Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2021 10:52:12 AM EDT
I just thought you would find this interesting.
The issue is that I live down in an hole and I didn't know if it was even possible to get high enough to get a signal. So in that interest, I wanted to run a test as cheaply as possible.

I have a 10ft plastic stick antenna, and a friend loaned me 80 ft of ham coax which was quite heavy.

I purchased 3 latex balloons which have a diameter of about 8 FEET each. I used 2 balloons at about 6 feet each then ran out of helium.  About $130 of helium from the machine shop. And I already had some other helium that was quite old and not very good but it helped. I was trying to lift about 7lbs. I got close enough. My original plan was to do this on a day when the shop was open so I could run and get more helium if necessary, I wish I had done that or just got the $200 tank of helium in the first place.

The balloons were able to carry the antenna and 40ft of cable under best conditions. When I got on the roof and supported it from there that gave me another 20 ft because the roof is 20 feet. I considered using a 10ft piece of PVC pipe to help get a bit higher but 60 ft did everything i wanted it to do. I had friends standing by to test.

It is plausible to get high enough to make it work, that was the whole point of this. If I cut down a tulip poplar and use that for a mast I can get 70ft with no guy wires and the tree is free. So I'll go with that. Money will have to be spent to waterproof the tree. And there will be work.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Just so you know, the helium will not stay in the balloons.  Diffusion is a thing.  You would have to keep adding helium on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just so you know, the helium will not stay in the balloons.  Diffusion is a thing.  You would have to keep adding helium on a regular basis.
View Quote

I knew it would be short lived with latex. Balloons did their job for about 6 hours. I was hoping for a lot more, but I would have needed to spend a lot more money, possibly money that would be nothing but a loss.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I knew it would be short lived with latex. Balloons did their job for about 6 hours. I was hoping for a lot more, but I would have needed to spend a lot more money, possibly money that would be nothing but a loss.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, I would have thought they would last longer than that, at least.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I was very successful using a sling shot to pay out line from a fishing reel.  I got my dipole up 45 feet  between two trees this way.  It takes patience, but it's cheap and eventually you will succeed.
Basically used this method:

Best Slingshot Antenna Launcher for Ham Radio Eas

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wow, I would have thought they would last longer than that, at least.
View Quote

In fairness the ballooons were only good enough to just barely get the antenna high enough. As soon as they lost a little lift, the antenna started to sink. I had hoped for 80ft of lift, I got 40 then climbed up on the roof to get another 20 because it was not good enough. The balloons were just barely floating.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was very successful using a sling shot to pay out line from a fishing reel.  I got my dipole up 45 feet  between two trees this way.  It takes patience, but it's cheap and eventually you will succeed.
Basically used this method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zc6Amc7vCY

View Quote

Why not just use the fishing pole to sling a weight over the tree, then use the line to pull the wire up?
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why not just use the fishing pole to sling a weight over the tree, then use the line to pull the wire up?
View Quote

You serious?  I'm not a fly fisher, but I would be most impressed by someone who could cast up into a tree and hit a particular branch without hanging up in 10 other branches.

With a sling shot I can get the line running EXACTLY over the branch I want.  I do this with the hope it will last years, so I pick a big sturdy fork/branch such that the line and antenna will not be rubbing on any other branches once it's pulled up.  With pulleys at each end and a counterweight it's possible to create a long-lived installation (and also to service it as needed).

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#9]
What bands were you operating on?
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What bands were you operating on?
View Quote

I was hitting the local ham repeaters, and also simplex, and also gmrs. The goal was to see how high I needed to get the antenna to get out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I've wondered a long time about using a tethered drone, no batteries, powered by the tether.  If large enough, you can put the transmitter on the drone & save yourself the coax signal loss.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've wondered a long time about using a tethered drone, no batteries, powered by the tether.  If large enough, you can put the transmitter on the drone & save yourself the coax signal loss.
View Quote

That would be a pretty big drone
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I was hitting the local ham repeaters, and also simplex, and also gmrs. The goal was to see how high I needed to get the antenna to get out.
View Quote

I would be willing to bet that you would have done better with a Yagi type antenna on a 20 or 30 foot mast, rather than a small rubber duckie on a balloon, no matter how high it was. Less complex, no need to blow hundreds of dollars on Helium.

You didn't say what kind of coax your were using. But I'm guessing it was RG-58 because anything heavier probably wouldn't work with the balloons. You've got over 3dB of loss there. You didn't say what kind of antenna you were using ("10ft plastic stick" is meaningless), but even the best verticals are only going to provide 4 or 5 dB of gain. A modest, six element Yagi will get you 11dB of gain. Feed the Yagi with say 40ft of RG8 for a loss of about 1dB and you're looking at 10dB of gain vs. maybe 2, and that's being generous depending on what the "plastic stick" was.

I realize that line-of-sight might be an issue, but still bet the Yagi on a mast approach would perform much better.

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 2:53:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  That would be a pretty big drone
View Quote

Might be smaller than OP's balloons.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just did this yesterday. Used a slingshot with a fishing reel and a 2 oz. lead weight. This thing never fails. I almost always get it where I want it on the first try. The tree was about 70 ft high. The weight flew right over it, right where I aimed it.

The antenna was an "Ed Fong" 2m/440 version. It does ok at about 65 ft. but not nearly as good as my Comet GP9 at 30 feet. I didn't expect miracles as it is a crappy antenna to begin with.

BTW, when I read the title, I was expecting to read about a very long vertical, suspended by balloons and tuned on 160 metes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  BTW, when I read the title, I was expecting to read about a very long vertical, suspended by balloons and tuned on 160 metes.
View Quote

This would seem to be the better option, as you don't have to lift the weight of the coax.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Just did this yesterday. Used a slingshot with a fishing reel and a 2 oz. lead weight. This thing never fails. I almost always get it where I want it on the first try. The tree was about 70 ft high. The weight flew right over it, right where I aimed it.

The antenna was an "Ed Fong" 2m/440 version. It does ok at about 65 ft. but not nearly as good as my Comet GP9 at 30 feet. I didn't expect miracles as it is a crappy antenna to begin with.

BTW, when I read the title, I was expecting to read about a very long vertical, suspended by balloons and tuned on 160 metes.
View Quote

The one I have currently is a GP-6. I don't have trees closer than about 150 ft, then I would have to raise the antenna about 65 feet. What I have done instead is cut down one of the trees and dragged it over with the truck. Lifting it will be challenting, but I wll reduce my amount of coax and I will be able to lower the tree to work on antennas, depending on how long the tree will last.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Does anyone make a WiFi controlled radio?
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I paid a tree climber to put a pole with antena up in one of my tallest trees. There are motors that will turn it also.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The one I have currently is a GP-6. I don't have trees closer than about 150 ft, then I would have to raise the antenna about 65 feet. What I have done instead is cut down one of the trees and dragged it over with the truck. Lifting it will be challenting, but I wll reduce my amount of coax and I will be able to lower the tree to work on antennas, depending on how long the tree will last.
View Quote

You could run a 150-some feet of very low loss Heliax hardline to the tree and maybe a piece of LR-400 equivalent, up the tree. The money you spent on helium gas would pay for half the coax.
Heliax can be buried. Just rent a "Ditch Witch" at a Home Depot for half the day and you are done.

If you want to go real fancy and shoot even higher, buy an arborer's slingshot with a weight bag and their special rope. It's a slingshot on steroids. The special pull line will save you lots of time.
This is what guys at the club have been using for hanging Field Day antennas. I've been very tempted to buy one for myself. Probably will get it soon.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You could run a 150-some feet of very low loss Heliax hardline to the tree and maybe a piece of LR-400 equivalent, up the tree. The money you spent on helium gas would pay for half the coax.
Heliax can be buried. Just rent a "Ditch Witch" at a Home Depot for half the day and you are done.

If you want to go real fancy and shoot even higher, buy an arborer's slingshot with a weight bag and their special rope. It's a slingshot on steroids. The special pull line will save you lots of time.
This is what guys at the club have been using for hanging Field Day antennas. I've been very tempted to buy one for myself. Probably will get it soon.
View Quote

One issue I am running into with running an antenna up a tree is that the trees near my house are like skinny telephone poles with sticks coming off like a porcupine, more or less. Anything I run up the tree will be dragged up agains the tree and through the sticks as it goes. Ground plane wires will be bent, broken, or get hung up.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#22]
the antenna moving around in wind would cause issues the same way a bobbing dipole might act up?
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That would be a pretty big drone
View Quote

I fly a pretty large drone at work and I've been curious how much extra weight it could lift.  Maybe a simple roll-up J pole with coax attached.

ETA:  According to the manufacturer my drone has a max payload weight of about 6 pounds, so raising an antenna with it really isn't practical at all.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
the antenna moving around in wind would cause issues the same way a bobbing dipole might act up?
View Quote

...and because the balloons were just barely enough to lift the antenna and 40ft of cable(I had 80ft), it pretty much was equal to the weight of smoke. It moved around like smoke.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:  I fly a pretty large drone at work and I've been curious how much extra weight it could lift.  Maybe a simple roll-up J pole with coax attached.

ETA:  According to the manufacturer my drone has a max payload weight of about 6 pounds, so raising an antenna with it really isn't practical at all.
View Quote

How much does a handheld weigh?  How much does 10m of copper wire weigh?
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mylar balloons retain the helium a lot longer than latex or any other kind of rubber.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm imagining a helium dirigible repeater...  
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm imagining a helium dirigible repeater...  
View Quote

I watched a video the other day of a working class drone. It was big. If I understand it correctly it has a gasoline engine that powers a generator, that supplies power to the electric motors that keep it up. It had a run time of like 6
hours on a tank of gasoline.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:  I watched a video the other day of a working class drone. It was big. If I understand it correctly it has a gasoline engine that powers a generator, that supplies power to the electric motors that keep it up. It had a run time of like 6
hours on a tank of gasoline.
View Quote

You can 3-D print anything you want these days, and if you're tethering it for your antenna cable, you may as run power for the motors up the same line.  If power goes out, either have a UPS and land immediately or have an auto parachute release.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

My guess is as soon as you transmit, that drone is coming down hard.

The RF right at the drone will not work well
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:  My guess is as soon as you transmit, that drone is coming down hard.

The RF right at the drone will not work well
View Quote

Wrap all the electronics in aluminum foil?  Given that we're tethered, maybe you put all the electronics at the bottom of the tether, and just run power to the motors up the tether.  Or just directly power the motors at full throttle through the tether.  You won't get GPS station keeping in moderate wind, though.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Wrap all the electronics in aluminum foil?  Given that we're tethered, maybe you put all the electronics at the bottom of the tether, and just run power to the motors up the tether.  Or just directly power the motors at full throttle through the tether.  You won't get GPS station keeping in moderate wind, though.
View Quote

Very interesting. I believe I've heard rumors of some guys working on this to put up hasty coms. Truck rolls up, drone up, coms up.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#33]
A friend of mine and I were batting around the idea of making a full sized 160 meter ground plane antenna with helium balloons.

Yeah, it was a pipe dream but we figured out how.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#34]
I would think wind be a bad thing.  Lightning even worse.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:  I would think wind be a bad thing.  Lightning even worse.
View Quote

"Here, eracer, hold this line for a minute..."  

True.  Mitigated by a large drone that is fully battery operated w/ transmitter & antenna on board, w/ WiFi control of drone & transmitter (repeater?), or a fiber optic non conducting tether.  Or just don't fly in storms, as any US Navy dirigible pilot would tell you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top