Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2022 4:29:42 PM EDT
Walton feed website says their new pails are 170 dollars and the shelf life is 15 years.  My buckets are close to 30 years old.

What would you do..
1. Try it?
2.  toss it.
3.   leave it until the day comes when I need it?
4.  ???

My better guess is to pop a pail and try it...but I hate to waste it now. 6 gl super pails.  Are there any fears that come with trying / consuming this?
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don't need it then let it sit.

Someone wrote that they find it good for use in baking.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#2]
kind of my thinking as well, but I read a few sites that say if it is rancid that it can introduce a plethora of bad reactions...

I have been buying fresh #10 can for awhile here and there.  Just curious what I should do because I could use the pails and space for other things.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#3]
You could always try one and seal it back up if the quality was acceptable.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 3:48:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Open the bucket up and try some and if it's still good throw them in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers and reseal them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Open one bucket, use if it smells good, toss if rancid, replace.  I wouldn't do all at once either, rotate through them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Alternatively, and I say this hating to throw away food, that comes to an average of just over 5 bucks a year for a bucket to sit on your shelf for 30 years. You could just pitch them and buy fresh replacements. I've tossed MRE trays before because at some point, it was worth the peace of mind so I'll just "start fresh" as it were.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top