Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2019 9:02:23 PM EDT
So I got a 12.5” Grendel upper to use for hunting, tossed a decent 3-9x40 on it and it was great at the range and in an open field.  BUT, where I do a lot of hunting is thick and I struggled with finding my target with the 3x and limited FOV. Looking for your experiences hunting with LPV in dense shaded areas.  How is light transmission?  Any recommendations or suggestions to stay away from?
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Put a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 on it and call it good.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 on it and call it good.
View Quote
Have you used that scope in the woods/low light?
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:38:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I personally would go with something illuminated in a 1-6, 1-8, or a 2-10. For thick brush or an over grown cut over you want the lowest level of optical zoom you can get for CQ shots using it like a red dot. At the same sense it is a grendel I would want as much optical zoom if you get the chance to some more open land hunting. I'm a big fan of the Burris XTR II, Vortex PST gen 1 or 2, and the Sig Whiskey 5 line of scopes. Trijicon Accupower or Accupoint are both very nice scopes, I'm just not a big fan of their warranty. Vortex also has the Strike Eagle line. It didn't look bad when viewing through it at the store, but I've heard a lot of mix reviews about them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m out on the Strike Eagle for sure-I don’t like the reticle at all.  Thought about trying the PA 1-8, but I’m not sure.  I’m worried about light transmission with the small objective
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 2:06:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a  PA 1-4 1st gen on an Adams Arms upper. PA is not bad for the price, I'd like to look through a 1-8 myself by them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Man, I think the best bet would be the Burris 1.5-6

It has a larger objective than most LPVO's and yet has a similar recticle, and the 1.5 isn't terrible for close up shooting.

I have used it in some carbine training, and still prefer a true 1x

I use the strike eagle for competition shooting and love it because I know how to use the hashes, and don't like illumination
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:19:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Burris is claiming the XTR ii series is a true 1 power. A 1-5 just sold earlier today on Ebay for $355.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I've hunted deer for on to several decades.  this is woods and small fields hunting.  most shots have been in the 80-120 yard range, with occasional shots close as 4 yards, far as about 200...

I am totally sold on low power variables.  6x is plenty for any under-300 shot.  however the 1 or 1.5x is very useful in close.  my fav is a 1.5 to 6x...  1.5-5, 2-7 works good too....

as for low light:  I've done well with leupold vx3 series. I've got vx6, but its heavy.  a short range deer gun doesn't need a 20 ounce scope...

ideal choices are leupold vx3 1.5-5x, 2.5-8x, weaver grand slam 2-8x.  unfortunately leupold discontinued its 1.75-6x.   it was the perfect deer scope for woods
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a primary arms 1-6 with their kiss reticle on my muzzleloader. I'm in the process of building a 12" Grendel also and it will probably get the same scope. Great option for the money, crisply etched reticle, great illumination, clear glass and not crazy expensive.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a gen 1 Burris XTR14, it is a decent option.
Current sbr hunting gun has a vortex crossfire 2, if you like an illuminated center dot and duplex reticle. Pretty good light transmission.
Leupold scopes with the fire dot are also nice.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 12:41:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a gen 1 Burris XTR14, it is a decent option.
Current sbr hunting gun has a vortex crossfire 2, if you like an illuminated center dot and duplex reticle. Pretty good light transmission.
Leupold scopes with the fire dot are also nice.
View Quote
I have a Leupold 1-4x20 with the Turkey plex on my Turkey gun. It's a very nice scope, but it's no where close to a true 1 power. I shoot with both eyes open so it somewhat messes with me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Ordered a PA 1-8
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#13]
PA/Vortex Strike Eagles are built around crappy commy glass.  That's fine if you have great light, but if you're in thick cover or near dusk/dawn, they are garbage.  The 1-8s are worse than the 1-6s, as when you turn up the power, the image degrades.

I carry a PA 1-6 in my truck gun, I love the reticle and like the scope.  But I've found that when hunting I have to turn it down to 3 power or lower in low light.  At 6 power I can see better with my naked eyes.  I try not to carry that rifle if it's going to be early or late.

IOW, all 6 power scopes aren't the same.  Even a Leupold runs circles around the cheap chicom scopes in low light.  Stepping up to a PA Platinum 1-8 fixes all those problems but gives you a whole nuther set of problems, mainly a stiff weight penalty and seriously lightening your wallet.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I had good luck with a Leupold MultiGun and now have a 1-4 AccuPower. I like em both. The trijicon is heavier, but I hunt in my yard. It was already kind of mentioned, but get the best you can afford and don't worry too much about having huge power. Most of my kills are within 100 yards but I can easily shoot 200+ with the 1-4. Because it's a hunting rig and the crepuscular nature of deer, id err on the side of better light transmission.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top