Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2019 9:01:51 PM EDT
I was sitting around earlier loading up some ammo for my 6.5 creedmoor and I began to wonder whether anyone else hunts long range or not and by long range I mean 700-1200 yards.  Personally I enjoy Long range hunting and I find the technical side of it fascinating.

Some people I talk to don't care some love it and others vehemently oppose it.  I've actually had some guys start swearing at me and saying I have no business being in the woods or calling myself a hunter.  I don't want to start any arguments I just want to hear some of you guys thoughts on long range hunting because I genuinely don't understand why some people get so heated about it
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was sitting around earlier loading up some ammo for my 6.5 creedmoor and I began to wonder whether anyone else hunts long range or not and by long range I mean 700-1200 yards.  Personally I enjoy Long range hunting and I find the technical side of it fascinating.

Some people I talk to don't care some love it and others vehemently oppose it.  I've actually had some guys start swearing at me and saying I have no business being in the woods or calling myself a hunter.  I don't want to start any arguments I just want to hear some of you guys thoughts on long range hunting because I genuinely don't understand why some people get so heated about it
View Quote

I've shot a few woodchucks and deer over 400 yards, but it just doesn't have the essence of hunting for me.

I'd much rather be inside 50 yards. For dangerous game, inside 25.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#2]
It isn’t hunting, it’s sniping. A test of shooting skills and equipment for sure, but no test of woodsmanship or hunting skills.

Instead of sniping at game at those distances, try closing to fifty yards or less, thats a real challenge and takes skill.

Moreover, a small error at those ranges means wounded or lost game animals, even if the error is induced by a step by the target. As the Lord’s creatures invested with dominion over all animals, it is our duty to see that we minimize suffering and waste. Shooting at long ranges is antithetical to that duty.

If you wish to test your skills at those ranges, and any proficient shooter should, shoot steel or paper. Use smaller and smaller targets to increase the challenge and active targets if static targets get boring. But given the vital zone of a deer, for example, you are talking ,1.5 to 1 MOA, and in the real world, the paper or steel is a challenge.

ETA: Rodent makes this point - “For dangerous game, inside 25.” This is true. Dangerous game isn’t dangerous much beyond 25yds.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Over 300 isn’t hunting. To point is knowing your prey, if you’re 700+ yard away you haven’t done that and aren’t any better than the guy that sets up a feeder and blind 70 yards apart.  700-1200 is a good place to start your stalk, work in close using concealment, wind, light and craft or set up a hide and wait for them to come to you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I have pondered on this as well.  I think they are your tags to punch as long as no laws are broken and you can make a clean shot.

Not all that long ago I thought 300 yards was the same as 300 miles.  I have become quite involved with precision rifles and now often shoot matches in excess of 1100 yards.  The more I practice and train the closer those distant deer become.  The farthest shot I have ever taken at a deer was 200 yards.  Not because of a self imposed limit but simply because I haven't had a need or opportunity to try farther.

I have seen too many hunters who couldn't control their nerves.  I have seen even more hunters that didn't practice, had rifles a "gun shop" zeroed,  knew to hold a little high, etc..  If you don't have your shit together then don't practice shooting at living animals,  they are a gift to us and should be taken as quickly as we can make it happen.  If you are a skilled marksman that knows your kit and can read the wind AND you know you can make the shot, then I can not make up a line in the sand you can not shoot past.  Only you can say for sure what your skill level is.

Good luck, shoot straight,
MBanning
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Over 300 isn’t hunting. To point is knowing your prey, if you’re 700+ yard away you haven’t done that and aren’t any better than the guy that sets up a feeder and blind 70 yards apart.  700-1200 is a good place to start your stalk, work in close using concealment, wind, light and craft or set up a hide and wait for them to come to you.
View Quote
Ummm, no.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I enjoy it . Its not my primary way of hunting , but it is another option if I need it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#8]
It all depends on the quarry and SKILL..

My dad hunted Jefferson NF. They run into a guy in the 70s that had an 06 zeroed at 1k. They thought he was crazy. Later they heard a distant report on their right then they heard a deer tumbling down the hill on their right.

So the guy posted up across a valley and watched a specific trail. Every year he would fill his tag on that one spot. Obviously he was a great shot.

So my skill ain't that good and I have no place to shoot without driving hours. That being said, if I see a coyote, I don't care, I'd take a shot at it. But not a deer. I might try a pig.

Watch Long Range Pursuit on toutube. It's fascinating watching those guys do what they do.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#9]
edited~ussrangersm

Depending on the terrain and quarry, you may not get a shot less than 400m out here and elsewhere in the West.

This forum is a gold mine on the subject: https://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
edited ~ussrangersm

Depending on the terrain and quarry, you may not get a shot less than 400m out here and elsewhere in the West.

This forum is a gold mine on the subject: https://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/
View Quote
One of these days I'm going to take a trip outwest  so that I can really test my skills
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Let’s not get sidetracked~ussrangersm
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Most of PA's terrain isn't really conducive to true "long range" hunting....
That said, I have no qualms with a long shot. My personal "record" on the particular property I hunt (and now own a good chunk of) is 343 yards according to my old Garmin GPS.
Most of mine are MUCH closer (90 yard avg) but I'll usually drop at least 1 doe around 250yds each season.

Practice, know your gun, know your dope, have a good rangefinder, and use a load capable of delivering acceptable energy at the given range.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Most of PA's terrain isn't really conducive to true "long range" hunting....
That said, I have no qualms with a long shot. My personal "record" on the particular property I hunt (and now own a good chunk of) is 343 yards according to my old Garmin GPS.
Most of mine are MUCH closer (90 yard avg) but I'll usually drop at least 1 doe around 250yds each season.

Practice, know your gun, know your dope, have a good rangefinder, and use a load capable of delivering acceptable energy at the given range.
View Quote
The farthest shot I've seen taken in pa was a black bear at 1294 with a .338 RUM overtop of route 22 near Altoona. That day my uncle his brother and myself were driving along a game road watching the opposing ridge but 3 guys had set up in our usual spot so we weren't really trying to shoot and were just looking for deer
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Long range in these parts is anything over 200. I love shooting at varmints at long range but my longest deer kill was 250 or so. Partly because of the terrain limitations of where I hunt and partially because I just like to get closer.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
LOL..I hunt a place for moose where you will never get closer than 500 yards, and even that distance is a once in a blue moon happening...During the summer the bulls will move up into the mountains, specifically up onto the glaciers to get away from the mosquitos, they are so skittish that just sky lining yourself on a ridge is enough to send them running in the opposite direction...You want meat to fill the fridge, you learn to shoot at distance...neat thing is there's lots of big bulls because  of it..
As for shooting animals, I have seen more shitty shooters that have zero business shooting an animal at 5 yards as I have seen that shouldn't shoot at 500 yards....It all comes down to equipment and practice...The better it is, the more you do and the easier it is to actually make good shots when needed....
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I shoot long range and I hunt. When I hunt I try to get as close as possible to take the easiest shot possible. If I want to see how far I can hit a target I shoot steel or varmints. With that said I'm lucky enough to be able to shoot everyday including ELR  so I feel very confident at distance. If I'm hunting and I cant close the distance and the situation presents a shot I'm comfortable with and feel I have a very high hit probability I'll take it. I've never taken a shot on a critter I havent made countless times on steel.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Stalking in as fun and a good challenge.  But if you got the skills and are wanting meat in the freezer I have zero qualms about taking long shots within my comfort zone to provide a quick a death as possible for the animal.

Those vehemently opposed are using emotional reasoning for their opinions. I've hunted some places where a long shot is going to be your only choice.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I like both. Sneaking in the woods and almost stepping on them is pretty fun but so is watching them drop in the scope at longer than 400 yards. My farthest is 540 but that’s because the way the land is and the neighbors building more sheds.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#19]
My son shoots 1.5 " groups at 1000-1200 yards routinely
He would NEVER take a shot at those distances on a deer/ elk or similar. A Turkey? Sure why not
Pig or coyote? Sure why not.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He would NEVER take a shot at those distances on a deer/ elk or similar. A Turkey? Sure why not
View Quote
1.5" groups @ 1000  ??
Why shoot Turkeys @ 1000 and not Deer/Elk  ??
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
1.5 what?
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Our family farm has places to kill out to 700 yards. I have no problem with it. I know my capabilities with the proper rifle as well. You can read a deer to know how they will react and make the judgement call. My longest kill is 385 to date. 308 in McRee Chassis shooting 180 grain nosler. He took 2 steps and fell over. My wife's first kill was 265 with 308 AR. Dial the scope and squeeze. He fell over in 20 yards. Other than those 2 kills all of ours have been 200 and under.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Is it hunting?
- to a bow hunter? NO
- to an Artilleryman? Yes

by definition it meets the criteria of hunting.
- to a purist. It is called shooting.

when I was younger, I was all about I can smack him at 300+ yards. ( gives bragging rights as a marksmen). Now days, improvements in technology have increased the distance.

As was mentioned above. As a Bowhunter, my first kill was 7 yards.
I now try to use my knowledge of deer , and try to get my shots to no more than 30 yards.
just something about  being in a deer's "living room " and they have no idea you are there.
- now I try to plan where they will fall closest to the trail, so I don't have to drag them.

you will never please everyone.......... but if you can look yourself in the mirror, know that you followed the rules. Then you are good.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 5:30:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I find it satisfying to take game with longer shots, though I won't take a shot over 400 yards b/c I haven't ever done range time at those distances.  OTOH, it is pretty cool and exciting to get them close, especially when they're RIGHT THERE and you have to wait for a clear shot.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't really like it or others doing it at the ranges the OP is talking about.  400 to 500 sure if you practice know the range etc etc I think you can pretty much guarantee as ethical of a kill as possible but getting out into the 800 to 1k yard range I think there are just to many variables to make it ehtical. I mean you bullet is taking a couple of seconds to reach the target so movement from the animals is possible.  Also would never even consider using a 65 creedmor for that type of shot the guys that I know that shoot those ranges primarily use 338 lupuas and similar cartridges.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I find it satisfying to take game with longer shots, though I won't take a shot over 400 yards b/c I haven't ever done range time at those distances.  OTOH, it is pretty cool and exciting to get them close, especially when they're RIGHT THERE and you have to wait for a clear shot.
View Quote
But 400 isn't close to what the op is talking about.  To me long range hunting is 300 to 600 yards. Which I have no issue with at all provided the hunter can make those shots.  Just my opinion but at the ranges of 800 to 1200 yards that's just not hunting it's sniping.  Animals don't even run at those distances because it just so far away. They can't smell you either.  It's just not sporting for me.

But that's just my opinion.  The other day a friend stopped by my house he said there are 5 does standing out in your woods, I said yeah they are always there he said why don't you hunt them and if I needed meat or wanted to thin the herd because they were in the garden or something I would but there isn't any sport in it as these does live in my development and are almost tame, they will literally let you walk within 50 yards of them and if you try to get closer they just move off slowly.  The sport to me is beating their senses and getting a shot not making a tough shot at 1k or 80 with a crossbow.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 3:55:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't really like it or others doing it at the ranges the OP is talking about.  400 to 500 sure if you practice know the range etc etc I think you can pretty much guarantee as ethical of a kill as possible but getting out into the 800 to 1k yard range I think there are just to many variables to make it ehtical. I mean you bullet is taking a couple of seconds to reach the target so movement from the animals is possible.  Also would never even consider using a 65 creedmor for that type of shot the guys that I know that shoot those ranges primarily use 338 lupuas and similar cartridges.
View Quote
Time of flight for my load at 1000yards is 1.18 seconds...just saying...
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
But 400 isn't close to what the op is talking about.  To me long range hunting is 300 to 600 yards. Which I have no issue with at all provided the hunter can make those shots.  Just my opinion but at the ranges of 800 to 1200 yards that's just not hunting it's sniping.  Animals don't even run at those distances because it just so far away. They can't smell you either.  It's just not sporting for me.

But that's just my opinion.  The other day a friend stopped by my house he said there are 5 does standing out in your woods, I said yeah they are always there he said why don't you hunt them and if I needed meat or wanted to thin the herd because they were in the garden or something I would but there isn't any sport in it as these does live in my development and are almost tame, they will literally let you walk within 50 yards of them and if you try to get closer they just move off slowly.  The sport to me is beating their senses and getting a shot not making a tough shot at 1k or 80 with a crossbow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I got it, I was just trying to say that I can kind of get the excitement of nailing game at near the limits of ones abilities.  If you can hit reliably minute of deer vitals at X distance under Y conditions, I get it.  I also get what you're saying.  It's like the stand hunting over a feeder vs spot/stalking--like you said, the  definition of what is sporting, beyond what the law says,  is subjective.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They can't smell you either.  It's just not sporting for me.
View Quote
I hunt at a large ranch in Nebraska. The deer are not used to people. They do not associate human scent with danger. I have had several come within arms reach with the wind blowing directly at them. Is that sporting or not?
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 10:47:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I’m in GA and the furthest shots on our farm are a couple hundred yards.  The furthest I’ve ever shot an animal was a deer at about 180.

I’ve pretty much quit hunting fields since I get more excitement being close in.  I also hate stand hunting which is how EVERYONE does it here so maybe I’m just weird lol

I don’t really care as long as you’re being legal, but for me I enjoy outwitting the animal by scent control, positioning, and holding still.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Distance does not dictate ethics.
A skilled long range shooter with a precision rifle at 500 yards is far more ethical than a mediocre archer at 70 yards, or a mediocre shooter with an iron sight 30-30 at 175.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm not a real long range hunter but living out here in the West it's not uncommon to have to take shots at 400+yds.  I've taken shots of over 500yds on coyote and on prairie dogs.

I shot an Antelope at just shy of 500yds a few years back.  I couldn't get any closer as the Antelope were out in a field of short grass.  It was the second week of the hunt and they were super skittish. I crawled on my hands and knees as far as I could before I had a few doe stand up and alerted the herd.  At that point I had to take a kneeling shot because I didn't have time to sit.  

I've known guys who are very accomplished long range shooters.  I've shot quite a bit with one and he was good out to 1500yds with his rifle.  He botched a shot on a 350+ bull elk and it ran off and was shot by someone else.    

I would much prefer to close the distance as much as possible to avoid making a bad shot and having the animal run off to be taken by another hunter or have it disappear somewhere and no one finds it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 7:03:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#34]
I don’t care who you are, you don’t get the same feeling from shooting an animal at 700 yards than you would at 7 yards.

You can try and justify it, but there’s few things worse than tracking a wounded animal shot somewhere.

I owe it to the animal to take out as many uncontrollable variables as I can, not add them and call it “hunting”.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 9:15:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

i’ll fix it for you, You do what works for you... I find it quite satisfying to shoot long distances.  But then again I practice at it, I know some people that complain about bow hunters because they think it’s unethical, Due to the fact that you can have a better chance of wounding them.
View Quote

Is there a lot of long range hunting in Wisconsin?
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have fields that I can shoot 700-800 yards...
View Quote

Very cool.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#39]
I have the same sentiment as others here. The furthest shot I would take is about 400m but most of the shots I take are about 60 to 100m.

We will see when I move to AK if that changes but for now I'll limit myself to 400m.

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

We have a lot of soy bean and corn fields in the state...Some of them are pretty impressive
View Quote

I've been through there twice but havent got to spend much time there. Always liked what I saw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top