Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2022 7:33:10 PM EDT
I’ve mostly always fished with spinning reels for catfish but I want to get into a decent bait caster with a bait clicker. I’m wanting to stay around $100 or less, does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#1]
All of my catfish setups have ambassadeurs. I try and find them on ebay, and get a nicer used model vs the cheaper ones.  I have one of the lesser models and its holding up okay.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chadsc:
All of my catfish setups have ambassadeurs. I try and find them on ebay, and get a nicer used model vs the cheaper ones.  I have one of the lesser models and its holding up okay.
View Quote

I do have a swedish made ambassadeur but mine does not have the bait clicker...I wish it did because it's a great reel.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll concur.  Abu 6500 series with the clickers for my bigger cat rods.  I've bought a couple new ones from Fin Feather and Fur, but I find older models in great shape on Ebay pretty often.  I think I'm up to 6 or 7 of them now, and a couple 4500 and 5500s as well.  OP, I see you're in Ohio.  Where do you chase cats?  I'm up by Akron.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:20:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#4]
I have a Penn Squall II star drag - 15CS. I like it a lot
The level wind version is a bit cheaper
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I ended up buy a couple Abu Garcia 6500 ambassadeurs with the bait clicker. Been using them here on my pond for a few months and they have been great so far. I haven't had any chances to get them out on any bigger water. I am 7 miles from the Ohio river and about 5 miles from East Fork lake...grew up fishing the river as a kid from the campground docks. I think next year will be the year I finally commit to buying a boat and really get into some bigger catfish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top