Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2021 9:17:29 AM EDT
I have a 750 foot water well.  Dug last year, but with the construction slow downs due to parts (COVID) we were unable to use the well until 2-3 months ago.

Looks like I have tannins.  I say that because that is what the well installers have told me, and online research seems to confirm that.  

I need a tannin filter for my well and I do not know where to buy the gear.

First, I know I need to get an official water analysis to confirm tannins.

Even then, where do I get it done?  I do know a local guy that does the analysis and does install the filters.  He is charging $6000 for a turn key analysis and install.  I get it, he is providing an excellent service, but $6k is a bit much for me to spend.  I have done some research and large tannin filters can run $2-2.5k without installation.

Advice?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a 750 foot water well.  Dug last year, but with the construction slow downs due to parts (COVID) we were unable to use the well until 2-3 months ago.

Looks like I have tannins.  I say that because that is what the well installers have told me, and online research seems to confirm that.  

I need a tannin filter for my well and I do not know where to buy the gear.

First, I know I need to get an official water analysis to confirm tannins.

Even then, where do I get it done?  I do know a local guy that does the analysis and does install the filters.  He is charging $6000 for a turn key analysis and install.  I get it, he is providing an excellent service, but $6k is a bit much for me to spend.  I have done some research and large tannin filters can run $2-2.5k without installation.

Advice?
View Quote
I've only heard of "Tannins in wine, but being on well myself, I was curious, did a few seconds of looking and saw this Article on Tannins in the water.

Aside from Tea or cooking, we don't normally drink our well water, we buy 2 cases of water every week or so, but I do see some evidence of this.
I notice our toilets get what looks like dirt or sand just under the water line and a flush does not move it, it takes a light swipe of the toilet brush and a flush to get ride of it, then in a few weeks it starts up again. Also the water does seem to make the whites a bit dingey...
I'm not sure if that is a sign of tannins or something else.

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I did not know about tannins in water until my driller brought it up, which prompted me to do research.  I have determined via home testing that the discoloration is not iron, so that most likely only leaves tannins (also my driller believes that to be the case).

Now where to get the filter?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did not know about tannins in water until my driller brought it up, which prompted me to do research.  I have determined via home testing that the discoloration is not iron, so that most likely only leaves tannins (also my driller believes that to be the case).

View Quote
https://waterfiltersofamerica.com/tannin-water-filters/

No affiliation with these guys, but it looks legit.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#5]
There are a couple of super legit looking sites out there.  

Just asking for any personal endorsements.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've only seen tannins in surface water and it's usually from the decay of tree leaves or marsh/swamp water.

I wouldn't think you'd have it in a 750 deep well, but........
View Quote

I agree with Waldo.  Tannins in a properly constructed 750' dtilled well is unlikely.  

Tannin tests are available, but Total Organic Carbon (TOC) is a more common to test to determine if tannins are possible, which is also unlikely in this water source.

Tannins can easily be removed with carbon filters.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a tannin problem that is seasonal.
Been at our place in N FL a year now.  Have no clue how deep the well is.
I am under a mile from the by the Suwanee and Sante Fe rivers.  When the Suwanee swells up from rains in GA, the brown water infiltrates everyone's well around here.

A reverse osmosis system and or a hard water treatment system can treat this.  Pricey though.

I don't have these systems.  I have added a 3 stage filtration system: sediment, iron/mag, lastly a tannin filter.  When its bad, the water will have a slight tint to it still.  No smell or taste though.  I monitor my water daily as I pump water for garden daily pre-filters.  The tannin filter cartridge alone will run $65-110.  Your water filter requirements (household use) and flow rate will dictate what size filter you need.  There's just two of us and my flow isn't crazy strong, so went with the 2.5x20.

As others mentioned before, make sure its tannin, not iron, which will give a similar tint to your water.

ETA: I have found carbon filters do not work.  the filters I am using are a resin based unit.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ask yourself......how in the hell did a bunch of organic material get 750' in the ground?   Maybe you need to bore scope your well, b/c this is a very unlikely scenario, but maybe somebody dumped shit all down your well, or a swamp is draining into a well defect?.  I would start with the premise that tannins in a deep drilled aquifer is very unlikely.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ask yourself......how in the hell did a bunch of organic material get 750' in the ground?   Maybe you need to bore scope your well, b/c this is a very unlikely scenario, but maybe somebody dumped shit all down your well, or a swamp is draining into a well defect?.  I would start with the premise that tannins in a deep drilled aquifer is very unlikely.
View Quote

Yea.  However unlikely, it is the scenario we are looking at.  I went down that pathway of why organically that deep, I was ready to certify that the well is NOT 750 feet but they charged me for 750 feet of drilling.  I was going to call another well company to determine the depth.  

The guy that drilled my well has been in business for 30+ years as a family run enterprise.  One proven fraud case will sink his business and he has sons that are in the process of inheriting it.

I did get a filter put in two days ago, professionally.  I went down this option because of several reasons, but mainly because he’s local and guarantees clean (if not perfect water). Side benefits, it’s all USA made equipment and high quality.  

He tested the water and its massively contaminated with tannins, and nothing else.  The filter already has cleared up the water to the kitchen sink (cleaned out the pipes to it).  So I have very high hopes.

Filter guy told us he sells 75% of his tannin filters to my area.  He thinks is with all the fracking in the area.  I have a fracking well about a 600 yards from me, and that’s the closest one.  Several more around, some active and most inactive after years of use.

Either its a bad well, with known fraud (he dug it shallow and charged me for deep), or its tannins which are very common in my area of East Texas.  

I don’t think I’ll ever know the real reason until I check the well.  But which scenario is most likely?
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I forgot to mention, anything more shallow and there is a lot of iron in the water.  My well, no iron.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#12]
It’s all a learning experience for me.  

I knew about tannins.  I knew they were in a lot of products, but the only one I needed to be concerned with was wine.  

The water is better.

Now to handle the regen on the filter.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top