BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By stanprophet09:
Started on my amp remote control head today. I was originally going to use this for my Harris 6m amp, but with the 2M on the way I have decided that I will dedicate this as my VHF and above. But I will be using this to monitor the 50V power supply. I will run the amp Bird line sections into the back of this with a band switch so I can monitor power. So overall it will be a 14v 100 amp power supply with Voltage reading for the 14V and 50V. It has a 4 event sequencer in it, a Bird PEP kit with a 2X/5X switch. I will have the 240v on the main power switch with the LED and a switch for the Amp Contactors. I will also have a standby switch for all of the amps. The Watt meter has a switch for the LED backlight. Right now I have it wired for the PEP kit with the 9v battery and will be using a DC to DC buck converter to power the peak kit. Still need to machine the back cover for the 240v plug and the 75 amp power pole and matching a piece that can hold it to the box. I put a bunch of RCA connectors for the Sequencer. I also put 6 BNC connector on the back for the bird line sections to come into the band switch so I will be using this on the 6m amp for power monitoring until I get my other one built.

The power pole housing would like the panel to be thicker so I potted it with some E6000 and will machine a spacer for it later. Still need to finish the wiring of it and get some stubby switches as the local supply only had one and I like them better than the long ones. I did not hook the band switch up since I am getting ready to jump on a 6m net so wanted to test out the meter, wire is long enough to cut and still make it to the band switch when I finish up the wiring. Have the HP power supply mounted with 3m mounting tape right now but will be adding brackets that I am 3d printing. All of the board standoffs and insulators were machined out of Delrin on my lathe and the peak kit ones isolate the bolts from the cabinet and are held down through the meter stud holes. My meter has a non standard mounting tab so had to adapt the kit to fit this box.

Plan is to build another one like this for the Harris 6M amp and the HF/6M 2kw LDMOS kit I will be building this year. I may not put the sequencer in it, since I have one in a project enclosure and there is no need for a power supply in the other one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199367/IMG_9759_JPG-3194602.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199367/IMG_9760_JPG-3194603.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199367/IMG_9761_JPG-3194604.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199367/IMG_9762_JPG-3194605.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199367/IMG_9763_JPG-3194606.JPG

View Quote

I don't really get what it is you're building, but the actual component placement looks well planned out and neatly done.  

Is this for an amp that is just too big to locate with the rest of your station equipment?  Or does it require a separate control?  

Nice work either way.  I'd be very proud of building something that neat.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:21:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stanprophet09] [#2]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

I don't really get what it is you're building, but the actual component placement looks well planned out and neatly done.  

Is this for an amp that is just too big to locate with the rest of your station equipment?  Or does it require a separate control?  

Nice work either way.  I'd be very proud of building something that neat.
View Quote

Indeed. It will be controlling several remote amps. The main power has the 100amp 12v supply for the station and my smaller brick amps. This will allow me to monitor the 12v status and the voltage on my 51v supply. Switches for the contactors to control the voltage to the 2 big Harris amps. The box also has the 4 even sequencer for all the LNA and Amp keying circuits for the Bias and relays.

The meter has a band switch that allows me to monitor all the amps output using the peak kit and bird line sections.

Currently have 1 harris for 6m and another coming for 2m. They are big but they are designed for 1kw @100% duty cycle. I run a lot of FT8 , MSK-144, Q65 so they fit the bill nicely.

Attachment Attached File

Pardon the mess but these will be mounted on the side on the cart with the HP power supply in the middle of them. I am working on a rack for these, my AM-6154 amps and future space for a Home Brew LDMOS Hf-6m 2kw rated amp.  

Eventually I will build a second box. One for my 7300 for HF-6m and one for my 9700 for 2m-1296

ETA: I need to rewire the fans. Added a 15ohm 100w to slow the fans down. They are 50v 250cfm fans running in series parallel so have about 24 volts going to them. Has to slow the fans in the supply as well so it does not sound like I am on a jet engine test stand while operating.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm following your reports with great interest as I will need to build similar control systems.

I am planning to have my pair of Harris amps (with power and control) in the basement, while the rig(s) will be upstairs. I may even run the rigs remotely (at least from an upper floor of the house). So remote monitoring and control of 'everything' is on the table.

(BTW, I will be using 5 fans instead of 4 for each amp - haven't decided yet whether or how to control the fan speed, but since they will be located on a different floor of the house from my operating position, fan noise reduction is less of a concern for me.)

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:17:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stanprophet09] [#4]
Originally Posted By targetworks:
I'm following your reports with great interest as I will need to build similar control systems.

I am planning to have my pair of Harris amps (with power and control) in the basement, while the rig(s) will be upstairs. I may even run the rigs remotely (at least from an upper floor of the house). So remote monitoring and control of 'everything' is on the table.

(BTW, I will be using 5 fans instead of 4 for each amp - haven't decided yet whether or how to control the fan speed, but since they will be located on a different floor of the house from my operating position, fan noise reduction is less of a concern for me.)

View Quote

So be mindful that the Harris only requires about 250cfm of air while it was in service at 100% duty cycle. I am using 4 200cfm fans at half voltage and slowing them with a resistor. Even with that I did a 20min FT8 cycle at 1250w and the cooling fins were lukewarm. I have done rag chew sessions with a KW for about 2 hours and never kicked the fans on and it was not really that warm. They also have thermal protection as well. I am going to add some type of fan control, thinking of a thermal switch to kick them on. I was going to do a relay to kick the resistor out of line with the fans to kick the speed up a bit but have not found a need for that. If I do EME I will have to do that. Once I get the separate box for the 6m amp I can wire the feedback line to the LED on the control, and put fan controls in it.

As far as relays I am going to get some Relay boards from W6PQL for the 2m amp and probably do the same for my 6m amp. I can save the Coaxial relays for a 1296 amp build in the future or for the AM-6154's I am picking up this weekend for 432.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Still need to machine a block for the 75amp power pole on the back of the box. Going to have to build longer stanoffs for my Sequencer and run it over the power pole. AC is wired and I can use 120v for 70A or 240 for 100A. The PS auto switches. Some switches and finish the remote cable wiring. Had to get new Volt meters due to them not reading up to 50v. I am using a Clincko 7 pin system for the remote control wires and plan on running the same pinout on the 2m Amp. Little at a time it is coming together.

My drill holes turned out ok. I need a DRO for my mill in the future if I want them perfect but so far I like it. Most of the mistakes are on the back. May end up repainting the enclosure and doing the Vinyl on my cutter or engraving it with my CNC router and putting clear over it, but for now its all about getting it functional.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Just picked up 2 AM-6154 FAA amps and heading home. These will be getting a conversion to 432Mhz. Super pumped to get into these.

I have some crazy idea brewing in my head, and going to have to have a conversation with a couple of friends and see what they think, maybe get them to talk me down on this idea. Lol
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:07:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nikdfish] [#6]
Still chipping away at the screwdriver build.  Did some fittings & made a few changes.  Finally decided on a method for RF wiring that works OK with the assembly sequence of the various parts.

The gear motor came in & I got to do a fitting with the mount.   Center conductor from SO239 goes to bolt on side.  That's where the connection to the contactor ring will connect, passing through the same opening as the motor wiring. Only using 2 of the 6 motor connections for now.  The other 4 are for hall effect encoders for use with something like an arduino controller. There are two pigtails with 1/4" spade connects for the RF ground connection.  Will probably use faraday cloth as a "magic carpet".

Attachment Attached File

Wired a simple up/down controller & tested it.  

Attachment Attached File

Also got the M6 allthread in & mounted it & a nut on the coil form.  Heated the nut mount area & folded over the edges for nut retention.  Also did a connector for motor shaft/allthread.

Attachment Attached File

ETA:  did a simple tripod mount that breaks down for transport/storage.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Just picked up 2 AM-6154 FAA amps and heading home. These will be getting a conversion to 432Mhz. Super pumped to get into these.

I have some crazy idea brewing in my head, and going to have to have a conversation with a couple of friends and see what they think, maybe get them to talk me down on this idea. Lol
View Quote

I have an AM-6155 that has already been converted to 222 MHz.

I have not run it yet, because it is waiting for me to finish wiring up a 240VAC subpanel in my radio shack (and also waiting on some antenna work).

(Wondering what kind of crazy ideas those may be.)

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By nikdfish:
Still chipping away at the screwdriver build.  Did some fittings & made a few changes.  Finally decided on a method for RF wiring that works OK with the assembly sequence of the various parts.

The gear motor came in & I got to do a fitting with the mount.   Center conductor from SO239 goes to bolt on side.  That's where the connection to the contactor ring will connect, passing through the same opening as the motor wiring. Only using 2 of the 6 motor connections for now.  The other 4 are for hall effect encoders for use with something like an arduino controller. There are two pigtails with 1/4" spade connects for the RF ground connection.  Will probably use faraday cloth as a "magic carpet".

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/128622/PXL_20240427_175726015_PORTRAITb_jpg-3199574.JPG

Wired a simple up/down controller & tested it.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/128622/PXL_20240427_210747477b_jpg-3199575.JPG

Also got the M6 allthread in & mounted it & a nut on the coil form.  Heated the nut mount area & folded over the edges for nut retention.  Also did a connector for motor shaft/allthread.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/128622/PXL_20240426_003356360_PORTRAITb_jpg-3199572.JPG

ETA:  did a simple tripod mount that breaks down for transport/storage.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/128622/PXL_20240427_231430256b_jpg-3199682.JPG
View Quote

Looking nice so far.   I bought a kit a while back that has some small M3 sized threaded brass inserts and comes with tips for a soldering iron that you use to melt into plastic, similar to what you did with that nut.  I don't know if they make them that big though.

The tripod looks like a model rocket launch pad.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:42:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#9]
Nothing too big here.  I needed an amp cable now that my SB220 resto is almost ready to go on the air.  

I rummaged through some boxes of wires and found what was probably an audio/video cable for a digital camera, to go to an older TV.  I cut the 1/8" phone plug off and split it into 2 RCA cables.

A few years back, I had bought some 8 pin mini DIN connectors to use with an FT-817ND for a different project.  I dug around and found them.

The FT-450D I have set up right now uses a 10 pin mini DIN for the amp connection, but it turns out their tuner jack is 8 pin and has a PTT pin as well.  I'm hoping this plays nice with the soft key module in the amp.  

Anyhow, building it saved me nearly $40 if I had bought it from DX Engineering!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I put a "tune" label on the plug so I don't try to force it into the amp jack at a later date.

Also, I need to finish any more of these tiny soldering projects before I get any older.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:39:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lorazepam] [#10]
I made one of those fancy in line chokes with 5 mix 31 beads, a foot or so of coax, some shrink tubing, and a male and female connector. Chameleon wants 57 bucks, and I made it for around 25. I hope it works. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:52:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nikdfish] [#11]
Got the coil wound, ~67' of 16 awg tinned copper.

Attachment Attached File

Final assembly & some motor function testing

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Still waiting on a short whip & mount.

ETA - FWIW, looks like the coil is good for up to a bit over 100 uH.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#12]
5:1 unun "cha" matching transformer.
This is what's inside the chameleon CHA for the MPAS antennas and the tactical delta loop. Holy cow it was a challenge to solder the tubes to the circuit boards. It ain't pretty, but I hope it works. Just need an enclosure for it
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
I made one of those fancy in line chokes with 5 mix 31 beads, a foot or so of coax, some shrink tubing, and a male and female connector. Chameleon wants 57 bucks, and I made it for around 25. I hope it works. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/242375/IMG_20240427_214056110_jpg-3199960.JPG
View Quote

That's the way to do it.  Anything you can DIY, you do DIY.  

For me, building stuff is a big part of what I enjoy in this hobby.  Getting on the air is almost secondary.  I like making contacts to prove to myself my DIY stuff works.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

That's the way to do it.  Anything you can DIY, you do DIY.  

For me, building stuff is a big part of what I enjoy in this hobby.  Getting on the air is almost secondary.  I like making contacts to prove to myself my DIY stuff works.
View Quote

I agree. I really like when you build it, and it works just like it is supposed to or even better. If it works as advertised, this thing should match a dog turd to 80m.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Today I boiled a 1Kw MFJ wet dummy load. It smelled like old french fry mist.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
Today I boiled a 1Kw MFJ wet dummy load. It smelled like old french fry mist.
View Quote

Haha I'm glad I used regular mineral oil in my little quart sized dummy load because one of our cats likes to lick the lid.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

So looks like one is already converted to 220mhz. Its a bit crispy though and I bought it for spare parts so if it works it works. The other is immaculate. The tube date code is 1992, so this was either a new unit or refurbished before getting surplus sold. The Plate cap of the Amprex tube does not even show any heating. Pay attention to the plate finger stock and the silver plated parts in it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#18]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199367/IMG_9825_jpeg-3203142.JPG

So looks like one is already converted to 220mhz. Its a bit crispy though and I bought it for spare parts so if it works it works. The other is immaculate. The tube date code is 1992, so this was either a new unit or refurbished before getting surplus sold. The Plate cap of the Amprex tube does not even show any heating. Pay attention to the plate finger stock and the silver plated parts in it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199367/IMG_9835_jpeg-3203146.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199367/IMG_9836_jpeg-3203149.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199367/IMG_9837_jpeg-3203150.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199367/IMG_9838_jpeg-3203152.JPG
View Quote

The clean one is pretty…

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

New Harris Platunum High Band will be here tomorrow. Then the work begins to get this one up and working on 2m.

Also working on this.

Attachment Attached File

This should work out to pull out very weak signals on the SDR with dual RX with the SDR covering a whole band and the IC-7300. TX will be with the 7300/9700 depending on what band I am working.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Finally got the faraday fabric in for the screwdriver "ground plane", also a small (48") whip.   Rain for the last couple of days, so waiting for things to dry out before getting out and actually testing SWR results.  I didn't like the lack of stability on the initial tripod so I did some longer legs & a tripod base that clamps around the inner coil cover.

Attachment Attached File

Much more stable.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Finally got the faraday fabric in for the screwdriver "ground plane", also a small (48") whip.   Rain for the last couple of days, so waiting for things to dry out before getting out and actually testing SWR results.  I didn't like the lack of stability on the initial tripod so I did some longer legs & a tripod base that clamps around the inner coil cover.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/128622/PXL_20240504_194641612_PORTRAITb_jpg-3205451.JPG

Much more stable.
View Quote

Looking forward to this, may have to pick your brain a bit on the finger stock. I have a Lathe and Mill so I will likely not print it, but I do have that option. Following this build closely. Looks good man!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:09:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stanprophet09] [#22]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Harris number 2 is here. Going to be a bit before I get the stuff to get this on the air. I have to finish the antenna build. Current antenna is only a 6el yagi and upgrading to a 9el for now until I get the tower up.

ETA: Pardon the mess under the desk, have my old TK-790 piled up and some parts. I have now mounted the fans on the 6m harris and mounted the brackets on it and mounted on its side, going to run them that way with the 50v switcher between the amps
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Built some yagi gmrs antennas.  Now building 2 cross band repeaters, and a gmrs repeater. Finished 5 more slim jim antennas. Trying to learn how exactly to program a dmr radio. Built a repeater controller, and now trying to finish the voting antenna setup. I cannot stip tinkering with this uvk5 radio. I may have too many irons in the fire.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:43:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#24]
small project I did yesterday.

Have had a Johnson KW Matchbox that I modded for the 160 meter band several years ago. But I only had a regular knob on the internal vacuum variable cap I installed, so I had no idea where the cap was set once I moved it.

Last week I picked up a few Duodial turn counting knobs but they cam without any mounting hardware. I got 3 for $5.

So I needed to design and produce something to keep the housing from moving when turning the dial.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The black piece on the left is what I designed and printed

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Mach:

Have had a Johnson KW Matchbox that I modded for the 160 meter band several years ago. But I only had a regular knob on the internal vacuum variable cap I installed, so I had no idea where the cap was set once I moved it.

Last week I picked up a few Duodial turn counting knobs but they cam without any mounting hardware. I got 3 for $5.

So I needed to design and produce something to keep the housing from moving when turning the dial.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/98989/IMG_2792_jpg-3206867.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/98989/IMG_2805_jpg-3206869.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/98989/IMG_0390_jpg-3206870.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/98989/IMG_0392_jpg-3206871.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/98989/IMG_0388_jpg-3206873.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/98989/IMG_0389_jpg-3206874.JPG

View Quote

Did your 160 modification entail more than just adding that vacuum variable capacitor?

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:43:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nikdfish] [#26]
Used the remainder of the tinned copper buss wire for a vertical antenna loading coil.  No screwdriver this time, just a movable contact ring.  The coil body was printed as one piece, "hot and fast", with 0.6mm nozzle & ASA filament.  Will be waiting on a long telescopic whip for testing.

Attachment Attached File

The clamp on bottom tripod has removable legs for portability.

Attachment Attached File

Wires with clamps are for grounding to faraday fabric under the antenna

Attachment Attached File

Attachment details

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Top element is a 3/8-24 thread extender.

ETA -  The inductance calculator says it should be good for about 26 uH
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Outstanding and cool mod!
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Did your 160 modification entail more than just adding that vacuum variable capacitor?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nope, just add a capacitor in parrallel with the primary coil ( not the drive coil that the radio / amp connects to )

I tested it with a air variable I had by wiring it up from the outside and I used it like that for a looooong time but got tired of the RF in the shack
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:

Thanks.

The best part is I used to hole that the meter was in so I made no modifications to the case and it can be back to OEM easily.

someday I will repaint the brown mounting surface to match the OEM brown better, but I grew impatient mixing paint
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:51:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: limaxray] [#30]
Originally Posted By limaxray:
Just received this yesterday.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30315/20240313_181541v2_jpg-3158965.JPG

Nothing else included.  Missing the power cord, microphone, any documentation, crystals, and the lamps knob.  But otherwise in great shape.  Peeked inside and it's pretty clean, and I got it from a guy on Ebay who's cleaning out his ham shack (about 40 other radios he's selling), so I'm assuming it's in good shape internally.

Our club has a 6m AM net every Sunday; can't want to get on it using this rig!  

Anybody know of a parts source besides Ebay?
View Quote

Took me a while to find both the parts and the schematics for a cord (it uses a 12-pin Cinch-Jones with a fused plug), just got all that together today and plugged it in. And this is what I saw....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Didn't hook it up to an antenna yet (not that there's anything around here on 6m AM regularly...), but I am getting a hum out of the speakers.  

Next up is some crystals and a microphone, and see if it will actually transmit/receive.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Took me a while to find both the parts and the schematics for a cord (it uses a 12-pin Cinch-Jones with a fused plug), just got all that together today and plugged it in. And this is what I saw....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30315/20240508_182716_jpg-3209053.JPG

Didn't hook it up to an antenna yet (not that there's anything around here on 6m AM regularly...), but I am getting a hum out of the speakers.  

Next up is some crystals and a microphone, and see if it will actually transmit/receive.
View Quote

I have a 2 meter version. Be careful if you have a hum from the speaker it may have bad Caps on the supply. If the caps have not been replaced I would do that before applying power again.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#32]

I have a 2 meter version. Be careful if you have a hum from the speaker it may have bad Caps on the supply. If the caps have not been replaced I would do that before applying power again.
View Quote

I've been restoring some Zenith Transoceanics (on my third one), so yeah, just wanted to see if it would power up or if it was a boat anchor.

After I finish my current B600 project, we'll do a full scrub on this one.  It's a little dusty/dirty, so clean it, recap, then test.

Sadly, it might be a while.  I shorted something in the ZTO. Now, on AC, there's some kind of weird distortion going on (doesn't happen on battery   ) that's not caused by something obvious, so I'm going to have to unsolder a leg of EVERY component, test it, then resolder/replace as required.  There's 32 resistors and 40-something caps.    
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:58:37 AM EDT
[#33]

I've been restoring some Zenith Transoceanics (on my third one), so yeah, just wanted to see if it would power up or if it was a boat anchor.

After I finish my current B600 project, we'll do a full scrub on this one.  It's a little dusty/dirty, so clean it, recap, then test.

Sadly, it might be a while.  I shorted something in the ZTO. Now, on AC, there's some kind of weird distortion going on (doesn't happen on battery   ) that's not caused by something obvious, so I'm going to have to unsolder a leg of EVERY component, test it, then resolder/replace as required.  There's 32 resistors and 40-something caps.    
View Quote

Those Gonsets are pretty cool. The one I have is hammer toned silver with the CD logo that was partially scrubbed on the side. I have the cinch hones connector with the power plug but sadly it does not power on and was low on my project list. After I get through some of these amps I will see what I can do with it. Paid 20 bucks for it. If the transformer is bad then it will be a wall hanger I guess. Still a cool piece of american history.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:24:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Amp control head is nearly done. Power supply is setup and working. I I have 1 switch that powers the supply and one turns the sequencer on. I have 3 other power switches that will ground the W6PQL power mosfet to feed the 50v to each amplifier to power it on. Need to add 1 more LED to the sequencer to show when it is keyed. The main cnlinko connector is going to change. It has the 50v and ground from the supply. Going to add a 12v line for the new relay systems to power them. Its also going to have the ground signal for the power mosfets. Have 4 power pole outputs on the panel for accesories and a 75 amp power pole to power my brick amps. The band switch for the bird line sections and power meter works very well. Going to build a simple version of this for the 6 meter amp eventually as I plan to eventually do LDMOS for HF, 70cm, and 1296.  For now 432 and if I add 222 will be on the AM-6154 tube amps. I expect the next amp build will be the HF or 1296, with the 1296 being my priority.

There is some things I could have done better but I am still happy with it overall. This will be powered on a 240v plug for 100a out at 13.8v. The 240 plug has the power filter kit and rated for 15amps. Power supply draws 9 amps at 240v so I have some head room. Tried to keep all the low power on one side and the high power on the other. Going to add a 10amp 240v breaker above the inlet. Overall these supplies are pretty safe with a great over power, crow bar circuit, short circuit protection and arc faults. Had a screw on the output terminal come loose and when doing some testing and the power supply would fault quick and shit down so it does work. But I would feel better with a breaker inline i also need to ground the chassis. There are some grounding prongs on the power supply that do interface with the lower panel. The challenge here is the way the panels bolt together. I will have to ground the bottom and top panel together to make it fully chassis ground.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:53:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nikdfish] [#35]
I put a description, source & STL's for the screwdriver build on printables.
https://www.printables.com/model/873376-screwdriver-style-antenna-for-portable-use-100uh-l

I'll also do one for the tripod base loading coil build.

ETA
A description of the 26 uH tripod base loading coil build is on Printables:
https://www.printables.com/model/875179-portable-loading-coil-vertical-antenna

A 46 uH version of the tripod base loading coil (not yet printed) can be found here:
https://www.printables.com/model/875229-portable-vertical-antenna-loading-coil-base-46uh
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#36]
A quick antenna replacement, DB420 down, DB408 up.  At least these are light, easy to manhandle without a gin pole.

GMRS guys...

Checked over the other dishes/equipment while the ground crew serviced the generator and cleaned up the shack.
Temp and breeze was a little chilly once you got up above the tree canopy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By SnowMule:
A quick antenna replacement, DB420 down, DB408 up.  At least these are light, easy to manhandle without a gin pole.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-cD3RJJ9/0/L/i-cD3RJJ9-L.jpg

GMRS guys...
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-wjZSrnx/0/L/i-wjZSrnx-L.jpg

Checked over the other dishes/equipment while the ground crew serviced the generator and cleaned up the shack.
Temp and breeze was a little chilly once you got up above the tree canopy.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-xLPVjz3/0/L/i-xLPVjz3-L.jpg
View Quote

Were they not supposed to drill a hole there?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Spent some time on my 2m harris yesterday. Decided to do something different. Relay boards are legal limit boards with chip cap for 2 meters from W6PQL. Also added a solid state switch from him. Instead of putting everything external I decided I may as well put them in the amp. Going to run the LPF after the amp. Got rid of the proprietary connectors and added a BNC input, N output and an RCA for relay and amp keying. Going to machine a delrin plate for the power and ground wire lugs. And add 1 connector for the ground signal to power the amp on.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

After I soldered the power wire to the lug I read the note on his web page saying you need ferrites on the control cable to protect the mosfet. Well damn!  So ordered a ton of ferrites from mouser for my amp projects and the 1kv SMD caps for the LPF. Going to roll my own for this one as long as I can keep the insertion loss low enough.

I will need to add the Ferrites to the switch. Used RG-400 for all the connections to the relay boards. Also going to ferrite the control cable. Going inside the amp allowed me to find a 13v takeoff point to power the relay coils. And before I get burned by anyone here. Yes I know the shield to board joint are cold. My station did not have enough heat for those joints. Got my 120w iron and plan on going back over those. Wonderful thing about using teflon coax. All the shields were tinned, scored, and snapped off for clean install. The BNC and N connector were done the same. I added Teflon silver plated wire wrapped on the shield to bond to the ground lug and soldered in place.

Almost done with this amp, then I can move on to converting the AM-6154 tube amps to 432mhz.

Link Posted: Today 11:28:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nikdfish] [#39]
Did one last iteration of a portable vertical antenna loading coil to see how it would come out.  Just went for the maximum amount of potential inductance with a reasonable form factor.
This one is about 3" in diameter & a foot long  (75mm x 315mm).  It has the same clamp on tripod & thumb screw contact ring for adjustment as the earlier version(s).  Most of the winding core is hollow to save material & print time.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It uses a bit over 62' of 16 awg tinned copper buss wire, wrapped 80 times on 255mm of the grooved form.  There is a 3/8-24 thread extension on the top and a SO239 UHF connector on the bottom.

Source & files on printables:   https://www.printables.com/model/881007-portable-vertical-antenna-loading-coil-123-uh
Link Posted: Today 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Did one last iteration of a portable vertical antenna loading coil to see how it would come out.  Just went for the maximum amount of potential inductance with a reasonable form factor.
This one is about 3" in diameter & a foot long  (75mm x 315mm).  It has the same clamp on tripod & thumb screw contact ring for adjustment as the earlier version(s).  Most of the winding core is hollow to save material & print time.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/128622/PXL_20240515_222458090b_jpg-3215637.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/128622/PXL_20240515_222642979b_jpg-3215639.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/128622/PXL_20240515_222552203b_jpg-3215644.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/128622/PXL_20240515_222555805b_jpg-3215645.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/128622/PXL_20240515_224649278b_jpg-3215640.JPG

It uses a bit over 62' of 16 awg tinned copper buss wire, wrapped 80 times on 255mm of the grooved form.  There is a 3/8-24 thread extension on the top and a SO239 UHF connector on the bottom.

Source & files on printables:   https://www.printables.com/model/881007-portable-vertical-antenna-loading-coil-123-uh
View Quote

Excellent work, If you ever need something that needs to be turned or machined let me know. I have been 3d printing for a while now. Love my printers, I bought a Mill and Lathe last year and it is nice to be able to prototype and test fit stuff by printing it. Sometimes you need a part that is stronger than a 3d print, that is where the machines come in.
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top