Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2019 4:23:33 PM EDT
Lefties, tell me about your preferred left handed hunting rifle. Or, do you simply run a right handed one ?

I am a big fan of Savage and Browning because among other reasons their right handed rifles have a tang safety which is easily accessible as a lefty.

Is there any good reason I should switch over to a left handed rifle from a safety perspective? I intuitively run a right handed bolt gun smoothly.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I hated hunting with a right-handed bolt action rifle. That is what I got for my 14th birthday because my dad got a good deal on it and it was what he could afford granted the one he got for me had bad scope rings that kept coming loose.  Forget about follow up shots unless your practice. Right-handed semi-autos are fine thats what first moved up to once I got older and more into hunting. Gases and spent shells shoot across your face so eye protection is a bigger concern than it is for a right-hander and who wheres eye protection when hunting right.

Browning makes a lever-action all the way up to 300wm if you don't like semis. There is a good amount of left-handed options nowadays.

Savage makes a nice affordable left-handed rifle. Weatherby makes them too but they look more like decorative art than a tool to be used for hunting. I have never had issues with right-handed safties just the bolt.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a battery of LH rifles, M70 in .338, M700 in .22-250, M700 in .308, M700 in .223.

I can't imagine trying to hunt with a RH action.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out the Tikka T3 as well for a bolt gun.  I shoot Tikka and Savage.  Picked up a left handed Savage Predator in .243 and it's my current deer rifle.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are left-handed there is no reason to hunt right-handed unless its the only rifle you have and can't afford a new one it is my hunting experience with a right-handed bolt action that for the longest time I hated bolt actions and only shot semis
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Good discussion.

I neglected to mention that I’m an oddball- I do everything else right handed but have always, always picked up rifles and bows left handed. I shoot pistols righthanded though I’m left eye dominant. Might explain why I’ve never had much consternation about running a righty bolt- all the coordination is in that hand.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 10:24:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a left-hand Browning shortrac BAR in .270 WSM. Left side eject and safety. Bolt release is still on right side.  It's nice not to have hot brass land on your arm and brand you like my right hand BAR's have done in the past. My next rifle will probably be a left hand bolt action.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I have three LH bolt action rifles in my safe. A LH Remington Custom Shop 700 KS Mountain Rifle in .300 Win Mag, a LH Remington 700 in 8 X 57 JS Mauser that was produced for Remington distributor "Bill Hicks Inc" back in the early 1990's and a LH Zastava M70L in 6.5 X 55 Swede. I tried using RH bolt rifles in the past but never became proficient using them. Working the bolt on follow up shots never felt "natural".
Gary
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I purchased my first left handed bolt rifle about 6 or 7 years ago.  Since then i've picked up two more.  Two Rugers and one Tikka.  I own several other bolt guns in Right handed configuration.  I'm a little slower on follow up shots but I can still pull them off pretty quickly.  Just have to practice and be consistent.  
My beef with manufacturers is they have a thousand models in right handed and then one low budget model in left handed.  Or they have their high end wall hanger models that are left handed.  Very few companies offer many lefty rifles.  Ruger was pretty good about it but it seems their M-77 Hawkeye line of rifles have disappeared.  Their American line is ok but I really do like their M-77 style better.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Just buy a Henry long ranger or Browning blr.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

From the top:  GA Prec. in .308, M700 VS cut to 18.5 in .22-250, GA Prec. in .223.

Attachment Attached File

Almost forgot, another GA Prec. rifle in .22-250, Krieger 1-9 barrel, etc.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm left handed.  I have one left handed rifle...a Remington 581 my Father bought me for my first rifle.  It is a lot of fun to shoot.  I have not have another left handed rifle since then.  With that being said I am looking too buy a left handed bolt action rifle.  I am looking at the Tikka or Bergara.  Their actions are smooth and there are quite a few choices, and good support.

The primary reason I am not fond of right handed rifles would depend on their stock.  A right handed Monte Carlo stock feels horrible to me when I am shouldering the rifle left handed.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I hunt supported out of a stand.  One hand for the trigger, leaves my right hand to run the bolt.  All of my guns are either right handed or ambi.  If I were to still hunt, I'd probably pick up a lever gun.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 9:32:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm right handed but shoot left because of a shoulder injury.
I have a lefty Savage Axis in a Boyd stock. I can run my righty Mosin with left hand since no optic and bolt sticks straight out.
Everything else I have is semi auto.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 12:50:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#15]
My main hunting rifle is a lh Ruger American stainless steel 308 cut back to 16", it was cheap and I don't have to worry if it gets wet or gets damaged.

Then I have a Remington 700 lh also in 308 and also cut to 16" it's more like an all purpose rifle

Then I have a deviance precision rifle, in 6xc also cut down to 16" it's super a accurate and is light enough that I can use it also for hunting.

Right now I am looking at a Tikka lefty.. but I am not convinced yet I want to build something really light weight
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Never forget the beautiful Ruger No. 1

Link Posted: 12/3/2019 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I have aeveral. I bought Model 70 when they where made and have several I have never shot. I also have rew Dakota rifles.

I have some Based on the Montana Actions.  I wishthey wouls actually make the big action i left hand. All of these a CRF.

Ruger makes a CRF.

I have a left handed scout I built off of a Savage  model 10 years ago. Its a nice fifle but not near a smooth as any of the above.

Both my sons a left eyed dominant as I am also. They shoot left handed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top