Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2021 9:25:57 PM EDT
Hey guys got anything unusual to recommend I can plant in the garden?

Looking for anything really just bored with the same old same old.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Bamboo,  once it grabs hold,  you won't be bored anymore
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:52:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#3]
If you haven't grown them before, watermelons, pumpkins, cucumber, squash. One or two plants will take over the garden when they start to run and produce.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Cotton, just for giggles.  
A buddy got it to where you could see the fibers forming.  This was in WI 35 years ago so you should be able to pull it off now that we all live in the banana belt.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Aunt Molly's Ground Cherries
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 12:04:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you haven't grown them before, watermelons, pumpkins, cucumber, squash. One or two plants will take over the garden when they start to run and produce.
View Quote

I probably should have said what we do grow

Pumpkins
Sweet corn
Pop corn
Carrots
Beets
Acorn squash
Butternut squash
Zucchini
Swiss chard
Green beans
Peas
Watermelon
Cantaloupe
Okra
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Cucumber
Peppers
 Jalapeño
 Bell orange red green
  Habanero
  Tabasco
  Cayenne
Tomatoes all kinds heirloom and otherwise
Onions
Kohlrabi

ETA eggplant

ETA2  salsify

We have grown different kinds of turnips and rutabaga and had no use for them

Some strange peppers would be OK if anyone has a favorite sweet that's not your normal
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 12:44:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Cucuzza
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 12:52:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Four or five varieties of sunflowers.
View Quote

Apparently, you can eat the immature flowers of sunflowers like an artichoke, or roast them when they're a bit bigger, but before they're fully developed. Made me think about planting them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Ever do Seminole/Cherokee pumpkins or Everglades tomatoes? Both are considered US natives through naturalization.

Duck potato and Chinese water chestnut are a couple you probably haven’t tried if you don’t do water gardens.

Goji berries.

Fruit trees and bushes?
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:11:53 AM EDT
[#11]
If you do plant cotton, please be considerate and place boll weevil traps.  It won't affect a few plants in your garden but the boll weevil is extremely invasive and all efforts to kill every one possible is an act of kindness to the rest of society.

My suggestions are okra, tobacco, watermelons, and in late June plant pumpkins to come in around Halloween.  I like to plant greens for the winter.  Collards, mustards, and the usual lettuces and cabbages.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#12]
My vote for unusual "new" veggies:  Leeks and parsnips.

Leeks:  You can pretty much think of these as onions that you grow like potatoes.  Hill soil up round them to get longer, white stems.  Water loving.  Will tolerate cold making them a cold season veggie that last well into the fall.  Potato leek soup is a fave

Parships:  Plant EARLY.  germination is VERY slow.  If you want big well developed root, consider speicalized planting.  Drive a pipe or iron rod into the soil, wiggle it around some to make a deep, tapered hole.  Will loosely with light soil/sand.  Plant your seed in the top of the hole.  The preformed hole really seems to encourage good root development.  Like leeks, these are a veggie that is best last Fall/Early winter.  Dig, don't pull.  These buggers will be feet deep in the soil.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Corpse Flower that only blooms every 35 years and smells like death?
Covers up the smell of the dead bodies from your unlicensed graveyard in the rest of your garden.
And gnomes, lots of gnomes doing S&M.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ever do Seminole/Cherokee pumpkins or Everglades tomatoes? Both are considered US natives through naturalization.

Duck potato and Chinese water chestnut are a couple you probably haven’t tried if you don’t do water gardens.

Goji berries.

Fruit trees and bushes?
View Quote

We do have a few apple and pear trees will be planting 200 raspberry plants 8 different cultivars this year
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Chinese Yard-long beans are kind of cool.

Malabar "spinach" is an easy-growing vine and handles summer heat better than the real stuff.

Hatch Chiles are always a good time.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 2:36:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Turnips my good man.

Very bountiful - both the greens and the globe are edible... in fact, delicious.  Also a favorite of livestock/chickens.

Similarly, daikon or other radishes.

And since we're playing in the dirt, another suggestion would be sugar and/or fodder beets.

ETA:  saw your note regarding turnips... you need to try them roasted with olive oil and lightly seasoned or mashed...
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Plant cranberries, they look nice, provide ground cover, are edible and are perennials. No bog is needed, they actually do well in well drained soil.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 3:12:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Aunt Molly's Ground Cherries
View Quote

These were a poor showing for me last year. We upgraded to Gigante to try this year.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't see eggplant on your list.

You're light on lettuce, too.

Try romaine.
View Quote

Oh you are right forgot eggplant on my list we love it fried make sandwiches with lettuce tomato cheese and mayo

My wife also makes a lasagna with it in place of noodles it's awesome I like a lot more then the traditional way
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Turnips my good man.

Very bountiful - both the greens and the globe are edible... in fact, delicious.  Also a favorite of livestock/chickens.

Similarly, daikon or other radishes.

And since we're playing in the dirt, another suggestion would be sugar and/or fodder beets.

ETA:  saw your note regarding turnips... you need to try them roasted with olive oil and lightly seasoned or mashed...
View Quote

I grew purple top last year wasn't impressed at all but I never tried them roasted
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Have you grown any of those gourds that people make birdhouses out of.  Believe it or not, there is quite a market for those things.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Have you grown any of those gourds that people make birdhouses out of.  Believe it or not, there is quite a market for those things.
View Quote

No I haven't
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Soup beans/peas.
Like black beans, navy beans, black eyed peas.  

Bird house gourds.  People might still pay decent $$ for them after they dry and get painted.  Like for bird houses.  They vine out a lot though

Try turnips in stew or pot roast.   Very original colonial American ingredient for pot roast.

Last year was a bad year for my garden due to a July and August with pretty much zero rain.
But for pumpkins I like the heirloom charantais variety.  Very thick and orange flesh.
Beans I like the fortex pole green beans.  Usually the do very well, vine like crazy and very productive.
I need to get a patch of asparagus growing again.  I bought new roots last spring but never got them in.  Probably have to order new ones.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 5:51:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Cucuzza
View Quote

I have not hear this in 40 plus years,  my dad would plant it every year and our back yard would be like a scene from Jumanji, it would take over everything, including the clothes line
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Dandelion,  mizuna,  chijimisai,  napa, pak choy, Kohlrabi?
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Dandelion,  mizuna,  chijimisai,  napa, pak choy, Kohlrabi?
View Quote

I'll have to look up what some of those are but kohlrabi is a must have in our garden for sure
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'll have to look up what some of those are but kohlrabi is a must have in our garden for sure
View Quote

Yeah, I missed that on your list. I love it pickled.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well now you have my attention. I love all things pickled we just eat it fresh right out of the garden and often while we are out there working
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Couple new ones we got for this year:

Tiger melon
Sorghum Broomcorn
Potato cucumber
Banana melon
Romanesco Broccoli
Indian corn- wife wants it for decorations
Double red sweetcorn
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Veggie garden?  Flower garden? Landscape beds?

Something oddball?

I have suggestions.

Okay veggie garden.

I suggest edible flowers to go on salads.

In particular, nasturtium.

They aren't that easy to germinate, but you can do it.

Scratch the seed with a file (they're big seeds), soak them in water overnight to hydrate them, and plant them.  More than you think you want.

The blooms are gorgeous, and edible, with a yummy, peppery flavor.
View Quote

Now that is different thanks and thank you yall for the suggestions
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well now you have my attention. I love all things pickled we just eat it fresh right out of the garden and often while we are out there working
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The internet can lead you a whole passel of recipes. I have "The Joy of Pickling". It has 2 different recipes for pickled Kohlrabi.

Have you ever hollowed them out and stuffed them?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
OP, do you know there is an epic pickle thread right here in our forum?

If you haven't seen it, I will link it for you.
View Quote

If you are referring to the BozemanMT pickle recipe thread then yes if something else then no
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 11:34:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 11:42:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Asparagus is fun
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#42]
One thing we grow that I forgot to list is  salsify. Must of got some bad seed last year cause nothing grew so really looking forward to getting some this year.

If your not familiar with it it has an excellent oyster like flavor my grandmother makes it like scalloped potatoes
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Red leaf Amaranth is pretty and great in a salad.  The seeds can be ground to flour as well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:11:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I haven't even heard of salsify for....good Lord, I don't know how many years!

Okay now I want to grow it.

Where did you get your seeds?  @Iowaredneck  

View Quote

I just ordered some from seed savers

https://www.seedsavers.org/mammoth-sandwich-island-salsify
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#46]
I have some Komatsuna and diakon seeds coming in on Monday. Will wait to fall for the diakon.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 5:15:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Birdhouse gourds. The dry them, paint them, cut hole and sell.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Pineberries is one i am interested in.
Asparagus is awesome and easy, healthy and a good patch provides a lot forever.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Planted stuff in the greenhouse last Friday and lot of it is  it's up today

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:00:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

My Dad always liked kohlrabi but but plain to snack on
I grew a few last year but it was a lousy growing season due to drought.  I have a few started again
I found a recipe online for mashed kohlrabi (like mashed potatoes) and many people said it’s actually very good. I will try it if they do well this year.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top