Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2021 7:12:28 PM EDT
On August 25th my life as I knew it ended. After struggling and going to counseling my wife told me she wanted a divorce. We started proceedings today. Afterward we went out to coffee and she informed me she is “seeing somebody.”

I was thinking about giving this 18 months, seeing what happens, then potentially taking a year to travel around the US. Screw that. I’m buying a truck camper and leaving. I’m going to ski and fish through the winter while I locate and fix up a pop up truck camper. Then quit my job and go Travels with Charley.

I have the truck. I’m looking for the camper.

Not looking for divorce advice. I’ve gotten enough. I like camping, hiking, backpacking, fly fishing, snowshoeing, and skiing. I’m also passionate about volunteer trail work. Where should I go. I would like to be in the NE for fall. I’m in SW Washington now. Ideally looking for a new home. I have no ties to anyone or anywhere. As much as I love her, there is no going back.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you have your priorities right.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#2]
So sorry to hear this.  Sounds like you are taking it as best as you can.

Me?  I'd head to Durango/Cortez Colorado.  Ski Purgatory/Telluride/Wolf Creek.  Mountain bike year-round.  Run out to Moab.  Head down to AZ to warm up.  Fly fish some of the best rivers in the country.  Might even meet a nice lady in a Durango bar or something.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#3]
No need to work?
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to hear that friend. I hope everything you want ultimately works out for you.

I would suggest Alabama, but there’s that damn humidity and mosquitoes and nearly year long summers.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Have a look at expedition portal.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Travel a bit, see what area calls to you
Lots of volunteer trail work in Upstate NY but the gun laws are contrary to what you want to deal with
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Time of the year and location will play a key for happiness.

I thought about getting a T@B or other small pull behind for a truck or SUV.   I think it would work for me; but with a max 1 week stay.

For what I wanted, the T@B would not quite do what I wanted it to do - near full time use that is.

I might need to look once again at the scamp travel trailer.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I have money saved. I could go three years on savings. It was for our future, but we apparently don’t have one. There is also the house.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have money saved. I could go three years on savings. It was for our future, but we apparently don’t have one. There is also the house.
View Quote

How long married? You can kiss half that “savings” goodbye going through a divorce.
You still love someone that has rejected you and is “seeing” someone? Fuck that.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#10]
About to do the same in some many, life just didn't work out like planned.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How long married? You can kiss half that “savings” goodbye going through a divorce.
You still love someone that has rejected you and is “seeing” someone? Fuck that.
View Quote

Together for 15 years, married 13 as of August 22nd. We’ve already divided finances. I’ve got enough.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 12:13:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I say right on man. Go do whatever the fuck you want. Just get a canopy for your truck and build out a little sleeping platform and storage area. Go super basic and stealthy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 12:26:40 AM EDT
[#13]
We got a very good 16 years out of our Lance 1010.  The new owners have put another 5 years on her.  Both of us used F-350 duallie crew cabs as the carry vehicle.

I kind of wish I had her back.  

Link Posted: 10/15/2021 12:51:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Good luck finding a camper right now, especially for anything resembling reasonable.  There are a lot of folks building their own these days, products like 80/20 make it it a lot easier as do the various composites that are pretty easy to work with.  Weight is the big thing, especially with anything smaller than a 250/2500 series truck.  It adds up quickly and kills your gas mileage and your brakes.  Most campers/RVs are designed for short occasional trips and don't hold up well to full time life on the road so be picky about what you get.  

There are pros and cons to various types of vehicles and campers.  I've lived out of my trucks and VW buses for periods of times and the buses were much easier from a living point of view, even without the top popped; as a daily driver they have their own issues.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry to hear about your situation ...

Besides the $$$ you've got squirreled away, hopefully you have your health.  Financial obligations are not easily gotten rid of these days. I'm assuming you have a mortgage on the house. Do you have kids?

Picking up after a divorce and skeedadaling across the country, fishing, hiking and camping, sounds easy and attractive, ... but the wider financial context of your life might get in the way.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Man, you are so lucky.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a Lance overhead camper. I think it was an 1130. It was 11.5 ft., and had to have a long bed dually to carry it. I loved it, but sold it and the roof got a leak and ruined it. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#18]
The first question should be what type of truck do you have recommendations need to be based off of that. Additional questions will include will you require a in truck cassette toilet? Shower? How remote will you attempt to be? Lots of great options out there just need to understand what you have to start with and where are you may want to be want to quit
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like I’m shifting gears. Looking for a ~20ft bumper pull with U-dinette, bed, and dry bath. Traveling into fall, parking at a friends place, prepping it for winter use, then traveling to the places I liked in the summer to check out the skiing. Truck camper is going to be too small for me to live out of comfortably, minimalist or not.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looks like I’m shifting gears. Looking for a ~20ft bumper pull with U-dinette, bed, and dry bath. Traveling into fall, parking at a friends place, prepping it for winter use, then traveling to the places I liked in the summer to check out the skiing. Truck camper is going to be too small for me to live out of comfortably, minimalist or not.
View Quote

@highcaliber

That’s quite a change from a truck camper.  Still going alone or is a friend coming along?

I ask because a small lightweight Aliner may be your answer if you’re still going it alone.  Plus a smaller half ton truck or even below can handle these campers.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 8:05:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I am jealous OP.  I would love to take a year off from life and just travel

Keep us updated
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 11:48:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Good idea on the trailer. Set up camp and explore the area not dragging a camper along.

Have you looked at a cargo trailer and build it to fit YOUR needs. Never liked the layouts in campers. Let alone the cheap design and construction compared to a cargo. I just need a bed and a place for a hot plate to cook, maybe a microwave. Small wood stove in the corner and a shower. Would be nice to haul a dualsport bike in the trailer. Imagine the places to explore on a bike.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Congrats on the divorce!
Sounds like you have a great plan; totally envious.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Congrats on the divorce!
Sounds like you have a great plan; totally envious.
View Quote

Is the OP's divorce final?

The divorce process, also known as 'Man-Fleecing,' tends to make the guy poorer off financially once the judge inks the Final Decree.

Hopefully the OP knew how to 'strategically' hide assets before all the slicing-n-dicing.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#26]
“Strategically hide assets” … do tell.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#27]
When you make it to NE in the fall, message me, I'm always game for WMNF hikes.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm working on a similar plan for the same reason. Hang in there man!
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Is the OP even still alive and taking nourishment?  
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 2:48:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Travel a bit, see what area calls to you
Lots of volunteer trail work in Upstate NY but the gun laws are contrary to what you want to deal with
View Quote
The high peaks region in upstate NY is beautiful and there are unlimited things to do or see or volunteer for. NY sucks, but theres a reason why theres a saying that the Adirondacks are calling. Its a ripoff of the John Muir quote but still rings true for some
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 10:15:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I would honestly say to trade in your truck for a brand new truck right F now.  Then go out and buy a camper.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#32]
First off good luck. Next, if it were me I would go to RV places and instead of buying a travel trailer I would look at used full size RVs that could flat tow your existing truck.
Hhere in the Midwest dealers are getting over msrp for new RVs but they're not giving anything at all when people try to trade in which is leading to used stuff especially imperfect being sold for a song just to get rid of them.  If you buy one that's on the junkie side, then you can fix it up however you like.  
Another option is to buy an actual bus for even cheaper yet and build it into an RV exactly the way you want it.  Again good luck man.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Is the OP even still alive and taking nourishment?  
View Quote

@HighCaliber
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Update:

I didn’t know anyone was really that interested.

But here’s what happened….

Initially she said she wanted a divorce because she wanted to date other people and I wouldn’t be able to handle that.

Eventually she changed that to separation. Which we did.

I moved out.

She told me she was seeing someone.

Against a good friends advice I got on tinder and went out a few times. I met someone that turned out to be incredible.

My wife called on a Friday and wanted to meet. I was distant and not interested in reconnecting with her and I told her later that night I was seeing someone.

Someone and I went out that weekend and she said she couldn’t see me anymore because I was still mentally in two places and I should figure it out.

I spent until Monday thinking about it and decided that we could go ahead and divorce because I need to be whole and happy again.

I was going to go to the house that night and tell her that. At around four I got a short text: “I need you”

We’ve been working on patching it up. I did end up taking a travel trailer to Tahoe for the summer. It was great down there and we’re moving to Reno next summer. I’m also looking for a new job as what I do has been the source of significant frustration for me.

I’m still not positive that it’s going to work between us, but she seems to be fully committed to marriage. Of course I thought she was before and that was wrong. At this point I know I’ll be happy either way. But I still wonder if I’d be happier on my own. I still do think about the woman I was dating.

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Update:

I didn’t know anyone was really that interested.

But here’s what happened….

Initially she said she wanted a divorce because she wanted to date other people and I wouldn’t be able to handle that.

Eventually she changed that to separation. Which we did.

I moved out.

She told me she was seeing someone.

Against a good friends advice I got on tinder and went out a few times. I met someone that turned out to be incredible.

My wife called on a Friday and wanted to meet. I was distant and not interested in reconnecting with her and I told her later that night I was seeing someone.

Someone and I went out that weekend and she said she couldn’t see me anymore because I was still mentally in two places and I should figure it out.

I spent until Monday thinking about it and decided that we could go ahead and divorce because I need to be whole and happy again.

I was going to go to the house that night and tell her that. At around four I got a short text: “I need you”

We’ve been working on patching it up. I did end up taking a travel trailer to Tahoe for the summer. It was great down there and we’re moving to Reno next summer. I’m also looking for a new job as what I do has been the source of significant frustration for me.

I’m still not positive that it’s going to work between us, but she seems to be fully committed to marriage. Of course I thought she was before and that was wrong. At this point I know I’ll be happy either way. But I still wonder if I’d be happier on my own. I still do think about the woman I was dating.

View Quote

Well dang, that's quite an emotional roller coaster!  
Good luck to you, and thank you for the update!  I was following your thread!
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#36]
What's the latest update?   There are 1000 guys reading this, ready to sell it all and drive across the countey skipping from ARFcom'er bug-out location to bug-out location.  Some quiet nights in secluded areas, some drinks with like minded people.  Even hunting or fishing and a range day here and there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top