Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2024 8:53:54 AM EDT
We had a heck of a wind storm blow through Wednesday night, or very early Thursday morning.  I got home and everything seemed to be in order.  I tuned on my Icom 7300.  It is currently connected to an older model Chameleon Emcomm 2 (basically an EFHW) which is connected to an inverted v doublet fed with ladder line.  Tunes on everything from 6 to 160 meters.  Not sure how efficient it is.  But I am making contacts on everything.  Never found anything I could here on 160 meters, so not sure how it would perform there, but it tunes less than 1.5:1.

I was able to tune on 10.20.40 meters.  Absolutely no signals anywhere.  

I went outside.  Check the antenna.  The emcomm ii was still mounted on the little wooden stub through 50' of coax.  The ladder line was blown off.  So, the coax and efhw coupler was the only thing connected and still tuned on 10,20 and 40 meters.  

SWR by itself is totally meaningless.  After hooking up the ladder line again, the bands opened back up.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Dummy loads show great swr, too.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KB7DX:

Yes they do. Sometimes you can even make contacts on one.

@seek2

View Quote

I've mentioned that incident here recently, I think maybe in the NVIS thread?

For those that don't know about it, too many years ago KB7DX and I connected on Olivia, our QTHs are about 50 miles apart
with multiple mountain ranges between us (no LOS.) Signals were generally pretty weak, but one time we connected
they were even weaker than usual and we discovered KB7DX was still on his dummy load -- and most probably given
the band and time we were right in the NVIS window so even whatever was leaking was enough to make the connection.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top