Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2021 5:03:22 PM EDT
So the wife and I are going to Seattle and Portland to do some hiking and outdoor activities. Expectations are Olympic National Forest, Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, etc. I want to bring bear spray for obvious reasons. Cannot take it in checked luggage - I am limited to 4oz or less of OC by TSA/FAA regulations. Shipping myself a cannister of bear spray is going to be hassel, and looking online folks regularly order some and ship it to their destination for pickup. Virtually anywhere else in the US - its 2 day prime shipping from amazon for any number of brands. To the Seattle Portland area its a week to 10 days even with Prime. Only reason given is"composition of materials" I am not a tin foil hat kind of guy, but I imagine the civil unrest/riots in that area have something to do with that? How difficult would it be for me to walk in to a sporting goods store out there and get some - given the issue with amazon, I suspect some stores are out of stock out there as well? Might now be worth it to UPS myself some.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Bear Spray is cheap less than $50.00. Buy a can after you land and ditch it when you leave. Or, buy on line at Bass Pro Shops, and pick it up at Bass Pro Shops Tacoma,
7905 S Hosmer St, Tacoma, WA 98408
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#2]
You can literally walk into any outdoor or sporting goods store here and buy some.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can literally walk into any outdoor or sporting goods store here and buy some.
View Quote

Good to know. That was going to be my plan before I started over thinking it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Just so you know bear spray is less effective then regular OC/CS that you can buy at Walmart.

Been hit with both and tell the bear spray was way less effective! Bears have a higher sense of smell so they don't need as much of the effective ingredient as humans do.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:17:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Fun story;

I used to live in Alaska. My parents wanted to come visit and do some camping and exploring around Alaska.

I advised them to buy some bear spray and keep it in their tent or with them while they were hiking, which they did- sort of.

When they were leaving, prior to their flight, my folks gave me the bear spray since they couldn’t take it on their flight. Still in the childproof blister packaging.

Had they needed it, they would have first needed to get a knife or scissors to open the package. [facepalm]

Just glad they didn’t need it.

OP: Walmart, REI, sporting goods stores etc will have bear spray. Pick it up, keep it with you, then donate it to the last park you visit prior to leaving: they often maintain some to loan to visitors.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#6]
There are several Sportsman's Warehouse stores in Oregon that can sell you what your need.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Call a few days before and ask to pay over the phone to reserve it for your arrival date.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy it there, and then water the hippies before they leave.

Link Posted: 7/6/2021 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Bears are not typically a problem in Western WA, especially around the popular trails you mention.  The last bear attack I remember was about a decade ago and was in a suburban neighborhood on trash night.

I'm going to suggest you skip it.  I know I know, we prepare for the atypical, but there are thousands of hikers crawling all over the Cascades, Olympics, and the National Parks and I would estimate that 95% or more are totally unarmed.  It isn't a problem unless you plan to depart the trail system and hike cross-county to some destination (and I could suggest a great one).  I've hiked sans-trails into the Wonder Mountain Wilderness a few times, and bagged Mt O'Neil (near Mt Colonel Bob) once, as well as some other off-trail dayhikes and overnighters- many of them completely unarmed, or with a G20SF.  I've had bears come into the camp, seen scat so fresh it made me look around nervously, but the bears tend to avoid people (I'm sure it has nothing to do with how sweaty/stinky I get hiking in the summer).  Be careful approaching streams where they can't hear you coming.  

Make sure you have a decent water filter so you don't have to carry all your water needs for the day.  Far more important than bear spray.

If you really feel you need bear spray, walmart, Sportsman's, Bass Pro, or REI will all have it.  

Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, where are you staying? I have seen some AirBnB type rentals in bear country that will loan you a can as long as you pay a deposit. That might be a possibility.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top