Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2020 9:44:28 AM EDT
All discussions of ethics aside, can coyotes be killed by mixing Portland cement with lard?

I recently heard that. Apparently the lard won't react with the Portland but the moisture in the coyote will.

It seems crazy and I thought the guy was full of BS but thinking about it there seems to be just enough likelihood of truth that I thought to ask here.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#1]
That just seems cruel.  even to a yote
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. I would think it wouldn't as stomach acid is not the same as water.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted: I would think it wouldn't as stomach acid is not the same as water.
View Quote

Acid is used as a retarder, in cement production. hile it may delay the inevitable, I don't see it stopping it.

However, not sure if the yote will either eat a large enough dose of cement or have enough moisture to solidify a chunk that will stop them up.

Still, just shoot the darn thing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I'b be more concerned about non targeted species, I've got deer that come in that might find the lard.  Same thing with poison, it can't tell the difference between a coyote or a deer.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'b be more concerned about non targeted species, I've got deer that come in that might find the lard.  Same thing with poison, it can't tell the difference between a coyote or a deer.
View Quote

If I understood this guy's explanation non scavenger species aren't interested in the lard... he was saying it's the modern "poison" that doesn't harm scavengers that feed on the carcass.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If I understood this guy's explanation non scavenger species aren't interested in the lard... he was saying it's the modern "poison" that doesn't harm scavengers that feed on the carcass.
View Quote

Name a North American mammal that eats meat but is not a scavenger.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree.
I don't like coyote, but I don't hate them enough to want to give them a slow painful death and risk killing innocent animals as well.
Birds and squirrel also eat lard and I like having them around.
SJC
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Went prairie dog shooting a few years ago. There they use rifles to keep the population down and they also use poisoned grain. Here is the list of animals I saw in the wild.
1. Ground Owls
2. Jack Rabbits
3. Prairie dogs
4. Rattle Snakes
That's about it. No raptors song birds nothing! The kill em all method is an ecological nightmare!
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I agree.
I don't like coyote, but I don't hate them enough to want to give them a slow painful death and risk killing innocent animals as well.
Birds and squirrel also eat lard and I like having them around.
SJC
View Quote

Like I said in the OP, ethical issues aside. If you want to discuss ethics it opens up a whole can of worms. I started the thread to answer my curiosity to know if the guy is FOS or not...

All the following is merely to prove my point, don't answer the questions and derail the thread.

Do you use poisons for mice? Some do, some don't... if so, why mice and not coyotes? Talk about slow suffering, what about glue traps for mice? What makes mice less deserving of respect?

What about insect problems? Do you treat them? Spray? Organic deterrents?

Where do you start and stop?

End of rhetorical questions... like I said, don't answer, I'm not looking for a debate on ethics. I was looking for academic information in regards to the truthfulness... was mostly wondering if anyone else had heard similar. If it really was true/effective it certainly would be more widely known.

In regards to liking coyotes, it has nothing to do with liking them or not. I've killed 34 on my 50 acres in just over a year and there are just as many still out there...

Link Posted: 4/5/2020 11:11:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have seen deer, racoons, cats, skunks, raptors and possums go after lard and suet and that big ring of fat off prime rib.

Not sure if I would trust the rest of his 'learnin' neither.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top