Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2024 4:36:58 PM EDT
I know there are thousands, and can cost thousands. This weekend my family and I went to Roan Mt, not roughing it at all, but I found myself in the losing end of making a fireplace fire. I've always found making fires . . . not as easy as they make it look in TV. Yes, grew up in the country, no, haven't lit many fires, certainly none from what can be gathered in the forest floor and without a fantastic fire starter, such as a lighter and some accelerant.
That's neither here nor there, and I need to teach myself some basic Bushcraft, but what I realized at the fireplace was that even though there was plenty of kindling, I really needed, or felt I needed, to shave up some finer pieces of wood, or feather some wood.
I had a decent folding knife (AD 20.5), but I realized a fixed blade would be better. I have a Mora somewhere, but I'd like something more heavy duty, and heavy bladed for whacking/chopping. Maybe a 5-6, even 8", I don't know. Full tang, carbon, that keeps an edge but doesn't require diamond to bring it back.
Is there anything like this in the $50 range? I won't use it often, but I'd like to have it at hand when I need it.

What would you suggest for a very novice woodsman that doesn't need the a knife with the pedigree of a Winkler (or for you Sackett fans, a Tinker made knife).
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 4:46:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbatheredneck] [#1]
Mora Bushcraft is $49.99 from ragweed forge.

For $79, the sheath has a fire steel.

Much heavier knife than the $10 Mora's.

That said, the $10 Mora is the best deal on fixed blades ever, so don't discount it out of hand.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 4:53:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brawnydog] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:
Mora Bushcraft is $49.99 from ragweed forge.

For $79, the sheath has a fire steel.

Much heavier knife than the $10 Mora's.

That said, the $10 Mora is the best deal on fixed blades ever, so discount it out of hand.
View Quote
My wife gave me a fixed blade knife kit for Christmas. I finished it and put it up. Now you got me looking at what Ragweed has to offer.
*Sighs and pulls out credit card*
Looking hard at the Lauri-Leuku-175.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Condor Tool & Knife Hudson Bay Camp Knife | 1075 High Carbon Steel Fixed Blade Camping Knife | Hand Crafted Welted Leather Sheath | Full Tang Knife | Bushcraft Knife with 8.4in Blade | 5mm Thick |20.5oz https://a.co/d/5pIJ60e

Little bit more, but it's a pretty cool knife.

I want one.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#4]
For around that price - Mora Garberg.   Right now is 60 on Amazon for the stainless but I prefer the carbon steel for 68.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:24:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Buck has what you seek. MULTIPLE great options.

Ka-Bar as well. Cold Steel also has some nice ones.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#6]
ESEE-4
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Mountaineer82:
ESEE-4
View Quote

He said $50.

I recommend YouTube videos on fire starting and a good square spined knife with a fire steel.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have split wood with a Mora Companion, and have run fire steel down the blade side. No more sharpening needed than usual, but to be fair, this knife is also used for weeding the garden and anything else that comes up.

The Mora Garbergs are great, but there is some sort of Companion version with a square-ground spline and a fire steel too for less money if you want that.

Cold Steel SRK knives are pretty good for the price, Midwayusa has an orange-handled one for $40.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:08:32 PM EDT
[#9]
For cutting kindling, I suggest a hatchet if you aren't backpacking. Keep your knife sharp for other things.

Use a stick to hold the big piece vertical instead of your d#@kskinners.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:44:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#10]
Originally Posted By Brawnydog:
I know there are thousands, and can cost thousands. This weekend my family and I went to Roan Mt, not roughing it at all, but I found myself in the losing end of making a fireplace fire. I've always found making fires . . . not as easy as they make it look in TV. Yes, grew up in the country, no, haven't lit many fires, certainly none from what can be gathered in the forest floor and without a fantastic fire starter, such as a lighter and some accelerant.
That's neither here nor there, and I need to teach myself some basic Bushcraft, but what I realized at the fireplace was that even though there was plenty of kindling, I really needed, or felt I needed, to shave up some finer pieces of wood, or feather some wood.
I had a decent folding knife (AD 20.5), but I realized a fixed blade would be better. I have a Mora somewhere, but I'd like something more heavy duty, and heavy bladed for whacking/chopping. Maybe a 5-6, even 8", I don't know. Full tang, carbon, that keeps an edge but doesn't require diamond to bring it back.
Is there anything like this in the $50 range? I won't use it often, but I'd like to have it at hand when I need it.

What would you suggest for a very novice woodsman that doesn't need the a knife with the pedigree of a Winkler (or for you Sackett fans, a Tinker made knife).
View Quote
Cold Steel's SRK-C for $24 plus shipping:    

type Status report

description Access to the specified resource has been forbidden.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.68 (Ubuntu)

" target="_blank">https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025877994?pid=695540

SK-5 high carbon steel (decent for the money, not a super steel) and orange handle.  Smaller version of the very well-known and very reputable SRK.

CS Drop Forged Hunter knife; 52100 one piece knife, very tough, very sharp, ~$45 or so:  

type Status report

" target="_blank">https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019031365?pid=941889

And the original SRK, longer, bigger version of the SRK-C, same steel and handle type; right around $50 or so:  

type Status report

" target="_blank">https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022536882?pid=309353

Warning:  Sometimes (all the time for me) MidwayUSA links don't/won't work on Arfcom (Brownell's and Midway don't play well together).  

Good luck!

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#11]
For less than $50...

The Cold Steel SRK-C is a good choice as others has posted.  

A Mora blade of your choosing is probably the best bang for the buck if you're looking for a bushcraft purposed blade.  They work well for general camp tasks too.  I have several variations and other than the basic ones, or #1 my favorite is the Kansbol.  

Another one of my favorites is the Ontario Outdoor Fish n Game Fixed 4".  I have a few other Ontario knives that I enjoy but are above the $50 price point.  Who knows how long before the USA Ontario stuff dries up.

I could go on but as things are getting more expensive it's getting harder to stay under that $50 price point vs even 5~7 years ago.  I am a hunting/ camping/ bushcraft knife junkie and have way more makes and models than I realistically need.

Also, if car camping or not packing much if any distance use a hatchet or small axe for splitting kindling.  I usually bring a cheap one if it's going to be at a camp site and possibly used by anyone other than myself as i am protective of nice hatches and axes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:03:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Cold Steel Trail Hawk might work for you. Pull the head and toss the screw, clean up the handle and trim to 14-16", run a file inside the eye and buy the $5 OEM sheath. I've read they don't come with a painted head anymore so that's nice.

Different make here but this is an excellent demonstration on how versatile tomahawks are.
H and B Forge medium camp hawk

If you really want a knife both SRKs are a hell of a deal. IMO they still need some work.
-strip the blade and force a patina (have not done this yet)
-run a file inside the sheath where both the edge and spine are. The sheaths do dull the edge and I had one ding up the spine.
-I have 2 Compacts and 2 regulars, sheath retention is iffy at best. I'm not quite sure how to improve this.
-square up the spine with a file
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 5:50:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JLPettimoreIII] [#13]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I looked in my stash and have 2 suitable camp knives and a tomahawk type thing that I can use in a pinch. I'm getting to the point in life where I still like having new things, but like to use what I have instead of getting stuff that won't prove any more utilitarian.
One knife is a Mora, I believe carbon, the other is a knife kit my wife gave me. Pretty solid for what it is
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#16]
For me it's the Glock knife, straight back preferred over serrated.

Done everything with it.  Fire, shelter, you name it.  Have 2.  Love them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:

View Quote
I've looked at those, may have to get one just to get one. They are very inexpensive which kind of worries me. Maybe Glock feels bad knowing they way over charge for their pistols.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:50:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I've looked at those, may have to get one just to get one. They are very inexpensive which kind of worries me. Maybe Glock feels bad knowing they way over charge for their pistols.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:

I like the Glock field knife.  It is a bit more of a combat blade than a bushcraft blade, but it will do everything you need of a blade.  I have several and one rides on my battle belt setup.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:07:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#19]
DDP!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#20]
One knife is a Mora, I believe carbon
View Quote

Consider adding a saw (Bahco or Silky). I know we try to make a camp-knife do everything from chop a tree down to field dress a mouse, but outdoors blades are niche for a reason (as in, I don't believe in the one-knife theory).

A Mora will be an excellent tool with fire prep. Fire prep is vastly more important than chopping bulk wood for a big fire. You really don't need much more than wrist-sized wood to get a good bed of coals and hot enough to lay larger logs over the top and burn them into smaller pieces.

What a Mora can do is scrape trees for tinder, make fuzz stocks, split smaller pieces from bigger pieces. All my failures with fire was in that first and second stage of preparation; enough good tinder enough kindling from splinters to finger sized wood. An accelerant helps (natural like pitch or fat wood, or manufactured), but ultimately, keeping an ignition/ember going is where many fail. Patience is necessary, which is why many rednecks make fire with gasoline

A handsaw (Bahco/Silky 190 size) will help process wood into smaller pieces for kindling. If you're want a bigger recreational fire, a good bucksaw and axe will process larger rounds for a larger, and easier to manage fire. I have more knives than any sane man should have, but I wouldn't feel under-knifed with a Mora (have several of those too!).

I like the Mora Kansbol or the Cold Steel SRK for that price range. Condor has some good options in that price range as well.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

Consider adding a saw (Bahco or Silky). I know we try to make a camp-knife do everything from chop a tree down to field dress a mouse, but outdoors blades are niche for a reason (as in, I don't believe in the one-knife theory).

A Mora will be an excellent tool with fire prep. Fire prep is vastly more important than chopping bulk wood for a big fire. You really don't need much more than wrist-sized wood to get a good bed of coals and hot enough to lay larger logs over the top and burn them into smaller pieces.

What a Mora can do is scrape trees for tinder, make fuzz stocks, split smaller pieces from bigger pieces. All my failures with fire was in that first and second stage of preparation; enough good tinder enough kindling from splinters to finger sized wood. An accelerant helps (natural like pitch or fat wood, or manufactured), but ultimately, keeping an ignition/ember going is where many fail. Patience is necessary, which is why many rednecks make fire with gasoline

A handsaw (Bahco/Silky 190 size) will help process wood into smaller pieces for kindling. If you're want a bigger recreational fire, a good bucksaw and axe will process larger rounds for a larger, and easier to manage fire. I have more knives than any sane man should have, but I wouldn't feel under-knifed with a Mora (have several of those too!).

I like the Mora Kansbol or the Cold Steel SRK for that price range. Condor has some good options in that price range as well.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20210502_172141.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20210502_172141.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ROCK6:
One knife is a Mora, I believe carbon

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20210502_172141.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20210502_172141.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6

Took you long enough.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I have one of these, works well.
We Could NOT Destroy This $40 Knife!!! | Terävä Jääkäripuukko Destruction!!

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Buck has what you seek. MULTIPLE great options.

Ka-Bar as well. Cold Steel also has some nice ones.
View Quote

Ka-Bar or Cold Steel maybe but I priced Buck 105s ( I got in the 80's) and they are now $78 in resin and $160 for micarta . If Op wants something more substantial then I'd go with a nicer Mora for the target price range.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:30:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harv24] [#24]
Just bought a Jaarkariipuukho 110. will be here Friday.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:39:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Kabar camp knife is a good choice
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:48:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#26]
Originally Posted By Harv24:
Just bought a Jaarkariipuukho 110. will be here Friday.
View Quote

I have the 110 and the large Skrama 240. I haven't used the 110 as much I would like to, but it's a solid blade. Now, the Skrama is a very versatile monster of a blade

Let me add a few additional thoughts for the OP. Size is relative and often very personal. When talking about a camp knife or field knife (strictly for fixed blades), I like a belt knife with blades no longer than 5.5-6 inches. If on the belt, anything bigger can become a PITA if you're active, standing, sitting, squatting, sleeping, etc. That's just what I found as the limits for a good on-body field knife.

That said, if you want a chopper, I've only found most large knives, in the 8+inch blade range adequate enough in that category. Again, just my opinion based on my experiences. I love big blades, but I don't like to carry them on the belt, or at least very rarely (a Kukri or Skrama cross draw isn't too bad).

Can you chop with a shorter belt knife? Sure, but not much or for very long; they're just not efficient in that task category. I still think a blade in the range from 3.5-6 inches is the most versatile size for a field/camp belt knife, just understand its limitations. If I need to process larger wood, I will pack a larger chopper/axe in the pack and/or have a saw.

Now, can you do small knife tasks with a larger knife? Yes, not very efficiently, but it can be done. I gutted and scaled up some small hand-sized bream with a kukri, so I it's possible, but does require some practice as you're often holding the blade as a handle.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Czechers:

Ka-Bar or Cold Steel maybe but I priced Buck 105s ( I got in the 80's) and they are now $78 in resin and $160 for micarta . If Op wants something more substantial then I'd go with a nicer Mora for the target price range.
View Quote

Well any of the 100 series are kinda pricey these days, but you can't go by Buck's price on the site, vendors sell cheaper. I see 119's for around 60 bucks still on sale at wallyworld, and there are other models around the 50 dollar range. You can also get some discontinued models still new sometimes on ebay, I have a Buck Mesa that's been a superb campknife that I picked up around 35 bucks or so.

Just checked and found a used 105 like yours for 40 bucks on the 'bay.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:08:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#28]
Well Ontario is out of business now, but i'm still seeing a lot of good blades that meet the OP's specs for around his price range. Good 1095 steel, and even some of the Ranger series that features 5160 steel for that price range, I have both and they're great blades, they really nailed the heat treat on the 5160 models.

ETA: again, found on fleabay.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:04:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Well Ontario is out of business now, but i'm still seeing a lot of good blades that meet the OP's specs for around his price range. Good 1095 steel, and even some of the Ranger series that features 5160 steel for that price range, I have both and they're great blades, they really nailed the heat treat on the 5160 models.

View Quote
The Ontario Old Hickory Hunting knife was an outstanding value at $25 or so.  American made knife of 1095 steel (IRC) with a china-made sheath.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
The Ontario Old Hickory Hunting knife was an outstanding value at $25 or so.  American made knife of 1095 steel (IRC) with a china-made sheath.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Merlin:

More of a small camp - bushcraft style blade but I really like the
Ontario Outdoor Fish n Game Fixed 4 in Blade Wood Handle, Black, Model Number: 7024

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0853C6SPT?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#31]
saw this thread too late

you just missed a deal on the Cold Steel SRK full and compact size at Midway
they had free shipping AND another 25% off Cold Steel

I picked up Taiwan made, CPM 3V SRK in full and compact. Both came out to about $70 each
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:27:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DV8EDD] [#32]
for $50 I'd go with the Mora.  FPNI and all.

Personally i'm a sucker for my SOG Seal Pup.  Aus8 which isnt the best but it does sharpen easily on the fly.  It's been a totally bombproof knife, I've really beat on it for years and it has held up.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#33]
$50 is a pretty tight budget, and I don't really have much to add that hasn't been suggested already.  As long as you understand $50 is going to yield a compromise knife ...

+ Cold Steel SRK
+ Glock M81 or M83 Field Knife
+ Morakniv Mora Bushcraft Series

If you shop around you can find a ESEE-4 for about $85 with a sheath.  Even though I have Busse Combat knives, I actually use my ESEEs.  For the money, they're pretty hard to beat.

Within your $50 price range I might consider a Glock Field Knife ($30-35) AND Mora 4" Companion (around $22).  This combo would give you fine detail (like feather sticks for your fire making) with the Mora and some harder use (like batoning) with the Glock.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:
$50 is a pretty tight budget, and I don't really have much to add that hasn't been suggested already.  As long as you understand $50 is going to yield a compromise knife ...

+ Cold Steel SRK
+ Glock M81 or M83 Field Knife
+ Morakniv Mora Bushcraft Series

If you shop around you can find a ESEE-4 for about $85 with a sheath.  Even though I have Busse Combat knives, I actually use my ESEEs.  For the money, they're pretty hard to beat.

Within your $50 price range I might consider a Glock Field Knife ($30-35) AND Mora 4" Companion (around $22).  This combo would give you fine detail (like feather sticks for your fire making) with the Mora and some harder use (like batoning) with the Glock.

View Quote

Glock + Mora = Good combo.

While I probably wouldnt carry both together at the same time they are deffenaty worth having in ones inventory.  I have several of both!  
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#35]
If one is going to get a Glock knife- and I do recommend them- plan on getting a Kydex sheath. I got mine from Extreme Edge Custom Kydex. I think there are a couple other shops offering them. The stock Glock sheath is an embarrassment on an otherwise fantastic product.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:58:24 AM EDT
[#36]
You would be best served by a 4” Scandi ground knife and a small axe or machete (depending on your local vegetation) for the purposes you mentioned: processing wood. I would avoid anything flat ground/ they don’t work wood as well as scandi.

Large knives-while cool and fun to play with-are heavy on your belt or in a pack-and clumsy for most bushcraft tasks.

You’d be surprised how much punishment you can put a Mora Bushcraft through. $50 is really cheap. If that’s all you’re willing to spend, stick with Mora.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 7:06:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Alpinist:
You’d be surprised how much punishment you can put a Mora Bushcraft through. $50 is really cheap. If that’s all you’re willing to spend, stick with Mora.
View Quote

My recommendation on the Mora side would be the Kansbol, a slightly upgraded version of the Mora 2000. I have it on good intel that the Swedish Ranger School (similar to our SFQC) issues their students the Mora 2000. I worked in Afghanistan with a Swedish guy (of Lebanese descent believe it or not) who was an instructor for their Range School. We both liked knives and talked knives, they abused the shit out of those Moras, and he's never seen one fail during a class.

Scandi-grind is great with wood, but not always an optimum edge for other utility tasks. They'll work, but some of those zero-degree bevels can get damaged with hard use. Just something to be aware of.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 7:13:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Kershaw Camp 10 is a lot of blade for the money. It’s big, but it also had a good sheath that can be used in a number of ways. Can be had for under $60
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Just so you don't think I'm opposed to inexpensive Mora and other bushcraft knives

My all-time favorite is the simple #510 (both carbon and stainless).

The "Clipper" model that has the blade forced-patina is over 20 years old. I originally picked up a half-dozen when I introduced both my kids to fixed blade knives. I had a Kydex sheath made for both along with a fire steel loop. If they didn't take care of their blade, the rust on the carbon blade showed quite quickly. This is the knife they learned how to handle properly, techniques, sharpening, and maintenance. The one show is my son's, who's now a SWAT officer and mobilized Infantry 1LT...who's upgraded to a Winkler

My wife loves the Mora 2000 as a camp knife; she has her own in her camping kit.

The bottom Mora 1/0 is my dedicated backpacking knife. It's helped make many a fire; not needed, but very much an appreciated "comfort" item.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#40]
$25 each at Midway*USA*com:    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025877994?pid=695540

Buy two of them; One is None, Two is One.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#41]
I looked at my Mora, definitely carbon, but the spine needs some work to get a sharp 90 degree angle. The tomahawk is a Sog.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#42]
The Condor Terrasaur is pretty decent at $45ish, it's a deep carry sheath though and I had to open up the belt loop a bit to fit on a leather gun belt.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#43]
I didn’t know I had the same question, but I’ve found the answers very useful/informative.  Thanks for creating the thread OP and thank you to the contributing answers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top