Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2022 4:43:28 PM EDT
I was forced to get a new minivan at the absolute worst time possible.  It is the most driven vehicle in our house  - does the daily running around and the long trips.
As we had more kids, I took on the car maintenance myself to help save money.  I do all of the fluid changes, plugs, filters and the brakes - everything else gets a professional.

Besides the car getting totaled, is there any risk in getting all of these materials now?  Example - buy the next 20 oil changes, wiper blades, tranny flushes, coolant, brakes, rotors and plugs?  I could see wiper blade rubber getting stiff over time much like tires but perhaps I'm wrong.  The other items seem rather inert and stable.  With the pace of inflation, it seems like a better deal than putting my money into savings.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems kinda pointless to me.     All the things I need to maintain my 20 year old daily driver with 186,000 miles are easily located and I have numerous brand and quality level choices.

Total up one year of routine automotive maintenance cost, and then total up one year of household food cost.  

Where is the greatest saving potential by buying in bulk ?
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I buy a lot of car parts on Rockauto.  Saves me a ton of money.  I buy things like filters in bulk for everything I own that needs them.  Save at LEAST 50% compared to buying locally even with shipping.  The thing about Rockauto is, check where it's shipping from.  They have something like 3 warehouses so if you can order everything from one warehouse, you'll save money.  

I think some things are worth buying in bulk but some things, I just bite the bullet and buy as needed.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 3 to 12 filters on hand per vehicle & farm equipment - depending on how often they get changed, along with 6 or 8 cases of oil and also keep an unopened drum of hydraulic oil and an unopened drum of diesel engine oil.  If I loose a vehicle, the only thing I may not have a use for are a few wix filters for that vehicle.  I really don't think there is much of a downside.  I live rural, and if I needed a filter I didn't have it could easily be a 2 hour round trip to get one - if it was in stock.  

In my case, it is not only the issue of potentially not being able to get one, but the daylight hours I would be wasting going to get it if I need it now and don't have it on hand.

I guess I could try to consider it an inflation hedge, but since I try to replace things as I use them, I can't really call it that.  If that drum of hydraulic oil gets opened, another one gets ordered.  The oil may be high at the time, but I need to keep in mind what it may cost me in time or product if I break a line and need a tank topped off - when I don't have it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 3:17:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I like to keep a healthy assortment of spare parts in my trunk, not as some sort of hedge against inflation but in case something breaks while I'm away from civilization; I treat it like a ship having the parts necessary to get back to port. I don't think there's much of a financial hedge to be had compared to something like silver or ammunition, but it's a wise thing to have on hand regardless because shit happens and sometimes you're not in a position to go fetch the parts from a store in order to remedy it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 6:58:00 AM EDT
[#5]
You might get best anti inflation results if you act like it is a stock up the pantry exercise.

Example

Once at the grocery store I observed pasta on clearance for $0.10 per pound.  I had minions to feed so I bought all I could and used it up over time.

I have been able to do likewise with motor oil on occasion over years.
-Gas station going out of business...I bought all the oil I could at $0.10 a quart that day then worked my way through that stash over the next couple years.
-Latest was Walmart clearance of some synthetic motor oil back in 2019 or 2018.  Bought all I could again and have not had to buy any oil of that type since then.

Doing this has some weaknesses.
-Motor oil requirements do change sometimes.  I got 5-30 which would do for every vehicle in the house at that time.  Now I gotta have 0-20 for one and V-Twin for another

So sure if you get a chance to buy car care items on clearance that fit your car.
FO hard and FO deep all you can afford.
Buy cheap stack deep.

If the stash becomes surplus to you.  Then you can sell it

Happy bargain hunting
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 7:50:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might get best anti inflation results if you act like it is a stock up the pantry exercise.

Example

Once at the grocery store I observed pasta on clearance for $0.10 per pound.  I had minions to feed so I bought all I could and used it up over time.

-Gas station going out of business...I bought all the oil I could at $0.10 a quart that day then worked my way through that stash over the next couple years.
-Latest was Walmart clearance of some synthetic motor oil back in 2019 or 2018.  Bought all I could again and have not had to buy any oil of that type since then.

-Motor oil requirements do change sometimes.  I got 5-30 which would do for every vehicle in the house at that time.  Now I gotta have 0-20 for one and V-Twin for another

So sure if you get a chance to buy car care items on clearance that fit your car.
Buy cheap stack deep.

Happy bargain hunting
View Quote

I take this approach too. When I find consumables I need and it’s a good or even just a decent price, I buy a bunch. For example, I use Rotella T6 oil in all my power sports equipment as well as my diesel tractor. There was a shortage roughly a year ago. I found a local farm store had the 2.5 gallon jugs in stock at about $56 each. Shell was offering a $22 per 2.5 gallon jug rebate at the time so I bought all they had (wasn’t a lot but think I got 4 jugs)  $34 per 2.5 gallon jug is a very good price.

There are some good sales out there and when you find them, spend the money and stock up. I have saved a fair amount of money that way. It’s more expensive up front but saves in the long term.

Given the shortages of today, whenever I buy something I need (small parts and various consumables) if I need one, I order 3. If I need 2, I order 5. I buy thing like electrical repair parts in bulk whenever possible.

In doing so, I spend a little more up front but save money in the end.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 8:10:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I vote no. What if it gets totaled and you end up with something different? All that stuff that’s vehicle specific would be a waste. Same if there’s something catastrophically wrong snd not worth fixing.

Instead put that money in something likely to grow with inflation, like stocks or an Ibond. Won’t beat inflation but will likely keep pace.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Example

Buy cheap stack deep.

Happy bargain hunting
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Example

Buy cheap stack deep.

Happy bargain hunting

Definitely this, but keep the below in mind.

Quoted:
I vote no. What if it gets totaled and you end up with something different? All that stuff that’s vehicle specific would be a waste. Same if there’s something catastrophically wrong snd not worth fixing.

There is truth to this. I use WIX oil filters, they're cheapest from Rock Auto unless you can catch a sale on NAPA Gold (relabeled WIX). I stock these for everything I own. I currently have 3 on the shelf for a car that met an untimely demise. Every dollar I ever saved on filters for that car is tied up in filters on the shelf. OTOH, I have 2 vehicles that take the same filter, I have less reservation about sticking those deep. I got a good deal on a case of WIX filters (IIRC $0.10 each) and I'm still working through that case.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#9]
There are two factors to consider:  Cost and availability.   They aren't necessarily related.

Example:  During WWII, one of the major factors in limiting civilian driving was rubber.  Tires were largely unavailable.  Fuel wasn't the issue as much as replacement tires.  Fast forward to 2022, and we see a supply shortage particularly with regards to motorcycle tires.  I run a fleet of motorcycles, and finding the desired tire has been difficult this summer.  I am finding that I am now buying tires earlier to ensure I have it on hand when it is needed.  This is a response to shortages and supply issues, not inflation.  And there is a hard limit on how far Im willing to stockpile a tire.  On my personal motorcycle, which if sometimes driven "with great enthusiasm", I'll source  and buy new tires six months early (FYI, Avon recommends tire replacement at 7 years beyond manufacture date.  All teh other makers I am aware of say 10 years.  Buying next year's rubber this year won't be an issue....)

In terms of inflation, it could make sense to buy now.  However, you have two 'hidden' costs.  1) Opportunity cost.  You have $1,000.00 tied up in auto parts.  The $1,000 could be better used as cash, used stockpiling more important things (beans, bullets, bandaids), or used as an hedge against emergencies.  2) storage.  If you already have a huge garage or empty basement, have at it.  If you've got to reorganize, start buying shelving, etc, the storage costs you money.

I'll readily stockpile a short term supply.  My tactic is to keep an eye out for sales.  For example, I scored a couple of $45.00 gallon of synthetic motor oil on clearance for $18.00 at Walmart in grades I use.  SCORE!  I bought all four gallons.   But Im not going to ay full retail to stock pile against a perceived inflation risk.  It isn't worth tying up that much money on such a rarely used item.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#11]
A lot of good replies that are in line with my current strategy and thinking.  I wouldn't go too deep with spare auto parts unless they are universal and will work for more than one vehicle.  I use Rotella 15w40 in all my power sports except the ATV I use all winter for plowing so I have no problem getting a couple cases of that on sale.  While I don't necessarily use it in my other things like small engines, wood splitter, generators it would work just fine in those.  I use Napa brand 10w30 in those, and about a year ago I got a couple cases on sale and it was even cheaper than the Rotella.  My mini excavator has Rotella in it right now but next oil change will be Napa or Valvoline (I don't remember) 15w40 heavy duty equipment oil because I got a case of that even cheaper yet.  I have a good amount of other rated oils stacked back because of sales.  Same with filters.  I have two vehicles that use the same one so I have a few more of those than others. For filters that only have one use I feel good with 2-4 on hand.  Like others said if the car, truck or whatever dies however then you are stuck with them.  I know I would not buy new filters from anyone.  

Air filters I keep a spare or two but they last for a while.

Brakes?  I might buy a set of I know I need them in the next few months but that's about it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks all for the good feedback.  I have most of my bases covered in regards to preps including financial.
I stock the universal automotive items pretty deep.  Thankfully all three of my hondas take the same 0w-20 oil and even the same size oil filter.  Both air filters and brakes are a totally different matter.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 2:31:54 AM EDT
[#13]
We just have a spare vehicle, all three paid off.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Unless you live or work in a dirty environment, air filters in cars seldom need replacement. Yes the filter makers want you to replace them often but most filters will last at least 50k and if you drive a lot of highway miles, 100k+.

Brakes also last a long time. I probably wouldn’t stock either.

Oil filters and fluids….definitely. You use plenty of them. Even better if the fluids and filters can be used by multiple vehicles.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Unless you live or work in a dirty environment, air filters in cars seldom need replacement. Yes the filter makers want you to replace them often but most filters will last at least 50k and if you drive a lot of highway miles, 100k+.

Brakes also last a long time. I probably wouldn’t stock either.

Oil filters and fluids….definitely. You use plenty of them. Even better if the fluids and filters can be used by multiple vehicles.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought a case of oil filters for my 2022 F250 and the wife's 2016 Odyssey along with a lot of oil simply because it's only going to become more expensive for said items in the future.

Also bought front and rear brake pads for the F250.  Rock Auto is THE place to go for parts.  Advance Auto wanted about 20 per plug for the Odyssey, amazon was a couple of dollars cheaper, rock auto was 12'ish.  Same damn plugs
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I believe it’s prudent to stock up on supplies for the next service interval or two. The next 20 are almost certainly going to be a waste of money. It's difficult to predict whether you'll even have the same vehicle in a few years. There's also the issue of how much space all of that stuff will take up. Is there a better way to use the space? Without a doubt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top