Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2021 4:27:48 PM EDT
Any issues for long term storeage of jasmine rice?  Regular long grain rice is terrible compared to jasmine and basmati.  Jasmine rice smells and tastes so good.

I am loading up more mylar bags of stuff and wanted to put that in.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I vacuum sealed my stored rice/beans and other staples in quart Mason/Ball pressure canning jars with the jar attachment to my food sealer... easily store under my bed in the original cardboard boxes the jars came in...rodent proof, and gives me containers to use with my All American pressure canner if needed
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#2]
A few years ago I bought a bunch of Jasmine rice that I found for a great price.  I ended up storing it in bulk in a couple of five gallon military water containers.  I put the rice in the containers, filling it about 90% full, then I added dry ice and put the lids on, leaving them slightly loose to relieve pressure.  The dry ice sublimated and being denser than air settled to the bottom of the container and in time replaced all the oxygen (no oxygen, no bugs) with carbon dioxide.  I opened the lids about an hour into the process and seeing the dry ice gone tightened the lids.  The rice stayed fresh and tasty for the next year and a half that it took to use it all.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#3]
when I looked into this I read that you can't really use brown rice because the oils go rancid. I don't remember if the same is true with jasmine but I went with white rice since it's a known long term survivor. You can freeze veggie oil and it will last a good while, so if you cook the rice back up with that it's pretty good.

My long term shit is basically EOTW insurance. I really don't think I'll be breaking into my "Society has been down for 10 years" rice stores. I imagine at that point we're either back to producing stuff on our own/as society or we're dead.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:46:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I have not proof this matters, but I am careful to check my sources for rice.  Most of the available jasmine and basmati around here is product of Indian or Thailand.  I'm not sure that's a good idea.  When I look, I can find basmati that is product of USA.  That's the stuff I buy.  I have noted a difference in packaging.  A lot of the import is either cloth bags or plastic bags that are 'woven', much like a cheapassed Harbor Frieght tarp.  I'm not convinced its great.  I look specifically for heavy weight sealed plastic.  Give it a squeeze?  Doe it 'hold' tire pressure?  

If you want an assured long term low fuss storage item, give parboiled rice a try too.  Its not basmati or jasmine, but I find it preferable to regular old long grain.  And the process of parboil assuredly kills any bugs.  I buy this stuff a lot.

Decent quality rice, in a decent quality bag, can be thrown on the shelf and forgotten.  It stores fine.  Cheapassed rice I cheap assed bags require a lot of processing
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Wild, Jasmine, Basmati, white....All can be stored without issue. Brown rice is the only no go for long term.

Many people on here appear to overcomplicate this process as well. Select your rice, select your mylar bag size and thickness (5m + and 7+ for pasta), push air out of the bag, drop in an appropriate sized o2 absorber and youre done.

"But the bugs". O2 absorbers replace the air with nitrogen. Find me a bug that survives in nitrogen.....
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... I read that you can't really use brown rice because the oils go rancid...
View Quote
I have a couple buckets of brown rice in a freezer. I figure that its shelf-life won't really begin until I take it out. I'll let you know some day.

We have discovered that many foods will last way past their expiration or best-by dates.

We are eating 11-year-old white rice now that we had stored in buckets in the basement, and we can't distinguish it from fresh.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... Select your rice, select your mylar bag size and thickness (5m + and 7+ for pasta), push air out of the bag, drop in an appropriate sized o2 absorber and youre done.

"But the bugs". O2 absorbers replace the air with nitrogen. Find me a bug that survives in nitrogen.....
View Quote
Our problem was more mice than bugs. They chewed little holes in most of our mylar bags. We learned the hard way that you need protection from mice and bugs. Now we store our mylar bags in big aluminum military-surplus chests.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:26:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I recently tried some jasmine rice that I stored in mylar with O2 absorbers for about 10 years. It was "fine" but had lost the flavor that made it so desirable. It tasted like plain white rice.  As a result, I won't pay the extra for jasmine for long term storage
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top