Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2019 6:38:51 PM EDT
I live in Montgomery Co, PA and saw two WAWA's that not offer ethanol free fuel.  It's a blue handle and I'm very happy to see this, as the two ethanol free gas stations are a lot further to get to for me.  This fuel isn't at all WAWA locations, but I''ll be looking for them from now on.

The ethanol free fuel price was .35 cents more a gallon, but it makes my FJ run so much better.  I"m going to be buying this for my lawn mower and other equipment.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Address please
Each carb rebuild kit is 15.00 to 30.00 each.
I will travel
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Where at? I am in central MontCo.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#3]
My local Shell station sells ethanol free gas, but it's a buck more a gallon
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:55:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm lucky I have a station close by to get it.

Makes all my small engines purr vs. choking on the ethanol crap.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:57:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw one recently that had Rec90, the 3 grades of E10, and E85 all on one pump. Can't recall where exactly but it was near Fredericksburg, VA.

Royal Farms sells Rec90 here as well. Their fried chicken is great too.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:21:06 AM EDT
[#7]
The Wawa @ Hamilton and Cedar Crest in Allentown has 89 octane Ethanol Free. I had huge problems with my classic 911 this summer, I am trying to never use ethanol in it again. 89 is ok in that car for street use.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:00:54 AM EDT
[#8]
There is no official standard in at least most places on fuel pump handle colors. In my area, most of the blue handle pumps are E15. Diesel is green and E85 is yellow.

All my big and small engines love ethanol gas so I use regular 87 octane E10.

If the ethanol bogeyman scares you don't pay attention to the color of the handle....pay attention to what the pump says it contains.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 12:31:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where at? I am in central MontCo.
View Quote
Pure-Gas.org
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 1:10:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Several WAWA in FL sell ETH free btw.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#11]
What's the advantage of e-free fuel other than more BTU's per gallon -that you pay a premium for???

We haven't found any...

Except avoiding potential fuel gasket/seal damage for antiquated engines that haven't been updated.

Certainly when alcohol evaporates it doesn't leave varnish or sludge-like deposits behind.

I do wonder if alcohol can react in some way with silica or quartz particles [a component of dust that's always blowing around and suspended in air] to form a congealing of the particles [possibly by an electric differential potential at the molecular level] and they appear not possible to dissolve with common carb cleaning solvents.

However this is pure speculation from observing [and repairing] silica [? ] making Honda EU2000i genny carbs fail, and is eliminated by adding a quality in-line filter after the fuel pump.

At the same time, particles of silica or quartz dust remain at the bottom of the tank, and are clearly visible.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My local Shell station sells ethanol free gas, but it's a buck more a gallon
View Quote
Last time I checked, it was quite a bit more locally
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:41:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What's the advantage of e-free fuel other than more BTU's per gallon -that you pay a premium for???

We haven't found any...

Except avoiding potential fuel gasket/seal damage for antiquated engines that haven't been updated.

Certainly when alcohol evaporates it doesn't leave varnish or sludge-like deposits behind.

I do wonder if alcohol can react in some way with silica or quartz particles [a component of dust that's always blowing around and suspended in air] to form a congealing of the particles [possibly by an electric differential potential at the molecular level] and they appear not possible to dissolve with common carb cleaning solvents.

However this is pure speculation from observing [and repairing] silica [? ] making Honda EU2000i genny carbs fail, and is eliminated by adding a quality in-line filter after the fuel pump.

At the same time, particles of silica or quartz dust remain at the bottom of the tank, and are clearly visible.
View Quote
Biggest advantage I've seen is that it avoids ethanol's propensity for absorbing moisture - sometimes to the point of forming water pockets in the gas.

Lots of factors in play:

1. Length of gas storage - Obviously, the longer you store it, the longer it has an opportunity to absorb water
2. Air tightness of the storage container
3. Average humidity of the storage environment - If you live in a desert, it's less of a concern than if you live on the coast or in a tropic rain forest
4. Initial quality of the gasoline (which often contains quite bit of water, right out of the pump)

Generally, less water in your gas is better - and omitting ethanol helps in that regard.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:01:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Biggest advantage I've seen is that it avoids ethanol's propensity for absorbing moisture - sometimes to the point of forming water pockets in the gas.
View Quote
But realistically how often does that actually happen? I live in the midwest, a humid sauna in the summer and lots of rain in the winter/spring. I hear lots of people talk about it but very few have ever actually experienced it and posted proof.

It has happened to me only 1 time. It was with an old log splitter left in the rain uncovered for months. The engine was an old Briggs; the kind that has a gas cap with a hole in it for a vent. But because I keep E10 on hand the solution didn't involve draining the water from the tank. I just poured fresh fuel in and the ethanol absorbed the water at the bottom and it fired right up.

As an alternative anecdote, my cheap generator sat with the same half tank of gas in it for 6 years. Vented tank, stored in a shed in same humid climate. Why so long? Well, life happened and I was blessed with a 6 year span between power outages that required a generator. The next time it was needed that puppy fired right up with that nasty old ethanol gas in it from 6 yrs before. How can that be? The internet told me the devil's gas goes bad in a matter of weeks when left exposed...
Top Top