Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2021 6:19:22 PM EDT
I tried GD to no avail. Thinking maybe it would get non tractor specific exposure...

I have a John Deere 4400 compact tractor with a 36 hp 3 cyl yanmar. Its a mechanical pump with an electric fuel cut solinoid. I've isolated my problem to this stupid buried thermistor and ordered a new one (terrible engineering) $8 part takes hours of work.

My question is does anyone make a push/pull mechanical fuel cut conversion or have a diy work around for a yanmar 3 cyl. Like used on older diesels?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Had a John Deede 790 with a Yanmar having the same issue. It would melt the fuel solenoid. Solenoid wasn’t the problem. It was a computer module behind the metal dash below the instrument panel. Don’t recall the price but it was not cheap. Took about 45 minutes to replace. That solenoid took some flexible fingers in a tight spot to replace. Never had a problem with it again until it was stolen.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I searched and couldn’t find a conventional pull to kill device. On mine, the solenoid was bolted to a housing and pushed a plunger which made it impossible to use a pool to kill device.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah old diesel trucks and tractors had a cable that controlled that plunger in the injection pump that blocks fuel from exiting the pump to kill the engine by fuel starvation.

My hope was someone would know of a kit a hack or maybe even that 3 cyl yanmar being used in a pump or something that had a mechanical fuel cut.

My tractor doesn't have a computer.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]
It’s not as much a computer as it is a safety device. It verifies all safety switches are in proper position before allowing the fuel cut-off to work (seat, pto and neutral switches).

I understand how a pull to kill works. I would have tried to fabricate something for the 790 but it was for sale and didn’t want it to be rigged up, bypassing safety switches.

Your 4400 will have a similar device or it wouldn’t be an electric solenoid.

Edit:

I looked up your 4400 and the thermistor part you spoke of and it serves a similar function in that it controls the voltage to the solenoid like my 790 module.

Here is a thread from another site discussing the problem.

https://tractorpoint.com/cgi-bin/tractor/pda_msgByThread.pl?parentnum=162657&bd=john-deere-tractor-review

Left cold because we aren’t supposed to link to other forums.

Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Eh... the part will be here Wednesday or Thursday. I was just trying to find a way to simplify and shtf proof something that is so important to us. Between two properties we have 150 acres. Our tractor is basically a full time machine. At this poing with multiple other re occurring problems I may ride out spring and replace it. Probably with two machines as we have pushed its upper limits for years.

Maybe one larger cab machine to do the heavy lifting and a super simple reliable old work horse. I REALLY regret selling our super M but the money was an offer I couldn't refuse.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Bigger will be better, two would be best. Having a spare is nice.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#7]
So ridiculous they buried it behind the fuse panel which requires you to basically remove all the panels on the machine. Now I have to hope and pray usps actually delivers the part thats already 2 days late??

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top