BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2021 1:33:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks good. Hot peppers do well inside. I have done them before. You can dry them in the oven or a dehydrator and they will keep forever.  Other option would spices like basil, cilantro,  thyme ect.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Hot peppers.

Like a row of little inteligence tests for co-workers.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Fresh oregano smells amazing. I vote that ??
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Little gem lettuce will grow quickly and is really tender. Great for salads. Hot peppers would do great, and I’d probably do something like radishes in a longer planter. I’d recommend fox farms soil if you can find it locally. All of our indoor veggies are potted in it and they do incredibly well.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#7]
If you can get away with it pole beans make really good window plants.
They'll pretty much fill in the window space and help with the greenhouse effect.
Had some in an apartment  in Atlanta that did really well, better than a curtain and
I like green beans.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#8]
A few thoughts based on what I do indoors in my grow tents:

Sweet potato - amazing indoor growers that will often flower if kept moist
Carrots - plant a little denser than you would in the garden
Radish - very quick to sprout and harvest and are attractive little plants
Turnips - quick growers, nice volume of foliage
Purple Pak-Choi, Red Rain, etc - lots of colorful asian greens to choose from

ETA:  I forgot to mention, all the leaves/greens from the above plants are edible... yes carrots and sweet potato leaves are.

One suggestion - I've found that these type plants do very well in "grow bags" (breathable soft sided containers).  The plants don't seem to suffer from being contained like they normally do in impermeable pots.  Below is an example, but you can find smaller sizes as well.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Bell peppers
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#10]
A small fan on a timer blowing for a few minutes every day will do wonders to help strengthen the stems of garden plants grown indoors, and help prevent them from getting all stringy reaching for the sun.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quick turn, continual harvest and herbs would be my focus for 80% of the space, specifically plants that you can plant relatively dense. With a small amount of effort you should be able to harvest a couple of salads a day. I won't go full ham but this short list may be helpful.

Continual harvest:

Garlic, onion and chives: The greens are the goal, not the bulb.
Tah Tsai: It's a great producer in a small package.
Mustard Greens: Too many to list, I focus on Mizunas specifically red/purple.
Parsley Pea: This plant has frilly tendrils that work well in sammiches and soup
Malabar Spinach: Is a vining plant that is prolific in it's production (not a true spinach)
Lettuce: Again, too many to list. I like playing with funky/cool/ rare varieties.

Quick turn:

Radish: Radishes grow fast (21-28 days, some specialty varieties may take longer) and you can grow a lot of them as they don't need too much space.
Carrot: Focus on Parisian and Chantenay varieties as they are not as long as the others. "Paris Market" is the type I grow as they are nice and compact while producing a wonderful little round carrot.
Turnip: Turnips are another overlooked and underappreciated root crop, (30-60 days)
Beets: Another underrated vegetable, (50-70 days)

Herbs:

All of them...If you can't grow all of them make sure to grow the ones you like and those that may be hard to find. Some fun/ interesting below.

Cutting Celery: "Cutting celery (also known as leaf celery) is bred expressly for leaf production."
Papalo: "Large, bluish green leaves with a flavor reminiscent of cilantro and arugula. Popular in Hispanic communities where it is used like cilantro."
Pipicha: "Similar to Papalo but with narrow leaves. Upright plants with flavor reminiscent of cilantro and arugula."
Shiso:

Seed vendors:

West Coast Seeds
Adaptive Seeds
Johnnys Seeds
Kitazawa Seeds
Siskiyou Seeds
Trade Winds Fruit
High Mowing Seeds
Deep Harvest Farm
Territorial Seeds
Resilient Seeds

Later I will go over the soil and containers I use. Cheers.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 8:05:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I have had good luck with peppers when I had a office with a window.  
I have to try the fan trick on some of the herbs I grow to keep them healthy.

I have also had good luck growing grape size tomatoes in my home bay window.
One year I had so many tomato plants growing in the window that I could not even see outside.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quick snapshot of some greens I just harvested for lunch today from the indoor hyrdoponics.

Tokyo Bekana, Giant Mustard, Red Rain, Rocket Arugula and Turnip Greens.

Link Posted: 10/25/2021 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Check out the Aerogarden hydroponic setups. We got one of the big ones so we can grow herbs, lettuce and other produce inside during the winter, plus get my seeds going early in the spring.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Y'all be aware that the fan is a great tool, but it will also dry your plants out more quickly.  Pay attention to the watering.

And for anybody new, you want the soil NOT WET.   Plant roots need air.   Not DRY, not WET.   "moist" is what you want.  And moist is a thing/status you might have to learn by experience.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have had good luck with peppers when I had a office with a window.  
I have to try the fan trick on some of the herbs I grow to keep them healthy.

I have also had good luck growing grape size tomatoes in my home bay window.
One year I had so many tomato plants growing in the window that I could not even see outside.

Y'all be aware that the fan is a great tool, but it will also dry your plants out more quickly.  Pay attention to the watering.

And for anybody new, you want the soil NOT WET.   Plant roots need air.   Not DRY, not WET.   "moist" is what you want.  And moist is a thing/status you might have to learn by experience.

More indoor plants have probably been killed by overwatering than underwatering.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 9:18:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 7:41:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top