Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2020 10:11:45 AM EDT
I was driving on the MN-WI border this morning. Had my 2m mobile tuned to the active repeater in my AO, and all of a sudden a net started that I have never heard before. It was coming in 9/5.

He announced the location of the net.

Aberdeen South Dakota.

Thats a 300 mile 2m skip this morning!!!

A few of us got into their log for the net.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was driving on the MN-WI border this morning. Had my 2m mobile tuned to the active repeater in my AO, and all of a sudden a net started that I have never heard before. It was coming in 9/5.

He announced the location of the net.

Aberdeen South Dakota.

Thats a 300 mile 2m skip this morning!!!

A few of us got into their log for the net.
View Quote
Tropospheric ducting?
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tropospheric ducting?
View Quote

I dunno but for 2m to reach out 300 miles is not something you see everyday.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice!
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Last week a guy was talking into one of my local 2m repeaters in NE Ohio from his car running a 25 watt radio and a simple quarter-wave ground plane whip from Skyline drive in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.  It's not a linked system, so it was a direct ~225 mile haul.  These types of brief VHF propagation spikes can be exciting.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I routinely get VA, NC, FL, AR, OK nets on the 70cm repeaters around San Diego
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Very likely linked repeaters in your case, especially considering where you are with the WIN system, it's a very popular linked repeater network across CA and with many other users linked in from all over over IRLP and AllStar.

http://www.winsystem.org/repeaters/
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I know that's the issue here, and I bet it is his issue too.

Yesterday I learned the dmr signals I'm getting are from linked repeaters also
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#8]
DMR propagation has been awesome lately
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know that's the issue here, and I bet it is his issue too.

Yesterday I learned the dmr signals I'm getting are from linked repeaters also
View Quote

After about 5 minutes we could no longer pick up any significant signal.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

After about 5 minutes we could no longer pick up any significant signal.
View Quote

oh, well that's different.  it's pretty cool though. Wonder if you could have thrown a signal back at them?
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Tropo is fun!
Keep your ears open this weekend. Theres a cold front making its way across the planes and usually right afterwards things open up.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tropo is fun!
Keep your ears open this weekend. Theres a cold front making its way across the planes and usually right afterwards things open up.
View Quote

I'm picking Europe up on 20 really well, but my output is smol
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

oh, well that's different.  it's pretty cool though. Wonder if you could have thrown a signal back at them?
View Quote

There was three of us that were able to get into their repeater and get into their net book.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Map that shows what 2 meter openings are happening.
http://aprs.mennolink.org/
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I heard 270mil ducting on 146.520 a while back.  Couple guys closer could actually talk to the guy.  It was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#16]
HF has been goofy too.  I picked up 3 new states this week on CW.  California and Oregon in the middle of the afternoon from KY in my truck.  That’s not normal for me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

Looks like you're in some 2m tropo this morning (but we knew that already).
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#18]
People tend to misuse the word "skip".

Like all words, it has a definite meaning in the amateur community, namely a signal that bounces off of something in order to reach the receiver.

There are other modes of propagation which manifest on VHF and UHF which are not, and do not "skip".

Thanks for the map, 762. (where did you find it?)
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
HF has been goofy too.  I picked up 3 new states this week on CW.  California and Oregon in the middle of the afternoon from KY in my truck.  That’s not normal for me.
View Quote

@KD5TXX

are you doing CW while mobile ?

Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Like all words, it has a definite meaning in the amateur community, namely a signal that bounces off of something in order to reach the receiver.

There are other modes of propagation which manifest on VHF and UHF which are not, and do not "skip".

View Quote

http://aprs.mennolink.org

It aggregates APRS traffic reports from internet linked nodes and estimates coverage areas of enhanced propagation.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It aggregates APRS traffic reports from internet linked nodes and estimates coverage areas of enhanced propagation.
View Quote

I wish we had APRS on 6 meters also to allow a similar automated E-skip detection system.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Tnx.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@KD5TXX

are you doing CW while mobile ?

View Quote

I have.  I have a J38 on the center armrest.  I’m not good enough to ragchew while driving.  I can answer a quick Special Event station or SKCC call.  I drive with the radio on a lot to practice receiving, if someone is slow enough I’ll reply.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I wish we had APRS on 6 meters also to allow a similar automated E-skip detection system.
View Quote
Indeed, having plenty of automated stations is what makes that system handy.

One could look at the PSK reporter map for FT8 stations on 6 meters in their area to gage similar performance, but it becomes a chicken or the egg problem, if the band seems down no one will get on FT8, but you might not know its up because not enough people are on to report it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

One could look at the PSK reporter map for FT8 stations on 6 meters in their area to gage similar performance, but it becomes a chicken or the egg problem, if the band seems down no one will get on FT8, but you might not know its up because not enough people are on to report it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish FT8 had a "beacon" mode, where it would transmit once every 10 or 15 minutes or something.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Very likely linked repeaters in your case, especially considering where you are with the WIN system, it's a very popular linked repeater network across CA and with many other users linked in from all over over IRLP and AllStar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I talk on that network all the time.  Cool stuff.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is this one also, tropo forecast:

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_wam.html
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There is this one also, tropo forecast:

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_wam.html
View Quote
Bookmarked ......... thanks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I wish FT8 had a "beacon" mode, where it would transmit once every 10 or 15 minutes or something.
View Quote

I tool around the bands and send out CQ from time to time on random bands, seems to get picked up in places like pskreporter.info
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top