Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2024 4:40:49 PM EDT
Putting together a basic packable setup powered off an 18650 cell block, Raspberry Pi for digital modes, and the ability to swap in a 2m HT for ultra mobility, or a more powerful VHF/UHF mobile or even HF rig. Trying to think of different ways to integrate all this into my pack, wondering what you all have tried/learned along those lines.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]
One thing I learned is to not use a Pi. Once you add a display and keyboard you might as well use a micro-laptop. It's neater, cleaner, more reliable and much, much faster.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm trying to keep cost low for a basic setup. Suggestions for a low cost micro laptop? Haven't had one since the eeepc came out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:07:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#3]
The Evolv Maestro is pretty good. I've been using one for a while. 12v charging too. Runs windows. I wanna say they are right around $100.

I also agree on Pi. I tried to run one portable. Don't get me wrong. It worked. But it wasn't great. I was using logging software, WSJTX so on. But it's way easier to just use a windows laptop.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#4]
There's no end of cheap micro laptops on AliExpress. Plenty of YouTube reviews of same. Just do a little searching. You should be able to handily beat a Pi build for only $200 or so.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Evolve III Maestro 11.6" Laptop Computer

This is the potato laptop I would buy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:40:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#6]
A caution for guys planning to use laptop or palmtop computers as field radios:

1)  Make sure it's waterproof.  It rains outside;

2) ensure your screen works in the cold.

Having been on the bleeding edge of lightweight high-speed / low drag military radios i can tell you from experience that a screen that doesn't work below freezing is dead weight.  Ditto one that dies when exposed to any kind of moisture.

The Achilles heel of this radio system was the notebook computer.  It was worse than useless (because it cost you, as the taxpayer, wasted money):

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#7]
If my laptop dies no big deal. I can do POTA another day. I'll go grab lunch.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:
Evolve III Maestro 11.6" Laptop Computer

This is the potato laptop I would buy.
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:50:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat:
If my laptop dies no big deal. I can do POTA another day. I'll go grab lunch.
View Quote

But some people demand SHTF ruggedness and quality. That’s why so many use the Raspberry Pi. lol

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want, you could find a compatible portable and pair it with Armoloq rails to protect it. Most of them will fit within a PRC-117 pouch.

The same guy who makes Armoloq also has battery pack covers. If you want to do digital modes with it, rather than use a pi, you could get a Mobilinkd, which would pair with your phone via bluetooth and you can use apps on there for it. Otherwise a Digirig would work for a TNC hookup and any mini-laptop of your choice as has been detailed here.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#11]
[Unedited] TTP Manpack Prototype for the FT-857D

The Tech Prepper has some interesting ideas for pack radios.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:48:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lorazepam] [#12]
Originally Posted By RocketmanOU:
I'm trying to keep cost low for a basic setup. Suggestions for a low cost micro laptop? Haven't had one since the eeepc came out.
View Quote

The evolve III maestro is better than a pi. and after putting everything together, it is cheaper. Micro center has them for less than 100 bucks.
There are kits that integrate a pi into a 10" touch screen that is powered by 12v and internally supplies the pi with 5v. If you already have the pi, the kit runs around 100 bucks. If my maestro dies, I will consider that route. I am tired of windows, and there are some ham specific linux packages that are pretty simple to install, configure and use. Lots of folks have put mint on the evolve laptops, and claim it improves battery use.
Pi 4 Versus Evolve Maestro Laptop
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:55:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#13]
I got a Maestro for $35 at microcenter as an "open box". Immediately ran a Windows de-bloat script on it to kill all the bloat. Runs fine. Mouse pad sucks ass. Its bad. 100% recommend as a throw away field laptop for fun radio, hobby level use. As stated, can charge straight from w 12V source.

FYI; if you kill windows on them and run linux you will likely never get the internal sound card drivers to work again. Not a big deal for Ham stuff, but it is some weird thing where the sound drivers are baked into the original Windows install and lost forever if you to another route.

The judge/jury has already ruled Pis are not reliable enough for field computing. Everyone has tried and been left wanting more.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:

But some people demand SHTF ruggedness and quality. That's why so many use the Raspberry Pi. lol

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#15]
This guy has pretty much the basics on installing mint. Adam in the other video does the same in a series of videos. He is more ham related. This guy talks a bit about audio, and has a different video where he discusses it.
How To Install Linux Mint & WiFi Drivers Guide For Evolve III Maestro Laptop
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:37:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RocketmanOU] [#16]
Have a pi4 on hand that runs fldigi no problem, so I'm starting with that - may go down the path of a laptop if I have to, but we'll see - trying to use what I've got on hand. For the moment, I'm using a conductive aluminum case for heat transfer so the pi can stay in the bag, and using a phone with vnc and a waterproof case to do the typing and mouse work.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#17]
As an alternative power option, I've started using power tool adapters and as 12V voltage stabilizer (so a 24-9V DC-DC converter with 12V output).

This lets me throw my Makita power packs into the adapter and run the whole show and makes
"recharging" a breeze with a pack swap.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By seek2:
As an alternative power option, I've started using power tool adapters and as 12V voltage stabilizer (so a 24-9V DC-DC converter with 12V output).

This lets me throw my Makita power packs into the adapter and run the whole show and makes
"recharging" a breeze with a pack swap.
View Quote

That's precisely what I'm using right now.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By RocketmanOU:
Have a pi4 on hand that runs fldigi no problem, so I'm starting with that - may go down the path of a laptop if I have to, but we'll see - trying to use what I've got on hand. For the moment, I'm using a conductive aluminum case for heat transfer so the pi can stay in the bag, and using a phone with vnc and a waterproof case to do the typing and mouse work.
View Quote
There are worthwhile things one can learn from these type of projects.  If I were to start this project today I would opt for a rugged Android 13 tablet instead of the Beaglebone Black  thing I worked up back in the day.  Of course I obviously have a history of questionable decisions as evidenced by choosing the Beaglebone over the fledgling Pi.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top