Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2024 12:27:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lorazepam]
I had an older windows laptop that I screwed up by adding a bin file wrong, and would not boot up. It is not worth repair from a shop, and beyond my skills to figure out. I decided to try and run/install the andy's ham linux distribution on it and try it out.
Things went pretty well, I got the file, made a bootable memory stick with rufus, and got to the install page. It installed fine, right up to the moment it was asking me to reboot the computer to continue. Behind that window, several others popped up, and they were for errors. I could not move the reboot window out of the way to read them. My choices were to just power off, or click ok on the windows I could not read and reboot. I chose the latter, and now I am stuck.
I downloaded the file again from sourceforge, and I reloaded the bootable file again.
I powered on hitting f2, and changed the boot order so it would boot from the stick, but now get a verification failed (0x1a) security violation. I click ok, and I get the option to reboot or add a hash or key. I do not know what I am doing beyond this, as the options are to add things from choices I am clueless about.
I can when booting from the machine get to a screen that gives me the choice of *ubntu or advanced ubntu I can escape from there, and get to a command line gnu grub  gnu>
Any help with figuring this out would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
What are the laptop specs (CPU type and RAM)?

UEFI enabled?

I run several distros on i7-3700 and i7-7700 class laptops, desktops and so on. No issues.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#2]
It has a celeron N2830 2.1GHz dual core. 4g ram, 500g hd.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude, that's a user re-master of xubuntu, not really a distro, you're using somebody's home-baked linux. Not always a bad thing, but if you don't know enough to fix what's going on there, you'd be better served installing a major distro like Debian, and simply installing the programs you want after install.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#4]
The point of the program is to give novice users a "seamless" way to convert to linux with pre installed ham radio programs. It is somewhat popular.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I am figuring out really fast I should just stick to windows.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
The point of the program is to give novice users a "seamless" way to convert to linux with pre installed ham radio programs. It is somewhat popular.
View Quote

From your original post, it doesn't seem too "seamless", nor novice friendly.

People new to Linux should start with a major distro, and learn Linux first before adding a ton of hobby-specific programs.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

From your original post, it doesn't seem too "seamless", nor novice friendly.

People new to Linux should start with a major distro, and learn Linux first before adding a ton of hobby-specific programs.
View Quote

Asking for help with this is a form of learning. I would like to troubleshoot what I have.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you wipe windoze off the HD? Did you setup new partitioning? (Linux doesn't use the windoze filesystems) Did you set-up a swap partition? Are you using EFI with a boot partition or old school MBR?  Did you install GRUB?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I am guessing something didn't load correctly onto the stick, or was transferred from the stick improperly. If someone could help with the key or hash, I would appreciate it to see if the relaoded stick will work. It's ok if folks cannot do that, I understand. I guess I would be just as fucked if a standard distro did the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:05:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#10]
Did you wipe windoze off the HD? Did you setup new partitioning? (Linux doesn't use the windoze filesystems) Did you set-up a swap partition? Are you using EFI with a boot partition or old school MBR?  Did you install GRUB?
View Quote

If you didn't do any of the above, then no "key" or "hash" is going to magically fix it.

It's not just plug-and-play, it's a whole different type of OS, you need to learn a few things before just trying to dump linux on an HD that's not already set-up for Linux.

ETA: I mean this is all about Ham radio stuff right? Your issue is akin to me saying "hey i'm new to ham radio and I just bought a Baofeng but I can't get anybody to answer me, can't I just buy the radio and turn it on and start hamming? What do you mean "programming"? What do you mean "CHIRP"? What do you mean tests, manuals, licenses? Can't i just get a magic code and make it all work out-of-the-box?"
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:08:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scrum] [#11]
That's kind of like buying some kid's half wrecked fastnfurious-ized Honda Accord and complaining that it doesnt work as Honda advertised.

download the last stable, official release of a major (I like ubuntu but pick any major dist) for a clean install.  if you want to be extra sure in advance that it will work go through the support docs and make sure you have  drivers in that version for every component on your pc
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

MBR partition scheme
NFTS file system
ISO image mode idi not work on first try. I reloaded the file with DD image mode, and it worked.
The file has a script to wipe the drive, and install the file.
After failure, it gives me an option of :
*ubntu
ubuntu advanced features.
I can hit escape and it will take me to gnu grub with the command line grub>

When it tries to boot from the stick now, it gets a (0x1a) security violation, and directs me to:
continue boot
add a key
add a hash
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By scrum:
That's kind of like buying some kid's half wrecked fastnfurious-ized Honda Accord and complaining that it doesnt work as Honda advertised.

download the last stable, official release of a major (I like ubuntu but pick any major dist) for a clean install.  if you want to be extra sure in advance that it will work go through the support docs and make sure you have  drivers in that version for every component on your pc
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:18:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lorazepam] [#14]
Thanks for the help guys.
Just curious, what if I was loading a super official version of a distro, and the same thing happened? What advice would you give?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I had an older windows laptop that I screwed up by adding a bin file wrong, and would not boot up. It is not worth repair from a shop, and beyond my skills to figure out. I decided to try and run/install the andy's ham linux distribution on it and try it out.
Things went pretty well, I got the file, made a bootable memory stick with rufus, and got to the install page. It installed fine, right up to the moment it was asking me to reboot the computer to continue. Behind that window, several others popped up, and they were for errors. I could not move the reboot window out of the way to read them. My choices were to just power off, or click ok on the windows I could not read and reboot. I chose the latter, and now I am stuck.
I downloaded the file again from sourceforge, and I reloaded the bootable file again.
I powered on hitting f2, and changed the boot order so it would boot from the stick, but now get a verification failed (0x1a) security violation. I click ok, and I get the option to reboot or add a hash or key. I do not know what I am doing beyond this, as the options are to add things from choices I am clueless about.
I can when booting from the machine get to a screen that gives me the choice of *ubntu or advanced ubntu I can escape from there, and get to a command line gnu grub  gnu>
Any help with figuring this out would be appreciated.
View Quote

I googled the "verification failed 0x1a" thing and got this:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1456460/verification-failed-0x1a-security-violation-while-installing-ubuntu

Here's my understanding of what you typed:
You installed KB1OIQ's ubuntu distro which I will abbreviate to AHRL (good guy, met him at some hamfests!). When it was finished, you got some unknown errors.
You then immediately tried to reinstall from a freshly downloaded AHRL image, and booting from the new disk is giving you that security violation thing.
When you boot the system disk rather than the USB, you get a standard grub screen, but you've only pressed ESC on that which (as expected) drops you to a grub shell for debugging/manual booting.

If you are getting to grub when booting from the machine, it sounds like the install and secureboot is working fine for that installation at least that far.
I'm not seeing that you actually tried to boot that first ubuntu option and see what it does. That might be worth a try.

The failure to boot the usb disk appears to be explained by that askubuntu.com link. I suspect during the install process it downloaded packages from the network that are newer than what's on the boot disk, since they almost always do that, and the AHRL images are too old to be signed by the newer ubuntu keys - but during the install the UEFI was told not to trust the older keys so it refuses to boot the AHRL usb image.
The easiest solution if you really want or need to reinstall is to just turn off secureboot and leave it off. It's a complication on something you're already fighting with and once you're coming to better grips with the whole thing you can reinstall with secureboot turned on.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#16]

MBR partition scheme
NFTS file system
ISO image mode idi not work on first try. I reloaded the file with DD image mode, and it worked.
The file has a script to wipe the drive, and install the file.
After failure, it gives me an option of :
*ubntu
ubuntu advanced features.
I can hit escape and it will take me to gnu grub with the command line grub>

When it tries to boot from the stick now, it gets a (0x1a) security violation, and directs me to:
continue boot
add a key
add a hash
View Quote

NTFS is a windows file system, it will never work with that. EXT4 is what I use. You NEED TO FORMAT YOUR DRIVE FIRST FOR BEST RESULTS. Or at minimum, run the iso as a live image (assuming it will do that) and use Gparted to wipe out old partitions (the iso SHOULD have Gparted on it, if it doesn't that's ridiculous).

Also, installing an iso image on a stick can be very problematic, if you have an optical drive you're better off burning the iso onto a disk, and booting off of that.

Gparted also comes as a standalone iso itself, with a small live system meant just to run Gparted, very easy to use.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Dude, that's a user re-master of xubuntu, not really a distro, you're using somebody's home-baked linux. Not always a bad thing, but if you don't know enough to fix what's going on there, you'd be better served installing a major distro like Debian, and simply installing the programs you want after install.

View Quote

After a while, one realizes all linuxen are home-baked.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Mike327:

I googled the "verification failed 0x1a" thing and got this:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1456460/verification-failed-0x1a-security-violation-while-installing-ubuntu

Here's my understanding of what you typed:
You installed KB1OIQ's ubuntu distro which I will abbreviate to AHRL (good guy, met him at some hamfests!). When it was finished, you got some unknown errors.
You then immediately tried to reinstall from a freshly downloaded AHRL image, and booting from the new disk is giving you that security violation thing.
When you boot the system disk rather than the USB, you get a standard grub screen, but you've only pressed ESC on that which (as expected) drops you to a grub shell for debugging/manual booting.

If you are getting to grub when booting from the machine, it sounds like the install and secureboot is working fine for that installation at least that far.
I'm not seeing that you actually tried to boot that first ubuntu option and see what it does. That might be worth a try.

The failure to boot the usb disk appears to be explained by that askubuntu.com link. I suspect during the install process it downloaded packages from the network that are newer than what's on the boot disk, since they almost always do that, and the AHRL images are too old to be signed by the newer ubuntu keys - but during the install the UEFI was told not to trust the older keys so it refuses to boot the AHRL usb image.
The easiest solution if you really want or need to reinstall is to just turn off secureboot and leave it off. It's a complication on something you're already fighting with and once you're coming to better grips with the whole thing you can reinstall with secureboot turned on.
View Quote

He already said file system is NTFS, it will not work like that. If using MBR he most likely needs to into BIOS and turn off UEFI. In general UEFI needs GPT to work right except for a "legacy" mode.

With UEFI enabled you will get that error, article here: https://www.howtogeek.com/175641/how-to-boot-and-install-linux-on-a-uefi-pc-with-secure-boot/

"...New Windows PCs come with UEFI firmware and Secure Boot enabled. Secure Boot prevents operating systems from booting unless they're signed by a key loaded into UEFI -- out of the box, only Microsoft-signed software can boot.

Microsoft mandates that PC vendors allow users to disable Secure Boot, so you can disable Secure Boot or add your own custom key to get around this limitation...."

All this is why I said start simple, learn a little bit first, you can multiple partitions on a machine, so make extra's when you install the first major distro, once you get the hang of it, install the ham distro on another partition.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:32:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#19]
Ya know... this doesn't help OP, but might help others in the future.

You usually DON'T have to install Linux to your machine natively and boot (or dual boot) to it.  You can run it in a virtual machine.  Virtualbox is free, but kinda sux.  VMware workstation costs some money, but is better.

You can install your Linux VM (or VMs, whatever) and run them, and pass your USB or other devices *directly* to the VM, not to the host machine.  You can take snapshots of your VMs before you make changes in case you bork things up.  You can back up your VMs, so if your machine dies, no big deal.   If you upgrade to a new machine, just copy your VM over and maintain all of its config.  If you aren't planning on using Linux as your day-to-day main OS, running it in a VM is soooo much more flexible.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Mike327:

After a while, one realizes all linuxen are home-baked.
View Quote

Lol!

Not all though. But I home-bake my own usually, last one I did got too long in the tooth (2018) so I needed to do another recently but got lazy, am using Devuan currently. With some heavy modding, lol, and some sketchy third party stuff.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:38:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#21]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:
Ya know... this doesn't help OP, but might help others in the future.

You usually DON'T have to install Linux to your machine natively and boot (or dual boot) to it.  You can run it in a virtual machine.  Virtualbox is free, but kinda sux.  VMware workstation costs some money, but is better.

You can install your Linux VM (or VMs, whatever) and run them, and pass your USB or other devices *directly* to the VM, not to the host machine.  You can take snapshots of your VMs before you make changes in case you bork things up.  You can back up your VMs.   If you buy a new machine, just copy your VM over and maintain all of its config.  If you aren't planning on using Linux as your day-to-day main OS, running it in a VM is soooo much more flexible.
View Quote

Problem with that is his windows took a dump, so he can't use it.

the MOST simple solution, is if that distro he wants to use is a hybrid iso so he can just use a llve session and never actually install it on the hard drive. Ran Puppy linux that way for a couple years, just use a stick for persistence and data.

ETA: Went to the page and it says "live" medium, so i'm assuming you can run it live.

OP did you choose to install from the get go, or did you take it for a spin in a live session first?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#22]
OK, it will boot off the stick when boot security is turned off, and appears to be loading. I will see what happens this time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:
View Quote

I do the reverse on my personal stuff:

Linux is the host OS, VB is the hypervisor and all flavors of Windows are run as VMs. One work laptop is the reverse: Win11 host, VB hypervisor and a company-specific Linux distro as the guest.

As others pointed out, ext4 filesystem  and SecureBoot OFF is the way to go here. If the laptop supports it I'd throw 16GB RAM and an SSD in. Makes a huge difference in boot times and overall speed, particularly if your programs access the hard disk frequently.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:50:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#24]
OK, it will boot off the stick when boot security is turned off, and appears to be loading. I will see what happens this time.
View Quote

Perfect! Take it for a spin, and do check what your partitions are with Gparted and adjust as necessary. Do 3 partitions in EXT4 (you might want to add other distros later, and even if you don't you can still use them to store data) and a swap partition.

Then if you're happy with it, start the install. Good luck!

ETA: Sorry if I came off a little aggressive, it's just that in your thread title you said Linux could "KMMFA". I've been using Linux for 15 years, have donated to multiple projects, and written code for tons of things over the years, much of which is still in use, and even put out several of my own home-bakes for public use. Got lots of great friends in the community.

So basically you were telling me to kiss your ass, lol, so I bristled a little.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#25]
It actually loaded from the stick. I chose try instead of install. and it gave an error all over the screen failed to start maria 10.6.12 database server.
There was also a fast flash of acp bios error but it went by before I could pause and write it down.
What can I use to format this stick and start over?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Perfect! Take it for a spin, and do check what your partitions are with Gparted and adjust as necessary. Do 3 partitions in EXT4 (you might want to add other distros later, and even if you don't you can still use them to store data) and a swap partition.

Then if you're happy with it, start the install. Good luck!

ETA: Sorry if I came off a little aggressive, it's just that in your thread title you said Linux could "KMMFA". I've been using Linux for 15 years, have donated to multiple projects, and written code for tons of things over the years, much of which is still in use, and even put out several of my own home-bakes for public use. Got lots of great friends in the community.

So basically you were telling me to kiss your ass, lol, so I bristled a little.
View Quote

I get it. After now 15 hours of messing with this, that is kind of how I feel, not directed at you.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#27]
It actually loaded from the stick. I chose try instead of install. and it gave an error all over the screen failed to start maria 10.6.12 database server.
There was also a fast flash of acp bios error but it went by before I could pause and write it down.
View Quote

Sticks are such a pain in the ass, I made myself a few to use a rescue sticks for friends and one for myself, but it's a pain to do right quite often. I use Refracta2usb but it's pretty complex.

For one thing you typically have to format the stick to FAT32 for some reason on some programs, at least to use as a liveUsb. Some you have to use EXT2 to do it right, should be in the instructions for whatever program you're trying to use. I don't use windoze at all so I couldn't even tell you how on those machines.

Optical disc is the way to go IMO. Burn the iso on it, boot, profit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#28]
My computer is not seeing the contents of the stick and not letting me format it.
I will keep trying for a bit, and maybe just go get a better memory stick.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Whoa just read the page on the download of the latest version, 5.3 GB iso, holy crap that's enormous! So burning to a DVD is out...

Multiple issues listed about problems burning this to a USB stick:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/kb1oiq-andysham/files/v25a/

"4) Create a bootable USB thumb drive, containing the data from the ISO file.
  I have verified that these tools work properly:
    * usb-creator-gtk
    * balena-etcher
  Please note taht MultiBootUSB versions 9.2.0 and 9.3.0 seem NOT TO WORK
  for some reason.

Note that there have been issues with some software that doesn't properly
  create a bootable USB thumb drive. "

You will need a USB thumb drive that is at least 8GB in size.

Also:

2) Verify that the download is not corrupt.  Please don't skip this step!
  a) On a Linux system, run this command:  md5sum andy_.iso
  b) Compare that value to the value shown on Sourceforge
  c) Follow these detailed instructions to find the known good value
     https://sourceforge.net/p/kb1oiq-andysham/discussion/1789007/thread/9e4b0279bf/
  d) Please don't omit this check.  Many strange problems have been
     shown to be caused by a corrupt download.  If you report a problem,
     this will be the first question I ask of you.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:37:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#30]
Seriously, if you want Xubuntu i'd just download that and install, it's only 3 gigs, and there's a minimal version that's 1.6. Then install the extra programs, most are probably already in the repo. The ones that aren't I can show you how to get and install.

Linux has gotten so bloated the last few years, my last full-sized homebake was a 560 mb iso that unpacked to around 1.8 gb for the full system.

ETA: Personally i'd just use a MATE edition instead of XFCE, it will be more familiar and intuitive in operation to a former Windows user. Debian with the MATE desktop works really well for the most part.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:52:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#31]
I have had zero problems running various Linux iso installs from thumb drives.

If you cant get it to work, I will mail you a thumb drive of whatever version you want. I just use Mint and install what I want later for radio stuff. We can get you past installing the stuff and setting up the USB drive access in Terminal.

Eta; If you are using a fresh install, without Ham stuff pre-setup use Mint and not Xubuntu.

I am not a Linux Autist, just a casual learner more comfortable with Windows.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:02:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#32]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Dragon OS works fine for me, I run it often as a live run and also have installed it, it has a ton of radio stuff pre-installed.

Linux Mint (mate desktop) seems to work well on most older hardware, installing ham radio software is no problem. I prefer it to lubuntu that Dragon is based on. I've never tried the distro you're talking about.

It kinda sounds like you created a bootable USB and were just running from that instead of actually installing.

It's not just plug-and-play, it's a whole different type of OS, you need to learn a few things before just trying to dump linux on an HD that's not already set-up for Linux.

That's not really true. One can take a bootable disk of Linux Mint or Dragon OS, boot the computer, pick the "install" option and just follow the easy prompts to pick English, time zone etc, tell it to take over the hard drive and it does all the rest. It's easy and straightforward. Once the OS is installed, installing ham software like WSJT-X is also very straightforward from the software manager, or from the command line if you can remember a couple phrases to type in.

Almost every computer I own is an older computer that originally came with WIndows that I'm running Linux on, like the one I'm typing on now. I only have Windows for photo processing with Photoshop and a few other tasks.

My advice would be to download ISOs of Linux Mint and DragonOS, burn them to DVDs, and boot the computer from the disk. Either should run in a live session, as well as give you the option to install. If you want to install both, I know that if you install DragonOS first, and then install Mint, the Mint installer will let you resize the partitions easily to have both on the computer. (I haven't tried the opposite but it might well work).
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Dragon OS works fine for me, I run it often as a live run and also have installed it, it has a ton of radio stuff pre-installed.

Linux Mint (mate desktop) seems to work well on most older hardware, installing ham radio software is no problem. I prefer it to lubuntu that Dragon is based on. I've never tried the distro you're talking about.

It kinda sounds like you created a bootable USB and were just running from that instead of actually installing.

That's not really true. One can take a bootable disk of Linux Mint or Dragon OS, boot the computer, pick the "install" option and just follow the easy prompts to pick English, time zone etc, tell it to take over the hard drive and it does all the rest. It's easy and straightforward. Once the OS is installed, installing ham software like WSJT-X is also very straightforward from the software manager, or from the command line if you can remember a couple phrases to type in.

Almost every computer I own is an older computer that originally came with WIndows that I'm running Linux on, like the one I'm typing on now. I only have Windows for photo processing with Photoshop and a few other tasks.

My advice would be to download ISOs of Linux Mint and DragonOS, burn them to DVDs, and boot the computer from the disk. Either should run in a live session, as well as give you the option to install. If you want to install both, I know that if you install DragonOS first, and then install Mint, the Mint installer will let you resize the partitions easily to have both on the computer. (I haven't tried the opposite but it might well work).
View Quote

+1.

Currently running Mint 21.3 on several systems here. flrig, fldigi and wsjtx plus a bunch of other radio and weather programs are installed. Many of these are built from scratch - I've been a contributor to several of the ham radio suites and need the sources plus dev tools installed locally.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

It kind of sounds like you're using those errors as indications that the stick is corrupted. I don't think that necessarily follows.

Neither of those are likely to be critical. Displayed ACPI errors on some systems are "expected" sometimes without any negative side effects.
The mariadb is also not an issue until and unless you end up using software that needs it - and it's likely failing to start because it needs some configuration before it is started.

What I'm saying is that the image is probably just fine on that stick and those aren't even likely to be indications that it's corrupted, if that was your concern.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#35]
For me i've never saw the point in using a Debian-based distro as opposed to just using Debian (or Devuan).

Most of the time all you're getting is Debian with someone's choice of themes/colors, icons, fonts and programs. Great if somebody builds exactly what you want I guess and you don't feel like spending some time modding it yourself. Some distros like Mint do offer additional proprietary stuff.

I do nothing but net-installs these days unless it's something I made myself, I just want the basics, i'll do the rest post-install, whole lotta distros out there that need some serious un-fucking to be useful. When I roll my own from scratch, I always make a mini-version too, no programs pre-selected, just the infrastructure. Last one I did made a beautiful small 340mb iso and a lot of people adored it, some people never use their computer for anything more than a browser, makes no sense using too much hoo-ha that ain't gonna get used, smaller systems are always faster and more stable too. And they're great for running dedicated live sessions, even my fullsized system was small enough to choose the option to load to ram at the boot screen, hoo-boy you talk about lightning quick, no need for an SSD.

I'm glad that ya'll ham guys have the option to use this system, seems to have it all, but as for me, I would have made it much simpler and smaller, probably a third of that size or less, then offered the third-party stuff as .deb packages in it's own PPA, lot less to go wrong doing it that way as opposed to shoving it all in a giant 5.3 gig iso.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I've had different experiences trying different distros.  I'll share here, in case my experience helps spark an idea.

Needed to find way to get VS Code to work so I could teach python to my kids for homeschool.

Only had their chromebooks and my old Win 7 laptop.  Couldn't get their google profiles access to Linux on chrome. Decided to try linux, and since I've watched a lot of David Bombal, Occupy The Web, Rob Braxman and others...I chose Kali Linux.  

Made 3 live USB images and got them working on all 3 laptops. Wanted to do hard install to see if they would run faster. The live ISO gave similar errors and would not install.

Got the full Kali package, installed it, and it ate all the free space.  Couldn't get VS Code installed. Tried Gparted, based on advice on youtube, couldn't figure it out.

Started looking for other distros. They were either too big, too slow, wouldn't install.  All had different install processes.  Finally hit on LUBUNTU. Light distro, installed fine, left tons of room for VS Code.

I share that to illustrate that sometimes there are details in the different distros that make it difficult for those of us that are just getting into Linux. Some of the problems could be the image you picked, or the branch, or another setting I don't even know.  Some of the distros have instructions that say, if it fails just try again. Sometimes it takes a couple attempts.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Seriously, if you want Xubuntu i'd just download that and install, it's only 3 gigs, and there's a minimal version that's 1.6. Then install the extra programs, most are probably already in the repo. The ones that aren't I can show you how to get and install.
View Quote

I use Xubuntu on my laptops for the most part. It's much more lightweight than normal Ubuntu. XFCE works way better on older hardware than GNOME or KDE do.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm working on it. I have figured out a couple things. I deleted the file, and downloaded it again. I made the trip to get a couple of new sticks, and formatted the one in use prior to installing the file. I used an approved loader this time. It is loading as we speak. I will see if there are any errors sometime before midnight.
Experience is the best teacher, and this is just a warm up to try and get a junk computer up and running. I appreciate the advice, and will take it to heart. Pretty sure I can install other versions on here there is plenty of room. If I screw it all up it is no big loss. It has been the shit job computer for a while. I used it on the car and motorcycle. The down arrow gave up it's life when it took a fall working on the bike.
Another quirk is you have to re enter your name and password and delete xubuntu as a user before you reboot, or you won't be able to log back in.
The last thing I learned is do not remove the stick when the screen goes dark and the system light is still on.
Soooooo I get to do it again. The mariadb error disappeared, and I think the first one has no bearing on install or run.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:37:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm working on it. I have figured out a couple things. I deleted the file, and downloaded it again. I made the trip to get a couple of new sticks, and formatted the one in use prior to installing the file. I used an approved loader this time. It is loading as we speak. I will see if there are any errors sometime before midnight.
Experience is the best teacher, and this is just a warm up to try and get a junk computer up and running. I appreciate the advice, and will take it to heart. Pretty sure I can install other versions on here there is plenty of room. If I screw it all up it is no big loss. It has been the shit job computer for a while. I used it on the car and motorcycle. The down arrow gave up it's life when it took a fall working on the bike.
Another quirk is you have to re enter your name and password and delete xubuntu as a user before you reboot, or you won't be able to log back in.
The last thing I learned is do not remove the stick when the screen goes dark and the system light is still on.
Soooooo I get to do it again. The mariadb error disappeared, and I think the first one has no bearing on install or run.
View Quote

If you have to do it again, and you're looking for an ISO loader onto a flash drive on Windows, I recommend either Balena Etcher or Rufus.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:14:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Hayashi_Killian:

If you have to do it again, and you're looking for an ISO loader onto a flash drive on Windows, I recommend either Balena Etcher or Rufus.
View Quote

Balena etcher was the ticket it appears, along with formatting the stick first.
Well, it won't boot up. Says no kernel. I am done, it wins. I will try loading another distro and see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:16:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Well slap me naked and hide my clothes. It works. I went back into the bios to change back to secure boot, and changed the boot order, and it now is fully functional.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:19:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Thanks everyone for the help. Some I just figured out, but most was the clues everyone gave me. Using your suggestions helped me get it running.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:06:08 AM EDT
[#43]
This version contains a lot of amateur radio software including Fldigi, NBEMS, Gpredict, xcwcp and qrq, XLog and cqrlog, flrig and grig, xnec2c, fl_moxgen, aa-analyzer, owx, VOACAP, glfer, Xastir, gqrx, SDRangel, GNU Radio Companion, quisk, direwolf, FreeDV, wsjt-x, js8call, Micro-Fox 15 Config, TinyTrak3, sdrangel, M17 programs, and more!

This software collection uses the Xfce4 desktop environment with menus customized for Amateur Radio use. It is designed to be lightweight, fast, and visually appealing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Sounds good, I run Linux Mint here. The only negative was getting a version that was too advanced for my computer. When you get ready to install and run the ham radio programs there are some things that need to be done with your user name to allow audio and some of the control functions for FLRIG and FLDIGI. This is done from the command line terminal and you will probably need to use your password. There should be an audio program on the distro USB stick, I use "Pulse Audio"  to setup my audio paths. Anyhow, open a terminal, The commands all begin with adduser and your user name. When you to do these the first time, the computer will ask for your password, some distros won't print the pasword as you enter it. Enter it all the same, the pass-word will be good until you close the terminal window. When you're done entering the adduser commands, reboot the computer.
It was Andy's ham radio site where I learned that I needed this BTW.

Here is the format, adduser username netdev  adduser username dialout  adduser username audio.
Remember, these are commands, so watch the spaces between words, and don't add any punctuation marks.

Mine actually look like this:
adduser rob netdev

adduser rob dialout

adduser rob audio

Rob
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#45]
This version contains a lot of amateur radio software including Fldigi, NBEMS, Gpredict, xcwcp and qrq, XLog and cqrlog, flrig and grig, xnec2c, fl_moxgen, aa-analyzer, owx, VOACAP, glfer, Xastir, gqrx, SDRangel, GNU Radio Companion, quisk, direwolf, FreeDV, wsjt-x, js8call, Micro-Fox 15 Config, TinyTrak3, sdrangel, M17 programs, and more!

This software collection uses the Xfce4 desktop environment with menus customized for Amateur Radio use. It is designed to be lightweight, fast, and visually appealing.
View Quote

VERY COOL

About a decade ago, I was using ubuntu with FLDIGI and CQRLOG

It worked well, and was peppy compared to windows on the same machine.

I use MINT now, but run [cough] windows for ham radio stuff

This is why I like having a desktop, with a swappable hard drive to keep windows and linux completely separate.

This way, if I completely screw everything up, I shut down, and switch HD's.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KS8S9W?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#46]
@Colt653
I like that idea, I have been dual booting with WINDOWS, sometimes triple booting, as I keep a second Linux Mint partition on the same drive; thus, If needed, I can boot the small distro and run GParted or the like to repair the other partition. Your idea will keep a windows update from destroying you boot partition, I like that. I've been working at getting away from" winders" but I still need to go back occasionally for some specialty programs. I bought a 2 TB drive and use it in a USB connected enclosure for backups.
Rob
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#47]
I did the same in a system - dual SSDs, one set up for Legacy Boot in BIOS, the other, Secure Boot.

One was NTFS and had a Win10 Pro installation. The other, Mint Tricia (19.3).

Win10 was quite unstable running natively (directly on the hardware). So much so that I ended up using that drive to create a parking space for a Win10 VM and never looked back. The two instances where I had problems with VM bootup/BSODs were both attributable to bad (known, documented) MS patches or system updates. Copying the master image back into that VM space and selectively applying updates got me out of the woods both times.

Currently building 4 i7-7700k machines (XPC Cube, 64GB RAM) as Win10 VM hosts. These will run scanner control software and the VMs will stay off the Internet except to receive MS updates. None of them will run the latest version of Win11 so the next personal system I build will be a 13th gen i7 in a compact case.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By robmkivseries70:
@Colt653
I like that idea, I have been dual booting with WINDOWS, sometimes triple booting, as I keep a second Linux Mint partition on the same drive; thus, If needed, I can boot the small distro and run GParted or the like to repair the other partition. Your idea will keep a windows update from destroying you boot partition, I like that. I've been working at getting away from" winders" but I still need to go back occasionally for some specialty programs. I bought a 2 TB drive and use it in a USB connected enclosure for backups.
Rob
View Quote

Thanks

I need to upgrade, solid state drives, and more horsepower

but those expensive primers and cans of powder won't buy themselves

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#49]
I tried to load another operating system on the computer and got the same errors, so it appears the computer is the issue. I am going to install linux mint on a different machine, and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:04:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AnalogKid] [#50]
I tried to load another operating system on the computer and got the same errors, so it appears the computer is the issue. I am going to install linux mint on a different machine, and see how it goes.
View Quote

Head to the auction site, look for a Shuttle DS61-1. Throw an i7-3770k and 16GB RAM in. Then add an SSD of 250-500GB. Re-sell any removed parts or use in other projects.

Gives you a whole bunch of ports (USB and RS232/485), dual video, onboard audio, dual Gigabit Ethernet...CHEAP. I'm replying on one (my test system) and it's more than capable of concurrently running flrig/fldigi, a VB Win7 VM running YaDD (using an R-71A to scan) and an XP-Pro VM controlling a couple of radio scanners via Spectrum Commander. This in addition to surfing Arfcom.

Host OS is Mint 21.3.

If you have to have a laptop, HP 8560p or 8570p. Look for one with an i7, throw in RAM/SSD as indicated above and go play. Also can be had/upgraded cheap.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top