Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2018 12:53:34 PM EDT
My Dad and I built this in November. It took about 3 weeks to complete. Not sure why we waited until the season was half over to start it but I love how it turned out. The ladder is temporary, we plan on building stairs or a much sturdier ladder this spring. So far we have carpet, two swivel chairs and a propane heater. I sat out there for the first time this weekend, sure beats sitting in my stand. My kids will be spoiled when they learn to hunt. I didn’t see a thread for hunting blinds, let’s see them.

Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Sub'd. Pretty cool setups so far. Doesn't get much easier or relaxed than that!
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I need to up my game and build something nicer than a pop-up. Tagged
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Very cool OP. What did you use for windows?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very cool OP. What did you use for windows?
View Quote
Thank you, we used plexiglass. We drilled a hole at the top of the plexiglass and put a small bolt with a wingnut on the inside. The plexiglass slides up and a string goes around the wingnut to hold it up. Plexiglass worked well to keep the weight down and still have a lot of windows, plus the sides were much lighter when we hauled them up once the base was up.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I am getting ready to close on some hunting land.  This thread is relevant to my interests.   Keep the ideas coming.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Took about 3 months working in the evenings and weekends this year.  I bet I have 15 tubes of caulk in this; every joint is caulked including interior panels.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Built this one a few years ago:

Attachment Attached File

7.5'x9', Solar power, LED lighting, 120v outlets (inverter), propane heat and comfy seating for 4.

Saved up scrap & excess materials for about 18 months from various projects around the family.
Scavenged the storm windows from a neighbor's renovation job.
Only hard costs were 10lbs of screws, a few outlets, solar panel and inverter, and $50 on Amazon for led lighting and a few 12v fans.

1 Weekend build. Structure & roof went up in about 6 hours, Did the windows, door & shingle siding in 6 more the next day.
Looking for some mice-resistant insulation & remnant outdoor carpeting to "finish" things off inside.

Can't find the interior pix.  Will grab some in a few weeks when I'm out flintlock hunting.

View out the front:
Attachment Attached File

The front view is a 2 acre hayfield, that is edged on 2 sides by red clover and brassicas.

Behind and to the sides of the shack are numerous trails and natural funnels.

We've averaged 6 deer/year from this location, and 2-3 more on the way in/out.

We have another "mini shack" (4'x7', 2 persons max, heated & battery powered) located 350 yards away from this one that averages 3/year.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Built this one a few years ago:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19111/IMG_6709_jpg-780286.JPG

7.5'x9', Solar power, LED lighting, 120v outlets (inverter), propane heat and comfy seating for 4.

Saved up scrap & excess materials for about 18 months from various projects around the family.
Scavenged the storm windows from a neighbor's renovation job.
Only hard costs were 10lbs of screws, a few outlets, solar panel and inverter, and $50 on Amazon for led lighting and a few 12v fans.

1 Weekend build. Structure & roof went up in about 6 hours, Did the windows, door & shingle siding in 6 more the next day.
Looking for some mice-resistant insulation & remnant outdoor carpeting to "finish" things off inside.

Can't find the interior pix.  Will grab some in a few weeks when I'm out flintlock hunting.

View out the front:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19111/IMG_6711_jpg-780288.JPG

The front view is a 2 acre hayfield, that is edged on 2 sides by red clover and brassicas.

Behind and to the sides of the shack are numerous trails and natural funnels.

We've averaged 6 deer/year from this location, and 2-3 more on the way in/out.

We have another "mini shack" (4'x7', 2 persons max, heated & battery powered) located 350 yards away from this one that averages 3/year.
View Quote
what is the floor ft^2?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#11]
It's about 55-60sq ft of floor space...

Unless you're asking how high the floor is? About 18" at the corner by the door and 30" at the opposite.  Whole shack sits over a massive slab rock on a natural rise at cutout in the edge of the field.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's about 55-60sq ft of floor space...

Unless you're asking how high the floor is? About 18" at the corner by the door and 30" at the opposite.  Whole shack sits over a massive slab rock on a natural rise at cutout in the edge of the field.
View Quote
No, I was asking floor space... how much to fit 4 shooters.  usually 4x6 will fit 2... so yours makes sense.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:07:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No, I was asking floor space... how much to fit 4 shooters.  usually 4x6 will fit 2... so yours makes sense.

Thanks
View Quote
No problem.

We had built the 4x7 about 4 years prior to this one, found it to be a little cramped even with 2 shooters once you fired up the heater.
Once a few of the kids started showing interest, we knew we had to go bigger, so we left the 4x7 in place (it's in a good spot) and started working this field.
Spent one year picking rocks and brush-hogging out all the goldenrod, the following we disc'd and seeded the heck out of it (hay grasses).
Next year built this shack and started the "plot" along the edges.

It's been worth every penny and drop of sweat spent.  May not be the prettiest shack in the thread, but damn if it isn't functional, comfortable and productive.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I built this in 2009. Added an awning this summer to block the sun.Attachment Attached File

Edit: another picture. My view this year.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 12:29:34 AM EDT
[#15]
8'x6' with metal roofing and sliding double pane windows from Home Depot (Tafco). Almost done insulating with hard board and spray foam.
Mr. Buddy heater.

Failed to get the stairs built this year do to rain, so it has been a ladder.

Damn yote had part of one of my deer in its mouth, I guess it has pups to feed.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Great setups so far guys, keep them coming. We got this up late in the season so we still have quite a bit of clearing to do this spring. We’ll also be adding some food plots next year. I think I’m going to add a flip down table this week. Here’s a few more pics I took this morning. Didn’t see much today, just does and little ones.

Link Posted: 12/23/2018 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is a picture of my table. It is hinged to fold down against the wall. It is held up with branches that I cut out of the woods. In almost 10 years, I have never folded it down.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#18]
@SciFiNut

What are you using 120 volt power for?

I'm trying to think of anything I could use it for, but I'm coming up blank.

Just wondering what I'm missing.

Here is my wire diagram.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote
The one I have pictured in a post above is 6' x 6'.  Doing it again I would go 7' wide for two hunters.

I have another blind 7'W x 6'D that I built last year that has a crossbow/gun holder in the middle of the front window.  I plan to replace this with a 10 x 10 in the future for up to 4 people.

No levels, squares,or any other instrument of precision was used in the construction of this crude blind.  Went up in a day.  Took two bucks in rifle season and a doe my first crossbow deer.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#20]
@fredshort

Most of application uses 12v DV for lighting & fans (red LED low under-window height for entry during dark.)

Ran romex to 5 outlets hard-wired to an inverter tied to it's own sealed breaker on the batter bank in case we need 120v.
For the most part, the 120 only gets turned on for charging phones or a wifi hotspot... the 120v chargers are more durable than car style chargers.

We do have 120v white led rope lighting tacked in the ceiling in case we want/need full illumination.
Also have 120v flood lighting for the exterior...
BUT, the primary reason for adding 120v was not being able to find a good, quiet 12v DC coffee maker.

Your diagram looks solid... I would suggest stepping up the solar panel though, and adding a controller.
We use a 25watt panel thru a controller to keep 2 deep cycles charged up.

We've found we use a good amount of power recharging devices over the course of a season... can't even count how many deer we've taken while watching Netflix mid-day...  and several pots of coffee lol.

ETA: forgot we also have 2 game cameras mounted to the shack that are wired to the 12v system as well... so there's a small but constant load there...
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#21]
OK, thanks.

I don't see where I need 120 volt power myself.

I'll look into upgrading my charging system to try to extend the life of my battery.

The current battery is a gel cell but I don't remember the size. It's about 5 years old. The previous battery was a used 1000 amp AGM that was 10 years old when I put it out there, it lasted 5 years.

I do know that if I leave the fan running , it will still be running a week later.

Thanks for the ideas.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#22]
My Taj Mahal soft-sided deer shooting house.  I used this in 2016 and killed two does within 2 hours of opening day for gun season.

In early 2017, I took the platform and modified into a hard sided 6x8 Taj Mahal Upgrade deer shooting shack complete with heat, insulation, coffee maker, and executive desk chairs.

A couple weeks ago, my deer hunting partner got a nice 6 point out of the TMU shack:

And then in 2018, I took a 8x12 platform I bought off a Redstone Fed cop, cut it in half and turned into my Taj Mahal Mk II deer shooting shack for my pole barn field.  Build thread archived here:    https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Build-Thread-Taj-Mahal-Mk-III-Deer-Shooting-House/75-2149415/

The day we put it up:

After some camouflage work:

And the very first time the pole barn field Taj Mahal Mk II was used to shoot deer was successful!  I had the Kids Hunting For A Cure during the TN Juvenile Hunting Day, Oct. 27.  My hunter, a 13 year old from AL, shot a nice little doe:

And then a couple weeks ago, I got a nice little doe, but sorry, no pics.  

Thanks for looking!
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 2:00:45 AM EDT
[#24]
If you're gonna spend all day inside while hunting, do you really need camo attire?  Seems black would be better.  Especially when you have to put on some level of blaze over your camo if you go outside.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you're gonna spend all day inside while hunting, do you really need camo attire?  Seems black would be better.  Especially when you have to put on some level of blaze over your camo if you go outside.
View Quote
I generally wear my black Carhartt jacket when in my blind.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have little camo left.  I usually just wear what I use when working around the farm:  Duluth insulated fire hose pants, Carhartt black vest and Carhartt heavy jacket and brown Cabelas cowboy type hat.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Cabin:
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
When you’re hunting in the Midwest in Nov/Dec, you wear what’s going to keep you warm. In my case, my camo overalls are warm and quiet. Also, idk about the SW but around here, if you’re hunting, you wear camo!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#29]
We wear camo.  No blaze required here.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 12:55:09 AM EDT
[#30]
We have to wear orange unless we're archery hunting, and post at least 100 square inches, visible 360 degrees within 15 feet of the blind when it's occupied. (It can be displayed when it's not occupied, but MUST be displayed when it is.)
Most guys around here with permanent blinds paint a band around them or hang a spare vest or hat off a nearby tree/branch.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Good stuff!
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 6/13/2019 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#33]
My last hunt had me go from around 10k ft to 12k ft in about a mile ....I was really envious of this type of hunting
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 7:24:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top