Uniden Bearcat BCD436HP Police Scanner

same as above in hand held package.

Ham Radio 360...All About Scanners

Scanner School Podcast
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#2]
You want a Uniden HomePatrol-2.

Quoted:
The topic of scanners is way over my head. I know when I'm in too deep, and this topic is out of my wheelhouse.

So I decided I want to get a REAL scanner instead of using my phone app. The choices are endless, and I know I  will pick one that will not work. (Encryption, trunking, etc)

Its purpose will be to monitor police/fire/etc.

Areas will be:
Hastings, MI
Portland, OR
Vancouver, WA

And any other station I feel like monitoring.

Is there a decent scanner for around $500 that I can program for these areas? Even with encrypted broadcasts? Maybe even a cheap used "beginner scanner" to learn the ropes before buying a good one?

I would like just getting the gear and running it, and I would like it as a tool for SHTF. (Tornado, riots, wildfire, etc)

Search brough up 1 thread here on ARF, and the Googles show me threads that are all in Greek with the nomenclature everyone uses.

Any help? I need one of those books "Scanner use for Dummies"
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#3]
You do know the radio signals most likely won't be strong enough to cover MI and OR. You will need to be closer to the repeater to receive the actual transmission.  The phone apps scanners are being re broadcast over the internet and not actual radio signals as such.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#4]
NVM
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Scanners scared me too...

Link Posted: 10/8/2020 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do you think $500 is the bare minimum to do what I want?
I was looking at the BCD436HP yesterday. I think this is the one I should get, but figured I would double check.

People also said the SDS100 and 200
View Quote

For ease of use and the price point, the 436 is GTG, wish I'd kept mine

no relays on Scanners, phone app is the only way for that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Encryption is only a taboo subject for absolute cucks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#13]
You probably want this:

https://uniden.com/collections/scanners/products/handheld-trunktracker-v-scanner

I have the older version, and it works well. A bit of warning though, they are complex.
Don't try programming it by hand - you will be there forever. There are programming applications that pull their data from the RadioReference site that make the task much easier.

They are pretty much line of sight, but just about all emergency services use repeater systems (usually P25), and have lots of linked repeaters covering a wide area, so listening to anything in the area is pretty easy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I would beware of the pre-programmed radios. The channels used get swapper around/modified pretty frequently.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd got with the SDS100. It's the most up-to-date scanner when it comes to design (it will actually handle simulcast without distorting).

So Hastings...uses a P25 Phase 1 trunking system. Portland...uses a P25 Phase 1 trunking system. Vancouver...uses Motorola SmartNet (Type II) trunking system which is EOL and they are migrating to a P25 Phase 2 system but I bet there will be an ISSI interface with Portland or some other level of interop. So you need a scanner that can handle P25 Phase 2 and simulcast (again I come back to gets a SDS100). There was also some conventional stuff listed but most of the good stuff will likely be on the Astro 25 systems.

As far as encryption goes, no scanner on the market today will decrypt an encrypted transmission (because it's illegal). So if you go onto Radio Reference and see the big "E" marked aside from "D" or "T", you won't be able to listen to anything marked "E".
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#16]
The SDS scanners are phenomenal.

Quoted:
I'd got with the SDS100. It's the most up-to-date scanner when it comes to design (it will actually handle simulcast without distorting).

So Hastings...uses a P25 Phase 1 trunking system. Portland...uses a P25 Phase 1 trunking system. Vancouver...uses Motorola SmartNet (Type II) trunking system which is EOL and they are migrating to a P25 Phase 2 system but I bet there will be an ISSI interface with Portland or some other level of interop. So you need a scanner that can handle P25 Phase 2 and simulcast (again I come back to gets a SDS100). There was also some conventional stuff listed but most of the good stuff will likely be on the Astro 25 systems.

As far as encryption goes, no scanner on the market today will decrypt an encrypted transmission (because it's illegal). So if you go onto Radio Reference and see the big "E" marked aside from "D" or "T", you won't be able to listen to anything marked "E".
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/8/2020 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Encryption is only a taboo subject for absolute cucks.
View Quote

Go on...
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 12:33:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Programming is easy.  Pony up for a radioreference membership and get all the latest frequencies  and download them straight to your scanner.  Very easy.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 7:10:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I always hear that it is complicated to program one.

Which scanner do you think would be good?
Philipeake above recommended one.

I'm pretty sure I'll be needing to get a radio reference membership.
View Quote

Programming them isn't extremely complicated but scanning performance can really suffer if certain actions aren't taken and sometimes it's if you know a thing or two about the system you can better optimize the programming of the scanner.

For example, most people who program scanners for P25 trunking systems really go overboard with sites and channels. Typically you only want to program immediately local sites (simulcast systems are simply a single site as far as the radio/scanner is concerned). Also, the scanner really only needs to know the control channels (it doesn't need to know the rest of the channels at every site). With Motorola systems (including Privacy Plus a.k.a Type 1 and SmartNet a.k.a Type 2) there are typically 4 control channels per site. With Harris systems, any channel at the site can be a control channel (so you have to program all channels at the site). Also, I wouldn't hesitate to consider the control channel data inaccurate and it's good practice to use a control channel decoding software (such as Unitrunker or Pro96COM) as the system actually will advertise the current and alternate control channels in addition to adjacent site control channel info.

Also, when scanning conventional systems and trunking systems just keep in mind the radio can only scan x frequencies per second so the more frequencies you force it to scan, the slower the decode becomes.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#22]
if you want to leave one at home for her to listen to, make sure all she has to do is power it on.

If there is anything else involved, she'll skip it and just blow up your phone instead.

I'll go as far forward to suggest this complicated hack.

Buy Scanner that hears what you want her to hear.
Program Scanner to hear what you want her to hear.
Purchase Low Power FM Transmitter.
Install LP FM Xmitter in home and power on.
Set all Presets of Home FM radios to the freq the FM Xmitter is on.
Connect Scanner to FM Transmitter and leave both on 24/7.
If she's interested, all she has to do is turn on a Radio in the home, in any room and listen to what you wanted her to hear.

Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Holy shit that's a good idea!

I was thinking of getting the HP2 for the nightstand and programming for our city. Then she would just have to power it on and listen.
View Quote

I got tired of trying to carry around a portable scanner with me while cooking/cleaning/folding laundry/changing diapers (or having a base scanner in the laundry room and me in the back bedroom)...the above hack corrected the problem for me (stay@home dad x5).
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Love my BCD436 and 536. The SDS is interesting, but a bit pricier.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#28]
this is the one I use...>CoVid has really screwed with the pricing (churches bought all of them up for parking lot meetings)
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Go with the SDS series. Either the 100 or 200. Ignore everything else. Eventually you WILL encounter simulcast and they are the only thing that reliably works.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Go with the SDS series. Either the 100 or 200. Ignore everything else. Eventually you WILL encounter simulcast and they are the only thing that reliably works.
View Quote
I haven't looked up Vancouver(don't listen to it often enough), and I know nothing about MI, but Portland is definitely a multicast system with 2 primary sites and a number of small gap filler sites(from the old analog days, not sure if they are still in use as such or just in the regular frequency pool - I haven't looked closely at those minor details for a long time). I am running an HP2 and SDS100, just listening to the west site primarily but I try to keep the east site programmed in but locked out unless I'm on that side of the county. I know that my old BCD396 still picks stuff up but not very well.

Portland Police going encrypted sucks, but I spent 75% of the time listening to FD anyway, and they still come in just fine. I do need to figure out their on-scene simplex channels though.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 12:48:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Broadcastify Scanner Feeds

Another way to listen to you local action is the Broadcastify via the Internet. Cheaper than a scanner and good enough for listening to one agency.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 1:03:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Broadcastify Scanner Feeds

Another way to listen to you local action is the Broadcastify via the Internet. Cheaper than a scanner and good enough for listening to one agency.
View Quote

If it's there. You won't get tac or similar either. Not it's another resource.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 3:58:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If it's there. You won't get tac or similar either. Not it's another resource.
View Quote

Broadcastify is a good way to see the agency you want to listen to is encrypted without having to spend any money. It would suck to drop $400 to $700 on a scanner and hear nothing in the clear.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 4:35:51 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
Came to post that very pic from the documentary.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 5:21:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Hi OP. I own a HP-2, a Whistler TRX-2, and a SDS-100. The HP-2 is horrible with multicast and generally has a poorer
receiver than the TRX-2. Ace in the hole is AA power so it is cool for a backup radio. The SDS-100 decodes multicast perfectly
and also has great audio. It sucks power and runs warm so find a good back up supply for power out. I find it's receiver poorer
than the TRX-2 as well in terms of sensitivity. Both of the unidens are easy to flash with latest frequency updates from
radio reference. You don't even have to be a member...they have an agreement with uniden...use the included uniden software.
 Reflashing the TRX-2 is a sinister and taxing affair. Muggles will fail hard on this radio. Of course the TRX-2 is what I use 24-7
and it works fine. Much, much better than the HP-2. Decode is poorer than the SDS-100. Programing is 100x worse too.

Buy some high endurance SD cars for whatever rig you choose. The type used for car cameras. They are slow cards so buy only
the amount of memory you need. Clone a couple of them. Whatever scanner you choose, you will need an SD card. Have a back-up.
Trust me on this...unless you want a brick.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 10/13/2020 6:00:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#37]
I think some are getting confused by the term simulcast and multicast being used interchangeably here.

Simulcast > The simultaneous transmission on the same frequency at multiple RF sites.
Multicast > The simultaneous transmission on different frequencies at multiple RF sites.

P25 trunking come in three forms, standalone (just a single RF site for the system), simulcast (multiple RF sites but operating on the same frequencies) and wide-area (multiple sites, with multicast). With a simulcast system, there only appears to be a single site when looking at the site ID information from the radio/scanner. With simulcast you have two things, a prime site (Motorola term) and then sub-sites (again, Motorola term). The prime site contains the "brains" of the simulcast cell and has the site controller (just like any other site), voting comparators/channel banks (which analyzes the SNR from the incoming transmission and assesses which site has the best signal quality to use), and the simulcast controller/reference (which tells each sub-site when to launch the transmission so they are all in sync and in phase). The sub-sites just contain the RF hardware (receivers and transmitters) as well as a GPSDO to provide an accurate time reference for launching. The Catch-22 of widearea systems...they can contain multiple simulcast systems within them. As an example, the City of Austin's GATRRS system has the following simulcast systems within the widearea network: Austin/Travis County Wide, E620, Williamson County, Bastrop County, and Texarkana along with many, many other 700 MHz, 800 MHz and VHF sites.

Link Posted: 10/13/2020 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Op, I'd get the 436 in my fingers and begin to get my head around it before I dropped any coin to make sure you're not still "scared"
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 12:21:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Radio Reference Forums

Here a link to the Radio Reference Forums. Lots of good scanner info there you might be able to use.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:55:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Nowdays most recommendations will be for the Remtronix 820 or similar.  There are also Comet and Diamond brand antennas that will do the job just as well.  You may end up like many of us and have multiple antennas for different bands and situations.  For instance, many who monitor the air bands end up with specific antennas for that task.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Nowdays most recommendations will be for the Remtronix 820 or similar.  There are also Comet and Diamond brand antennas that will do the job just as well.  You may end up like many of us and have multiple antennas for different bands and situations.  For instance, many who monitor the air bands end up with specific antennas for that task.
View Quote

Yeah, the beginning of H-CRS - ham crowed roof syndrome
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Hastings, MI?!

What the hell is in Hastings that you want to listen to?
I'm in that neck of the woods and need to know what I'm missing out on.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 4:05:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top