can be clipped to just about anything, hat, chest rig, shirt pocket etc.

I have the full-size sidewinder angle head but for my purpose I prefer the lower cost smaller version.   I guess for me it's just a unique but useful light.  I am sure there are low lumen headlamps that can accomplish the same.  If anyone else has any other low lumen battery sipper lights they recommend, please share.

Pics:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm trying their Wedge, like it so far
https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/wedge
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:05:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thederrick106] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tejas1836:
I'm trying their Wedge, like it so far
https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/wedge
View Quote

I have seen that one pop up when looking online.  Looks interesting.  My current EDC light is the NEBO slim.

amazon link

So far so good with it and its plenty bright enough for daytime needs or I might be out after dark situation.   If I know I am going to be in the dark, I grab my polytac from my daily gear bag.

I like that its small in the pocket a rechargeable, but I don't like that it has an internal built battery.  I have never had a light with an internal built battery last long term.  But being it's an edc just in case item and only cost me $15 on sale I am not to concerned.  I probably wouldn't EDC the sidewinder boot in the OP as its more specific task-oriented vs general all around everyday use.

ETA/

& because its my EDC I have it with me.  Pics always make a thread more interesting.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And because this is a low lumen thread here are the Nebo slim stats:

25L for 10H.  
250L for 2H.

USB C rechargable only.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Low lumens is a specialty of Thrunite, almost everything they make has a ultra-low output mode.

I leave a couple of their TC-15s in their low settings on 24/7, I have to recharge about once every
six weeks or so.

I use their Ti3 AAA light as candle replacements, they'll run for more than a week
if you use firefly only at night, and are good for about 6 hours in their low mode (12L) and they fit
fine on a keychain. On high they can do 120L, which is pretty impressive for such a small light.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I always carry a mini aa Maglite with a red filter.

Also have a small single aa flashlight that is low lumens.

I do want to get a couple of the model you have to keep backpacks and boats.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:26:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#5]
I’m in the ’Get Both’ camp, hence my preference for Zebralight.

1) to date, they still have one of the absolute best flashlight drivers on the market, with:

A) the ability to quickly select between 3 Primary brightness levels; Low, Medium and High

B) you can then toggle between 2 selectable settings in each Primary mode (eg. You can set a Moonlight 0.6 lumen mode, and a 3 lumen mode for Low. When you’re in Low mode, a double click switches between those settings, and they’re memorized when you shut it off)

C) they’ve managed to attain efficiencies better than any other company. They hit Maximum brightness levels on 1.2v Eneloops that most companies need 3.7v LiIon for.

D) their low modes have confirmed insane runtimes, eg. The lowest Moonlight mode on my 18650 will run continuously for something like 3-4 months, but it still has the Turbo 1,700 ANSI lumen mode.

https://www.zebralight.com/SC600w-Mk-IV-Plus-HI-18650-Flashlight-with-XHP503-HI-Neutral-White-LED_p_247.html

P.S.
It’s also one of the most compact 18650 lights available
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Streamlight Clipit. White and red high and low settings, recharges via USB. Throws more than enough light on your intended area to see by
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:

View Quote

I still have several of the AA mini Maglite's non LED.  I don't often use them, but I do have a soft spot for them.  When I was younger it was the only small flashlight I had.  I thought it was really neat that they came with a spare bulb in the tail cap.  I have a well-used one sitting on my nightstand at home.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:59:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kskvetski] [#8]
Fenix makes some very good low lumen lights. I like the:

Fenix E18R, cr123, 1 lumen, 200! Hours

Fenix LD15R - cr123 3 lumens low, 110 hours

Both have red lights. They cost about $60

I have both. I prefer the ld15 with a broken off clip and snapped into the Fenix  HM50R( headlamp model of LD15R. Same size just the lowest lumen is 30, not 1 or 3. Fenix is really missing an opportunity here by not having that small headlamp with a low lumen.

If you want a psychotic long running light get the hm61R. It’s a 2 battery car 123 light and it runs for an amazing 300 hours at 5 lumens  with white light and a super impressive 400 hours with the low red light.

I have all of these lights and I prefer the custom arrangement of the  LD15 inside the headlamp clip of the HM50R. It’s very lightweight on your head. Headbands are a million times more useful than a non head band light. This may be overkill but you can do anything with those lights.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Kskvetski:
Fenix makes some very good low lumen lights. I like the:

Fenix E18R, cr123, 1 lumen, 200! Hours

Fenix LD15R - cr123 3 lumens low, 110 hours

Both have red lights. They cost about $60

I have both. I prefer the ld15 with a broken off clip and snapped into the Fenix  HM50R( headlamp model of LD15R. Same size just the lowest lumen is 30, not 1 or 3. Fenix is really missing an opportunity here by not having that small headlamp with a low lumen.

If you want a psychotic long running light get the hm61R. It’s a 2 battery car 123 light and it runs for an amazing 300 hours at 5 lumens  with white light and a super impressive 400 hours with the low red light.

I have all of these lights and I prefer the custom arrangement of the  LD15 inside the headlamp clip of the HM50R. It’s very lightweight on your head. Headbands are a million times more useful than a non head band light. This may be overkill but you can do anything with those lights.
View Quote

A headlamp is never far from my reach, but most of them are cheaper ones.  Out of all those lights you listed I think I like the LD15R the best.  The HM lights are probably a little more than I want to spend.  

https://www.fenixlighting.com/products/fenix-ld15r-right-angle-flashlight

Looks like they are about $55 on average.  I like it!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:11:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:
Low lumen flashlights.  I haven't seen a topic on this and figured it might be worth some discussion.

For those times when you don't need or want a can of sunshine or just want to be conservative with your energy storage devices.  I am sure we can all see a situation where this would be beneficial.
View Quote

This ability is often one of my highest priorities. For a combined utility/defensive light, I have some larger ones with a couple modes and easily (first option) accessible maximum output (for defensive purposes). However, low illumination is my first choice about 90% of the time when using flashlights.

First, it doesn't blind you. Second, it doesn't broadcast to everyone in a 1-mile radius, and lastly, it conserves battery power.

There was as study done by a company marketing lights to the military, predominantly at JRTC (Fort Polk, LA). I know we all understand the red LED wavelengths that don't screw up our night vision as bad as white light, but it also has to do with the output levels. What this company found was that a white light is more effective (especially for map reading) as long as it's the lowest output possible for the task and shielded or directional for its use.

The goal, especial for utility is to use the lowest amount of light necessary (for "tactical" applications), which doesn't hurt for using in/around the home or other job requirements.

Beat me up on the Chinese-manufacture, but I've really taken a liking to the RovyVon Angel Eyes E3 with dual fuel and both a red and white LED for output. I love the lock-out UI for pocket carry, can fit a hat brim for a headlamp, and mine are set up with either a red or white LED and the moonlight is 0.5 lumen, and it graduates from there.

Attachment Attached File

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

This ability is often one of my highest priorities. For a combined utility/defensive light, I have some larger ones with a couple modes and easily (first option) accessible maximum output (for defensive purposes). However, low illumination is my first choice about 90% of the time when using flashlights.

First, it doesn't blind you. Second, it doesn't broadcast to everyone in a 1-mile radius, and lastly, it conserves battery power.

There was as study done by a company marketing lights to the military, predominantly at JRTC (Fort Polk, LA). I know we all understand the red LED wavelengths that don't screw up our night vision as bad as white light, but it also has to do with the output levels. What this company found was that a white light is more effective (especially for map reading) as long as it's the lowest output possible for the task and shielded or directional for its use.

The goal, especial for utility is to use the lowest amount of light necessary (for "tactical" applications), which doesn't hurt for using in/around the home or other job requirements.

Beat me up on the Chinese-manufacture, but I've really taken a liking to the RovyVon Angel Eyes E3 with dual fuel and both a red and white LED for output. I love the lock-out UI for pocket carry, can fit a hat brim for a headlamp, and mine are set up with either a red or white LED and the moonlight is 0.5 lumen, and it graduates from there.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2353/RovyVon_png-3169730.JPG

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2353/RovyVon_png-3169730.JPG

ROCK6

How many modes does it have?  

I am guessing the difference on the main difference on the E1 & E3 are poly vs aluminum & 1 button vs 2?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:10:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: coyotesilencer] [#12]
I love the Nightstick EMT flashlight. Its discontinued so on a clearance price, normally it was $40. For $7 its a great deal for a solid light.

It only has 3 modes and the first one is 3.6L/36hrs on a single AA, which is easily my most used mode. Its designed for EMT's to shine in patients eyes to check pupils so has low lumens as its first mode. 10L/14hrs & 60L/2hrs. I have had a few for years and they have been 100% dependable. Haven't really tortured them but haven't babied them either.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By coyotesilencer:
I love the Nightstick EMT flashlight. Its discontinued so on a clearance price, normally it was $40. For $7 its a great deal for a solid light.

It only has 3 modes and the first one is 3.6L/36hrs on a single AA, which is easily my most used mode. Its designed for EMT's to shine in patients eyes to check pupils so has low lumens as its first mode. 10L/14hrs & 60L/2hrs. I have had a few for years and they have been 100% dependable. Haven't really tortured them but haven't babied them either.
View Quote

Just ordered a few.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#14]
How many modes does it have?  

I am guessing the difference on the main difference on the E1 & E3 are poly vs aluminum & 1 button vs 2?
View Quote

Not too many

Mine is setup to either come on either red or white at the lowest illum possible. I can then choose white output that has three different output modes with maximum being the last. It's my "tactical operations" pocket light

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Streamlight has been my go to lights for years. They make a great product that just works.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:31:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#17]
Most Olights with a side button have a moonlight mode.
Just long-press the side button for direct access.
They claim 100 days on a charge in moonlight mode on the Warrior Mini 3 for example.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
Most Olights with a side button have a moonlight mode.
Just long-press the side button for direct access.
They claim 100 days on a charge in moonlight mode on the Warrior Mini 3 for example.
View Quote

I absolutely hate the proprietary 18650 battery for these lights, and while I can charge them in my regular charger, regular 18650 batteries won't work in them.

That said, I love the versatility of this light and the functions make it a very viable defensive light and very effective utility light. Yes, that moonlight mode is great on these and would last a long, long time.

I would absolutely give up the magnetic charging capability for use with regular 18650 batteries, but for now, I just have to store them separate and make sure I travel with a couple extras if using the Warrior.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:12:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#19]

I absolutely hate the proprietary 18650 battery for these lights, and while I can charge them in my regular charger, regular 18650 batteries won't work in them.

That said, I love the versatility of this light and the functions make it a very viable defensive light and very effective utility light. Yes, that moonlight mode is great on these and would last a long, long time.

I would absolutely give up the magnetic charging capability for use with regular 18650 batteries, but for now, I just have to store them separate and make sure I travel with a couple extras if using the Warrior.

ROCK6
View Quote

I was under the impression that regular 18650's would work, but would not charge in the light or allow you to use the tail switch, guess i was incorrect.
I've never killed my mini 3 dead but I've used it for hours at a time, and either it or a Seeker stay on my dash charger.

I don't love the fact that they use proprietary batteries but they do stand behind them.
Had one give out in an old R50 Seeker Pro, which had a massive battery that i used hard.
Used as the sole light source for an outside rehearsal dinner once, just sat on a table on high pointed at the metal ceiling for the whole thing.
The light was out of production so they sent me a new Seeker2 as a replacement.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 3:36:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#20]
Bought a few of the "Nightstick" items and a Rovyvon item, as suggested above.

Can't say I'm a fan of "dedicated", non-replaceable batts, not lights which cannot accept replaceable batts when need be.

Money well spent for decent items.  Sidewinder item in OP's post in my queue.  Hopefully will accept accessories for my similar, but larger, Sidewinder light.

ETA: Most accessories seem to be identical for both lights -- a "plus" since I already have many of them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#21]

I was under the impression that regular 18650's would work, but would not charge in the light or allow you to use the tail switch, guess i was incorrect.
I've never killed my mini 3 dead but I've used it for hours at a time, and either it or a Seeker stay on my dash charger.

I don't love the fact that they use proprietary batteries but they do stand behind them.
Had one give out in an old R50 Seeker Pro, which had a massive battery that i used hard.
Used as the sole light source for an outside rehearsal dinner once, just sat on a table on high pointed at the metal ceiling for the whole thing.
View Quote

Negative, those Warrior Mini 3's won't take regular 18650's. It's a great light, function-wise, but those proprietary 18650's kind of suck. I have a half-dozen of them, but it kind of sucks for the hobbyist.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:59:50 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Negative, those Warrior Mini 3's won't take regular 18650's. It's a great light, function-wise, but those proprietary 18650's kind of suck. I have a half-dozen of them, but it kind of sucks for the hobbyist.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#23]

ROCK6
View Quote

Those batteries have both positive and negative terminals on the same end, right?

mm
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I still have a couple of the old Gerber Infinity lights.

40hrs on a single AA.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By seek2:
Low lumens is a specialty of Thrunite, almost everything they make has a ultra-low output mode.

I leave a couple of their TC-15s in their low settings on 24/7, I have to recharge about once every
six weeks or so.

I use their Ti3 AAA light as candle replacements, they'll run for more than a week
if you use firefly only at night, and are good for about 6 hours in their low mode (12L) and they fit
fine on a keychain. On high they can do 120L, which is pretty impressive for such a small light.
View Quote

I have a few Wowtac A6's (Thrunite sub brand) and am hooked on the UI. Single press brings you to whatever low-medium-high mode you were last on, long press brings you to moonlight and double press brings you to turbo. I use moonlight daily.
Chapstick caps make excellent AAA light diffusers.

Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:

View Quote

I still have one or two discontinued Fenix E01's, I've read them described as battery vampires. I think it's 12 hours on 13 lumens then like 20 hours on a half lumen, there's been some interesting tests on them. They're the only AAA lights I use a lithium battery instead of an Eneloop. I have a red Carmex cap on it, really helps hide the shitty tint and beam pattern.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

I got both sidewinders. The other one is better than the boot. Has a better beam. Same 55 lumens.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By COLTGOLDCUP:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/134538/Screenshot_20240406_180846_Gallery_jpg-3180484.JPG

I got both sidewinders. The other one is better than the boot. Has a better beam. Same 55 lumens.
View Quote

I have both as well, the regular sidewinder is a better light than the boot, but I prefer the boot for my uses.  It's a bit cheaper and lighter, not as many modes, no blue light or IR but for normally uses I don't have much use for those options.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:22:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#28]
Originally Posted By COLTGOLDCUP:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/134538/Screenshot_20240406_180846_Gallery_jpg-3180484.JPG

View Quote
Most Sidewinder accessories will interchange between the large and small lights.

Flektarn Bundeswehr Flashlight Pouches  may be suitable for larger Streamlight Sidewinder light. I have not tried this, but dimensions of pouch seem suitable.  An "ALICE" adaptor for such pouch will be required.  Lid is secured by 2 strips of velcro; lowest strip secures flap closed, upper strip secures lid in upper position, which reveals "window" for light.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:32:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#29]

Just ordered a few.
View Quote
Just received mine.  I like 'em.  Default is to low setting, easily changed with rapid clicks to recessed tail cap switch.   Two 3/8" wide x 1/16" tall Slots in tail cap bezel for user-supplied lanyard.  Included metal belt/pocket loop is effective.   Can be stood on tail cap, if desired.  We'll see how long the tail cap switches last, usually the first thing to go in lights like this.

Came with 12/2027 dated Energizer AA alkaline batts, instantly replaced with Lithium batts.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By raf:
Just received mine.  I like 'em.  Default is to low setting, easily changed with rapid clicks to recessed tail cap switch.   Two 3/8" wide x 1/16" tall Slots in tail cap bezel for user-supplied lanyard.  Included metal belt/pocket loop is effective.   Can be stood on tail cap, if desired.  We'll see how long the tail cap switches last, usually the first thing to go in lights like this.

Came with 12/2027 dated Energizer AA alkaline batts, instantly replaced with Lithium batts.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By raf:

Just ordered a few.

Got mine on Saturday.  Nice little light for about $10 each after shipping but I certainly would not put its value at the $40 or whatever MSRP.  I agree that the rubber tail cap switch is soft and probably be the first to fail after significant EDC.  Still a nice little battery sipper for the sale price!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I just flipped the clip around so it can be attached to a hat brim.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 5:41:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#31]

Got mine on Saturday.  Nice little light for about $10 each after shipping but I certainly would not put its value at the $40 or whatever MSRP.  I agree that the rubber tail cap switch is soft and probably be the first to fail after significant EDC.  Still a nice little battery sipper for the sale price!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140266/435489051_903142808250263_61872307139791-3183321.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140266/435799858_1580741306110897_3326776261870-3183322.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140266/435913978_343113045443237_30306941112242-3183323.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140266/435650629_398872952909544_50658413647220-3183324.JPG

I just flipped the clip around so it can be attached to a hat brim.

View Quote
Concur. Time will tell about clicky switch durability.  After all, such "clicky switch" durability has a huge difference.

Good idea about reversing the clip.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By coyotesilencer:

It only has 3 modes and the first one is 3.6L/36hrs on a single AA, which is easily my most used mode. It’s designed for EMT's to shine in patients eyes to check pupils so has low lumens as its first mode. 10L/14hrs & 60L/2hrs. I have had a few for years and they have been 100% dependable. Haven't really tortured them but haven't babied them either.
View Quote

Funny story. For me.  Not them.

I had a streamlight that had a low function for checking pupils.  I religiously set it to the low setting when I was at work.  My partner snagged it off my belt and tapped the light then held off for a minute before checking the pupils.  
She got 600lumens of light.

We joked that she was in a tunnel and heading towards the light.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top