Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#1]
well, even though it seems like i can talk to every net on 40 EXCEPT the arfcom net, I've decided to pony up for an amp.  should be here friday and i should have it installed in time for tues net.  
i'm hoping there's a pretty big difference in 10 watts and 250.

kind of annoying but my 705 which only pulls 5a, runs off wiring from a little DC fuse box that runs through my cabin and supports lights and USB outlets i put in the walls.  But the amplifier needs up to 45 amps and thus requires a bit better infrastructure, so i'm going to run new dedicated 6 awg wires from the bus bars on one side of the cabin to the radio on the other, so about 25'.  properly fused of course.  means more holes in the cabin unfortunately lol.

had to put a fair amount of thought into that since the blue sea wire sizing charts show me needing 2AWG for "critical loads" meaning those with a 3% drop or less, while 6AWG is good for normal loads at this length up to 10% loss.  BUT the amp's power connectors size fits a max of 6AWG (I had to call and ask since the manual failed to specify but it looked small in the pics to me.)  The manual states it's needs DC input of 13v +-2v and capable of 45amp.  so i think actual line loss is going to be close to 5% based on  the length but even if it's 10% that's 1.3v which seems comfortably within the -2v, especially given that the voltage on the bus bar is about 13.3 to 13.4.  

curiously the manual for the amp states it MUST be grounded, but there are no instructions for grounding and no ground connection on the amp.   https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/instructions/rmy-hla-305v.pdf   even more curious it states that if installing in a vehicle, the heat sink has to be connected to the vehicle chassis, but there's no screw hole or anything on the heat sink.    the only thing i can think of is it would be grounded through the shield on the coax antenna connections.    dx engineering tech said he'd open a note with engineering about it

anyways, looking forward to next week
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 12:26:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Got some screenshots of the antenna. Actually two. I made a 41 foot and a 35.5 foot wire, both with a 17' counterpoise.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

This is the 41' wire. I am good with this.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Not much difference between the wires. The blue line at the top is the box with no antenna or counterpoise.

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 12:29:15 AM EDT
[#3]
This one made me laugh. The thin red line at the bottom is the antenna laying on the ground.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 1:38:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
This one made me laugh. The thin red line at the bottom is the antenna laying on the ground.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/242375/13_09_2023_17_06_11_png-2953052.JPG
View Quote

I wonder if changing the transformer ratio to 8:1 or 10:1 would raise or lower the overall plot of impedance?
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 1:52:05 AM EDT
[#5]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/242375/13_09_2023_17_06_11_png-2953052.JPG
View Quote

A reminder that a great looking SWR may just mean a lot of loss.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been messing with a bag for the 6100 and an amplifier and a tuner, but could do without the tuner with certain antennas. I can do all 3 pieces and everything but a battery and antennas.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 11:00:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: targetworks] [#7]
Originally Posted By taliv:
well, even though it seems like i can talk to every net on 40 EXCEPT the arfcom net, I've decided to pony up for an amp.  should be here friday and i should have it installed in time for tues net.  
i'm hoping there's a pretty big difference in 10 watts and 250.

kind of annoying but my 705 which only pulls 5a, runs off wiring from a little DC fuse box that runs through my cabin and supports lights and USB outlets i put in the walls.  But the amplifier needs up to 45 amps and thus requires a bit better infrastructure, so i'm going to run new dedicated 6 awg wires from the bus bars on one side of the cabin to the radio on the other, so about 25'.  properly fused of course.  means more holes in the cabin unfortunately lol.

had to put a fair amount of thought into that since the blue sea wire sizing charts show me needing 2AWG for "critical loads" meaning those with a 3% drop or less, while 6AWG is good for normal loads at this length up to 10% loss.  BUT the amp's power connectors size fits a max of 6AWG (I had to call and ask since the manual failed to specify but it looked small in the pics to me.)  The manual states it's needs DC input of 13v +-2v and capable of 45amp.  so i think actual line loss is going to be close to 5% based on  the length but even if it's 10% that's 1.3v which seems comfortably within the -2v, especially given that the voltage on the bus bar is about 13.3 to 13.4.  

curiously the manual for the amp states it MUST be grounded, but there are no instructions for grounding and no ground connection on the amp.   https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/instructions/rmy-hla-305v.pdf   even more curious it states that if installing in a vehicle, the heat sink has to be connected to the vehicle chassis, but there's no screw hole or anything on the heat sink.    the only thing i can think of is it would be grounded through the shield on the coax antenna connections.    dx engineering tech said he'd open a note with engineering about it

anyways, looking forward to next week
View Quote

Perhaps I'm coming in late on this, but rather than piping high-current, low-voltage DC to your amplifier, have you considered the alternative of putting the amplifier close to the high-current low-voltage supply, and instead piping rf through coaxial cables (from the transceiver to the amp, and from the amp to the antenna outlet)? You may also have to run PTT control lines for the amp (assuming that it is not rf-switched) along with band-switching control lines (but a cursory look at the amp manual seems to show that it does not feature remote band switching, rather only manual switching), so maybe that will be too much of a pain in the butt.

Link Posted: 9/15/2023 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote
There is a low band antenna called LOG or Loop on the ground. It's receive only like a beverage. You take a 60' piece of wire and tack it down to the ground in a square 15' on each side. I think it uses a 4:1 Balun and some folks run a preamp with it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Well after several nights of observation I think I can attribute my noise on 40m to mostly natural sources.  It doesn't seem to follow any trend other than being higher at night sometimes, which could be attributed to 40m just working better at night.  I also noticed it is worse when there are thunderstorms within a few hundred miles.  

I'm just going to be happy with it how it is, since I've done a fairly reasonable amount of due diligence in trying to identify the source.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By targetworks:

Perhaps I'm coming in late on this, but rather than piping high-current, low-voltage DC to your amplifier, have you considered the alternative of putting the amplifier close to the high-current low-voltage supply, and instead piping rf through coaxial cables (from the transceiver to the amp, and from the amp to the antenna outlet)? You may also have to run PTT control lines for the amp (assuming that it is not rf-switched) along with band-switching control lines (but a cursory look at the amp manual seems to show that it does not feature remote band switching, rather only manual switching), so maybe that will be too much of a pain in the butt.

View Quote

i did briefly.   but that would mean adding two 30' coax sections, so it's prob easier to just run the dc wire
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Random thunderstorms are spoiling heading outside so I cobbed together a battery pack for the uSDX+ radio. It has an internal battery but this pack should run it for most of a day. I used button top batteries with internal protection. I have a bunch here for flashlights, and figured they could do double duty. It should also power the x6100 on 5w. I can carry extra batteries and reload the pack if necessary.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok, so the lying bastards at radio shack told me those batteries were rated what was written on the side. They actually test out about 1100ma, so I am now mostly done with v2. This one will have a bms, and some shrink tubing installed when it arrives I got it soldered up and it will have some 3100ma batteries that actually test out to that value. Hey, I am learning as I go here.
I put them in a tray because I am not soldering on these batteries, and I don't have a spot welder.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Too many radios and desk too cluttered so I’m adding a second rack

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:
Too many radios and desk too cluttered so I’m adding a second rack

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83116/image_jpg-2961774.JPG
View Quote

Details on the rack?

Link Posted: 9/21/2023 7:41:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tyrex13] [#15]
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Tomorrow I’m finally putting my 1/2-5/8 wave dual band antenna on the roof.
It’s late so I’m not gonna lay it out but it will have Alpha Delta spark gap and one 6g ground.
No bonded extra grounds cause I live on a big rock.
I’ll have to take my chances there.

Studying for general is my other project.
Oh yeah and satellite/Iss.
And DMR.
I’m busy for now.

Link Posted: 9/22/2023 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Racks are approaching their final form for the winter. Still need some small parts and to clean up my mess I made, but I think this is good to work well for me.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:
Racks are approaching their final form for the winter. Still need some small parts and to clean up my mess I made, but I think this is good to work well for me.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83116/IMG_1718_jpeg-2962855.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83116/IMG_1719_jpeg-2962856.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83116/IMG_1720_jpeg-2962857.JPG
View Quote

Dang. That’s a lot of radio gear.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 5:40:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: taliv] [#19]
My dad came up and played around with radio gear.  Tuned a 40m hamstick mounted to my camper and hunted some POTA with a yeasu 817 qrp from the back yard in town.  Got one in GA with 2 watts

Using my batwing awning as radials for ground plane seems to work well
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#20]
A cluttered desk is a sign of genius.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:
A cluttered desk is a sign of genius.
View Quote

That's what I keep telling myself...
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Messing with Win4Icom now. It works well. But having problems with WSJTX working with it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#23]

I got picked to host a Grape 1  space weather station for the upcoming eclipse. Hardware came Friday and I got it all installed somewhat hastily but I didn't want to have it sit around until the last minute. It's doing its thing, sending data, I have to figure out how to set up RealVNC so I can run without a monitor.

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 7:39:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mark75H] [#24]
I'm happy with this in my Jeep. Radio is under the passenger's seat, power in from battery and coax out to antenna thru the floorboard drain hole. Antenna on a spare tire antenna mount.  Signal reports are excellent, but I haven't had the oppertunity to use it in fringe areas yet to see how it compares to other rigs I have had in the past. Radio was audible from under the passenger's seat, but I am going to add a speaker under the driver's seat.  Aux in to the Jeep Uconnect radio is a dream - except for the repeater tail CHUNK!. Those quality speakers and amp will knock you out of the seats if it's turned up loud.

Link Posted: 9/26/2023 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I made a small cable using a CH430 module and a screw terminal jack. It gives me cat control on the uSDX+ using an old phone.
Attachment Attached File

I can change frequency, band, mode, volume all on the phone. It makes using it much easier. The app is the free version, I will most likely buy the paid one to get rid of ads. I will get a more streamlined cable made now that I know it works.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Here are a couple more pics of menus
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#27]
That's a cool one for sure!
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#28]
When you walk in your buddy's garage and he has a new welder.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#29]
I am pretty happy with this 6ah lifepo4 attempt. Just waiting on the shrink tubing to get here.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 9:38:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4HShooter] [#30]
Just ordered a rohn 25g tilt base, pics to come this winter of the build
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#31]

I have the Pocket RX/TX app and it works okay with my FT-817ND over a Bluetooth connection to a little Bluetooth data adapter.  I usually just use the controls on the radio though, but I don't use the 817 all that often anyway.  

Still, it's a neat app and it's nice to know it works with those USDx radios.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 10:12:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I am pretty happy with this 6ah lifepo4 attempt. Just waiting on the shrink tubing to get here.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/242375/IMG_20230928_103036211_jpg-2969129.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/242375/IMG_20230928_103053907_jpg-2969130.JPG
View Quote

I didn't know you could get LiFePO4 chemistry in those individual cells like that.  Neat!
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#33]
So today I finished an antenna I started over a year ago, closer to two. It is the smallest vertical I have seen in person. It is based on the qrp guys DS-1 as in I bought all the stuff to build it and followed the instructions. The whip is longer than specified so it never gets fully extended. I got it to tune on 40, 20, 17, and 15, lol. I still need to test it but it should work and not be a total dummy load.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/29/2023 5:08:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lorazepam] [#34]
It can be mounted on a tripod or whatever you want to adapt to. I threaded the hole in the plate 1/4-20 so it will mount on anything with that thread. The bottom coil is for 20 and up, 15m tunes with the whip in the fully closed position, 14 inches, lol. The top coil is added to get to 40m, and it is pretty narrow banded. It is easy to move to the portion of the band you want to work. I am using two radials ~6m long attached with an alligator clip. I will add screen shots of the tunes shortly.
Edit: Here are the plans for building it. Here
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Attachment Attached File

This is the 20m coil. The body is pex tubing with a copper sweat cap on one end with the bnc fitting, and a high pressure plug in the other end.
Attachment Attached File

The 40m coil has two of the plugs, one drilled for the whip, and the other end has a screw.
It is a great design, I hope it works well, it is so compact and easy to carry. I might try it as a 20m man pack set up at 5w.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#36]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/242375/IMG_20230929_145217383_jpg-2970341.JPG
This is the 20m coil. The body is pex tubing with a copper sweat cap on one end with the bnc fitting, and a high pressure plug in the other end.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/242375/IMG_20230929_145230969_jpg-2970342.JPG
The 40m coil has two of the plugs, one drilled for the whip, and the other end has a screw.
It is a great design, I hope it works well, it is so compact and easy to carry. I might try it as a 20m man pack set up at 5w.
View Quote

That is neat!  I like that it uses common hardware store parts.  That BNC would mate right up with the front panel connector on an FT-817/8.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

I didn't know you could get LiFePO4 chemistry in those individual cells like that.  Neat!
View Quote
I think the big ones are just individual cells also aren't they?
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat:
View Quote

Tesla batteries are just hundreds of 18650 batteries.
I wanted to make a couple batteries mainly because I could. Having mostly low power stuff, I can get away with smaller batteries. a 6ah will run the 50w amp for hours on voice. A 3ah pack can supplement the built in batteries on two of my radios, and a 6ah will run the G90 for a long time.
I haven't bought a pre built antenna yet. I have bought a Wolf river coil mini though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

Not sure.  I know Hobby King used to sell LiFePO4 batteries that were in the same soft shell "pillow pouch" form factor as the Lithium Polymer batteries.  I thought the Lithium Ion chemistry was the only one you could get in 18650 cells.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#40]
It is good to do some reading on balancing / managing the charging of lifepo4 cells combined together before stepping off on that project.

Or have a fire extinguisher handy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
It is good to do some reading on balancing / managing the charging of lifepo4 cells combined together before stepping off on that project.

View Quote

They have battery management systems, and the lifepo4 are not prone to combustion like the li-ion. It is really easy to do. If I made no sparks or burned nothing down, you too can make your own pack.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#42]

They have battery management systems, and the lifepo4 are not prone to combustion like the li-ion. It is really easy to do. If I made no sparks or burned nothing down, you too can make your own pack.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shootindave:

Yeah. It is pretty straight forward, but not a 1:1 knowledge coming from lead acid.

Lithium stuff has made portable so much easier, and their cycle life is great, but I dont charge any of them while I am not at home.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 1:00:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lorazepam] [#43]
I set the antenna up in the yard, and made three pota contacts on 20m with the X6100. Two were at 10w, and one was at five. I am amazed that this antenna actually gets out with a qrp signal.
Edit: I did an activation today with the antenna, and got 16 hunting park to park with 10w. It's nuts to me that I was heard pretty well with it. I could have gotten 50 easy if I called cq, but I need it a bit louder to get call signs better. It was a lot of fun using it today. I had a back up antenna, but didn't need it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Working on an OP25 Docker container...because I am wanting to try some stuff.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Got a new computer monitor for the shack.

Of course the DC wall wart is blasting RFI.

But, a glimmering light at the end of the tunnel, it runs on 12V.

Power poles into the Rigrunner.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#46]
I had some speaker wire sitting around, and I ended up tuning up  40, 20, 17, 15, and 10m elements to use on a fishing pole.
I just use a binding post, and I have 5 tuned bands for way under 10 bucks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 12:21:19 AM EDT
[#47]
My current three day project has been to look for someone in Oklahoma that uses an HF radio and logs entries into QRZ....... so I can put WAS behind me.

Not a lot of QRZ logging in Oklahoma it seems.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Just had a QSO with EU1KY. On his QRZ page, he has a link to a project he apparently created. You guys who like projects may want to take a look. It is an antenna analyzer of some sort: https://github.com/EU1KY/eu1ky_aa_v3/wiki
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:38:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ch1966] [#49]
This is an awesome thread full of neat ideas becoming neat reality.
Keep 'em coming!

I'm still tinkering with my "radio project" in my 4Runner.

I mounted a nice touch screen on the dash and a couple of SDRs behind the seat with a CF 19 Toughbook in between.

My primary antenna is an ICOM 220A airband NMO antenna that works great in that role and is acceptable for FM broadcast.

I have several other antennas for static use with the workhorse being an MLA-30+ for lower bands, an ADSB antenna, and a Moonraker Discone.
I am still looking at other uhf/vhf mobile antennas for on the move.
Also it'll bluetooth in to my car stereo or another external speaker and it uses the CF 19 internal speaker when not connected.

Everything is powered by a 100aH battery box that I have setup in the back with AC/DC/solar charge capabilities.
I can run over 48 hours on a charge.  A DC-DC charger to charge off the alternator is planned.
I can also run it for 8 hours on a Bluetti EB3A.

This setup gives me use of the CF-19s internal GPS that works with Microsoft Streets and Trips 2007 for on road navigation and I can run Garmin basecamp with my Alpha 100 for satellite imagery off road or while tracking dogs.  All without internet.

I also have a Mele fanless mini PC which is running an SDRPlay Duo.  This dual receiver gives me ADSB from one receiver and scanning capability on the other.  I just got it set up but it seems to run smooth and cool.

Other ideas are being tinkered with.
Here's a few pics and screenshots.

And here's the first run with the Mele and Duo running ADSB and scanning AB.

Link Posted: 10/12/2023 12:44:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ch1966:
This is an awesome thread full of neat ideas becoming neat reality.
Keep 'em coming!

I'm still tinkering with my "radio project" in my 4Runner.

I mounted a nice touch screen on the dash and a couple of SDRs behind the seat with a CF 19 Toughbook in between.

My primary antenna is an ICOM 220A airband NMO antenna that works great in that role and is acceptable for FM broadcast.

I have several other antennas for static use with the workhorse being an MLA-30+ for lower bands, an ADSB antenna, and a Moonraker Discone.
I am still looking at other uhf/vhf mobile antennas for on the move.
Also it'll bluetooth in to my car stereo or another external speaker and it uses the CF 19 internal speaker when not connected.

Everything is powered by a 100aH battery box that I have setup in the back with AC/DC/solar charge capabilities.
I can run over 48 hours on a charge.  A DC-DC charger to charge off the alternator is planned.
I can also run it for 8 hours on a Bluetti EB3A.

This setup gives me use of the CF-19s internal GPS that works with Microsoft Streets and Trips 2007 for on road navigation and I can run Garmin basecamp with my Alpha 100 for satellite imagery off road or while tracking dogs.  All without internet.

I also have a Mele fanless mini PC which is running an SDRPlay Duo.  This dual receiver gives me ADSB from one receiver and scanning capability on the other.  I just got it set up but it seems to run smooth and cool.

Other ideas are being tinkered with.
Here's a few pics and screenshots.

https://i.imgur.com/zdJt0b1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4c8cutG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dlkaB4x.png

https://i.imgur.com/SDDPlaU.png

https://i.imgur.com/TJimIfL.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/72H2Zxj.png

And here's the first run with the Mele and Duo running ADSB and scanning AB.

https://i.imgur.com/CZyIKYO.jpg
View Quote

That's a really cool mobile setup.  I remember using Microsoft Streets and Trips many years ago when I was heavily into geocaching and it was a race to be first to log a new cache.  I had an old IBM ThinkPad setup on a home made mobile computer desk.  It was a lot of fun, and I had the coolest in-car navigation for a year or so until the Garmin touch screen units came out.  Then my setup was just clunky so I pulled it all out.  It was fun while it lasted though!
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top