Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2020 3:55:50 AM EDT
I am new to the concept of Ham radios, but I am wondering if an idea I have is even remotely possible:

Using a handheld radio of some type, I would like to be able to either Bluetooth, or directly connect it to a very small computer or a tablet and send out small data packets of text that will be received by a similar set up.   The range could be up to 200 miles.   Is this possible, and what would it take?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Not with handheld but we do this all the time with HF radios and frequencies.

No IP connections like you might be thinking of but definitely data..

Look up "HF radio digital modes"

There's quite a bit involved in making it work its not magic like the internet.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#2]
It is possible, but probably not with the constraints and conditions you are expecting to hear.

1. The absolute easiest way is to buy a couple of Garmin inReach satellite text messaging devices. Smallest and lightest solution. No training, no licensing, as easy to use as your cell phone. Uses all your cell phone charging accessories. Capital outlay is less than for ham radio. There is a monthly service charge, like a cell phone. It will work under any conditions short of TEOTWAWKI.

2. If, and that's a big IF, you want to operate in an area serviced by an appropriate system of linked ham radio repeater sites, then you can literally do this with a pair of handheld radios. Capital outlay for good radios will be the same, or more, than the Garmins. Training and licensing is required. Only non-commercial messages can be passed. Overall equipment burden is much larger, heavier and more complex than the Garmin. The linked repeaters sites, which generally rely on the internet, will not be as robust during SHTF or bad weaather compared to the satellite network.

3. HF radio. The most largest, heaviest and most complex option. Requires training and licensing. A radio like the Elecraft KX2 is "handheld", but it requires a large wire antenna to work efficiently, so you have to drag that along and set it up. Advantage: it requires absolutely no other infrastructure. No satellites, no repeaters. Disadvantages (beyond those already mentioned): it will NOT work 100% of the time no matter how good an operator or how good an antenna you have, especially at the low power levels available in something like the KX2. The reason is because the ionosphere is not always in a proper condition to bounce those HF radio waves the way you want to bounce them.

Choose your weapon...
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is possible, but probably not with the constraints and conditions you are expecting to hear.

1. The absolute easiest way is to buy a couple of Garmin inReach satellite text messaging devices. Smallest and lightest solution. No training, no licensing, as easy to use as your cell phone. Uses all your cell phone charging accessories. Capital outlay is less than for ham radio. There is a monthly service charge, like a cell phone. It will work under any conditions short of TEOTWAWKI.

2. If, and that's a big IF, you want to operate in an area serviced by an appropriate system of linked ham radio repeater sites, then you can literally do this with a pair of handheld radios. Capital outlay for good radios will be the same, or more, than the Garmins. Training and licensing is required. Only non-commercial messages can be passed. Overall equipment burden is much larger, heavier and more complex than the Garmin. The linked repeaters sites, which generally rely on the internet, will not be as robust during SHTF or bad weaather compared to the satellite network.

3. HF radio. The most largest, heaviest and most complex option. Requires training and licensing. A radio like the Elecraft KX2 is "handheld", but it requires a large wire antenna to work efficiently, so you have to drag that along and set it up. Advantage: it requires absolutely no other infrastructure. No satellites, no repeaters. Disadvantages (beyond those already mentioned): it will NOT work 100% of the time no matter how good an operator or how good an antenna you have, especially at the low power levels available in something like the KX2. The reason is because the ionosphere is not always in a proper condition to bounce those HF radio waves the way you want to bounce them.

Choose your weapon...
View Quote
Option 1 and 2 require the internet so I didn't really concider them. After re reading the OP I guess he wasn't excluding the internet like I thought.

Regarding option 2, can you actually transmit data over internet linked repeaters? I never got into echolink or dmr but I thought they were mainly voice. Can you send data accross those networks using radios as "modems" on the endpoints?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Option one does not require the internet. For option two data is sent as audio signals anyways so it doesn't matter if it's voice or data.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:13:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Its possible, small portable HF setup could do it. Now doing it reliable at all times of the day or night. Thats a whole different thing.

Or VHF with a Digipeter network may also work. The thing is you never really know until you try. That is what ham radio is about, experimentation and testing.

But in order to test these kind of things and running enough power they make you get a license to understand radio waves and propogation methods. Also to keep from causing interference with other services.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#6]
As was mentioned already, 200 miles from a handheld is generally not going to happen.  However there are digital modes like APRE that will pass the traffic from one node to another so longer range is possible.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#7]
here are several videos doing somewhat of what you are looking for. Hope one of these helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_8ehBKQZLo&list=LLYMdDrvxjwteivTna9C4pww&index=426&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLLttdvIfDU&list=LLYMdDrvxjwteivTna9C4pww&index=1260&t=259s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtvtWL3_prA&list=LLYMdDrvxjwteivTna9C4pww&index=979&t=0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a63PY74mEYw&list=LLYMdDrvxjwteivTna9C4pww&index=575&t=0s
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Its possible, small portable HF setup could do it. Now doing it reliable at all times of the day or night. Thats a whole different thing.

Or VHF with a Digipeter network may also work. The thing is you never really know until you try. That is what ham radio is about, experimentation and testing.

But in order to test these kind of things and running enough power they make you get a license to understand radio waves and propogation methods. Also to keep from causing interference with other services.
View Quote
That happened to me via APRS from a friend in Spartanburg SC (Baofeng and Mobilinkd Bluetooth TNC) to my Mobile (TMV71a with Mobilinkd TNC3) while crossing the NC/VA border.....once.

It's all dependent on the "network" between the 2 stations...

Since you're new, I may as well shill this link
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Along this same line are any of you guys familiar a protocol for exchanging small files over HF? Think FTP optimized for the low speeds of an HF link. Somthing that could handle a small pdf or other file.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Along this same line are any of you guys familiar a protocol for exchanging small files over HF? Think FTP optimized for the low speeds of an HF link. Somthing that could handle a small pdf or other file.
View Quote
I know Pictures have been done for years with SSTV and email can be sent. I have never tried with an attachment. I know with even a short email it can take over 10 minutes with like 2 lines of text because of band conditions and FEC working to make sure all the packets got there correctly. Im sure with some of the Pactor, Not sure that juice is worth the Squeeze.

Moving up in frequency and knowing propagation it could be done. Wider modes are available as you move up in frequency. I currently have a mesh setup on the 5Ghz ham spectrum that we have established real world speed of 400Mbs at around 1Km. I have worked in the 2.4Ghz section on a 48Mbs at 15.6Km from 1 city to another. All on the ham bands.

ETA: Getting ready to experiment with a 60Ghz link that should net 1Gbs at 1km
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm thinking the guys in AMRRON (JJS Radio Free Redoubt) did some exercises with a particular mode via FLDigi and sent/decoded pictures.  Sorry it's been a long time since.

ahhhhhhhhhh, Google: Link
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#12]
You always could convert the file to base64 and send it as text then reconvert it back to a file.  Depending on the mode and band it could be horribly fast however.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Moving up in frequency and knowing propagation it could be done. Wider modes are available as you move up in frequency. I currently have a mesh setup on the 5Ghz ham spectrum that we have established real world speed of 400Mbs at around 1Km. I have worked in the 2.4Ghz section on a 48Mbs at 15.6Km from 1 city to another. All on the ham bands.
View Quote
I'd like to see some of those TV whitespace networking systems on the 420 ATV channels with higher power.

What OP wants to do might be easiest to do with APRS messaging, but whether it's possible depends on the local infrastructure.

Could always build out a packet system to do what you want. If you have specific points in mind a fixed link might not be too hard to set up depending on terrain. If you don't have mountains in the way you could cover 200 miles pretty readily with 2m SSB and something like JS8call.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
You can use a program called FLARQ in conjunction with FLDIGI to do this.

http://www.w1hkj.com/files/fldigi/flarq-help.pdf
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you very much for the incredibly detailed replies.   My intention was to be able to communicate from Western Washington (where I live) to my family in Eastern Washington in the event cellphone/internet/power goes down.

A few questions:

I am looking into the Garmin inReach, and my question is when you send a message from your handheld garmin device, does the recipient of the message have to have cell phone or internet service?  Or is it possible to send messages from one satellite device to a receiving satellite device without any network connections?  I was unable to find that information on google.

When looking into Ham repeaters (I know this is on a very case by case basis and one answer generally won’t fit all situations, but please entertain me with a broad general answer).  When trying to hopefully find a repeater network across my state, is APRS capable to sending data through a standard repeater system or does each repeater have to be specifically programmed for APRS traffic?

and do those repeating systems typically rely on some sort of internet connection to remain operable?   I am looking at a worst possible grid down situation.

Once again, thank you for the replies
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#16]
APRS is independent of the repeater system, although some of the Digipeaters may share space on the towers of repeaters (one of mine does). APRS is primarily a user-end operation...that is the wrong way to say that most digipeaters are located at Ham homes across the globe (and in our vehicles).  
I've spent the last 7+ years working with locals to finally get some decent traction here in Upstate SC for the protoco, it's been an uphill challengel.  
You can see what's happening in your AO by viewing sites like www aprs.fi or www.aprsdirect.com and searching by zip code.
Here is another potentially helpful link.

**Anything Ham Radio related will require licensed hams on each end**
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thank you very much for the incredibly detailed replies.   My intention was to be able to communicate from Western Washington (where I live) to my family in Eastern Washington in the event cellphone/internet/power goes down.

A few questions:

I am looking into the Garmin inReach, and my question is when you send a message from your handheld garmin device, does the recipient of the message have to have cell phone or internet service?  Or is it possible to send messages from one satellite device to a receiving satellite device without any network connections?  I was unable to find that information on google.

When looking into Ham repeaters (I know this is on a very case by case basis and one answer generally won’t fit all situations, but please entertain me with a broad general answer).  When trying to hopefully find a repeater network across my state, is APRS capable to sending data through a standard repeater system or does each repeater have to be specifically programmed for APRS traffic?

and do those repeating systems typically rely on some sort of internet connection to remain operable?   I am looking at a worst possible grid down situation.

Once again, thank you for the replies
View Quote
Worst case scenario? You want to assume any infrastructure/repeaters/satillite/internet is unavailable.

Whatever you want to do must be constrained to stuff you can deploy locally on both ends.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’m going to clarify this since OP may read in to it more than intended.

If you (OP) have a ham radio license, you can transmit and anyone with the right gear can receive.  So you could theoretically set things up such that your family could receive messages from you.  However, it would be illegal for them to transmit a reply.

There are edge cases, winlink, for example which could be used to communicate both ways.  But that’s not a handheld as you (OP) specified. And depends on internet and email service on their end.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you (OP) have a ham radio license, you can transmit and anyone with the right gear can receive.  So you could theoretically set things up such that your family could receive messages from you.  However, it would be illegal for them to transmit a reply.

There are edge cases, winlink, for example which could be used to communicate both ways.  But that’s not a handheld as you (OP) specified. And depends on internet and email service on their end.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And anything to do this distance won't just be a simple box that someone can just pull out and use.  It has to be exercised regularly so people know how to work it when its needed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
You can send a message from inReach to inReach. The Google search is trivially easy, search on "inReach to inReach messaging".

Pay no attention to those who poo poo satellite messaging. There has not yet been a disaster or SHTF scenario where this did not work good enough to get a message through in just a few minutes. Plus you can easily communicate with people who are outside the affected area via their cell phones and email. People who will refuse to train or get licenses.

If you want to prep for TEOTWAWKI, consider that comm's are well down the list of things you need.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:04:09 PM EDT
[#21]
OP, the InReach does not require any internet access. If you want some more info research the Iridium satellite network as that's what it runs off of.

I carry a Mini in my EDC bag. They are intended to be used in the middle of nowhere where nothing else really works. You can message device to device via the sat network. You don't even need a phone handy. Granted on the mini that's more difficult to do because no keyboard.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:38:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I carry a Mini in my EDC bag. They are intended to be used in the middle of nowhere where nothing else really works. You can message device to device via the sat network. You don't even need a phone handy. Granted on the mini that's more difficult to do because no keyboard.
View Quote
Not that it would replace a sat phone, but in the amateur world I think it would be a game-changer for APRS messaging if someone would make an HT-type device with a full keyboard and built-in APRS, so that "text messaging" in the way people think of it would be handy.

If OP truly wants a no-infrastruture option to get over the Cascades, they will need a General class licensee at each end, with an HF radio and low height dipole for 80/60/40 meters (the so-called "NVIS" propagation mode), along with the knowledge and experience to use amateur HF bands.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:23:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not that it would replace a sat phone, but in the amateur world I think it would be a game-changer for APRS messaging if someone would make an HT-type device with a full keyboard and built-in APRS, so that "text messaging" in the way people think of it would be handy.

If OP truly wants a no-infrastruture option to get over the Cascades, they will need a General class licensee at each end, with an HF radio and low height dipole for 80/60/40 meters (the so-called "NVIS" propagation mode), along with the knowledge and experience to use amateur HF bands.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. A APRS device like that would be pretty interesting.

My Inreach is something I gladly pay for and hope to never have to use. My parents keep one in their car as well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
While not an HT, my mobile Yaesu 400XDR has Bluetooth capability to use a Bluetooth keyboard for APRS messages. Beats trying to pound out messages with a stylus on my FT2dr.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

While not an HT, my mobile Yaesu 400XDR has Bluetooth capability to use a Bluetooth keyboard for APRS messages. Beats trying to pound out messages with a stylus on my FT2dr.
View Quote

I did not know that.........now to try for myself!  (pecking on the display isn't fun either, but it's nice to have preloaded messages avail!) tnx Ed!
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Hell - i'm going to go pull my ft3dr out and plug a keyboard into it to see what happens.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hell - i'm going to go pull my ft3dr out and plug a keyboard into it to see what happens.
View Quote
The Kenwood TH-D74 ht has Bluetooth capability and according to Yaesus' website the FT3DR is Bluetooth as well.

ETA: you can also link others HT't with http://www.mobilinkd.com/tnc2/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top