Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2020 4:32:02 PM EDT
I've seen this mentioned in passing in a couple of threads but it deserves it's own so it's easy to find.  If you comment, PLEASE INCLUDE A CREDIBLE SOURCE that states effectiveness against a coronavirus, even if it's not the 2019 edition.

Some good overview articles I've found:

Human Coronaviruses: Insights into Environmental Resistance and Its Influence on the Development of New Antiseptic Strategies

Bleach (Sodium hypochlorite) needs to be a strong enough concentration. <1% strength didn't work.

Another important point revealed by this study is the inefficiency of bleach, a widely used disinfectant, when applied at the 1:100 (0.06%) use-dilution prescribed by the manufacturer. Sattar et al., whose results are recorded in Table 2, have found higher reductions of HCoV 229E viral titers with concentrations of hypochlorite greater than the one tested here.
View Quote
Quats are not effective by themselves

Products only based on quaternary ammoniums or phenolic compounds should be avoided. Some largely used antiseptics-disinfectants such as ethanol or bleach show a significant activity on the HCoVs. However, some critical parameters should be considered, especially in the case of chlorine-derived compounds, such as the presence of organic materials that could prevent their antiseptic activity, or their dose-dependent effect on the HCoVs. The povidone-iodine or the chlorhexidine, when associated to ethanol and/or cetrimide, could be recommended when there is a risk of HCoVs contamination, contrary to another widely used antiseptic, the hexamidine.
View Quote
Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and its inactivation with biocidal agents

efficiently inactivated by surface disinfection procedures with 62-71% ethanol, 0.5% hydrogen peroxide or 0.1% sodium hypochlorite within 1 minute.
View Quote
Another positive result with bleach and 70% alcohol.

Efficacy of various disinfectants against SARS coronavirus

All four alcohol-based hand rubs led to inactivation of SARS-CoV to below the limit of detection (RF=4.3, SD 0.5 to =5.5, SD 0.5), irrespective of the presence and type of organic load, within 30 s (Table I). The three surface disinfectants also inactivated SARS-CoV to below the limit of detection (RF=3.8, SD 0.7 to =6.1, SD 0.4) within 30 min. The same efficacy was seen with the instrument disinfectant at concentrations of 2% (60 min), 3% (30 min) and 4% (15 min), regardless of the type of organic load (Table I). The mean RF with the instrument disinfectant was =3.3, SD 0.5, which is nearly tenfold below the results of the other disinfectants, due to initial virus titre which was tenfold lower.
View Quote
Another good result for alcohol handrubs. The commercial disinfectants listed here aren't ones I've heard of.

Interim List of Household Products and Active Ingredients for Disinfection of Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

Recommends Clorox (Alkyl dimenthylbenzyl ammonium chloride), Simple Green and bleach in the right strengths.

70% isopropyl alcohol is better than 99% alcohol. The water improves the way the alcohol penetrates and kills viruses outer coatings.

Why Is 70% Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) a Better Disinfectant than 99% Isopropanol, and What Is IPA Used For?

Alcohol based hand sanitizers also work well according to "Efficacy of various disinfectants against SARS coronavirus".

What doesn't work as well?

Benzethonium Chloride, commonly known as a 'quat' for quaternary ammonium compound. This is the active ingredient in Wet Ones hand sanitizer towels which I have been using. It has been reported as less effective against coronaviruses by one source.

Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and its inactivation with biocidal agents

Other biocidal agents such as 0.05-0.2% benzalkonium chloride or 0.02% chlorhexidine digluconate are less effective.
View Quote
Stay safe!
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Bleach (Sodium hypochlorite) needs to be a strong enough concentration. <1% strength didn't work.
View Quote
In a minute's time.  No way anything is growing with prolonged contact with 0.1% bleach.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I've read, cow piss seems to work well.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:49:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The links appear to contradict each other.

The Singapore NEA report you linked specifcally calls out quats/BZK as effective,
and half their recommended product list is quats.

It'd be nice to know what "less effective" really means in this context, but the report doesn't expand on that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Exactly what surface are you trying to disinfect?  Is this surface in your home? Your work?  What are you trying to accomplish?
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Lysol?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The links appear to contradict each other.

The Singapore NEA report you linked specifcally calls out quats/BZK as effective, and half their recommended product list is quats.

It'd be nice to know what "less effective" really means in this context, but the report doesn't expand on that.
View Quote
Yes, I noticed that there were quats listed in the Singapore document. My guess is they didn't do any testing on them. Also some of those products also contain bleach.

The "less effective" quats is a reference to the results shown in Table 2 in Sattar et al I think.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Exactly what surface are you trying to disinfect?  Is this surface in your home? Your work?  What are you trying to accomplish?
View Quote
Disinfection of people and surfaces at home.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So you plan to bleach people?

And why do you need to disinfect surfaces in your home relating to coronavirus?  Do you have someone that was recently in China in your home?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Use a 10% bleach solution on surfaces, use Hibiclens on people.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:54:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lysol?
View Quote
Does Lysol kill the Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)?
Specific Lysol products have demonstrated effectiveness against viruses similar to 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) on hard, non-porous surfaces. In accordance with the EPA Viral Emerging Pathogen Policy, the following Lysol products can be used against 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) when used in accordance with the directions for use.

• Lysol® Disinfectant Spray EPA #777-99
• Lysol® Disinfectant Spray Max Cover Mist #777-127
• Lysol® Multi-Surface Cleaner Pourable EPA #777-89
• Lysol® Multi-Purpose Cleaner with Hydrogen Peroxide EPA #777-126
• Lysol® Multi-Purpose Cleaner with Bleach EPA #777-83
• Lysol® Power Bathroom Cleaner EPA #675-55
• Lysol® Power Foam Bathroom Cleaner EPA #777-71
• Lysol® Power Toilet Bowl Cleaner EPA #777-81
• Lysol® Toilet Bowl Cleaner with Bleach EPA #777-102

Please refer to the CDC website at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/ for additional information.

https://www.lysol.com/healthy-home/understanding-coronavirus/
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:59:50 AM EDT
[#12]
NIH on alcohol hand sanitizers

Most alcohol-based hand antiseptics contain isopropanol, ethanol, n-propanol, or a combination of 2 of these products. The antimicrobial activity of alcohols can be attributed to their ability to denature and coagulate proteins. The microorganism’s cells are then lysed, and their cellular metabolism is disrupted. Alcohol solutions containing 60% to 95% alcohol are most effective. Notably, higher concentrations are less potent because proteins are not denatured easily in the absence of water. Alcohol concentrations in antiseptic hand rubs are often expressed as percent by volume, but sometimes as percent by weight.

Alcohols such as ethanol are well-known antimicrobial agents and were first recommended for the treatment of hands in 1888. The highest antimicrobial efficacy can be achieved with ethanol (60% to 85%), isopropanol (60% to 80%), and n-propanol (60% to 80%). The activity is broad and immediate. Ethanol, the most common alcohol ingredient, appears to be the most effective against viruses; whereas, the propanols have a better bactericidal activity than ethanol. None of the alcohols has shown a potential for acquired bacterial resistance. The combination of alcohols may have a synergistic effect. The concentration of alcohol does change the efficacy with one study showing a hand rub with 85% ethanol being significantly better at reducing bacterial populations compared to concentrations of 60% to 62%. ABHS also often contain humectants, like glycerin, which help prevent skin dryness, and emollients or moisturizers, like aloe vera, which help replace some of the water that is stripped by the alcohol.[4][5]

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), alcohols have excellent in vitro germicidal activity against gram-positive and gram-negative vegetative bacteria, including multidrug-resistant pathogens (MRSA, VRE), Mycobacterium tuberculosis, HIV, influenza virus, RSV, vaccinia, and hepatitis B and C viruses.

ABHS are tremendously effective in preventing the spread of the seasonal flu, H1N1, URI, and other viral-based and bacterial-based diseases. Ethanol hand sanitizers were significantly more effective than hand washing with soap and water for removal of detectable rhinovirus, the most frequent cause of the common cold, from hands. One concern is that the antimicrobial effect of ABHS is very short lived. The addition of organic acids to the ethanol provided residual virucidal activity that persisted for at least 4 hours.

A study published in 2017 in the Journal of Infectious Diseases evaluated the virucidal activity of ABHS against re-emerging viral pathogens, such as Ebola virus, Zika virus (ZIKV), severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV), and Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) and determined that they and other enveloped viruses could be efficiently inactivated by both WHO formulations I and II (ethanol-based and isopropanol-based respectively). This further supports the use of ABHS in healthcare systems and viral outbreak situations.

According to the CDC, alcohol-based hand sanitizers are not effective against Cryptosporidium.

Studies have demonstrated that ABHS are often ineffective against non-enveloped viruses, including norovirus.
However, ethanol-based hand rubs have been effective against norovirus surrogates even at lower concentrations, when different types of acids are added to the hand rub. Also, the efficacy of alcohol-based hand rubs against noroviruses varies with type and concentration of alcohol in the formulation. WHO experts still do recommend the use of alcohol-based hand rubs during outbreaks of noroviral gastroenteritis.

There are exceptions regarding alcohol-based hand rub in vivo inactivity against non-enveloped viruses. Studies have found that alcohol sanitizers do reduce the infectivity titers of 3 non-enveloped viruses (rotavirus, adenovirus, and rhinovirus) and in higher concentrations of hepatitis A and enteroviruses.

A recent review found that ethanol at 80% is unlikely to sufficiently destroy poliovirus, polyomavirus, calicivirus (FCV), hepatitis A virus (HAV) and foot-and-mouth disease virus (FMDV). However, at 95%, the spectrum of virucidal activity of ethanol covers the majority of clinically relevant viruses. Additional acids can substantially improve the virucidal activity of ethanol at lower concentrations against, e.g., poliovirus, polyomavirus, FCV, and FMDV although some viruses like HAV may still be too resistant. The issue is the tolerability of ABHS at higher alcohol concentrations.

Technique
Efficacy is also very dependent on the technique of application of the alcohol hand sanitizer. One must apply the product to the palm and rub the product all over the surfaces of both hands until they are dry. There have been several studies comparing the amount needed to be effective (2.4 to 3 mL is recommended) and application time required to achieve hand disinfection (25 to 30 seconds).

Another study found that high-quality hygienic hand disinfection is not possible within 15 seconds and that a 30-second application time of ABHS is recommended. Thirty seconds is a long time to wait before proceeding with the activity one was setting out to do after disinfection, in fact, about the same time as washing with soap and water. The study also compared techniques of applying the alcohol rub, including a 6-step method, and found that “responsible application” was adequate, as long as people are made aware that they are responsible for covering their entire hands during hygienic hand disinfection
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Not a technical thing, but an observed thing.

I have a rain catchment system at my hunting camp.  Basic gutter into rain barrels.   I dump bleach into the barrels occasionally to kill off the nasty stuff.

From this water I also have a shower hooked up.   If you shower with bleach water it seems to dry out your skin in a big way.

Might want to get some moisturizer also.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Assuming your M15 is exposed to biological contaminates, such as 2019 nCoV, what would be the best chemical to use to disinfect and sterilize it that would not compromise the protection integrity of the mask? A spray down with Lysol? Clorox wipes? A complete submersion (for a specified amount of time) in a water/bleach mix?
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Assuming your M15 is exposed to biological contaminates, such as 2019 nCoV, what would be the best chemical to use to disinfect and sterilize it that would not compromise the protection integrity of the mask? A spray down with Lysol? Clorox wipes? A complete submersion (for a specified amount of time) in a water/bleach mix?
View Quote
That's a really good question, I have a couple of Mestel and Mira masks but the booklets that come with them don't discuss a disinfection protocol AFAIK.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#16]
@Boatswain

I couldn’t find any full face respirators but I have several Israeli M15 masks that I’ll be using should it come to that. I asked this question in another thread and the answer I got was warm soapy water. I can see that for bacterial contamination (use a antibacterial soap) but not for viral contamination. Still searching for answers. I’ll update this thread if I find anything.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#17]
@Boatswain and anyone else with questions on cleaning/disinfecting a respirator. I found this on OSHA's website:

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1910/1910.134AppB2

Appendix B-2 to  1910.134: Respirator Cleaning Procedures (Mandatory)

These procedures are provided for employer use when cleaning respirators. They are general in nature, and the employer as an alternative may use the cleaning recommendations provided by the manufacturer of the respirators used by their employees, provided such procedures are as effective as those listed here in Appendix B- 2. Equivalent effectiveness simply means that the procedures used must accomplish the objectives set forth in Appendix B-2, i.e., must ensure that the respirator is properly cleaned and disinfected in a manner that prevents damage to the respirator and does not cause harm to the user.

I. Procedures for Cleaning Respirators

A. Remove filters, cartridges, or canisters. Disassemble facepieces by removing speaking diaphragms, demand and pressure- demand valve assemblies, hoses, or any components recommended by the manufacturer. Discard or repair any defective parts.

B. Wash components in warm (43 deg. C [110 deg. F] maximum) water with a mild detergent or with a cleaner recommended by the manufacturer. A stiff bristle (not wire) brush may be used to facilitate the removal of dirt.

C. Rinse components thoroughly in clean, warm (43 deg. C [110 deg. F] maximum), preferably running water. Drain.

D. When the cleaner used does not contain a disinfecting agent, respirator components should be immersed for two minutes in one of the following:

1. Hypochlorite solution (50 ppm of chlorine) made by adding approximately one milliliter of laundry bleach to one liter of water at 43 deg. C (110 deg. F); or,

2. Aqueous solution of iodine (50 ppm iodine) made by adding approximately 0.8 milliliters of tincture of iodine (6-8 grams ammonium and/or potassium iodide/100 cc of 45% alcohol) to one liter of water at 43 deg. C (110 deg. F); or,

3. Other commercially available cleansers of equivalent disinfectant quality when used as directed, if their use is recommended or approved by the respirator manufacturer.

E. Rinse components thoroughly in clean, warm (43 deg. C [110 deg. F] maximum), preferably running water. Drain. The importance of thorough rinsing cannot be overemphasized. Detergents or disinfectants that dry on facepieces may result in dermatitis. In addition, some disinfectants may cause deterioration of rubber or corrosion of metal parts if not completely removed.

F. Components should be hand-dried with a clean lint-free cloth or air-dried.

G. Reassemble facepiece, replacing filters, cartridges, and canisters where necessary.

H. Test the respirator to ensure that all components work properly.

[63 FR 1152, Jan. 8, 1998]
View Quote
I found this on 3M's website:

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/473937O/3mtm-cleaning-reusable-respirators.pdf

Cleaning is recommended after each use. 3MTM Respirator Cleaning Wipes 504 may be used as an interim method in the cleaning schedule for individu- ally assigned respirators, but this should not be the only method in place. During fit testing, these wipes may also be used to clean masks between em- ployees being tested. However, respi- rators must be thoroughly cleaned at the end of each day, using these procedures:

1. Remove cartridges and filters.

2. Clean facepiece (excluding filters) by immersing in warm cleaning solution, the water temperature should not exceed 50o C, and scrub with soft brush until clean. Add neutral detergent if necessary. Do not use cleaners containing lanolin or other oils.

3. Disinfect the facepiece by soaking in a solution of quaternary ammonia disinfectant or dilute sodium hy- pochlorite (30 mL household bleach in 7.5 L of water), or another suit- able disinfectant.

4. Rinse in fresh, warm water and air dry in a clean non-contaminated area.

5. Inspect the respirator components prior to reassembly. A respirator with any damaged or deteriorated components must be repaired or discarded.

6. Store the clean respirator away from contaminated areas when not in use.

NOTE: The above information is also outlined in the users instructions. Additionally, see specific product user in- structions packaged with each respirator facepiece for additional information.
View Quote
Another great piece of documentation I found seems to be a field manual for the M40A1 gas mask. It has a lot of good info so I'll link it but not quote it:

https://www.fortbraggsurplus.us/v/vspfiles/assets/images/m40a1_gas_mask_manual.pdf
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#18]
If hand sanitizer becomes scarce in your area, you might be able to make some yourself assuming you can get these items listed in this wiki:

Wikihow make your own hand sanitizer
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:49:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Question for the smart people.  If I take a homer bucket and mix up 4 gallons of 1:10 bleach solution, how long will it be good for? Does the bleach evap out? What if the bucket is covered?  The idea is to drop in items like facemask/goggles into the bucket multiple times to disinfect over the course of days or weeks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#20]
When our puppy contracted Parvo we where told, and research confirmed it was extremely hard to kill.  A bleach water mix of 1 to 10 is about the only thing to do it.  Recommended saturation time was ten minutes.  This ratio will kill just about anything with that saturation time.  Storage time after mixing no longer than 24 hours.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Question for the smart people.  If I take a homer bucket and mix up 4 gallons of 1:10 bleach solution, how long will it be good for? Does the bleach evap out? What if the bucket is covered?  The idea is to drop in items like facemask/goggles into the bucket multiple times to disinfect over the course of days or weeks.
View Quote
According to Clorox, undiluted household bleach has a shelf life of six months to one year from the date of manufacture, after which bleach degrades at a rate of 20% each year until totally degraded to salt and water, and a 1:10 bleach solution has a shelf life of 24 hours.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:10:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

According to Clorox, undiluted household bleach has a shelf life of six months to one year from the date of manufacture, after which bleach degrades at a rate of 20% each year until totally degraded to salt and water, and a 1:10 bleach solution has a shelf life of 24 hours.
View Quote
Thank you for the information.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:27:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Sidekick wipes from Striker work well.
And Virex solution.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:59:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Our CBRN training recommended wiping down masks/equipment with a 5% bleach solution for biological decon, a 0.5% bleach solution for wiping down personnel/causalities.

Some light bed time reading:
https://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/borden/FileDownloadpublic.aspx?docid=fff442d0-f660-46d9-8a25-729db9d03095
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:25:33 PM EDT
[#26]
@Seabee_Mech

Thank you for the link. Am definitely going to read it this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I wanted to bump this thread since the virus is hitting main stream news outlets now. Is 70% Isopropyl still the "go to" for decon of items such as gloves etc? I have to dig up more info on cleaning P100 filters if it gets to that point.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:59:25 AM EDT
[#28]
My SO wants to know how to bring up the percentage of alcohol in Dollar ? 50% alcohol.

She has Walmart 91% alcohol.

Incidentally, the Dollar alcohol is in an 8 oz bottle. For a dollar.

She doesn't know what the W-M 91% cost.

H-D has denatured alcohol [ethyl] in one gallon cans for abt $16.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:29:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My SO wants to know how to bring up the percentage of alcohol in Dollar ? 50% alcohol.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If you mix 50% and 91% you'd have ~70%.

91 is roughly the highest percentage of alcohol that is sanitizing, and 50 is roughly the very lowest. 70% is generally the most effective sanitizer.

No idea what effect the denaturing additive would have in the denatured alcohol.

Some of the reports above seem to say that ethanol is more effective than isopropyl, and that a slightly higher concentration might be better with ethanol.

Hydrogen peroxide is also reported to be effective in that first link. Peroxide and the alcohols are a lot easier to deal with and less damaging to everyday items than bleach, and apparently more effective than bleach as well.

Would be most interested to know what formulation they are talking about of an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that has 4 hours of residual virucidal activity.

Quoted:
Lysol?
Lysol is a phenolic which the one link says to avoid.

A problem that might come up and isn't trivial is that some of these products chemically interact to produce toxic chemical by-products. You really don't want bleach to interact with anything for the most part. Off the top of my head I'm not sure what other interactions might be hazardous. There are some reactions with the phenols but I can't think of what they are off the top of my head.

Quoted:
If the info in the OP is correct I'd probably pick hydrogen peroxide.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you mix 50% and 91% you'd have ~70%.

91 is roughly the highest percentage of alcohol that is sanitizing, and 50 is roughly the very lowest. 70% is generally the most effective sanitizer.

No idea what effect the denaturing additive would have in the denatured alcohol.

Some of the reports above seem to say that ethanol is more effective than isopropyl, and that a slightly higher concentration might be better with ethanol.

Hydrogen peroxide is also reported to be effective in that first link. Peroxide and the alcohols are a lot easier to deal with and less damaging to everyday items than bleach, and apparently more effective than bleach as well.

Would be most interested to know what formulation they are talking about of an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that has 4 hours of residual virucidal activity.

Lysol is a phenolic which the one link says to avoid.

A problem that might come up and isn't trivial is that some of these products chemically interact to produce toxic chemical by-products. You really don't want bleach to interact with anything for the most part. Off the top of my head I'm not sure what other interactions might be hazardous. There are some reactions with the phenols but I can't think of what they are off the top of my head.

If the info in the OP is correct I'd probably pick hydrogen peroxide.
View Quote
Thank you, I'll tell her to mix 50-50.

Also, mixing pool shock and sodium hypochlorite is IIRC, expl bad  ive.

"Would be most interested to know what formulation they are talking about of an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that has 4 hours of residual virucidal activity. "

So would I. I think we will see outlandish marketing claims for all sorts of stuff.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 12:41:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#32]
What about denatured alcohol? I imagine that would kill germs... and strip paint.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Soap and warm water?
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What about denatured alcohol? I imagine that would kill germs... and strip paint.
View Quote
Pure alcohols are not very effective sanitizers. From those reports it appears that ethanol at between 70 and 80 (maybe 85) percent would be good, so mix 4 to 1 with distilled water. I don't know what effect the denaturing agent would be. There is a reason why alcohol at the drug store is typically 70%.

Ethanol is one of the most effective and convenient sanitizers for covid19, one of the most effective things that gov could do is loosen all the restrictions on it as a temporary measure. Allow untaxed sales of 80% alcohol.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Betadine/povidone iodine and soap is supposed to be very effective against MERS CoV

Idk about this virus though. Alcohol, gloves, and hand sanitizer nowhere to be found but plenty of povidone iodine on the shelves locally.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How about UV lighting?
View Quote
UV pretty much kills everything
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 10:41:46 PM EDT
[#38]
While it's true that sufficient UV kills everything...

I *think* I remember reading that SARS was very UV sensitive, which is likely why it died out. Covid-19 is a derivative/mutation of SARS, so likely similar.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 12:19:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
While it's true that sufficient UV kills everything...

I *think* I remember reading that SARS was very UV sensitive, which is likely why it died out. Covid-19 is a derivative/mutation of SARS, so likely similar.
View Quote
You should check if your city uses UV filtration at their water plant. Mine does. ????
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 1:14:16 AM EDT
[#40]
https://www.samsclub.com/p/mmc-sanitizer-128-fl-oz/prod21041136?xid=plp_product_1_17

Is It Effective?

Member's Mark Commercial Sanitizer offers effective sanitizing that kills 99.99% of food service germs. The commercial kitchen sanitizer is EPA registered and approved for use on food contact surfaces. And you don't have to only use this product to clean kitchens, you can use this commercial sanitizer in schools, daycare centers, salons and even in your home. The sanitizer contains 200 parts-per-million (ppm) active quarts for use on food contact surfaces in 500 ppm hard water to protect against: E-coli, Campylobacter jejuni, E-coli 0157:H7, Klebsiella pnemoniae, Listeria monocytogenes, Salmonella enterica, Shigella sonneii, Staphylococcus aureus and Yersinia enterocolitica. The sanitizer also acts as a disinfectant against: human coronavirus, influenza A2, Hong Kong flu virus, norovirus-feline calicivirus and Trichophyton mentagrophytes (athlete's foot fungus). The no-rinse formula can be used on washable, hard, nonporous surfaces like dishes, glassware, eating utensils, kitchen equipment, counters, tables and chairs. The product is also suitable for any USDA-inspected food processing facilities or for federally inspected meat and poultry facilities.

A couple days ago, it was nearly untouched at my local Club while bleach, Lysol (and generic), hand sanitizer, and Clorox wipes (and generic) were completely out of stock.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top