Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2018 9:34:36 PM EDT
Specifically for the aluminum body F150s. I got one last summer and now I'm ready to get back in to ham. I've got a TM-V71A and a diamond dual band antenna that on my last 2 vehicle I drilled into the roof. I don't want to deal with that on this vehicle for many reasons. I just put a Bakflip Revolver X2 on the bed, but there is still plenty of room to either do a bed stake pocket mount or to make a bracket that will come out the front towards the cab rear window for an NMO Mount. Stake pocket would be easier, but are you guys concerned about vandals taking or destroying the antenna? If I do a stake mount I'm almost thinking of adding a set screw or cover or something just so it can't be taken easily. Any recommendations for these types of mounts or in general are appreciated.

Truck for reference, before I put the bed cover on.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 6:21:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Hello-

I also have a new F-150. Haven't put a radio in it yet, and not sure if I'll install my HF rig as I had in the Jeep I drove previously. For a VHF/UHF antenna, I might look at using a simple bracket to mount it forward of the windshield, like so:

IMG_2234 by Jim QRB, on Flickr

I haven't looked under the hood of the Ford yet, I presume a similar location could be found. It was a very quick and easy install in the Jeep, and required drilling no visible holes. The bracket was cheap from HRO, and only required a little bending to fit that particular application.

Good luck to you...   Jim
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hello-

I also have a new F-150. Haven't put a radio in it yet, and not sure if I'll install my HF rig as I had in the Jeep I drove previously. For a VHF/UHF antenna, I might look at using a simple bracket to mount it forward of the windshield, like so:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4516/38583256896_d225ff4fdb_k.jpgIMG_2234 by Jim QRB, on Flickr

I haven't looked under the hood of the Ford yet, I presume a similar location could be found. It was a very quick and easy install in the Jeep, and required drilling no visible holes. The bracket was cheap from HRO, and only required a little bending to fit that particular application.

Good luck to you...   Jim
View Quote
This is the way I would go mysel, my DMR antenna is installed this way actually. I've also gone back to using glass mounts on vehicles I don't want to drill, like the wife's truck
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a good sit down rag chew with my elmer about antenna mounts.   I was going to put my mobile in the truck and was having a hard time with the selection of a location.  I didn't know at the time anything about a ground plane.  After we went over the benefit of a good location I did drill on the cab.  Pulled the rear light on the cab and drilled as far forward as I could reach to get the nmo installed..  Three years later I picked up "Barbie Car", or that is what my wife calls it.. Ford fiesta for the gas mileage, installed a trunk mount on the back left Nmo mount and it works real good.   But I am using the super gainer antenna on the car.   The truck antenna has 3db gain on 2m, the car has 5db gain in 2m.  I was expecting the car to do better but it doesn't.   I spent an hour drilling bonding straps on the car trunk panels to frame but it still is not as good as the truck.  It definitely favors certain directions based on the location I mounted it.  However I dont have to worry about folding it over if I drive under low covering..  If you have good coverage in your area and not pushing the edges the low mount would be fine..  If you need every mile you can get, go up top..   The mounts are getting better, some people make their own...  If you go strong enoug you can use it for hf mobile..  Good Luck...

Prosise
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#4]
my F250 4x4 is too tall to run a roof mount way 'out here' and my Transit Van is even way taller!

I'm a front fender guy, and they work well for me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting. I had considered front fender, but thought I'd have a better plane with a giant aluminum bed cover in the back. I'll have a look at fender mounts too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#6]
(dupe) - mods, please delete.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#7]
FWIW, I picked up a Comet catalog at Hamcation last weekend.

One of the pictures in the catalog showed a Comet CP-5 mount attached to the lip of the tailgate.  I had never thought about mounting an antenna there.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm running a lip mount on my drivers door just above my mirror on the Transit Van/Wagon.  it's no Ideal but it's working-for now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top