Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2021 3:26:43 AM EDT
So during our blackout, I had several battery-powered lights and I miss the old oil lamps I use to own that my wife gave away for free because the company would not ship them fully! ( Please don't get me started! $300+ Dietz lanterns just left behind.) Also many other oil lanterns!

So looking to recuperate the lanterns oil and also I'm also interested in buying a propane one since 1lbs are cheap easy to stock up on like lamp oil.

For the lamp oil, I'm looking mostly for ones that are bright and last a long time! I don't remember where I bought my last ones but they did make their lamp and it was awesome love to get another one!

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:47:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought a brand new Dietz lantern online last year. It was less than $10, and came with a tiny funnel on a chain. I picked up a gallon of oil at tractor supply, if I remember correctly. I tried kerosene at first, but it smoked a little. It’s pretty bright & lasts forever with one fill up!
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:26:57 AM EDT
[#2]
For propane buy the lantern head and the metal tube that connects/mounts it to a 20# tank. The head can also be attached to the 1# cylinders. They used to sell the heads and metal tubes at walmart but I haven't checked for them lately since our scout troop went to led lanterns.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#3]
for a large fount Dietz, the Air Pilot is probably the most recommended large format 7/8" wick... I like my smaller Feuerhand as the Pyrex style globe gives a much cleaner light (less yellow tint), but the fount holds less oil.... my emergency oil is K1 kerosene and I don't really notice the smell, though it is probably a problem to someone more sensitive
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#5]
If you liked what you had, buy some more of what you had.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I really like these guys- I use a micro lighthouse, on my dogs collar at night (backpacking too).

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/lights/

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:41:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you liked what you had, buy some more of what you had.
View Quote

Can't remember the company I bought them from as they had there own lanterns also that where even better.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Can't remember the company I bought them from as they had there own lanterns also that where even better.
View Quote

W. T. Kirkman maybe?  They have their own line of lanterns.
https://lanternnet.com/
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:46:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I use 4 of these. Burns for 72 hours on 80 oz of fuel.  Dietz Jupiter lamp
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you don’t know the company or any more about the products you had, we aren’t going to know either.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#11]
If you need a wick for your lamp or heater, go to this site:  http://www.milesstair.com/

A ton of info there.  Miles is the GURU.  I'm a customer, but no financial interest.

See here for some general lamp info: http://www.milesstair.com/Old_lamp_care.html

I have a couple of oil-fueled wall-mounted lamps. They are high enough to be safe from kids and pets, and to cast light well. The trick with this type of lamp is to mount a moveable reflector which can direct light where it is most wanted. It's an add-on of surprising usefulness, and most folks without it don't know what they are missing.

If the reflector isn't an option, consider attaching some aluminum foil to the wall, to reflect light. More than one way to skin a cat.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:34:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you don’t know the company or any more about the products you had, we aren’t going to know either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So you one entity with the rest of AR15.com? I ask because you said WE as that your answering for everyone on AR15.com!

Look even before you posted someone posted what I was looking for! So negative you are colt!

Quoted:

Yes they are the ones I was looking for! Thanks! I had two of there lanterns and they where awesome I even did a side by side review with one of them and a Dietz back around 2007 or so. Light brightness and how long a tank of fuel really did last.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#13]
You can get castor oil or hemp oil in bulk, it burns nice and is cheaper than lamp oil.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So you one entity with the rest of AR15.com? I ask because you said WE as that your answering for everyone on AR15.com!

Look even before you posted someone posted what I was looking for! So negative you are colt!

Yes they are the ones I was looking for! Thanks! I had two of there lanterns and they where awesome I even did a side by side review with one of them and a Dietz back around 2007 or so. Light brightness and how long a tank of fuel really did last.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you don't know the company or any more about the products you had, we aren't going to know either.

Quoted:

tayous1, you've been around long enough to ignore folks that are snarky, and who seldom provide useful information.  We've all encountered them, and they are best ignored.  Usually, they are on the "radar screen" of some Mod or Staff, and they will be sanctioned sooner or later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top