Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2019 3:12:04 PM EDT
Starting to work on my HAM license and I thought about getting in the CB game just for local chatter.
Any recommendations on vehicle mounted & stationary cb radios?
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#1]
As you are working on your ham lic, why waste money on a CB?

No ready they are crap at the best of time, and pretty much line of suite other wise.

Best to just get a hand held ham radio.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had this one for over 25 years
Uniden

Get a Wilson antenna mini or K40 depending on vehicle

BTW this setup will cost more than a Chi-Com Baofeng UV-5R Ham HT
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As you are working on your ham lic, why waste money on a CB?

No ready they are crap at the best of time, and pretty much line of suite other wise.

Best to just get a hand held ham radio.
View Quote
11m is still worthy in many cases......
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#4]
CB is the trailer trash of the radio hobby.  Just avoid it.

The best CB related story I have to offer:

Someone I know once shut down a CB'er who was running stupid power out of a badly tuned power amplifier that was interfering with everything in every direction for quite some distance.

How he did it:  He chained the bumper of his truck to the base of the miscreant's antenna mast. (A simple multi-section telescoping pole.)    And drove away fast.

While the miscreant was talking on the radio.

ZIP, there goes the tower, the antenna, the cable, the power amplifier, and the radio, out the window, all still connected to each other.   And it yanked the microphone right out of the guy's hand.   This string of gear was then dragged down the street and then abandoned a few miles out,  clearly no longer in any kind of usable condition.

I'm sure the look on the CB'ers face must have been absolutely priceless.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't, just don't. Unless you KNOW that you have a specific reason to communicate with someone on CB that can't be done any other way. Get your amateur license, learn what you are doing (start by not using the term "HAM") and don't look back.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#6]
lol....I'll just leave this thread alone.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Only reason to have a CB is if you are off-road with others that have a CB.  Just my opinion since you are working on HAM
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Forget CB.  It won't be 'local chatter', just endless idiocy.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#9]
The only thing positive I can say about CB is having when travelling on the interstates. I have 2m ham as well but when there are major traffic issues ie..(complete shut down of traffic) CB seems to be a much better option for gathering info on the situation.

Just my personal experience....otherwise its useless.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#10]
There's a difference between normal use and "Survival Gear", this gets lost on the ham "enthusiasts" here.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Model suggested from a previous CB thread is the Uniden PRO520XL. Going one step up from the lowest price models to get an RF gain adjustment, such as that model, will be helpful. The Cobra 19 DXIV looks similar and in the same price range but no experience with it. The high dollar models with all the extras don't really get you much, and SSB is of very limited utility on CB.

Antenna setup is very important if you actually want a CB to work. CB is a very low frequency compared to other kinds of mobile communications, where vehicle dimensions become small fractions of a wavelength. Thus, where you put the antenna on the vehicle and lots of little details add up to big differences in performance. Try to get an antenna with at least a 4 foot whip, located at something resembling center roof will help a lot. Larsen NMO27 on an appropriate magnet mount base would be a good choice. Due to the frequency/wavelength thing, antenna tuning is sensitive to the specific vehicle and installation, so all CB antenna installations need some fine tuning. It would be ideal if you could find someone local with an antenna analyzer to give you a hand, but it can be done the hard way with an SWR meter.

Nothing different for a "base station" radio, other than you need a power supply to provide ~12VDC power from your 120VAC outlets. Something in the 5 to 10 amp range will be sufficient, larger is ok, main thing is to get one that doesn't have objectionable RF noise at the low frequency that CB operates at.  There are some pretty low cost switching power supplies on the market now that seem to do ok. For a base station antenna, there are about 1000 designs of snake oil garbage on the market, I'd suggest something like a simple 1/4 wave ground plane like this..

What you will find after doing all this is that the CB band is an utter cesspool of offensive noise.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Only reason to have a CB is if you are off-road with others that have a CB.  Just my opinion since you are working on HAM
View Quote
This.  It's why I still have one.  I use one of these with a Firestik...  not great but very small footprint.  And in TX,  I like having a weather radio.

Amazon Product
  • Remote Mount System - Allows convenient dashboard installation
  • Sound Tracker System - Cuts noise up to 90 percent for clearer communication
  • NOAA Weather and Emergency Radio - Be prepared for storms and emergencies with built-in NOAA radio receiver

Link Posted: 7/16/2019 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I spend 2-3 hours a day going to and from work.  CB can be quite entertaining at times and can make a boring drive a little more tolerable.

I just bought this to go in my truck.  79.99 and also has a 20 dollar rebate on it right now.

President Andy CB
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 6:55:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a midland handheld hooked up to a Wilson 1000. I get pretty good range most days.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I spend 2-3 hours a day going to and from work.  CB can be quite entertaining at times and can make a boring drive a little more tolerable.

I just bought this to go in my truck.  79.99 and also has a 20 dollar rebate on it right now.

President Andy CB
View Quote
How do you like this so far?
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

President Andy CB
Well, I ended up having to go a different route with my antenna...so I actually haven't installed it yet.  It looks fantastic though!
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well, I ended up having to go a different route with my antenna...so I actually haven't installed it yet.  It looks fantastic though!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

President Andy CB
Ha, ok. Report back once you get it going.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I think if I were install a CB radio I would get one from a place where CB is more popular than it is here.

DIN mounting and other options....
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 3:02:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I own one.

I keep it in the semi for hollering at the gate house/ scale house/ loader operator at places I go.

My normal QSO is something like “hey loader operator give me 23 1/2 tons.” He repeats 23.5 and loads the trailer accordingly. I thank him and turn that damn thing off.

Amazon Product
  • Uniden's Professional Series PRO505XL is a compact and affordable full 40 channel CB radio featuring CB and Public Address functions with an easy-to-read large backlit LCD display.
  • This compact durable radio is easy to use and will fit into virtually any vehicle with its compact size.
  • Monitor your transmit power and check the relative strength of incoming transmissions with the built-in Signal/RF Power Indicator, and use the public address function to be heard outside your vehicle with an optional external PA speaker.

33 bucks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#20]
How about the Midland 75-822? Can be either handheld or vehicle mounted.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think if I were install a CB radio I would get one from a place where CB is more popular than it is here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Isn't US legal, and not even capable of US frequencies. It's a nice concept if they would make it usable in the US.

It would be even more useful if carmakers would actually put DIN mounting locations in their vehicles, with extra slots for accessory equipment.

Quoted:
I own one.

I keep it in the semi for hollering at the gate house/ scale house/ loader operator at places I go.

My normal QSO is something like “hey loader operator give me 23 1/2 tons.” He repeats 23.5 and loads the trailer accordingly. I thank him and turn that damn thing off.
Your usage is the perfect application for the RF gain adjustment that I mentioned earlier. Turning the RF gain way down will reduce the noise level and distant signals and leave you with just the really strong signals you want to hear.

People typically use squelch as is common from FM, but with an AM system the RF gain is very useful, if less intuitive.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Isn't US legal,
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Isn't US legal,
True

..and not even capable of US frequencies.
False

It's a nice concept if they would make it usable in the US.
It is usable on the US freqs in AM or FM.  As mentioned, not legally.

It would be even more useful if carmakers would actually put DIN mounting locations in their vehicles, with extra slots for accessory equipment.
I mentioned the other options.  You have to poke around the website for yourself.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a CB and a radar detector back in the '70s, both very carefully set up.  The Radar detector was hidden.  Both of them saved me from some traffic tickets.  Nowadays, I try to stay a tinch less than the prevailing traffic speed, for various reasons, tickets amongst them.  Try to keep to the right.

While radar (and laser) detectors are available, I find it far less expensive, and far less nerve-wracking to drive at prevailing traffic speeds, as opposed to speeds far in excess of the same.

I understand that cell phones, mounted atop the dashboard, and working in conjunction with one's on-board radio, have features that will give the driver some sort of "look-ahead" provisions that are very useful.

FWIW, my last traffic stop was about a month ago--I was slightly over the speed of prevailing traffic; It happens.  Once I told the Cop I was simply going to work, he ran my plates, and I went on my way without even a written warning.  Of course, I employed The Plan when dealing with the Cop.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Got into ham radio and never installed the old CB.
Ham radio > CB.
CB probably better on the road than ham radio but I don't have room to have both in the car.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll go against the grain here. I am a ham and think that CB is still a tool in your tool box. If the SHTF, you might be able to monitor CB and get valuable info.

I have a Yaesu dual band in my truck, and will be putting in a President McKinley shortly as well.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I concur with the advice of skipping cb if you are getting licensed. I doubt you will touch it after getting access to the ham bands.

If you are dead set on it get somthing with SSB (sideband) capabilities. It's much more efficient and can reach out further.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This.  It's why I still have one.  I use one of these with a Firestik...  not great but very small footprint.  And in TX,  I like having a weather radio.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00005N5WW
View Quote
I have this one also, works good for what its intended for.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#28]
The only way to roll with a CB is not "legal"

We used to have a blast in the late 80s early 90s trolling.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I picked this one up, cant have enough comms. I have about a dozen handheld ham radios. I'll pick one more up like this one and then my comms are completed.

Amazon Product
  • The Uniden PRO401HH delivers the convenience of a handheld CB radio with the security of knowing you have the longest range possible so you can always stay in touch.
  • Features a low-power setting to conserve battery life and a high-power setting so you can extend your range When needed.
  • Designed for use in the citizens band (CB) radio service, the PRO401HH mobile radio will operate on any of the 40 CB frequencies authorized by the (FCC).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top