Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2020 1:53:07 PM EDT
So... my wife is about a 5 hour bike ride from me. With roads closing down and checkpoints, I thought about getting a mountain bike and riding down to see her and living out of a tent.

Don’t worry about the checkpoints. What should I get to survive?

I was a member forever ago. Forgot my username a password, but I know you guys can help me :)
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to say
A bike
A tent
And a credit card for when you realize how uncomfortable you'd be after riding a bike all day and then sleeping in a tent. (Hotel room)
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm going to say
A bike
A tent
And a credit card for when you realize how uncomfortable you'd be after riding a bike all day and then sleeping in a tent. (Hotel room)
View Quote

Sounds about right...
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you bike a lot now?  I'd start by getting the bike up to snuff by riding it locally first. Small little things show up to be big problems on a 5 hour ride.

How far are you thinking you are going to get in 5 hours?  

Don't be thinking they won't think to block bike trails too. Most can fit a car down them and they'll be closed off after the first redneck/squid goes around them on it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Lobotomy
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Bike repair kit and spare tubes.  Know how to do bike maintance,. If you get in a jam you can smart phone seatch youtube video for repair information.

Bike shorts and clothing.  Helmet.  Panniers and bag for bike or a pull along trailer if you have a lot of gear. If you are trying to be low profile just use a back pack.

The rest is just packing for camping.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#6]
If its 5 hours all you need is cardio and a repair kit
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#7]
FPNI
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#8]
A bike and a tent.

And a tie-dyed T shirt.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm going to say
A bike
A tent
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/30/2020 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Why do you need a tent if it's only five hours?
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 12:18:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Government shut down the hotels
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 1:37:06 AM EDT
[#12]
5 hour bike ride, why would you be needing a tent?
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Skip the tent. Get a hammock and tarp.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#14]
 A motor . I'm serious . I can't tell you how many of my bicycle riding acquaintances have been hit by vehicles in traffic . With the constant in vehicle use of cell phones motorcycling has become downright dangerous . Bicycling near or in traffic today is a death wish . YMMV .
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Well... Hotels are closed. "Stay at home" orders, I would be going from one state to another. I was stopped last time on the interstate, I probably couldn't get back into my home state now.

Hence the bike, going down backroads, bypassing cops and if stopped, I am "exercising."

Tent is if I cant get back. Also 5 hours of riding is enough for one day. I don't want to do that twice in a day.

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Weather will be a big factor. Where are you at and what climate will you be riding/camping in?
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I have given a lot of thought into a weekend like bike trip.  I would outfit a bike with the following:

Mountain bike
Rear pannier rack
Pannier bags
Hydration pack
Water bottles
Rain coat
Spare clothes
Water filter
Front and rear lights (as required by law while on the road)
Helmet
Food/energy snacks

Bike maintenance supplies:
Bike multi tool
Spare tire/inner tube
Tube repair kit
Tire removal tools
Tire air pump (hand pump or CO2)
Tire pressure gauge

Extended supplies:
Bike trailer
Bug out bag in waterproof bag (equipped as needed)
Tent / Hammock
Sleeping bag and mat

This is not a complete list by any means, but to help give you some ideas.

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm going to say
A bike
A tent
View Quote

That FPNI thing
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Probably not what you have in mind but white wine is kicking in.  Now I understand why bitches are crazy...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top