Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2021 12:14:37 AM EDT
Sometime in the early 90’s my mom’s husband took me fly fishing for the first time. It was winter in Utah, he gave me some non-insulated hip waders that leaked, took me up to a river / stream outside of salt lake, gave me a crash course on how to use a fly rod and left me there while he walked further up stream.

It was freezing cold, snowing, I wasn’t dressed properly, had no idea what the heck I was doing. Basically turned me off from fly fishing for the rest of my life.

I do fish with a regular rod & reel. Recently I’ve decided I’d like to learn how to fly fish. I called my local Cabelas because I heard they have a fly fishing class. Unfortunately they no longer offer this. Does anyone know of anyplace in the north Fort Worth area that offers a fly fishing class?

Thank you
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 12:22:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Orvis if you have one near you
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#2]
See if one of these locations is close to where you'd like (not familiar with TX): https://www.orvis.com/fly-fishing-trips-united-states?prefn1=stateOrProvince&prefv1=Texas&start=0&sz=24
I used Orvis's site to find a place local to me for a class. Worked out.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 12:58:34 AM EDT
[#3]
My initiation to fly fishing was a two day Orvis class in CO.  it was worth it, second day was on the water, pretty much covered everything front casting retrieval,  presentation, choice of flies, hatch knowledge.  And at the end of the class, you got a substantial discount on Orvis products.

Sage does, or used to do clinics  in different venue's.   In terms of learning to tie flies, Sporting goods stores, usually run clinics during the off season.

There's numerous books, dvd's, and videos on aspects of flying fishing, but hands on is the best way to gain a solid foundation.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 1:37:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you guys. I will look into the link above.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#5]
One of the best things you can do is just get out there and fish. I have a torn up shoulder from a car accident so all the textbook casting stuff went out the window for me. I taught myself the basics and went on from there. You can learn way more on your own than you think you ever could just by getting out there and fishing.

Fly fishing is not hard to learn, it's not some special talent that you have to sink years into perfecting. Yes it can take a while to master all the techniques but that's part of the fun.

Good luck and I hope you take to it.   It's a great tool in the tool box for sure.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 11:26:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JaxShooter] [#6]
Clubs are generally a good bet.

Ours has at least one master caster who does free lessons before meetings.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 11:30:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MonkeyGrip] [#7]

Find a nearby pond with with Bluegill, Crappie, and Bass, get some gear, and thrash the water.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MonkeyGrip:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61kEWDxz6dL.jpg

Find a nearby pond with with Bluegill, Crappie, and Bass, get some gear, and thrash the water.  
View Quote

This was my first fly fishing book as well. That was over 30 years ago. It was a good one.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:19:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MonkeyGrip:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61kEWDxz6dL.jpg

View Quote
Yep, excellent book.

You are a day-and-a-half away from great fly fishing water in New Mexico and Colorado.  There is some fly-fishing on the Guadelupe.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:33:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -CUJO-] [#10]
Originally Posted By SideCarGT:
Orvis if you have one near you
View Quote

This is a good recommendation. Also, in a greater metro area like where you are, there should be a fly fishing club.  Most clubs are affiliated with Fly Fishers International (FFI). Usually each club will have board members in charge of things like fly tying, trips, fly casting, conservation, etc.  Most are willing to help a new member come up to speed.  There are so many aspects to fly fishing. . . The travel, camaraderie, fly tying, casting, etc.  You’ll have a blast.  Here’s a link to FFI that’ll get you off to a good start:

Fly Fishers International

There are many here that are better at it than I but please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

This is one of the better beginning fly fishing books that I recommend:

L. L. Bean Fly Fishing Handbook

Attachment Attached File
<———- Certified Fly Casting Instructor
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 10:14:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for all of the responses and information. Very helpful.

I have since found that there is a fly fishing club here in the Fort Worth area, and a couple of local fly fishing groups on FB.

Thanks again for all the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top