Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2020 4:20:45 PM EDT
I'm looking to get advice since I have never hunted anything that walks on all fours and I have a hog problem on my property.

So buying the wife a 4 inch 357 mag wheel gun to carry around the property as with how thick the brush is a rifle right know is not the answer maybe after I clear the brush it might be. Also, the wife expressed that she much rather carry the pistol than a rifle right now.

Anyway, I'm looking to train her with 158gr lead cowboy loads powder is going to be trail boss. Yet for her carry rounds I was thinking solid brass.

Brass would be in a 38 spl load. Would that work on a hog? Do I need to go up to the 357 mag loads? We all know that the more FPS the better but I want to keep this to a point that she is not scared to shoot it if she needs to!

I want her to enjoy shooting her wheel gun yet not feel she has a BB gun when she needs to take a hog if she does.

I'd like advice! After all, this is the gun and bullets, my wife and kids are going to carry not me! We all worry more about the people we love than ourselves!

Just looking for advice if the brass bullets are worth it even at 38 spl loads or should I stick with the lead?
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had good results with 158 Grain Hornady XTP bullets over a stout load of H110. It will drop hogs with authority and is not too blast when shooting a pig. I doubt your wife would be bothered by such a load and she would be well armed for anything else she is likely to encounter.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds light to me, but I have never shot a hog.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#3]
This is what I carry, I’ve never actually used it.

When I could have used it, I had my rifle on me as well.  Never occurred to me to test them out.  

Link Posted: 11/8/2020 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Surely a moderate .357 load of hard cast?
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're wife is going to be pulling the 357 out to shoot at a Hog she isn't going to notice the recoil or the sound.  For carry rounds I would look at either a 180gr cast or jacketed.  They will penetrate deeper than the 158gr bullets.  I would push them as hard as I could safely.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a glock 19 with speer gold dot +p 124 grain. I have killed a shit ton of pigs with it.  Its all about shot placement and being confident in your equipment, you will never buy something that will get you to the promise land. "Kill Your Idol" is something i have to tell customers all the time so they don't get disapointed. If its a pistol you like and you know how to use it I say rock it as you will be confident and good with it.  A light on your gun will stop any charging animal at night.  They will get close, but they will stop.  I live in AK and GA 6 months out of the year so I have gotten to test this in both places.

I am a guide.  So I am always learning new stuff. Please don't take what I say as the end all be all. Being a guide is just a dude other people hire who have made a ton of mistakes so they won't on their hunt.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#7]
For mild .38 Spl loads, use these - https://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=415&category=20&secondary=9&keywords=

For .357 velocity loads, use these - https://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=416&category=5&secondary=10&keywords=

Yes, they look the same but the hardness of the lead is different and optimized for the speed of the cartridge.  If you are wondering if they will be effective, Google "Elmer Keith" and "Keith style semi-wadcutter".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top