Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2021 5:50:07 PM EDT
Hell all:

I'd like to take my existing 8 gauge power cables, cut them, and re-end them with some kind of connector system that would allow me to change out a pigtail with the current pin connectors that fit my Samlex power supply with another pigtail with lugs for a deep cycle battery. Can anyone recommend a connector for this? If Radio Shack were still a thing I'm sure I could pick something out that would work but with everything being online I'm just not having success getting certain that what I'm looking at is what I need. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Not 100% sure I follow you, but I use Anderson Powerpole connectors, and like them: https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power-powerpole-sb-connectors
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#2]
8AWG wire requires a PP75 series Powerpole connector. That's not a big deal, it's a great connector, and Powerwerx and others carry that series. But...just bear in mind that it will only mate with another PP75 and will not mate with the more common PP15, PP35 and PP45 series connectors, all of which will mate with each other.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#3]
For wire that large I'd probably look at an SB series connector, you can get knockoffs really cheap. They are common on batteries / chargers / jumper cables for large equipment.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For wire that large I'd probably look at an SB series connector, you can get knockoffs really cheap. They are common on batteries / chargers / jumper cables for large equipment.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/68732/7E2E2AEB-A96F-4C44-87A8-E37EED3A4C74_jpe-1962442.JPG
View Quote
This is the connector that I use as well.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless you really need that much amperage capability, I'd suggest going down to 10ga wire and using the 45a powerpoles.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Unless you really need that much amperage capability, I'd suggest going down to 10ga wire and using the 45a powerpoles.
View Quote
I hate crimping those 10ga powerpoles...one of these days Ill get their crimper.

The other option is going to an radio control battery plug.  The XT90 plugs are rated for 8ga, and they cant be accidently hooked up backwards (as long as you solder them correctly) I use the XT60 a lot on RC vehicles.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I hate crimping those 10ga powerpoles...one of these days Ill get their crimper.

The other option is going to an radio control battery plug.  The XT90 plugs are rated for 8ga, and they cant be accidently hooked up backwards (as long as you solder them correctly) I use the XT60 a lot on RC vehicles.
View Quote

Thanks for this and all the responses. These are exactly what I've been looking for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top